• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My First ORAS Team (Singles)

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Okay, so I'm building my first ORAS Team, and I'd like some help. I see a few holes and things I don't know what to do with, but I figured you guys could help. Anyway, this team is made to cripple the opponents, then sweep. Here we go:

Espeon with Light Clay
252 HP 252 Spe 4 Def
Timid Nature
Magic Bounce

Light Screen
Reflect
Baton Pass
Psychic

I figured I could start with this, to help set up dual screens for my next 2 pokemon. With Magic Bounce, it can stop any kind of entry hazards among other things. It has baton pass to avoid pursuit, and psychic to avoid being taunt bait. I was thinking about changing the EV spread, but I'm not sure what I'd change it to. Maybe invest in some special attack?

Rotom (Heat) with Leftovers
252 HP 252 Def 4 SpA
Bold Nature
Levitate

Overheat
Volt Switch
Thunder Wave
Protect

This one is something I'm pretty sure I want to use, but I'm not 100% sure how to use it. I know I want volt switch and overheat, because volt switch can help with Crobat's U-turn. I was thinking thunder wave since Dusclops has Will-o-wisp, but with protect, it seems pointless... This one needs a lot of help. I am willing to change to another pokemon if anyone thinks there's something better to use.

Crobat with Black Sludge
248 HP 80 Atk 4 SpD 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
Infiltrator

Toxic
U-turn
Brave Bird
Roost

Okay, this one seems like a pretty good idea. I like using toxic to cripple opponents, and when you use it alongside reflect and light screen, you won't be getting dealt too much damage... I got rid of Defog for U-turn so it can switch between rotom or espeon. Brave bird is its attack, and roost is what it is: healing.

Dusclops with Eviolite
252 HP 4 Def 252 SpD
Calm Nature
Pressure

Will-o-Wisp
Protect
Pain Split
Night Shade

Despite Knock Off being more common, this thing has done wonders when I've used it in X. I gave it a calm nature because will-o-wisp already helps with physical attacks, and I also have rotom heat for defense. Pain Split can recover a lot of health if used right, protect scouts for Knock Off and lets Will-o-Wisp deal some more free damage, and Night Shade deals damage. I wanted Seismic Toss, but I don't have access to that.

Ferrothorn with Rocky Helmet
252 HP 252 Def? 4 SpD?
Brave Nature
Iron Barbs

Gyro Ball
Leech Seed
Protect
Stealth Rock/Power Whip

I know this could have some good use on this team, but some things about it are uncertain. I know I want leech seed and protect, but I'm not sure about its other moves. Anyway, Leech Seed and Protect will help cripple any opponents that aren't grass types, and Gyro Ball deals damage to grass types that are immune to Leech Seed. Stealth Rock is something I'm unsure about. I'm not sure whether to use that or Power Whip.

And lastly... my mega.

Sharpedo with Sharpedonite
4 HP 252 Atk 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Speed Boost

Protect
Waterfall
Crunch
Ice Fang/Earthquake

This thing is my pride and joy, having already obtained it in X. I use protect the first turn to raise it's speed, then sweep. I know I want waterfall and crunch, but that last slot is up for grabs. Ice Fang could be used alongside Strong Jaw, and earthquake helps with other types.

As I said, this has a few flaws, so I'm posting it here to get some opinions. I like some of the ideas, but I'm not sure what I'd do against heal bell or aromatherapy... Thanks you guys for all the help!

TurtwigAndSquirtle

I like turtles
Sharpedo with Sharpedonite
4 HP 252 Atk 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Speed Boost

Protect
Waterfall
Crunch
Ice Fang/Earthquake

This thing is my pride and joy, having already obtained it in X. I use protect the first turn to raise it's speed, then sweep. I know I want waterfall and crunch, but that last slot is up for grabs. Ice Fang could be used alongside Strong Jaw, and earthquake helps with other types.

Ice Fang is probably better then Earthquake, it has better coverage, and with Mega Sharpedo's Strong Jaw, does a similar amount of damage, not to mention the freeze and flinch chances.

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
In your description of Rotom-H, you said you knew you wanted Overheat but you didn't say why you wanted. Is there a particular pokemon you're hitting with it?

Also on Ferrothorn, as far as moves go, I'd go with Power Whip|Leech Seed|Protect|Stealth Rocks. Stealth Rocks are a huge help to any team, racking up damage over time as opponents switch in and out, especially with the prevalence of Volt-turn. As for the EVs, they can kind of be tailored to whatever you need ferrothorn to wall. If your team is more threatened by some Special attackers, you'll be wanting to invest more into SpD, and vice versa. If you could tell us what pokemon you've found yourself being defeated by frequently, that may help.

Bridgeman

Crobat with Black Sludge
248 HP 80 Atk 4 SpD 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
Infiltrator

Toxic
U-turn
Brave Bird
Roost

Okay, this one seems like a pretty good idea. I like using toxic to cripple opponents, and when you use it alongside reflect and light screen, you won't be getting dealt too much damage... I got rid of Defog for U-turn so it can switch between rotom or espeon. Brave bird is its attack, and roost is what it is: healing.

Would it not be better to run Toxic on another Pokemon such as Rotom-H or Dusclops, that being said. You already have 3 status affects on your team. The need to run one on a sweeper/speedy frail Pokemon such as Crobat could be risky. It does not get outsped easily, but it cannot take many hits, that being said. It could run Cross Poison to utilize it's STAB or Poison Fang. That way you could invest in 252 ATK, 4 HP, and 252 Speed. Then leaving your tanks, Dusclops and Rotom-H to be switched into with U-Turn.

Also you do not have any sort of Special Attack Damage leaving you with not many options against a full blown Attack Tank, like Slowbro or another Ferrothorn.

But those are my opinions. But thank you for reading, can't wait to see your final team.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Well, this team is all over the place...

Espeon: Almost identical to my set. You can move four HP EVs into Def to allow more switches under Stealth Rock.

Baton Pass is practically useless because hardly anyone runs Pursuit anymore. And if they do, the damage dealt to Espeon after Reflect is pathetic, provided you don't switch. Moonlight or Dazzling Gleam prove more useful, allowing Espeon to heal itself or hit Dark Types late game (it's not even going to 2HKO early). Alternatively you can run Wish to be able to freely switch into something else.

Rotom: Rotom Heat's only advantage over Rotom Wash is the ability to resist Mega Altaria's Return. That being said, I won't tell you to take it off your team, but I will tell you to replace Thunder Wave with Will-O-Wisp and Protect with Pain Split.

Crobat: Crobat's defenses are too poor to toxic stall. If you want to use Crobat, you're better off running a Choice Band set or just replacing it with a tougher bird like Talonflame or Staraptor.

(If you run Talonflame, you can replace Rotom Heat with Wash to have a nice Fire Water Grass core.

Ferrothorn: Run Shed Shell over Rocky Helmet to allow you to escape Magnezone and Gothitelle. You can run Thunder Wave over Protect to cripple other sweepers and win free turns with parahax. Make sure you use Stealth Rocks.

The rest of your team won't keep up. You're running screens and nothing to abuse them. I recommend using set-up sweepers like Charizard X, Gyarados, or anything you can think of. Make sure they have enough bulk to do so.

TurtwigAndSquirtle

I like turtles
Espeon with Light Clay
252 HP 252 Spe 4 Def
Timid Nature
Magic Bounce

Light Screen
Reflect
Baton Pass
Psychic

I figured I could start with this, to help set up dual screens for my next 2 pokemon. With Magic Bounce, it can stop any kind of entry hazards among other things. It has baton pass to avoid pursuit, and psychic to avoid being taunt bait. I was thinking about changing the EV spread, but I'm not sure what I'd change it to. Maybe invest in some special attack?

Maybe you could give it something to Baton Pass.

Togia

The Gawd
Well, this team is all over the place...

Espeon: Almost identical to my set. You can move four HP EVs into Def to allow more switches under Stealth Rock.

Baton Pass is practically useless because hardly anyone runs Pursuit anymore. And if they do, the damage dealt to Espeon after Reflect is pathetic, provided you don't switch. Moonlight or Dazzling Gleam prove more useful, allowing Espeon to heal itself or hit Dark Types late game (it's not even going to 2HKO early). Alternatively you can run Wish to be able to freely switch into something else.

Rotom: Rotom Heat's only advantage over Rotom Wash is the ability to resist Mega Altaria's Return. That being said, I won't tell you to take it off your team, but I will tell you to replace Thunder Wave with Will-O-Wisp and Protect with Pain Split.

Crobat: Crobat's defenses are too poor to toxic stall. If you want to use Crobat, you're better off running a Choice Band set or just replacing it with a tougher bird like Talonflame or Staraptor.

(If you run Talonflame, you can replace Rotom Heat with Wash to have a nice Fire Water Grass core.

Ferrothorn: Run Shed Shell over Rocky Helmet to allow you to escape Magnezone and Gothitelle. You can run Thunder Wave over Protect to cripple other sweepers and win free turns with parahax. Make sure you use Stealth Rocks.

The rest of your team won't keep up. You're running screens and nothing to abuse them. I recommend using set-up sweepers like Charizard X, Gyarados, or anything you can think of. Make sure they have enough bulk to do so.

I agree with this suggestion. The only thing I would like to add is to put a wallbreaker of some sort on your team. I can see physical walls like Slowbro and Sableye being very problematic. Either that or putting in another special attacker. It's a bit hard to give suggestions without talking in real time though.

What's the whole concept of your team? Are you trying to center it around a specific idea or Pokemon?

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
Due to how much coverage Fire and Electric get together, I'd probably use Rotom-Heat as a bulky Special sweeper. Personally I'd run it with Volt Switch, Overheat, Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball, and Trick, and have it hold Choice Specs. Between those three moves, the only pokemon that can resist them all is the Hydreigon line, and Trick can be used to neutralize physically powerful pokemon and Eviolite users. The choice of Dark Pulse versus Shadow Ball is whether you'd prefer to hit a small handful more pokemon significantly harder or just hit everything resistant to both Fire and Electric slightly harder overall. You could also try Thunderbolt to have a more powerful Electric move to lock yourself into, and Signal Beam offers a unique coverage option, although you'd remain walled by a few other things and it's less powerful than the other two choices. 248 HP, 252 SpAtt, and 8 in either Speed or one of its defenses. He's still a great defensive option, but he's got a bit more to fear from anything that runs EQ and has Mold Breaker, particularly Haxorus and Excadrill.

If you're planning to run a defensive Crobat, you may actually be better off with Golbat with Eviolite. Depending on the format this team's for, this may mean replacing Disclops with something else, though, if you have to run with an item clause. But yeah, Eviolite Golbat has better bulk overall. However, you'll probably want to stick to Defog if you do, because that means Ferrothorn's the only thing that's cool with switching into Stealth Rocks.

For your Sharpedo, I'd honestly run Ice Fang, EQ, and Crunch and forget Waterfall. I know Waterfall's a powerful move for it, but the synergy between Ice and Ground can't be denied, and considering Crunch benefits from both Strong Jaw and STAB you really don't want to drop it. I'd say if you're bold enough you could forgo Protect instead and either give it Waterfall, Aqua Jet, or Poison Jab for additional coverage; Waterfall is obviously a powerful move, but Aqua Jet can pick off weakened foes and Poison Jab is a surprise to use against slow weakened Fairies. If you go that route, though, Sharpedo's gonna have to act as a revenge killer, and you need to be sure regular Sharpedo will be both strong enough and fast enough to kill whatever it comes in on, since you will no longer have the luxury of knowing you'll survive the first hit against you. (Also yes, I realize he gets Poison Fang, but Poison Jab is stronger even with Strong Jaw accounted for, and those extra five points of damage could be the difference between a dead Florges or a dead Sharpedo).