• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My Opinion On Emboar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
I am currently playing through Pokémon Black Version and this time around I used Emboar (for the first time). While playing through most of the game, i noticed how OP the Pokémon is. It had grown to level 44 before the 7th gym, and this is not me just being carried by it, i did not use it during the gyms that it was at a disadvantage (Gym 1,5,6 and 7).
I also learned that Pokémon do not need to look pleasant to be good Pokémon.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I am currently playing through Pokémon Black Version and this time around I used Emboar (for the first time). While playing through most of the game, i noticed how OP the Pokémon is. It had grown to level 44 before the 7th gym, and this is not me just being carried by it, i did not use it during the gyms that it was at a disadvantage (Gym 1,5,6 and 7).
I also learned that Pokémon do not need to look pleasant to be good Pokémon.

Emboar has such a good movepool at every stage of its development.
- Tepig: Flame Charge is great and after the first gym you get WorkUp and this thing becomes a monster.
- Pignite: Adds the Fighting-type and thus you get Arm Thrust. Not the best move, but it works well vs. Sturdy users. Or Rock Smash in Pinwheel Forest. Which leaves you sweeping Lenora.
- Emboar: Don't sleep on that 100 base Sp.Attack. It gets Scald which is amazing. Flare Blitz, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Scald. Also Brick Break or Low Sweep if you want Fighting-type coverage. Hammer Arm is stronger, but leaves you a sitting duck unless you switch-out.

And that's without its Hidden Ability, which paired with Flare Blitz, Head Smash and Wild Charge gives you a nuke, but you basically have two turns to try and make this work since the recoil will get you killed.

Compare that to Serperior, which outside of Coil is such a deadweight. I mean Coil+Leaf Blade, that works. But the coverage moves it get are bad: Iron Tail through breeding or Aerial Ace or stuff like Facade/Strength/Giga Impact or Dragon Tail (which is fun, but doesn't work well with your great speed). It gets a bit better with Outrage in B2W2 though. The Hidden Ability is great, but leaves you predictable: Leaf Storm = +2 and then the rest of the options are Giga Drain and Dragon Pulse in B2W2. Compared to Emboar, Serperior is incredibly shallow and frustrating to use. It just looks good.

Fun fact: Serperior's attack stats are both at 75. Tepig hits off a base 63 Attack. One single Work Up and your Tepig hits harder then a base Serperior.

Samurott is fine, just has no direction it wants to go in terms of stat/moveset. Visually you'd think physical, stats imply special/mixed, moveset has plenty to make a physical set and just barely to make a special set work (Scald/IceBeam/GrassKnot/AirSlash).

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
I an glad you think Emboar is good and I think Emboar looks fine to me. Also, there already is a "Your Opinion On Emboar" topic, so you could have stated your opinion there instead of making your own topic about your opinion on Emboar.
Ok, my bad for making a new thread.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
Emboar has such a good movepool at every stage of its development.
- Tepig: Flame Charge is great and after the first gym you get WorkUp and this thing becomes a monster.
- Pignite: Adds the Fighting-type and thus you get Arm Thrust. Not the best move, but it works well vs. Sturdy users. Or Rock Smash in Pinwheel Forest. Which leaves you sweeping Lenora.
- Emboar: Don't sleep on that 100 base Sp.Attack. It gets Scald which is amazing. Flare Blitz, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Scald. Also Brick Break or Low Sweep if you want Fighting-type coverage. Hammer Arm is stronger, but leaves you a sitting duck unless you switch-out.

And that's without its Hidden Ability, which paired with Flare Blitz, Head Smash and Wild Charge gives you a nuke, but you basically have two turns to try and make this work since the recoil will get you killed.

Compare that to Serperior, which outside of Coil is such a deadweight. I mean Coil+Leaf Blade, that works. But the coverage moves it get are bad: Iron Tail through breeding or Aerial Ace or stuff like Facade/Strength/Giga Impact or Dragon Tail (which is fun, but doesn't work well with your great speed). It gets a bit better with Outrage in B2W2 though. The Hidden Ability is great, but leaves you predictable: Leaf Storm = +2 and then the rest of the options are Giga Drain and Dragon Pulse in B2W2. Compared to Emboar, Serperior is incredibly shallow and frustrating to use. It just looks good.

Fun fact: Serperior's attack stats are both at 75. Tepig hits off a base 63 Attack. One single Work Up and your Tepig hits harder then a base Serperior.

Samurott is fine, just has no direction it wants to go in terms of stat/moveset. Visually you'd think physical, stats imply special/mixed, moveset has plenty to make a physical set and just barely to make a special set work (Scald/IceBeam/GrassKnot/AirSlash).
I wonder where you can find brick break, is it a level-up move?

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I wonder where you can find brick break, is it a level-up move?

TM31 in Icirrus City. Which again shows the Emboar-bias these games have. Not that you need the coverage at that point since Brycen only uses pure Ice-types and you're literally a flaming boar at that point.

Sakuyamon

Emboar's great I guess but I think it being the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row made alot of people dislike the poor piggy. Not to mention that Gen 5 gets alot of hate anyway so maybe that adds to the stigma that Emboar got stuck with?

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I actually don't hate Emboar's design as much as most people in the fandom. It actually gets really good moves, and its Sp. Attack is still high enough to warrant running special moves, especially coverage like Scald and Grass Knot. Also one of the best shiny starters out there. I would have definitely attempted using one in a Unova playthrough if my baby that is Oshawott wasn't a thing!

Leonhart

Imagineer
I think it's a decent Fire-type in terms of aesthetics, although I think that it being so bulky is one of its downsides since it seems slower than Bursyamo (Blaziken) and Goukazaru (Infernape) despite having the exact same type combination.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
One of my favorite Fire starters behind Infernape, Delphox, and Incineroar. It’s such a cool Pokémon with a great movepool and great Shiny. Easily my favorite of the Unova starters

Status
Not open for further replies.