1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

My most recent vacation troubles

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by srebak, Oct 28, 2018.

1. srebak

srebak Beginning Trainer

My most recent vacation troubles

I’ll be blunt and just come right to the point; my mother, nephew and myself all just recently took a trip to Australia and I was very much looking forward to it to be honest. I wanted to make absolutely certain that I had the right amount of clothing, I took the chance to get in a quick shower, I even took the necessary precaution to pack my vitamins and prescribed medications. I thought that I could get through the trip without much issues, but, then, when we finally arrived at the Sydney Australia airport, and were having a little bit of trouble with our passports at first, my nephew and I were forced to go through a different type of process and that was when I noticed that my hat was missing and I tried to retrace my steps in order to find it, as my first instinct usually tends to be in those types of situations. Now, I did initially tell one of the guards that that was what I was initially trying to do, but when I did not find it at first and found out that my nephew had already found it for me, the initial reaction that I got from my mother afterwards was that my initial looking for my hat could have gotten me arrested, even though I could not see the whole situation as anything more than just me simply trying to retrieve my own property. I tried to not allow this to ruin my trip, but this still wore on my mind for the rest of the day and that was only day one, to be precise.

Based on what type of responses that this post gets, i’ll continue on with the rest of my vacation’s flaws

2. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

Pfft, yeah Australian border security is SUUUUUPER intense. There's soooo much paperwork. I've only left the country twice and getting back in was such a hassle.

It depends on where you were looking. If you were already cleared and went back you definitely could have been arrested though.

Were you just staying in Sydney or did you go elsewhere?

3. srebak

srebak Beginning Trainer

I don’t think that I really was cleared at the time

4. oarfish

oarfish #1 Lanturn Owner

Interesting experience you had there. When I went to Australia, I do not recall having any particular negative experiences with the traveling (airports, housing, etc.). Of course I did move there for almost a year, and it was not just a "vacation" length trip there for me. I did take a few of such "vacation" length trips while I was living there (to other areas of the country) - I did not think I had any negative travel-related experiences then either.
    Sure, I do not have significant memory of the traveling aspects of that time in my life. Even though I do have many memories of that (almost) year there, most of the memories were not about the travel there itself. (Yes, most - I do remember some of the long plane flights, the corporate housing my family and I stayed in before finding a longer-term apartment, the apartment search, and the decision we made to return to our hometown in the United States a month early [instead of taking a "vacation" trip to Hawaii during that time]).
    I apologize if this brief story of mine did not really help you here. Just to be clear, I do not know when you went to Australia. I was there back in 2007, so it may have changed over the past 11 years. Feel free to draw any similarities you see with your experiences, but I recognize that my circumstances were different.

5. srebak

srebak Beginning Trainer

The next day started out rather well; we were all up and atom, bright and early, I had a nice hotel pancake breakfast, and we were all on our way right towards the Sydney aquarium.

However, while all did seem well with the world at first, an unexpected photo op at the aquarium’s entrance somewhat caught me off guard and because I didn’t hear quite everything that the photographer was telling us to do, my mother ended up having a little bit of a joke with me as a result of that. Now, while I was willing to let that one slide, the rest of the tour felt a tad bit more frustrating to be completely honest. For one thing, the whole trip felt a tad bit rushed to me at times, it felt like I was barely getting enough time to take my pictures or to properly savor my surroundings and location, and to make matters even more frustrating, my phone went dead before I could get any more pictures for myself.

Our next tourist spot was the Sydney Eye Tower, but not only was my photo still down and thus I couldn’t take any more snapshots whilst I was there, but, a short while prior; my mother and I got into yet another spat over how she asked me to get something very important out of her backpack and how I couldn’t find it and/or get to it right away. She later asked me if I was mad at her and I said no, because I don’t really think that I was mad per se, rather frustrated that we had yet another conflict like that yet again. Anyways, back to the Sydney eye tower; because I couldn’t take any more pictures whilst I was there and because i once again felt that I was being rushed through things, I wasn’t fully capable of enjoying the experience as a whole as much as I would have liked, which was upsetting because I did take some pleasure out of being there.