1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

My opinion on HMs (gen I-VI)

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Mega Ampharos the Dragon, Nov 9, 2019 at 2:47 AM.

Tags:
  1. Mega Ampharos the Dragon

Mega Ampharos the Dragon Electric type Enthusiast

Now, HMs have been notorious for annoying us all throughout the games from Red, Blue, and Yellow, to their last appearance in ORAS. We (usually) had 1 pokemon on our teams that'll never be used in battle and will always be a low level that we've used as an "HM slave". They also take away a slot on your Pokemon instead of having an actually good move. Some people when they started out usually thought that HMs are the strongest moves because they're "Hidden" Machines. I've heard someone from the "Dumb things you did with pokemon as a kid" forum say they had a Charizard with Fly, Cut, Strength and Fissure. Now my opinion is different from everyone else's opinion on these although yes they still do annoy me, they have good in them other than progress through the game.

1. Some HMs were actually good moves
    Not all HMs are like this, but the main ones (usually the non-normal ones) can actually be tactically be used in competitions. Fly being basically a Flying type version of Dig, same with Dive just water. Surf was basically a water version of Earthquake. Even Rock Smash can be used since it lowers Defence while dealing fighting damage.
    2. Great way to get low level pokemon without False Swipe
    Don't have a Pokemon with False Swipe? Don't feel like teaching one of your Pokemon False Swipe and then find that notoriously hard to find Feebas? Well, HM moves (the normal type ones) are the way to go. Since they don't do too much damage, they don't usually OHKO even if you are 10 (maybe 20) levels higher.
    3. Great for annoying Sturdy Pokemon
    In a trainer battle and your opponent has an annoying Sturdy Pokemon? Well once sturdy activates (and as long as the trainer doesn't use a potion) those HM moves' PP can be wasted instead of your good moves you have.
    4. No one will expect it
    Now because those weak HM moves aren't made for competition and battles, using them against players will definitely surprise them. Maybe they have a specific pokemon built so the opponents wastes their PPs. With normal type HM moves at your disposal, just dish some damage with those, at least your strong moves' PP aren't being wasted

If you want you can enter your opinions on HMs as long as it isn't just that they were annoying. Plus opinions on (semi-required) TMs like Flash or Secret Power. I really like annoying those Subway bot s with a Flash Chandelure.

KyogreThunder likes this.
  2. RoughCoronet0

RoughCoronet0 Dragon lover

I never particularly minded HMs all that much, and am probably one of the minority of people who felt that they actually made it feel like it was just you and your Pokémon exploring and fighting your way through the elements of the region. I do thing they could have found a better middle ground by allowing your Pokémon do use HMs like moves in a similar fashion to how the Let’s Go games handle it, allowing you to call upon your Pokémon to use its skills to tackle such tasks as fly, surfing, smashing rocks, etc without needing to fill up a moveslot to do so.

Grant it I’m not against the inovations of Pokémon services that perform these tasks as I think they still work within the lore of Pokémon. Humans and Pokémon work together to accomplish tasks and many Pokémon even have full time jobs acting as service Pokémon to ferry people around or do construction and such.

I don’t know, maybe in the future Gamefreak will allow us the options to choose how we wish to traverse the land, be it HM moves or Pokémon services or neat gadgets or Pokémon using natural talents befitting of their normal skills.

It’s not something I’m super invested in but that’s my two cents.

KyogreThunder likes this.
  3. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

I hate how you always have to have a pokémon with the move with you, it limits you so much in team rotation. And you can't even quickly learn the move and then remove it again with the TM move that was there in that slot prior because of the whole "can't forget HM moves" limitation.

4. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

I'll be honest I liked the challenge of having to use HM moves to get around. Sure I do think some of the moves themselves could have been a bit stronger but as a general concept I liked it. I get a lot people didn't like it and wanted to use a team of their choice but I still enjoyed the challenge.

Leonhart likes this.
  5. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper of the Gates Ambitious

They should have just made them TMs in BW since they became infinitely reusable at that point. And also made every Pokemon able to learn all of them except limiting Surf and Fly to Pokemon who should have them.

6. Mega Ampharos the Dragon

Mega Ampharos the Dragon Electric type Enthusiast

Understandable.

But having them as TMs just doesn't seem right to me. Mostly because we're at exactly 100 TMs and GF is probably not changing that. It'll just waste TMs. If they made HMs TMs back in Gen V, we wouldn't really have a fairy TM unless one of the TMs was changed. One of the complaints I have with SM is the removal of HMs and changing some to TMs.

7. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

Although I do understand the complaints about HMs taking up moveslots and often being not all that good in battle, I consider every single replacement fot them since Generation VII to be a slap in the face and an insult to the theme of the franchise. The theme of Pokemon is, and has always been, getting to explore the world thanks to your Pokemon, and in Alola, the player character basically has no right to use his/her own Pokemon outside of battle, the saddles and the Riding Wear look utterly ridiculous, Machamp Shove is just plain creepy, and why on earth is Charizard used for flying rather than Pokemon in the Alola Dex (such as Fearow, Skarmory, Salamence or Braviary)?
    In Let's Go games, although the player character uses their own Pokemon, Sky Dash and Sea Skim look tacky and unnatural when used by Pikachu and Eevee, and Light Up and Strong Push only really make sense for the former, but not for the latter.
    In Sword/Shield...what is even the deal with the posessed Bike again? Then again, we're talking about the games that introduced the ability to change natures (which is basically brainwashing).
    I think they should just have you use your own Pokemon to explore the world, but to make field abilities more similiar to Secret Techniques (i.e. without taking up moveslots) on each and every Pokemon that looks like it can learn them, not just a select few. They also should bring back the abilities to scale rocky walls, climb waterfalls, clear whirlpools and dive in the sea.
    Finally, even in Black/White, it irked me that only Cut was required to progress once, because it lead to a bunch of NPCs blocking your path instead of natural obstacles. So I think they should make most field abilities mandatory to progress, but only unlocked after winning certain Badges/their equivalents.

8. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

I disliked HM moves for the most part since I disliked having to teach a specific attack to my Pokemon just to get around. Surf and Waterfall weren't so bad since they did a lot of damage and had great accuracy, but HM moves like Rock Smash that did little damage were a pain.