• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My Piano compositions (Feel free to say what you think)

Piano is the Rhythm

(if not desired please delete)
Hey Guys i would like to introduce myself. I play piano since i was 10 years old and in my free time i like to compose my own Music. At first I composed randomly pieces but currently I want to compose pieces in anime style. Dont know if i am succesfull but i hope you enjoy it anyway :)
I would be glad if you would give me some feedback on my compositions or hit the like&subscribe button if you like the video(s):D

This is my newest compostion "Walking into the Sunset"

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
I wish I could give like proper critique on this, but I have not studied music in any way, except for watching composers on Youtube react and dissect video game and anime OST so all I can say is how I felt listening to this.

The title "Walking in the Sunset" made me expect a more somber piece, and it seemed to start out that way...but then about 30 secs-1 min in, it turns a lot more cheerful and energetic, almost cat-like (tho I blame the pic for that mental image) and then from there it goes back and forth in a pretty natural way, except the more "somber" parts are now not somber but calm and cheerful, giving me the mental image of someone walking after having a good day at school or work, and then ends on the more peaceful note, almost like signifying they reached home. Again, I wish I had more technical stuff to say to but I'm not a composer so that's the best I can give. Simply put: that's what it felt like to me and I liked it.

Now would I listen to this on repeat for the song alone? I will be blunt and say, unfortunately, no. But I feel like I would if I associated it with something I liked too.

Piano is the Rhythm

First of all, thank you very much for your honest feedback. Unfortunately, I also have no understanding of music theory and compose by feeling. Therefore, your answer helps me a lot to improve myself even further. At the same time, I also hope to gain new listeners, which is why I would like to continue posting my music here in the future (if allowed) If you have any further criticism or suggestions, please feel free to let me know :):)

Piano is the Rhythm

Heyho, I just uploaded my latest piece. If you are a little bored and you can spare 2min, I would be happy if you take a look. :)
I was inspired to the piece when I found an old photo of my former cat (best cat in the world):D

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I checked the Fan Art rules just to be sure and they say "original art is welcome" so you should be good. Either way, I'm really glad that you're posting these compositions. I grew up playing the piano but stopped in my early teens because I was dumb. I'd love to pick it back up so this might be a good catalyst, plus I've really enjoyed both of the pieces you've posted so far :)

I'll start with your most recent piece, "A Little Explorer Called Tigryz": I thought you did a really good job projecting the feeling of a cat exploring the house through the keys. The part that sticks in my head the most is from 0:50-1:00, it all came together really well where the keystrokes (I want to say staccato but maybe more elongated than that) actually sounded like cat paws. I also really liked here the use of half steps to give off that mischievous vibe so associated with the feline species. It worked in this section and onward, but there were a couple places in the beginning (0:09-0:13, 0:22-23) where I had to go back and listen again because they felt more jarring. It seemed less intentional and more like an error the first listen through in those early spots specifically but I was eventually able to figure it out.

I also really enjoyed "Walking into the Sunset" on its own merit, but I had a hard time classifying it as "anime style" at first. Maybe my knowledge of the genre is limited, but all the anime songs I've heard tend to have one mood/tempo that they stick with from beginning to end. Your piece went back and forth between faster/energetic and slow/calm which is more reminiscent of classical pieces and I'm all for that. I don't know how much of a difference it is to say "anime style" vs. "anime influenced", but I feel like the latter works better in this context. Infusing elements of "low art" (anime) into compositions that are otherwise examples of "high art" (classical music) will always be really cool in my book.

Piano is the Rhythm

Thank you for your feedback, that makes me really happy because I wasn't sure if I catch the "cat theme" succesfull ^^
It's never too late to start playing piano again. Do it :D ^^

I don't think I managed to compose "Walking into the Sunset" properly in the anime style. Maybe thats because it was hard for you to classifying it as anime-style. I've played a lot of classical music (Chopin, Bach, Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart, Rachmaninoff) and i think in my compositions, these two styles (classic and anime) mix subconsciously, so I sometimes have problems composing a piece completely in the anime style. But i do my best to get better :)

Personally, I think that I hit the anime style best with "Pink Sakura". I can leave the link here below. Maybe you enjoy it as well :)

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Really good job with "Pink Sakura". Once again you captured the feeling of what you set out to describe with the keys. Especially at the beginning it sounded like cherry blossom petals falling :)

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Sorry it took me so long to listen to this - I have my own battle with zeal and laziness on a daily basis ;)

A couple questions/comments:

1) Did you mean to transition so abruptly between 3/4 and 4/4 at 1:02? It was a little jarring to me but I don't know if that was intentional. Going back from 4/4 to 3/4 felt much more natural at 2:56.

2) I thought the piece did a good job at presenting the struggle to work oneself out of a lazy mindset in the middle, but I didn't necessarily get the "laziness" at the beginning/end of the piece. It honestly felt more like depression, and there's something to be said about the two of them (depression and a lack of desire to do anything) being linked sometimes.

The emotion I get from your style of playing (in all the songs, not just this one) is one of earnestness or sincerity, and I'm not sure if laziness can be captured by playing that way.

I wish I knew more musical terms to better convey what I'm trying to say - perhaps I'm thinking add more legato to the laziness side of it? Like play in a way that almost sounds like you're talking and your words are slurred. I'm really not sure what musical term would give the piece a sense of "sarcasm"...I found this article and the first video link kind of describes what I'm thinking, but I really need to work at getting my musical know-how up to speed. https://blog.nando.audio/post/149295104823/sarcasm-in-classical-music

EDIT: So I took a look at your channel and found a song you wrote that captured what I was trying to say really well about a "sarcastic" tone: Still Waiting, especially at the beginning, does a fantastic job at providing that sleepy but playful feel.

Last edited:

Piano is the Rhythm

Hey no problem dude I currently have the same problem x'D. Thank you for your feedback^^ I will try to answer your question as good as i can :)

1) It wasn't really on purpose. I've listened to the passage a few times, unfortunately I can't find out what exactly you mean by "abruptly". Maybe you can try to explain me again xD

2) But that was exactly on purpose. Personally, I've had the experience that when I couldn't motivate myself to do anything and was very lazy, I was also a bit depressed at the same time. At the moment I am preparing for my exams and this is where I noticed it most. If I couldn't motivate myself to study and wasted time, then I was not only lazy but also depressed. I think I wanted to transfer this feeling into my music.

But you might be right. It is unlikely that laziness can be captured in this way.

To be honest, even if you had used musical terms now, I wouldn't know what exactly you mean by that. My music theory is like a stone in water xDD
The Link you sent me, I'll translate and look at it for the next few days. Thanks a lot for this :D

Thanks for the example that definitely helped me understand. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you again for your feedback and for taking the time to deal with the music.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Splendid

Piano is the Rhythm

Heyho guys. Today it will be a little different because this time there is no original composition and no anime style either. This is for all CoD Black Ops 1 lovers. A small remix of the well-known "Damned" theme with a little improvisation of myself. Hope you like it even if it has nothing to do with anime :D

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Hey Guys, here's a new little piece of music from me. I would be happy if you would have a look. If you like it, you are very welcome to leave a sub & like :) :)

Just got around to watching this. Overall it's very solid and I like it - a couple very minor nitpicks about rhythm (0:15) but not a lot to criticize :) You seem to have found a "musical aesthetic" that works for you and that's good. I would just make sure that you continue to mix it up some so that future songs don't sound too "samey".

Listening to the Call of Duty cover now, probably won't comment on it other than to say it's very good :)

Piano is the Rhythm

Thank you for your feedback^^
In any case, I would like to try to keep mixing. I think if I now learn and play covers more often that I also get more ideas for my compositions :D

I wasn't sure if the jazz sounded good in the bo1 cover (I personally liked it) but I got a lot of positive feedback. It was a pleasure :)

Piano is the Rhythm

Hey guys, I would like to introduce you to my latest composition. I have finished my exams and written a piece that, in my opinion, fits in with the exam preparations. Maybe you like it :D