• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My Newest Competitive Team

lucoleon lova

A new version of my last team (named: My First Competitive Team)
Credit goes to Arkeis for the pics.

team (I think) is properly named: Team Surprise, since about 4/6 of the team uses surprises to catch the foe offguard (spiritomb's pain split, lucario's set, gallade's lack of close combat and use of thunderpunch, and metagross's mixed set which scares off many including skarmory). I think that these surprises will give me more of an edge in battling.

spiritomb.png

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
252 HP, 76 Def, 164 SpD, 16 SpA
Bold (+ Def, - Att)
Shadow Ball
Pain Split
Hypnosis
HP [Fight]

I am hoping for a tank/special attacker. Pain Split brings down the HP of the bulky pokes (making it a good Blissey counter with Pain Split and Hypnosis), Hypnosis is to sleep, and Shadow Ball and HP [Fight] hit everything in the game for at least neutral damage. He is my lead because he can put the opponent to sleep, pain split them (which leaves him with massive HP, defense and special defense by this time), and hit pretty much everything, if a problem comes, I just switch out. His HP is maxed so he can survive a few hits as a tank. If my calculations are correct, his defense and special defense should be equal to about 262, which is decent. I put the leftover EVs to special attack so he has a little more power.

milotic.png

Milotic @ Leftovers
100 Def, 200 SpD, 116 HP, 92 SpA
Modest (+ SpA, - Att)
Surf
Ice Beam
Hypnosis
Recover

I was hoping for a sleep causing staller, and I am not sure how it turned out. The defense, HP, and special defense EVs are there to stand a few more hits as a staller. Remaining went to special attack for more power.

lucario.png

Lucario @ Life Orb
252 Spe, 112 Att, 140 SpA, 4 HP
Naive (+ Spe, -SpD)
Close Combat
Blaze Kick
Ice Punch
Dark Pulse

I started with a mixed sweeper with two physical attacks and two special, but ended up with this, hoping for a type coverage. I maxed speed EVs to try to outrun some of the slower-fast pokemon (if you know what I mean), also opening up some of his sweeping possibilities. The attack and special attack EVs are there for power. The 4 HP EVs give him an odd HP stat, making his Life Orb damage round down (if I am correct).

gliscor.png

Gliscor @ Life Orb
124 HP, 196 Att, 188 Spe
Jolly (+ Spe, - SpA)
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Roost
Swords Dance / Stealth Rock

I was going to give him Ice Fang instead of Stone Edge, but with Milotic and Lucario with ice, I decided se instead. The EV spread gives him some sweeping capabilities, set up possibilities, and leaves him with the basic phys walling.

gallade.png

Gallade @ Leftovers
132 Def, 72 Att, 108 HP, 196 Spe
Impish (+ Def, - SpA)
Hypnosis
Will-o-wisp
Psycho Cut
Thunderpunch

I was looking for a status infecting poke, and saw Gallade and Gardevoir. Gardevoir has one more weakness than Gallade, so I chose Gallade. Its Psycho Cut and Thunderpunch covers its weakness and replaces Gardevoir’s Psychic and Thunderbolt, those moves are also types I don’t already have on the team. The lack of close combat may surprise the opponent. His defense and HP are boosted more to slow his fainting, while the Attack keeps his fighting possibilities open while still maintaining some needed speed EVs to status the foe sooner.

metagross.png

Metagross @ Expert Belt
Naughty (+ Att, - SpD)
252 Att, 124 SpA, 132 Spe
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Grass Knot
Hidden Power [Fire]

This set covers some weaknesses and adds more types. I think this set just finishes and pulls the whole team together.

So… I don’t see any major problems here, but helpful criticism is more than welcomed. Also, would you rate what you think from 1-10 as part of your reply? Thanks. I hope it is good.

Last edited:

The Reverend A_K

Altaria goBot
Do the Milotic EVs allow it to survive anything in particular?

As for Spiritomb and Gallade, low HP pokemon need heavy HP investment before you even touch their defenses.

Haxon22

iJerk
Why will-o-wisp on gallade?

pit-fall

Angels Amoonguss
Hypnosis on Spiritomb and Milotic seems redundant and unnecesary.

Also, why not SD, CC, Extremespeed, Stone Edge/Ice Punch on Luke ?

Rhys29

Encore
Basic Spiritomb. It's okay.

Erm, Milotic without RstTlk is bad bad bad. Usually. Switch.

You want to make your HP divisible by 10 and then add one, so you can survive with 1 Hp after 10 turns. Otherwise okay, consider Bullet Punch over Blaze Kick.

Stealth Rock is more for bulky sets, so I would suggest Fire Fang for Skarmory and such. Or go U-Turn for effective switching out. You could make this a Swords Dance set if you really want to sweep.

You are trying to defy what Gallade does, sweep. Stop it you silly man. Make Gallade SD and give it Close Combat and Leaf Blade.

Mixgross? Doesn't seem to work. There are better pokes at wall breaking. Gross is there for straight up attack IMO. You could run a very similar set to Mixape with this for some success, but doesn't work super well. If you slap a Scarf on him and switch up the EV's you'd prolly have a better set.

cloudk

hates you.
Rhys, why restalk on milotic when it can recover? The only status milotic cannot absorb well is toxic poison and even then, its pretty rare.

Rhys29

Encore
Rhys, why restalk on milotic when it can recover? The only status milotic cannot absorb well is toxic poison and even then, its pretty rare.

Cause when it's asleep it gains 1.5 defense. Marvel Scale. Plus it becomes a status absorber.

cloudk

hates you.
Marvel scale is more o a "fall back on" strategy. Even with recover it can already be a pseudo status absorber.

Rhys29

Encore
Marvel scale is more o a "fall back on" strategy. Even with recover it can already be a pseudo status absorber.

However you have to keep using Recover every turn and you'll soon run out if you have a status effect like burn. Sure, it works almost as well, but then heavy poison will set this guy back. Toxic is common against walls, and if you only have Recover with no source of relief, you're put against a wall, seeing as how he can only be out for a certain amount of time. Both sets work, just RstTlk tends to do better.

Niko

Arcanine trainer
Change Gallade's TP for Ice Punch, and spend more HP in your Gliscor, Roost isn't very usefull when you recover 10 hp.

Rhys29

Encore
Change Gallade's TP for Ice Punch, and spend more HP in your Gliscor, Roost isn't very usefull when you recover 10 hp.

Der, he doesn't have an Electric move so you would most certainly not want to switch T-Punch for Ice Punch when you got it on other pokes. Roost is useful with low Hp or high Hp.

lucoleon lova

thanks for all the help so far. sorry i haven't replied in a while.

anyway, it looks like spiritomb is good.

milotic i think is ok with recover and hypnosis instead of restalk. i am considering hydro pump over surf for more power. what so you think?

some many suggestions for lucario, but as stated at the top, his moves are part for surprise.

gliscor origionallt had sd over sr, but other places i have posted this team on (or similar team) said that sr would be better, but i think sd is the better choice.

and about gallade, i think his evs look good with what i have heard so far. and gallade isn't only for sweeping, but a good status infector. i think his tp is good, especially since no other team i have seen has that (another surprise). I already have other fight moves, and cc would lower his defenses leaving what he was meant to do for this team (status infect) less likely because he would become even esier to bring down.

I did not make metagross a mixed because that is what he is good at. he still keeps the basic physical moves with surprise on bulky waters and steels such as skarmory.

I think i covered most of the comments so far. thanks for the help so far, and keep it coming

Rhys29

Encore
The EV's on your Gallade are a little off. Take off one EV on Hp (if you have 31 IV's) so you get max lefties. Also, what are you trying to outrun..?

lucoleon lova

The EV's on your Gallade are a little off. Take off one EV on Hp (if you have 31 IV's)
ok... will do

Also, what are you trying to outrun..?
Actually, I am not sure. I just wanted for him to have decent speed. I thought the speed with those EVs would be enough to outrun a good amount of pokemon. Any suggestions out there for his speed EVs then?

196 EVs. Reaches 245 Spd to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar and those trying to do that.

Or 44 EVs. Reaches 207 Spd to outspeed no Spd Suicune/Cresselia, etc. You can run 48 to outrun those trying to do the same.

Edit: Hold on a second there while I check something on the second recommendation.

Edit 2: Done checking.

Last edited:

lucoleon lova

196 EVs. Reaches 245 Spd to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar and those trying to do that.

Thanks so much. I changed it.

So, I've seen very minor changes...... Is it ready to prepare for battle?!? or, do i still have to work on it?