• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My Little Pony : Friendship is Magic - Lets go to 2 : Electric Scootaloo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Big Edit: Oh goodness look at the time!

Almost all the Spoilers
[spoil]Basically, Discord is angry because Fluttershy has another friend ... even though Fluttershy having at least five other friends is the whole basis of how they met and ultimately became friends. Just -- suspend that disbelief for a second and enjoy a great episode.

I believe the only reason the CMC are here is because they couldn't really fit six interesting plus ones into 22 minutes. I may have to rewatch to confirm, but I don't think Twilight brought anyone with her.

Applejack and Applebloom have the moment the fandom wishes Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo would have.

Of course Pinkie knows about the newly confirmed Chaotic Magic and knew Discord was there before he appeared. What you think?

Also Metal Gear (again).

Yep. The TCG spoiled Pinkie Pie's +1.

I must commend that Mailman's bravery. Or stupidity. Or something.

This episode continues the streak of interesting plots being mentioned and promptly thrown away -- in this case literally when Discord chucks the Mailman in a random direction.

Might be just me, but it seems like Twilight's taking her Princess-ing Duties rather seriously in this episode. I'm not sure if it's because of writer meddling or because she wants to impress Celestia.

The whole Improv Scene was fandom pandering Filler.

Celestia finds Discord funny because this episode doesn't have enough shipping.

Actually, I'm more convinced that this scene was set up so Maud would have an opportunity to insult Discord and be praised for it. Still counts as Filler given what happens later in the episode when the same situation presents itself.

Once again, Princess Celestia is completely useless.

Treehugger is actually the kind of character that I've wanted on the show since the earlier seasons. I like the idea of the Mane 6 having normal friends outside of their normal circle of Very Important Ponies. It makes sense that the group destined to spread Friendship would have like ... a ton of friends.

Also, she saves the day.

... and then this episode takes a really sudden and dramatic turn. Nothing quite spices up a Royal Shindig like somepony getting banished. I'm not really sure what's more frightening. That Discord pretty much has this power and can use it any time he pleases, that Princess Celestia is totally fine having someone that powerful and unstable walking around, that she invited him to the Gala knowing this, or that Fluttershy was pretty much the only one who could stop this from happening.

So Discord's particular brand of magic is a variant magic. That explains a lot, actually.

And we get a moral scene to make it explicitly clear that Discord learned something. Maybe.

Sweet Celestia, Celestia! You almost had somepony banished and all of your guests drowned just so you could have a good time!? You intentionally sabotaged Twiight's first hosted royal event, too.

Actually, I think I'll just chalk up Celestia's behavior to having too much cider. The girls were drinking cider earlier in the night and Celestia just had too much of it. Yep. She's not a troll or unbelievably reckless. Just had one too many. Yep. [/spoil]

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
[spoil]This episode continues the streak of interesting plots being mentioned and promptly thrown away -- in this case literally when Discord chucks the Mailman in a random direction.[/spoil]

[spoil]Yeah, I'd kind of like to know what's up with Discord's house. Besides being in another dimension, of course.[/spoil]

[spoil]Actually, I think I'll just chalk up Celestia's behavior to having too much cider. The girls were drinking cider earlier in the night and Celestia just had too much of it. Yep. She's not a troll or unbelievably reckless. Just had one too many. Yep.[/spoil]

[spoil]Well it's already been established during the last GGG that Celestia finds the normal ones pretty boring, and I was wondering if anyone was going to acknowledge that. Celestia did not disappoint.

I think the writers are trying to give Celestia a fun loving side to make her more interesting to the target audience (her reaction was legitimately pretty funny), if she was stoic all of the time she probably wouldn't be as engaging a character, especially to little girls. Either that or she's going insane from 1000 years of boring princess duties. Drunkenness is also a good theory.[/spoil]

Lady Umbreon

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Trollestia rides again!

I'd heard they were bringing back the Smooze but wasn't expecting it to be so adorably dapper.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I didn't post yesterday's teasers because they were posted so late in the day.

I did catch today's episode, though. My feelings are mixed.

Spoilers:
[spoil]Glorious Gummy Master Race

Since it's been almost 100 episodes since Gilda last appeared we get some background on why Dash hates her

Princess Salty Sparkle

Dash does her best Twilight impression to the delight of fan artists everywhere.

I'm sure the greatest city in the Griffon Kingdom being a Forsaken Slum will in no way ignite a firestorm about species inequality in Equestria. Nor has it been done to make us actually feel sorry for Gilda. Nope.

... *hides in the bunker*

So yeah. Gilda is still pretty much intolerable.

And as foretold in the stars Rainbow Dash jumps to the wrong conclusion.

Actually, Pinkie was right. If Twilight herself came she probably would have over thought the situation and gotten off-point like Rainbow Dash did. She probably wouldn't even speak to anyone until she restored the library, at least.

Pinkie flirting with a statue.

Eating sticks and twigs is acceptable in a baked good. Lack of baking powder is not. Got it.

For people keeping score, Pinkie helping recreate Griffon Scones was spoiled in the TCG.

Once again, Rainbow Dash is hurt in a canyon as a test of loyalty in her friends.

Actually chuckled at the rope gag.

This was probably the most eventful Flight Camp in Cloudsdale's history.

Also baby Griffons.

STOP TRYING TO HELP, PINKIE!

By pure coincidence they actually find the Idol -- if only so Gilda could have a revelation about how friends are more important than gold and allow the Idol to be lost forever. I'm sure if the actual Griffons knew about that she'd be banished.

Well, we can't have a new friend episode without a potential ship. I didn't even catch the scarf-griffon's name.

Yep. Still weirded out by Pinkie's crush on the statue.

And we're done. Griffonstone is still a Forsaken Slum with no central government and little hope, but at least they have scones -- for however long Gilda will stay until she has enough bits to move to Pony-land. I'm not really sure I like the implication that deep rooted problems can be solved by friendship and scones, that the ponies pretty much left Griffonstone to fend for themselves, or that the Griffon who abandoned Rainbow Dash didn't get a comeuppance, but this is a show with a 22 minute run time.

I just felt this wasn't really wrapped up or resolved.[/spoil]

Oh, there will be a two week break after today's episode.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
After today's episode I hope the map sends Rarity on a quest that involves the Diamond Dogs and also Fluttershy but involves Dragons instead.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
[SPOIL]I think what they were trying to demonstrate was that the Griffins' attitude towards each other is why Griffinstone is such a dump more than the loss of the idol, so Gilda's attempts at friendship would inevitably turn things around and they would actually start caring about their situation enough to fix things themselves. I think they could've done a better job of showing that, but aside from that I wouldn't say the problem is unresolved.[/SPOIL]

An00bis

Wicked Witch
[spoil]I get that the problem was resolved, but because they didn't show the Griffons doing anything to fix the situation it didn't feel like it was.

I guess you can contrast this with what happened in the Town of Equality. After the main problem was resolved we saw that the ponies there were doing better, rebuilding the town, and resolved to stay there to make it better.

Gilda said that she intended on leaving Griffonstone as soon as she had enough money to do so. Pinkie Pie saved her business which would give her a vechicle to leave later if she wanted. Would Gilda leave or stay where she is to rebuild? Will she actually be able to spread friendship when she has doubt? Will the other Griffons actually learn anything from this experience? All those answers were left ambiguous probably to make a point of entry for Gilda later on in the series -- not that it was nessasary since Gilda, Dash, and Pinkie came out as friends and promised to see each other again anyway.

Basically, it felt more open-ended than it should have been. [/spoil]

After today's episode I hope the map sends Rarity on a quest that involves the Diamond Dogs and also Fluttershy but involves Dragons instead.

I think one of those two things might happen based on that semi-confirmed episode list floating around.

Mister_SGG

Didn't enjoy this week as much as last, but still keeping up the quality of Season 5 thus far.

Didn't care much for Gilda before after I recovered from the heart attack the flashback scene gave me I was won over. Her change of heart seemed a bit rushed but bleh 22 minute episodes. Pinkie was fantastic in this one, and twilight managed to sneak some adorkableness in the beginning, which is always a win.

Overall very well rounded episode that really delivered imo

aaaaand now 3 weeks without pone good god

An00bis

Wicked Witch
... you ever watch something and wonder what exactly you were watching?

That's how I felt watching today's episode.

[spoil]Cranky and Matilda's desire to have everything perfect which almost lead to their wedding being ruined before realizing that the quality of the ceremony didn't matter was enough material to fill an episode. So was Cranky's ability to make so many different friends throughout his journey to find her.

-- but we got more, anyway, so let's break that down.

I didn't like Derpy/Muffins. She was a bit too silly even for this show.

The Doctor was interesting. I liked him, but wish he had more variations to his exclamations. I figure since they bothered giving him some back story we might be seeing him again.

Amethyst Star pretty much being replaced by Twilight but still willing to help also kind of interesting. Too bad she was dropped halfway through the episode.

The Flower Shop ponies were too boring for this over-the-top episode.

And now the second part I didn't really care for. At first, Lyra and Bon Bon reminded me of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. Then it got worse. Again, there was enough material in this scene to make an episode if decently spaced out. Since we never actually see Bon Bon doing anything and Lyra forgives her immediately it felt like a waste of time.

Steve Magnet was everything this show needed. Also a throwback to Episode 1 in cutting his 'stash for a friend.

Then we have Octavia and Scratch. I think they could've cut a minute from the music scene, but I liked them both as characters.

Sunbutt and Moonbutt too broke to buy another present.

Oh look. A random Baby Changling!

And Zecora! ... in what may be her only appearance this season!

Overall, I liked this episode. Not my favorite of all time or even of this season, but it was a pretty enjoyable shout out to the older members of the fandom. Most of the characters were pretty true to the fandom's general expectation of them while still managing not to be too far out there for pony (except maybe Muffins).

I also liked how indifferent the Background Ponies were to imminent danger. I know the Princesses are going to get some flank for not helping Twilight fight the Bug Bear, but I view the situation differently. Twilight and Friends are pretty much Equestria's Special Forces and the strongest they have to offer. If they can't beat Bug Bear the Princesses can't do much to help.

... but since the other characters seemed more annoyed than frightened it seems like Bug Bear wasn't even a threat so they had nothing to worry about, so that's moot.[/spoil]

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I enjoyed this episode as well as taking stock of the Head cannons that were destroyed:

Gummy is brainless and does not think
Lyra is crazy
Cranky had no friends before finding Miltilda in ponyville
All the changelings were expelled from ponyville

I never knew any of those headcanons in the first place. It seemed like they confirmed more headcanons than they destroyed, they hit pretty much every major fan portrayal we've seen except for Lyra being obsessed with humans (which they didn't really deny either, it just never came up). Also,
[SPOIL]Bon Bon being a secret agent was so far out of left field.[/SPOIL]

And yeah, what's up with that Changeling?

I enjoyed this episode as well as taking stock of the Head cannons that were destroyed:

Gummy is brainless and does not think
Lyra is crazy
Cranky had no friends before finding Miltilda in ponyville
All the changelings were expelled from ponyville

I never knew any of those headcanons in the first place. It seemed like they confirmed more headcanons than they destroyed, they hit pretty much every major fan portrayal we've seen except for Lyra being obsessed with humans (which they didn't really deny either, it just never came up). Also,

And yeah, what's up with that Changeling?

[spoil]When I first heard what this ep was about, I had the thought that it could potentially make or break many head-canons.
I agree, it definitely did the former more than the latter.

I just thought that that Changeling was supposed to be a reference to A Canterlot Wedding, what with it appearing at a wedding.
[/spoil]

Last edited:

SkyTheAbsol

Dark-Type Fanatic
When I first heard what this ep was about, I had the thought that it could potentially make or break many head-canons.
I agree, it definitely did the former more than the latter.

I just thought that that Changeling was supposed to be a reference to A Canterlot Wedding, what with it appearing at a wedding.

Could be a shout-out to some fans joking that, when background ponies are duplicated in crowds, it's actually because there are changelings. Dunno though.

All in all I think my brain is still catching up to everything that episode had to offer. All I can really say for certain at this point is that one; the Doctor Who references they threw in were almost perfect, and two; if the episode's dubstep cello track is NOT released to the public, I will not be happy. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.