• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My first gen 5 team

Benacus

This is my first 5th gen team and I think it's alright but I need some input on some things I might want to change

:571: Zoroark @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Illusion
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Hasty Nature
- Night Daze
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

This is my starter, disguising itself as Gengar (whom I keep in back), I can usually get a hit or two off that the enemy wouldn't expect before I either get KO'd or have to switch out. Since Zoroark either resists or is immune to Gengar's weaknesses, they make a good team.

:612: Haxorus @ Focus Sash
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 220 Spd / 252 Atk / 36 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Brick Break

Aside from entry hazards and sandstorm teams, I have found a way to boost without having to stress about Haxorus getting KO'd because of the focus sash. After the initial boost I can either take advantage of a defender setting up and hit DD again or just go straight into sweeping.

;468; Togekiss @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 126 SDef / 4 SAtk / 126 Def
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

This Togekiss set up was my favorite in 4th gen because if it hits you with Thunder Wave, I can use Air Slash/Serene Grace combo to give an enemy very little chance to attack back. On the times it does hit me back I just roost off the damage and go back to business.

;091; Cloyster @ Leftovers
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Spd / 84 Atk / 168 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Spear
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash/Toxic Spikes

This is something I'm not 100% sure about in my team. I know I need a solid rapid spinner but I don't know if I should try to sweep or support with Cloyster. Icicle spear hits for 125 plus STAB aside Shell Smash is an excellent combo, however with the lack of entry hazards in my team I wonder if Toxic Spikes would be better.

;373; Salamence @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 126 Atk / 130 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

This is another pokemon I'm not sure I love in this team because it gives me another Ice/Rock weakness but it is a very hard pokemon to counter because of the type coverage hitting everything for at least neutral damage. However I feel it gets overshadowed by Haxorus in this team.

;094; Gengar @ Wide Lens
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Thunder/Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hypnosis

Finally my Gengar. It's a little different than most because I opted for the Wide Lens, making focus blast and hypnosis much more accurate. I use Shadow Ball for STAB, Thunder (Boosted by wide lens and very effective for rain teams) or Thunderbolt for bulky waters, Focus Blast for coverage, and hypnosis for anybody else.

Last edited:

silverangel

Metal Fairy
Shell Smash is always the better option for Cloyster. If you want hazards, I recommend using a Donphan or a Claydol over Haxorus, as they can both RELIABLY spin and set Stealth Rock, which is so much more useful for the team than Toxic Spikes.

If Salamence is running Intimidate, I think you should use Dragon Dance over Draco Meteor, but I never used Salamence before (so mainstream), so I'm not sure what you should use.

No Wide Lens. It is too unreliable, as even Hypnosis only gets 66% accuracy after a 10% boost (I think). If you want a way to get past Gengar's usual counters, as SubDisable set is more effective. Use Substitute and Disable over Thunder and Hypnosis. First, you sub, then you Disable the opponent's upcoming supereffective attack so they can't use it on you. Also, use Leftovers over Wide Lens.

That's all for now....

Cloyster is not a very good Rapid Spinner as it takes 25% damage from Stealth Rock. Replace it with Rock Blast. Also try Hydro Pump > Razor Shell for physical walls, especially Skarmory.