• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My first rain team

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
I've never made a rain team before.

I guess I'll do this teambuilding thing:

;245; ;461;
I originally wanted a team centered around Weavile and Suicune, two UU mon that could probably do well in OU. Weavile has great attack and speed, Suicune has great defenses.

;245; ;488; ;461;
Cresselia seemed like a nice partner for Suicune and would be good for sucking up fighting attacks aimed at Weavile.

;245; ;488; ;461; ;212; (Thundurus-T has no sprite)
I added Thundurus-T and Scizor, thinking they would work well.

;245; ;488; ;461; ;212; ;186; (TT)
At this point I realized that I had a rain team... Took me long enough. So in goes politoed.

;208; ;488; ;461; ;212; ;186; (TT)
I needed someone for stealth rocks but I didn't want them to be too generic of a rain team. And Suicune wasn't doing nearly as much as he could have. Steelix? Whatever, nobody uses it but I'll try it out. It has nice defense.

:598: ;488; ;461; ;212; ;186; (TT)
**** that, Steelix blows in OU. Let's just go with Ferrothorn.

So, here's the team.

:598: Felix the Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs, Relaxed
252 HP / 168 SDef / 88 Def
0 Spe IVs
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
Wall. Not too happy with him, I want to give him leech seed but I think he needs more than just gyro ball. Maybe take out gyroball and give him leech seed, so he can still power whip? And I prefer SR over spikes.

;488; Celia the Cresselia @ Leftovers
Levitate, Bold
252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Lunar Dance
Not as exciting as I thought it would be. I think I might switch her for a sub/calm mind set. Her special attack isn't nearly strong enough to do much at all.

;461; Vilo the Weavile @ Life Orb
Pressure, Jolly
32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Low Kick
I consider her my anti-lead, except against sun teams where I switch her in later. She's super fast and can outspeed almost anything except Scizor's bullet punches, in which case I have to switch out. Decent coverage, and a chance to boost attack.

TT the Thundurus-T @ Expert Belt
Volt Absorb, Timid
4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast
Pretty strong, Expert Belt helps with increasing damage, taking into account his massive coverage. I wish he was a little bit faster, but oh well.

;212; See the Scizor @ Life Orb
Technician, Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost
- Swords Dance
If he pulls a swords dance off he should be absolutely fine. Bullet punch does a buttload of damage and is a force to be reckoned with. Roost is to regain hp lost from LO and other stuff.

;186; Plod the Politoed @ Choice Specs
Drizzle, Modest
252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast
I hate this thing and don't want to use him but I have to because I need rain... He's supposed to hit hard, but really doesn't, except with Hydro pump. I have specs on him so he can hit a little harder but I might switch that with an expert belt or something, or just ditch the all-out attacking strategy altogether.

That's it, my first rain team. Suggestions welcome.

Felix (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SDef / 88 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Celia (Cresselia) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Lunar Dance

Vilo (Weavile) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Low Kick

TT (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Serious Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast

See (Scizor) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Plod (Politoed) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast

Last edited:

Rapidgator

Have you tried Vaporeon, it can stall with Toxic and heal your pokemons with Wish,here's the Vaporeon set I always use:

Vaporeon@Leftovers
Bold/Water Absorb
248HP/252Def/8Spe
Wish
Scald
Protect
Toxic

Last edited:

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
^ Just the same, Vaporeon's quite a good staller, and if you can make a wish/protect combo, it'd be good for recovering and also passing on to the rest of your team.

Since you've got a Weavile and Politoed on your team, I suggest putting Reflect on Cresselia, to improve the team's overall defence. I'd also put Politoed in your first slot, and replacing Hydro Pump with Scald for better accuracy+burn.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
SpecsToed doesn't need burn. Scald's power drop is quite noticeable from Hydro Pump.

This is what Hydro Pump accomplishes that Scald could never do:

Hydro Pump vs. 0/0 Salamence: 68.3% - 80.7%
Hydro Pump vs. 0/0 Naive Salamence: 75.8% - 89.4%
Hydro Pump vs. 0/0 Haxorus: 95.6% - 112.6%
Hydro Pump vs. 0/0 Hydreigon: 63.1% - 74.5%
Hydro Pump vs. 0/0 Rotom-W: 73.14% - 86.36%

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Hello Skyler 99, nice team you've got here. Actually, you can thank Rapidgator for my being here. :) Haha. Simple went to check my profile but a few minutes ago and saw that they'd commented here. Luckily for you, I always pay more attention to those posts that'd been avoided and are in need of help.

That aside, you have a cool team going here. Nothing too glaring I see at the moment. However, you may find that your Ferrothorn is being ineffective because it give no support beyond a hazard and status. Since you have Politoed, why not try out Seeding Stall Ferrothorn? Leech Seed + Protect is beyond annoying, while providing Stealth Rock and having Gyro Ball dents anything nonresistant to and faster than Ferrothorn. Sassy nature is the overall prefered nature to avoid taking any additional damage from a Fire type attack even under Rain. A spread of 252 Hp/48 Defense / 208 Sp.Defense should do your team some good with a set of Gyro Ball, Leech Seed, Protect & Stealth Rock. You're really only replacing Power Whip with Leech Seed & disposing of ThunderWave for Protect to keep the support and momentary stall intact. Remember to keep the Speed IVs @ 0 for maximum damage with Gyro Ball.

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barb
Sassy nature
252 Hp/ 208 Sp.Def/48 Def
Gyro Ball, Leech Seed, Protect & Stealth Rock

Next, I notice you also have Cresselia, whom may be somewhat out of place here. I'd like to second Rapidgator's suggestion of using Vaporeon, as it can completely support your team with a set of Scald, Wish, Rest & Toxic/ Ice Beam. Hydration is the preferred ability, however, as it allows Vaporeon to sustain a healthy status while under Rain and stalling. Bold nature w/ a spread of 252 Hp/ 248 Def & 8 Sp.Attack should suffice. Also an option is Heal Bell, as it seems status to its team mates may be of an annoyance at time. Though Vaporeon may have Hydration, that is of no use to its team being statused as a whole.

Vaporeon@Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
Bold nature
252 Hp/ 248 Def/ 8 Sp.Attack
Scald, Wish, Rest/Heal Bell & Toxic

For my next suggestion, I'll focus on Weavile. During my time @ Smogon, I was responsible for writing an OU analysis for Weavile, so I speak of complete experience here when I say that if you're gonna use the Swords Dance variant, use Focus Sash at all times. Unless you are completely sure that opposing teams lacks the coverage and momentum to allow Weavile to set up without taking residual damage, it is not recommended to be used without running Pickpocket ability as well. After the activation of Focus Sash from a potential OHKO move, Weavile obtains the foe's item, which can be very useful. Another option would be an overall offensive set that utilizes a Gem(Ice Gem, Dark Gem, Fighting Gem, etc.). Aside from this, everything looks good on Weavile. A set of Ice Shard/Pursuit, NightSlash, Ice Punch & Low Kick seems most appealing for your team.

Weavile@Life Orb/Focus Sash/Ice, Dark, or Fighting Gem
Trait: Pickpocket/ Pressure(Life Orb)
Jolly nature
252 Attack/ 224 Speed/ 32 Hp
Ice Shard/Swords Dance, Pursuit/Night Slash, Ice Punch & Low Kick

Next, if you decide to opt for Vaporeon, you no longer need Superpower on Scizor and can safely run a more effective STAB Bug Bite. Bug Bite @ +2 is utterly amazing, as its power is boosted to a decent base power of 90 with Technician.

Last, Thundurus-T is a favorite of mine because, as you said, it needs to be much fast. This leads me to ask, have you considered the standard Agility set? Having a Modest nature + Agility and Expert Belt means Thundurus-T can wreak any unprepared team. Agility may fit over either Focus Blast or Grqss Knot; moreso Grass Knot, due to Politoed having HP(Grass). Focus Blast is very useful for coverage. To further benefit its set, it is advised to use Thunderbolt for assured accuracy on its only STAB when the weather has been changed and Thunder is rendered near impossible to hit.

Thundurus-T@Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
Modest nature
252 Sp.Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 Def
Thunderbolt, HP(Ice), Focus Blast & Agility

That about sums it up as far as suggestions for this team go. I hope that this was of some help to you and your team and I wish you the best of luck! :)

EDIT: Actually, after rereading the RMT, you may find it favorable to keep Power Whip and replace Thunderwave with Leech Seed.

Last edited:

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
you leave your party a little too vunerable to fire for only having one water. if you faced a zebstrika with flame charge, you would be sunk. i would suggest a Landorus instead of Thunderus, because Landorus can take out fires AND electrics.