• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My First Pokemon Competitive Team

Which is better: Blaziken, Infernape, or Emboar?

• Blaziken

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Infernape

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Emboar

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
Thundurus @Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EV's: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 HP
Nature: Timid (+Speed -Attack)
-Discharge
-Taunt
-U-Turn
-HP Ice
I usually use this set to cripple Pokemon like Whimsicott who Sub-Seed. I have HP Ice for the occasional Scarfed-Dragon Lead, U-Turn to scout and Discharge as an obvious stab move. Usually, if I know there is a Sub-Seeder or Sub-Puncher, I get out of there with U-Turn and save him for later. If I get taken down to my sash, then I switch out. If there are any Pokemon that have entry hazards, I try to take them out before I Rapid Spin the Entry Hazards away with Starmie. If Starmie faints, I use Thundurus as switch-fodder.

Ferrothorn @Rocky Helmet
Ability:Iron Barbs
EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Defense, 4 HP
Nature: Relaxed (+Defense -Speed)
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip
-Thunder Wave
-Spikes
I use Ferrothorn to cripple quick Pokemon that I might face, like Infernape or Blaziken, then switch out. I also put 0 IV's into speed so I can use Gyro Ball even more effectively. Of course, I use him for switch-ins for Pokemon that use moves that will harm the rest of my team. I think I need more help with Ferrothorn, because using walls is tough for me.

Garchomp @Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Nature: Jolly (+Speed -Special Attack)
-Outrage
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
I love this set! I found it on Smogon and it really has worked effectively for me in Pokemon Online. If Thundurus can't Taunt a Baton Passing Shell Smasher, Usually I can still take them out due to the Choice Scarf. Although having a choiced Pokemon is very hard sometimes, usually Garchomp can sweep for me effectively after some switch outs and Switch fodders.

Blaziken @Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Adamant (+Attack -Special Attack)
-Hi Jump Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Stone Edge
-Brave Bird
This Blaziken is another big attacker on my team, and has great type coverage with the moves I have on it. Opponents I have faced have been fine with Blaziken as long as he is Blaze, so I don't have trouble with the whole Uber thing. He is a great revenge killer and Infernape could be a change for Blaziken, but I don't think I should use Emboar due to a lack of Speed.

Starmie @Lum Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EV's: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Nature: Modest (+Special Attack -Attack)
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
Good rapid spinner, can usually outspeed Dragon types to take them out with Ice Beam. I also use Recover if I need it. I think that maybe changing Scald for Hydro Pump because it has the burn chance, and more accurate.

Umbreon @Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EV's:252 HP, 252 Special Defense, 4 Attack
Nature: Careful (+Special Defense -Special Attack)
-Sucker Punch
-Toxic
-Moonlight
-Heal Bell
Heal Bell is an AMAZING move for Umbreon, due to Will-o-Wisping Dusclops and Dusknoirs, and Pokemon that cripple me using Thunder Wave. Toxic is great, but I think if I had another crippling move it would be better because Steel Pokemon are used a lot in OU. Moonlight is a great Recovering move, and is great for Toxic Stalling.

Last edited:
Thundurus @Focus Sash
-Discharge
-Taunt
-U-Turn
-HP Ice
I usually use this set to cripple Pokemon like Whimsicott who Sub-Seed. I have HP Ice for the occasional Scarfed-Dragon Lead, U-Turn to scout and Discharge as an obvious stab move. Usually, if I know there is a Sub-Seeder or Sub-Puncher, I get out of there with U-Turn and save him for later. If I get taken down to my sash, then I switch out. If there are any Pokemon that have entry hazards, I try to take them out before I Rapid Spin the Entry Hazards away with Starmie. If Starmie faints, I use Thundurus as switch-fodder.

Ferrothorn @Leftovers
Ability:Iron Barb
EV's: 252 Hp, 252 SDef, 4 Def
Nature: Sassy (+SDef, -Speed)
-Gyro Ball/Thunder-Wave
-Power Whip
-Leech Seed
-Spikes
I use Ferrothorn to cripple quick Pokemon that I might face, like Infernape or Blaziken, then switch out. I also put 0 IV's into speed so I can use Gyro Ball even more effectively. Of course, I use him for switch-ins for Pokemon that use moves that will harm the rest of my team. I think I need more help with Ferrothorn, because using walls is tough for me.
This is more defensive wall set I use works very well BTW its usualyy not a good idea to run t-wave and gyro ball in the same set since t-wave will ruin gyro balls power..
Garchomp @Choice Scarf
-Outrage
-Stone Edge/Fire Blast
-Earthquake
-Dragon ClawDual Chop
I love this set! I found it on Smogon and it really has worked effectively for me in Pokemon Online. If Thundurus can't Taunt a Baton Passing Shell Smasher, Usually I can still take them out due to the Choice Scarf. Although having a choiced Pokemon is very hard sometimes, usually Garchomp can sweep for me effectively after some switch outs and Switch fodders.
Fire blast hits steels hard and dual chop hits common substituters
Blaziken @Life Orb
-Hi Jump Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Stone Edge
-Brave Bird
This Blaziken is another big attacker on my team, and has great type coverage with the moves I have on it. Opponents I have faced have been fine with Blaziken as long as he is Blaze, so I don't have trouble with the whole Uber thing. He is a great revenge killer and Infernape could be a change for Blaziken, but I don't think I should use Emboar due to a lack of Speed.
Infernape might be better just try out infernape
Starmie @Lum Berry
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
Good rapid spinner, can usually outspeed Dragon types to take them out with Ice Beam. I also use Recover if I need it. I think that maybe changing Scald for Hydro Pump because it has the burn chance, and more accurate.

Umbreon @Leftovers
-Sucker Punch/protect maybe?
-Toxic
-Moonlight
-Heal Bell
Heal Bell is an AMAZING move for Umbreon, due to Will-o-Wisping Dusclops and Dusknoirs, and Pokemon that cripple me using Thunder Wave. Toxic is great, but I think if I had another crippling move it would be better because Steel Pokemon are used a lot in OU. Moonlight is a great Recovering move, and is great for Toxic Stalling.
Protect maybe for stalling purposes??

Good team I might see a DrizlleToad fitting quite well with this team idk just a tought. Hope this helps

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
Hmm... I don't think I want to change my Ferrothorn's EV spread, but leech seed instead of Thunder Wave is something I TOTALLY overlooked. I also think that if I put Fire Fang on my Garchomp instead of Stone Edge it could be Ok, or maybe a Fighting move to hit steels? But Fire Fang is good for hitting Scizor, Ferrothorn and Forretress. The Dual Chop recomendation is a great idea for Sub-Seeders and Sub-Punchers. I am not sure about Infernape, but I think I will try both on Pokemon Online first. I think I need one attacking move on Umbreon, because he can do a little against Psychic types and Ghost types.

Kerosene

Super Palkia
Just a suggestion, maybe use blissey instead of umbreon. Blissey is a much better special wall and has Aromatherapy, but has lesser offenses.

windsong

WEST SIDE
Hes using blaziken with blaze, bot speed boost

It's still banned. Speed Boost Blaziken wasn't banned; Blaziken in general was.

edit: i don't have time to give a full rate now, but just gonna say that a lot completely wrecks you -- sand, the genies, the musketeers, stall, Lati@s, Reuiniculous, Rotom-W, and CB Scizor, just to name a few. I'd drop Starmie for a bulky scarf Rotom-W, who covers a lot of your problems, and drop Umbreon for Skarmory, who deals with most of your other major issues. With this change, I'd also toss a spinblocker onto the team somewhere, and change Ferrothorn's EVspread to max HP/SpDef to take hits from Latios.

I'll be back with a full rate later; feel free to vm me if I forget.

Last edited:

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
Do you have any suggestions for the Rotom-W set? And I think I might change my Ferrothorn EV spread. But I like Umbreon because it is a Heal Beller, so i'm not sure if I want to change that out.

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
Would you think a good Reuniclus would do good for Umbreon?

hallstromjr

Boston Celtic
Thundurus @Focus Sash
-Discharge
-Taunt
-U-Turn
-HP Ice

Ferrothorn @Leftovers
Ability:Iron Barbs
EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Defense, 4 HP
Nature: Relaxed (+Defense -Speed)
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip
-Curse
-Spikes
Then make it a tank! Curse it up! Thunderwave messes up Gyro Ball anyways. Whats the point of Rocky Helmet, when someone smart wouldnt even hit Ferro with a physical move anyway. Leftovers will give it more of a walling capability.

Garchomp @Choice Scarf
-Outrage
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
-Dual Chop
Dual Chop breaks Subs for you. And Fire Blast will hit steels harder because of the lack of SpD on Steel types. Run a damage calculation.

Blaziken @Life Orb
-Hi Jump Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Stone Edge
-Brave Bird
Emboar is a no-no. Infernape can do this fine as well. This is too frail in my opinion, but it works.

Starmie @Life Orb
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
Lum Berry is alright, but the extra damage from Life Orb can benefeit Starmie more. You might want to consider Ice Beam over Hydro Pump for BoltBeam coverage.

Umbreon @Leftovers
-Sucker Punch
-Toxic
-Moonlight
-Heal Bell
There isnt really another crippling move you use.

My comments are in bold.

Last edited:

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
I changed my team out. Now I have a Rotom-W switched out with Starmie, different set up on my Ferrothorn, and I switched out Umbreon for Reuniclus. Thanks for the info guys!

Chocolatepie2

I travel by TARDIS
You don't seem to mention why you have discharge on Thndurus, who is much too frail to be spreading paralysis anyways. You should replace it with Thunderbolt unless there is something I've missed.

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
K, I will probably put T-Bolt on then.

mudkips

Awwwww Yeah!
blaze blaziken is uber as well (random) and Chomp is uber-_- maybye replace chomp with a dragonite or a salamence or a heidreigon or a haxorus or a FLYGON^_^

McDanger

blaze blaziken is uber as well (random) and Chomp is uber-_- maybye replace chomp with a dragonite or a salamence or a heidreigon or a haxorus or a FLYGON^_^

i agree, flygon makes a good scout and the others, especially multi scale dragonite, are good sweepers

xScruffyx

Just a suggestion, maybe use blissey instead of umbreon. Blissey is a much better special wall and has Aromatherapy, but has lesser offenses.

Imo, Umbreon > blissey as a wall. Yes blissey has 5 more base sp.def than umbreon but where does blisseys evs go? Def. Umbreon has 100 more base def than blissey so umbreon can put evs in sp.def. I love my umbreon. Stops special attackers in their tracks.

xScruffyx

I changed my team out. Now I have a Rotom-W switched out with Starmie, different set up on my Ferrothorn, and I switched out Umbreon for Reuniclus. Thanks for the info guys!

But I see you already got rid of umbreon haha so nevermind then.

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
But I see you already got rid of umbreon haha so nevermind then.

Well, I still use him for another team that I use. But that team is UU, and Umbreon is a great wall for both tiers.