• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My generic Battle Frontier team

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Hello, welcome. I just recently realised I have never really tried in 3rd Gen at the Battle Frontier, so I wanna start, and this is the team I have planned.

Team Overview
;121; ;214; ;373;

Lead/Special Sweeper

[IMG139]http://serebiiforums.com/images/avatars/center/121.png[/IMG139]

Starmie @ Modest
Natural Cure @ Shell Bell
252 Special Attack/252 Speed/6 HP
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic

Just a heads up, this is a permanent member, and a permanent moveset/nature. It was the first pokemon I bred from scratch to get x/x/x/31/x/31 and has won ribbons in the DP BT and symbols in the Platinum BF (Pal Parked to Diamond from Emerald). Surf and Psychic for STAB, and Thunderbolt/Ice Beam for the counters of Heracross and Salamence.

Physical Sweeper

[IMG139]http://serebiiforums.com/images/avatars/center/214.png[/IMG139]

Heracross @ Jolly
Guts @ Choice Band
252 Attack/252 Speed/6 HP
-Megahorn
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Brick Break

Alright, basically a physical sweeper. Megahorn and Brick Break for STAB, Rock Slide for Fliers, and EQ because its a powerful move. Its not gonna stick around much so I'll use Choice Band.

Mixed Sweeper

[IMG139]http://serebiiforums.com/images/avatars/center/373.png[/IMG139]

Salamence @ Mild
Intimidate @ Leftovers
132 Attack/180 Special Attack/196 Speed
-Dragon Claw
-Flamethrower
-Earthquake
-Aerial Ace

Dragon Claw + Flamethrower make up the core of my offense, with Earthquake hitting special walls hard, and Aerial Ace hitting Double Teamers.

Last edited:
I would make Salamence Adamant and either breed for Dragon Dance on him, or use Swords Dancing Heracross (in place of Earthquake) and put the Choice Band on Salamence and take Dragon Claw away for Rock Slide or Brick Break. Physical attackers have the potential to be much stronger and therefore more difficult to wall, so there's no need to make him mixed or to use Dragon Claw for any reason, really.

And in terms of the items, who ever isn't holding the Choice Band should have either Leftovers or Lum Berry. Doesn't really matter who has which, but seriously, screw Shell Bell.

Special sweepers will give you problems. None of your Pkmn are cut out to switch into and kill the likes of Starmie, Latios, Zapdos, etc.

You don't need two physical sweepers, you need a Pkmn that can take a hit.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Yeah I have a Snorlax on the sidelines incase I seem to run into a lot of specialsweepers.

M4zz

Banned
Snorlax isn't the best wall, due to it's $h!t low defence. I would suggest a Shuckle!

Shuckle@Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Hardy Nature
-Sandstorm
-Rest
-Toxic
-Withdraw/Iron Defence

A decent Stall Pokemon. I belive that Iron Defence is an egg move. If not wanting to use the defence+ moves, I suggest breeding for a hardy nature and leveling it up to Lv.50/Lv.100 and teaching it Return.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Don't worry I have a Careful Curselax;

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Thick Fat @ Careful
252 HP/252 SpDef/6 Attack
-Shadow Ball
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Curse

Nebbio

NINJA!
But if he goes into a battle and say it's a ghost type and he only has Curselax left, he's gonna be as useful as a chocolate teapot in a heatwave. Ditch Curse.

Xestt!

Curse is a key move. It boosts defense what is vital for snorlax not to talk about attacking power. Ditch shadow ball. Earthquake is a great move in general - a combination of accuracy, power and coverage. Smogon suggests using either of them but I believe that shadow ball here is mostly because of the fact that you can see gengar everywhere in metagames. The real usefulness of the move in frontier is rather doubtful.

But if he goes into a battle and say it's a ghost type and he only has Curselax left, he's gonna be as useful as a chocolate teapot in a heatwave. Ditch Curse.

Situational much?

What if he runs into a flying type Pokemon with only Heracross left? What if he runs into Slaking with only Starmie left? What if blah blah blah blah?

You can't get out of every possible situation. And besides, Snorlax is able to beat Gengar in struggle-wars.

Nebbio

NINJA!
Yeah ok. You can never get a perfect team. But use a lot of PP ups if you don't want to use Struggle.

M4zz

Banned
Don't worry I have a Careful Curselax;

Snorlax @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Thick Fat @ Careful
252 Defence/252 SpDef/6 HP
-Rest
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Curse

Changes in bold. The reason I would change the EV spred is for one reason. A Snorlax's Defence is it's lowest stat, along with it's special attack. It's attack is extremely good despite it being the normal type. Otherwise, this is a really good snorlax.

Changes in bold. The reason I would change the EV spred is for one reason. A Snorlax's Defence is it's lowest stat, along with it's special attack. It's attack is extremely good despite it being the normal type. Otherwise, this is a really good snorlax.

It has the HP so it can switch more easily into special attacks, and it helps to make up for the mediocre defense, which will also get boosted after Curse.

M4zz

Banned
It has the HP so it can switch more easily into special attacks, and it helps to make up for the mediocre defense, which will also get boosted after Curse.
Still, one boost is not enough... You'd be amazed what a poke-sweeper witha high attack stat could do, and don't even get me started with critical attacks. Boosting is ok, but it can take a while to get a very good boost stat. Also, the opposition could lower your stats too, so, boosting in this sense, is nearly pointless. The only advantage with curse is that your attack raises too. Yes a Snorlax has a boatload of HP to back it up, but it could end up being flattened. I dunno, It has its ups and downs. It should be fine, I guess.