• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My planned Platinum Team

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Admittedly, this forum says D, P and BR, but I'm sure platinum teams go here, not in the RBY one.

Anyway, my planned team is now complete, and I want to know what to improve. It is an all out offensive team, because ingame CPUs are puny, and walling strategies make me bored :p.

Empoleon (Modest) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Torrent
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot
-Flash Cannon/Signal Beam

Garchomp (Adamant) @ Amulet Coin (Casual use)/Yache Berry (Battle tower and E4)
Trait: Sand Veil
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang
-Swords Dance

Porygon-Z (Modest) @Wise Glasses (Before E4)/Life Orb
Trait: Adaptability
-Tri-Attack
-Dark Pulse
-Thunderbolt
-Nasty Plot

Togekiss (Calm) @Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
-Aura Sphere
-Air Slash
-Roost
-HM Fly

Scizor (Adamant) @ ??? (Casual use)/Occa Berry (Battle tower and E4)
Trait: Technician
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance
-False Swipe
-Roost

Kingdra (Calm) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Swift Swim
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Rain Dance
-Dragon Dance

Criteria:
HM Surf, HM Fly and false Swipe must stay on the team. They can move around though...
No egg moves, except on Kingdra (BTW, could I have outrage as an egg move?)
No Evs, or IVs, or HP types.

Last edited:

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Admittedly, this forum says D, P and BR, but I'm sure platinum teams go here, not in the RBY one.

Anyway, my team has 5 planned members, and I want to know what to improve, as well as which Starter Pokemon to have (plus moveset) to help cover my team. It is an all out offensive team, because ingame CPUs are puny, and walling strategies make me bored :p.

Garchomp (Adamant) @Yache Berry (Only for Battle tower and Elite four)
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang
-Swords Dance
Outrage is recommended as nothing will be able to withstand a STAB Swords Dance boosted Outrage, which will 1-2HKO all Pokemon after 1 or 2 Swords Dance boosts (+2-4 Atk).

Porygon-Z (Modest) @Silk Scarf
-Tri-Attack
-Dark Pulse
-Thunderbolt
-Nasty Plot
Good.

-Aura Sphere
-Air Slash
-Roost
-Thunder Wave / Body Slam
Either choose to slow down ghosts or ground types. I recommend Body Slam as most Ground types in the BT are faster.

Scizor (Adamant) @Occa Berry (Only for Battle tower and Elite four)
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance
-X Scissor / U-Turn
-Roost

Kingdra (Careful/Calm) @ Damp Rock
-Surf
-Outrage
-Rain Dance
-Dragon Dance
Good.

Criteria:
Last Pokemon to be a Starter, please.
HM Surf, HM Fly and false Swipe must stay on the team. They can move around though...
No Evs, or IVs.

I suggest you get Pokemon to move you around and a Pokemon for False Swipe.

Changes in Bold.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Anyway, my team has 5 planned members, and I want to know what to improve, as well as which Starter Pokemon to have (plus moveset) to help cover my team. It is an all out offensive team, because ingame CPUs are puny, and walling strategies make me bored :p.

Garchomp (Adamant) @Yache Berry (Only for Battle tower and Elite four)
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang
-Swords Dance
Outrage is recommended as nothing will be able to withstand a STAB Swords Dance boosted Outrage, which will 1-2HKO all Pokemon after 1 or 2 Swords Dance boosts (+2-4 Atk). Hmm, but Outrage is either an Egg move, or an after Elite 4 Move Tutor, which requires 8 more blue shards. Would Dragon claw still work.

Porygon-Z (Modest) @Silk Scarf
-Tri-Attack
-Dark Pulse
-Thunderbolt
-Nasty Plot
Good.

-Aura Sphere
-Air Slash
-Roost
-Thunder Wave / Body Slam
Either choose to slow down ghosts or ground types. I recommend Body Slam as most Ground types in the BT are faster. I guess, but I do still want Fly... And this team isn't purely for Battle tower.

Scizor (Adamant) @Occa Berry (Only for Battle tower and Elite four)
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance
-X Scissor / U-Turn
-Roost
Again, you removed False Swipe when I said not to. Swords Dance kind of removes the need for coverage.

Kingdra (Careful/Calm No changes means I guess either would suffice.) @ Damp Rock
-Surf
-Outrage
-Rain Dance
-Dragon Dance
Good.

Criteria:
Last Pokemon to be a Starter, please. No suggestions?
No Evs, or IVs.
-
I suggest you get Pokemon to move you around and a Pokemon for False Swipe. I get very fed up needing to switch a pokemon into the PC for Fly ingame, and an in team False Swipe removes the need to train another, something I'm very bad at doing. If I was willing to do this, I wouldn't have specified that I wanted them to stay.

Changes in Bold.
My comments in Bold

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!

CROWN

Quintessant Ruin
;392; Infernape@Life Orb
Naive (+Spd, -Sp. Def)
~ Close Combat
~ Flamethrower/Fire Blast
~ Grass Knot
~ Nasty Plot
This might be good for your team. Hope I helped you some. :)

Last edited:

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
;392; Infernape@Life Orb
Naive (+Spd, -Sp. Def)
~ Close Combat
~ Flamethrower/Fire Blast
~ Hidden Power [Ice]
~ Nasty Plot
This might be good for your team. Hope I helped you some. :)

If I'm not breeding for IV's, heaven help me get the right hidden power type. Graas knot?

CROWN

Quintessant Ruin
Sorry I forgot about that. Just go with Grass Knot or since this is a Platinum team you could go with Thunderpunch as it is a move-tutor move.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Kingdra is awesome now. You made a good choice making it a Double Dancer and choosing Kingdra in general. Now kingdra can OHKO almost anything and outplace anything.

For an offense team, Infernape is probably the best:

Infernape@Life Orb
Naive
Flamethrower
Close Combat
Grass Knot
Thunder Punch(for after you beat the E4)/Shadow Claw
I've always liked Shadow Claw on Infernape. While in competitive it doesn't help him too much, In-Game it can be pretty useful.

Infernape@Life Orb
Naive
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Grass Knot
Close Combat
Nasty Plot
Simple NPApe

Infernape@Life Orb
Jolly
Flare Blitz
Close Combat
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
The long-lost brother of Nasty Plot Infernape.

arceus03

Porygon-Z wants a Life Orb.

Criteria:
Last Pokemon to be a Starter, please.
No Evs, or IVs.

Infernape isn't going to perform well when Kingdra is doing a Rain Dance. If you want a starter, either Blastoise, Feraligatr, Swampert or Empoleon. The latter two are the more popular these days, so..

dpmfa260.png

Swampert, Relaxed (+Def, -Speed)
-Curse
-Earthquake
-Waterfall
-Ice Beam
Standard Swampy.

Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
-Ice Punch
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Superpower

Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
Item: Choice Specs
-Ice Beam
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Earth Power
-filler/HP Fire

dpmfa395.png

Empoleon, Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot
-Flash Cannon
Shiny Trainer's long-ago set. For Calm Empoleon, replace Choice Specs with Lefties/Wise Glasses and put Stealth Rock > Flash Cannon. Agility would have been much better but you don't want egg moves =\

Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
Item: Petaya Berry
-Substitute
-Grass Knot
-Surf
-Ice Beam
randomn00b's set now =P
Original set was Agility+Sub to activate Petaya Berry, but you don't want egg moves so yeah. Won't be as speedy as that, but still... Surf becomes very powerful in this stage, having gotten a boost from Petaya, Torrent and Rain Dance (If it's still raining) and STAB.

Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
-Swords Dance
-Avalanche
-Earthquake
-Aqua Jet
Barely used physical set.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Porygon-Z wants a Life Orb.

Infernape isn't going to perform well when Kingdra is doing a Rain Dance. If you want a starter, either Blastoise, Feraligatr, Swampert or Empoleon. The latter two are the more popular these days, so..

dpmfa260.png

Swampert, Relaxed (+Def, -Speed)
-Curse
-Earthquake
-Waterfall
-Ice Beam
Standard Swampy.

Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
-Ice Punch
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Superpower

Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
-Ice Beam
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Earth Power
-filler/HP Fire

dpmfa395.png

Empoleon, Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot
-Flash Cannon
Shiny Trainer's long-ago set. For Calm Empoleon, replace Choice Specs with Lefties/Wise Glasses and put Stealth Rock > Flash Cannon. Agility would have been much better but you don't want egg moves =\

Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
Item: Petaya Berry
-Substitute
-Grass Knot
-Surf
-Ice Beam
randomn00b's set now =P
Original set was Agility+Sub to activate Petaya Berry, but you don't want egg moves so yeah. Won't be as speedy as that, but still... Surf becomes very powerful in this stage, having gotten a boost from Petaya, Torrent and Rain Dance (If it's still raining) and STAB.

Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
-Swords Dance
-Avalanche
-Earthquake
-Aqua Jet
Barely used physical set.

For an offense team, Infernape is probably the best:

Infernape@Life Orb
Naive
Flamethrower
Close Combat
Grass Knot
Thunder Punch(for after you beat the E4)/Shadow Claw
I've always liked Shadow Claw on Infernape. While in competitive it doesn't help him too much, In-Game it can be pretty useful.

Infernape@Life Orb
Naive
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Grass Knot
Close Combat
Nasty Plot
Simple NPApe

Infernape@Life Orb
Jolly
Flare Blitz
Close Combat
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
The long-lost brother of Nasty Plot Infernape.

Life Orbs and Choice things are only available in Battle Tower, so any suggestions for a filler until then? As for Petaya berry, I have no idea where to get one, and they are hard to grow, so would be for Battle Tower only.

I'm leaning towards Empoleon, because Ice Beam gives a lot of coverage, and gives me a dragon counter, while Surf lets me put a better move on Kingdra.

I don't need another physical water, and substitute has less point without a petaya berry, so I think I'll go for the Specs set.

arceus03

I don't need another physical water, and substitute has less point without a petaya berry, so I think I'll go for the Specs set.

I forgot to add:
Signal Beam can go over Flash Cannon on Specs Empoleon. It's your pick, as the last move is actually a filler.

Choice Specs is an item before the BT, though. To compensate for Life Orb, Wise Glasses can be used. Otherwise, just equip Amulet Coin for some money ;) Or Sitrus Berry, or whatever.

Last edited:

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
You get Choice Specs in Celestic Town.

EDIT: Corrected myself. It was Celestic Town...

Last edited:

Poke-friend

Wayward Traveler
This team needs little to no improvement. If Kingdra is the last pokemon, and you get stuck with a Shedinja, you're, as they say, royally screwed. Man, I really wanted to say that. Life Orb could also work on Garchomp.