• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My OU Sun Team

Pika ruler

Pikachu User
This is my first RMT. It is a sun team. This team has been super helpful againest other weather teams.
I wanted to use the sun, so I decided on Ninetales.
;038;
Next, I wanted a Pokemon with Chlorophyll, and I turned to Venusaur.
;038;;003;
I wanted a wall, so I went with Espeon.
;038;;003;;196;
I decided on another Chlorophyll user, so I went with Leafeon.
;038;;003;;196;;470;
I wanted sweepers, so I went with Heatran and Chandelure.
;038;;003;;196;;470;;485;:609:
Onto the team!!!

ninetales.jpg

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 SDef / 108 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

You may be wondering why the heck Sunny Day is in there. To tell you why, I use Sunny Day when I'm against Politoad, Tyranitar, and Hippowdon when they set up there weather. When that happens, I use Sunny Day, and they have to decide wether of not they want a SolarBeam in their face. An example is right here. Will-O-Wisp is used to cripple physical sweepers.

220px-003Venusaur.png

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Growth
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

My Chlorophyll abuser. First I put them to sleep, then Growth while they're napping (or switching out), then hit them with SolarBeam and HP Fire.

180px-196Espeon.png

Espeon (M) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Psychic

My wall. Sets up screens, then attacks. Short, easy.

images

Leafeon (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Aerial Ace
- X-Scissor

Another Chlorophyll user. Uses SD, then starts sweeping (sort of). Focus Sash so it can at least do something.

Heatran-legendary-pokemon-12816491-243-174.jpg

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The best mid-game filler for the sun. Pretty much the same as Ninetales. Once Ninetales is down, they think that their weather inducer is safe. The second that happens, Heatran comes in, Sunny Day, no-charge SolarBeam. HP Ice is for Dragons.

images

Chandelure (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- SolarBeam

A beast in the sun. Overheat and Shadow Ball as STAB, SolarBeam nearly obvious, HP Steel for Fighting and Rock types.

Sawsbuck
Donphan

None yet

This is my team, and I'm open to any and all suggestions.​

Last edited:

Utopian

faults & feats
1) you need a rapid spinner!
2) you lose to heatran
3) why the hell would you run a leafeon when there is sawsbuck.
4) running donphan over espy gives you an answer to tran and deals with dragons

Last edited:

garchompmaster29

Xatu>Espeon
The team itself is not a bad concept, and the move sets are awesome but this team has some obvious flaws. For 1 you cannot even touch heatran. Seriously, 80% of your moves either don't effect it or are resisted 4x by it. You don't have any ground type moves either, so it literally stomps all over your face. Chandelure can do some damage to it, but against the common 252/252 calm set, your hp fighting is doing 42.48-50.25% Obviously not a 2hko factoring in leftovers. Meanwhile heatran will just earth power you and do 67.93-80.15%. This means your are easily being 2HKOd and its not.

Point is you have tran problems.

My first suggestion to you is to take off either chandelure or heatran. You don't need 2 flash fire users, as they are really redundant. 2ndly, give heatran earth power, take off sunny day, you already have tails w sunny day to boot.

Finally, Leafeon is really really meh as a sweeper seeing that it lacks any form of coverage. If you are determined to use it, at least replace aerial ace with return.

But I would reccomend Sawsbuck as it has much better type coverage and great STABs.

Finally, whichever flash fire user you do replace, I would put rotom-wash as a substitute. On a sun team, rotom can switch in to heatran and still threaten it with hydro pump. It reaks havoc against opposing rain teams as well, and can use a very strong HP fire. Having a bulky water is never a bad idea.

Best of luck.

garchompmaster29

Xatu>Espeon
Pika, I think you missed my post responding to Jets. But anyways, you should also shift those 20 evs over to hp unless you have some specific physical hit your trying to survive.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Problems off of the bat:

1. Three of your pokemon (Ninetales, Heatran, Chandelure) are weak to ground attacks (one taking x4 damage).
2. Two of your pokemon (Ninetales and Chandelure) are weak to rock attacks
3. Two of your pokemon (Venusaur and Leafeon) are weak to Fire, Flying and Ice.
4. Two of your pokemon (Leafeon and Espeon) are weak to Bug.
5. No spinner and 2 of your pokemon hate stealth rocks (best hope is Espeon to Magic Bounce, but it's sticky prediction)
6. Your team is overly reliant on sun being up with no means to counter other weather teams (well, except hail) in the event you lose the weather.
7. Chandelure's setup is going to make it difficult to compete in the OU metagame. Timid nature and preferably a Choice Scarf make it more viable.
8. Volt-turn is going to be an annoying strategy to defeat with your current team layout.

That said, your team really needs better synergy. There are a lot of pokemon to consider to help you out.

Starmie can be a good spinner and handle a lot of common threats with Psyshock, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Rapid Spin. Rapid spin would clear hazard, Psyshock would cover your problems with threats like Terrakion, Conkeldurr, Gengar, Mienshao... (you get the point). Thunderbolt takes out some water types and gives Skarmory something to think about. Ice Beam covers dragon types.

Landorus is another great choice. It gives you a great sand team counter with sandforce. You can also set it up with a choice scarf and have a very good revenge killer. With a set like Stone Edge, Earthquake, U-Turn, HP Ice... you could revenge a lot. Stone Edge and Earthquake offer you the best coverage. U-Turn helps you scout and keep momentum in battle. HP Ice covers dragons, gliscor and rival Landorus. Naturally a Naive nature is best for such a set. You could go all physical with another coverage move if you really want.

Terrakion is a faster revenge killer and just as brutal. Close Combat, Stone Edge, Earthquake and X-Scissor hurt a lot of things....

As Jets mentioned, Donphan is another great choice for a rapid spinner. You have a lot of great choices you can make. Volcarona is another fire type to play around with if you want to switch your team up a little bit...

I think I've put enough here so you know to look over team synergy and make sure all of your weaknesses are addressed. you don't need to use the pokemon I suggested, but you do need to try and make sure your team doesn't have a lot of shared threats. Hope this helps a bit.

EDIT: 9. Two of your Pokemon (Espeon and Chandelure) are weak to Ghost and Dark types (almost missed that one xD lol)

Last edited:

Utopian

faults & feats
Or you could just read my 4 sentence post that sums up what all these peeps said :)

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Or you could just read my 4 sentence post that sums up what all these peeps said :)

Because if more people say more or less what you just did, there is just that much bigger a chance the person may actually listen to you lol. But credit where it's due. You did beat me to the punch on the Donphan issue. And I also agree that Leafeon will be more comfortable staying in NU where it belongs (sorry, but it sucks at coverage).

garchompmaster29

Xatu>Espeon
Hey guys guess what XD. I beat ALL of you to the punch on Donphan. I pmed him the instant this thread opened XD. (It doesn't matter really, I'm just being stupid).

Anyways...

Being that you are running life orb chandelure, it is much wiser to run fire blast.

Overheat and life orb are terrible in conjunction with each other, and if your going to do that you may as well run specs.

Of course the best option is to just remove chandelure entirely for 1 of the above mentioned pokemon.

ProjectTitan313

Fire breathing moth
A spinner in lieu of Chandelure is likely the best way to improve what you have.
Starmie, Donphan, Forretress, and Tentacruel do well enough. I found Tentacruel... well, it went horribly but that's not important.

I'd say the best one, in your case, is probably Donphan. It puts a lot of heat on Heatran (Starmie's Sun weakened Water moves barely tickle), and also hammers dragons with Ice Shard or Stone Edge. It can run Stealth Rock as well, giving you some extra damage and keeping Multiscale in check. Its also a strong physical attacker, balancing out your primarily Special based team, and even gives you a Rock resist and Thunder Wave immunity, while adding a TTar counter (SunnyBeam Ninetales can't OHKO iirc).

Now, I know you have Magic Bounce, but some things (like Tyranitar) can get SR out, while Espeon obviously can't risk Bouncing them. If the foe does manage to get hazards up, Espeon won't help. If it turns out not being much of an issue, maybe Sand Force Hippowdon could be useful.

Leafeon, that actually gives you some Defense to sponge Earthquake. I found Sawsbuck way too frail for my liking. However, your Dual Screen Espeon can help with that, so Sawsbuck is probably a better option over Leafeon on account of actually having a movepool.

And someone mentioned Rotom-W I think. That could do great, with Volt Switch giving you better switchins, checks Heatran, and Venusaur/Heatran covers Grass perfectly, while also granting a Ground immunity for your own Heatran. And can, of course, have a field day against rain teams.

Or, if you don't want Donphan, I'd suggest putting Stealth Rock on Heatran. It can force out a lot of stuff and that's one of the two main things that set up Stealth Rock against me (I also run a Sun team).

I hope some of it helps :)

EDIT: it looks like SilentOmen found your thread. He was a HUGE help to mine, so definitely hear him out ;)

Last edited:

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
EDIT: it looks like SilentOmen found your thread. He was a HUGE help to mine, so definitely hear him out ;)

I know all, I see all -_- <---- Mystic Oracle face

Sarcastic self praise aside, thanks for the shout out. However, I've only given Pika a few considerations to think about. No solid "replace so and so with so and so" advice.

Pika ruler

Pikachu User
Hey guys guess what XD. I beat ALL of you to the punch on Donphan. I pmed him the instant this thread opened XD. (It doesn't matter really, I'm just being stupid).

Anyways...

Being that you are running life orb chandelure, it is much wiser to run fire blast.

Overheat and life orb are terrible in conjunction with each other, and if your going to do that you may as well run specs.

Of course the best option is to just remove chandelure entirely for 1 of the above mentioned pokemon.

Yes, you did PM me. anyways, I'll try out Fire Blast instead.

Problems off of the bat:

1. Three of your pokemon (Ninetales, Heatran, Chandelure) are weak to ground attacks (one taking x4 damage).
2. Two of your pokemon (Ninetales and Chandelure) are weak to rock attacks
3. Two of your pokemon (Venusaur and Leafeon) are weak to Fire, Flying and Ice.
4. Two of your pokemon (Leafeon and Espeon) are weak to Bug.
5. No spinner and 2 of your pokemon hate stealth rocks (best hope is Espeon to Magic Bounce, but it's sticky prediction)
6. Your team is overly reliant on sun being up with no means to counter other weather teams (well, except hail) in the event you lose the weather.
7. Chandelure's setup is going to make it difficult to compete in the OU metagame. Timid nature and preferably a Choice Scarf make it more viable.
8. Volt-turn is going to be an annoying strategy to defeat with your current team layout.

That said, your team really needs better synergy. There are a lot of pokemon to consider to help you out.

Starmie can be a good spinner and handle a lot of common threats with Psyshock, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Rapid Spin. Rapid spin would clear hazard, Psyshock would cover your problems with threats like Terrakion, Conkeldurr, Gengar, Mienshao... (you get the point). Thunderbolt takes out some water types and gives Skarmory something to think about. Ice Beam covers dragon types.

Landorus is another great choice. It gives you a great sand team counter with sandforce. You can also set it up with a choice scarf and have a very good revenge killer. With a set like Stone Edge, Earthquake, U-Turn, HP Ice... you could revenge a lot. Stone Edge and Earthquake offer you the best coverage. U-Turn helps you scout and keep momentum in battle. HP Ice covers dragons, gliscor and rival Landorus. Naturally a Naive nature is best for such a set. You could go all physical with another coverage move if you really want.

Terrakion is a faster revenge killer and just as brutal. Close Combat, Stone Edge, Earthquake and X-Scissor hurt a lot of things....

As Jets mentioned, Donphan is another great choice for a rapid spinner. You have a lot of great choices you can make. Volcarona is another fire type to play around with if you want to switch your team up a little bit...

I think I've put enough here so you know to look over team synergy and make sure all of your weaknesses are addressed. you don't need to use the pokemon I suggested, but you do need to try and make sure your team doesn't have a lot of shared threats. Hope this helps a bit.

EDIT: 9. Two of your Pokemon (Espeon and Chandelure) are weak to Ghost and Dark types (almost missed that one xD lol)

I'll try out Donphan, but who should I replace???

The team itself is not a bad concept, and the move sets are awesome but this team has some obvious flaws. For 1 you cannot even touch heatran. Seriously, 80% of your moves either don't effect it or are resisted 4x by it. You don't have any ground type moves either, so it literally stomps all over your face. Chandelure can do some damage to it, but against the common 252/252 calm set, your hp fighting is doing 42.48-50.25% Obviously not a 2hko factoring in leftovers. Meanwhile heatran will just earth power you and do 67.93-80.15%. This means your are easily being 2HKOd and its not.

Point is you have tran problems.

My first suggestion to you is to take off either chandelure or heatran. You don't need 2 flash fire users, as they are really redundant. 2ndly, give heatran earth power, take off sunny day, you already have tails w sunny day to boot.

Finally, Leafeon is really really meh as a sweeper seeing that it lacks any form of coverage. If you are determined to use it, at least replace aerial ace with return.

But I would reccomend Sawsbuck as it has much better type coverage and great STABs.

Finally, whichever flash fire user you do replace, I would put rotom-wash as a substitute. On a sun team, rotom can switch in to heatran and still threaten it with hydro pump. It reaks havoc against opposing rain teams as well, and can use a very strong HP fire. Having a bulky water is never a bad idea.

Best of luck.

I'll try out Sawsbuck, but Hydro Pump on Rotom-W woud be weakened by the sun. However, Sunny Day is there in case Ninetales goes down.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Myself, I think Chandelure can prove to be the weakest link. However, Espeon can be shakey too. The only reason I say Chandelure is the better choice to take out is it removes a lot of common weaknesses and Espeon does have some utility beyond another fire type.

zerofield

i miss miror
Do what jets and omen said C:

As for my suggestion: Earth Power over solarbeam on heatran. This gives him valuable coverage, makes you less tran weak, and your team isnt all that scared of bulky waters anyway with sun support and chlorophyll abusers.

Pika ruler

Pikachu User
Myself, I think Chandelure can prove to be the weakest link. However, Espeon can be shakey too. The only reason I say Chandelure is the better choice to take out is it removes a lot of common weaknesses and Espeon does have some utility beyond another fire type.

Okay, I'll try one of my replacements with Chandy.

As for my suggestion: Earth Power over solarbeam on heatran. This gives him valuable coverage, makes you less tran weak, and your team isnt all that scared of bulky waters anyway with sun support and chlorophyll abusers.

Okay, I'll try that too.

Yellow De Viridian Grove

Is solarbeam really necessary on Venusaur or Chandelure? Solarbeam can force them to stay in as scarf/specToad comes and uses Ice Beam or Surf/Hydro Pump. I think a Scarfed Ice Beam is 2HKO, but I think a Specs is OHKO and a rain boostec surf is definitely going to OHKO. You also won't be able to OHKO Politoad with a half-powered Solarbeam. Another thing with Chandy is either change it to a Scarf set with EBall or use Scarf Landorus/Terrakion instead. They help counter sand and are great revengers

Utopian

faults & feats

tran still loses to offensive tran if she runs EP.

Sevans

Battle Subway Boss
Is solarbeam really necessary on Venusaur or Chandelure? Solarbeam can force them to stay in as scarf/specToad comes and uses Ice Beam or Surf/Hydro Pump. I think a Scarfed Ice Beam is 2HKO, but I think a Specs is OHKO and a rain boostec surf is definitely going to OHKO. You also won't be able to OHKO Politoad with a half-powered Solarbeam. Another thing with Chandy is either change it to a Scarf set with EBall or use Scarf Landorus/Terrakion instead. They help counter sand and are great revengers

IMO, Solarbeam or Energy Ball is a personal choice like Fire Blast or Flamethrower.

Suggestions:

Take out Chandelure. There are many reasons why it makes sense to do this;
-You currently have 2 flash fire pokés, unnecessary.
-Chandelure...
-has too many weaknesses
-is slow
-does the same stuff as heatran
-and has the weaknesses as heatran
-is slow
-Doesn't have sunny day like heatran
-doesn't have good resists
-is slow
You could give chandelure a scarf, but I honestly would scrap it to open up a spot on your team.

Leafeon shouldn't be used, unless you are really into it, and even then your team should be built to support it. It cannot sweep because it has no coverage, and it doesn't have insane Attack or anything.
Try a different Chlorophyll user with coverage. Possibly Sawsbuck as other people have suggested (it counters Heatran with Jump Kick), or you could try Victreebell.

Your Venusaur is... meh
It also has little coverage right now; Fire + Grass leaves you weak to many dragons and they will stop your sweeps before they start. Sleep Powder may be useful, but try this set; it has worked very well for me and is only har-countered by heatran:
Venusaur (M) @ (personal choice, I go with) Lum Berry (You can pick LO if you want.)
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
- Growth
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb​
Sludge bomb gives neutral STAB coverage on dragons. Solarbeam can be used over Energy Ball.

To fill one spot in your team, (instead of Rotom-W) you can try Starmie. It can be a rapid spinner, or a semi-sweeper with this moveset;
Starmie @ Expert Belt or Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic/Psyshock/Hidden Power Fire​
I almost discourage HP[fire], because of the speed drop (you are outsped by starmie then), but you are running a sun team. I know surf seems odd in sun, but it still hits stuff with STAB, so it ends up with the damage of around an un-STABed surf.
The Rapid Spinner Varient should have Rapid Spin and 3 attacks with a sweeper EV Spread, or Rapid spin, Recover, and two attacks with a bulky EV spread.

That's all my suggestions for now.