• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My Sandstorm Team (OU)

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
This is the first time I'm doing competitive battling officially anyways. I tried to get into it during D/P era when Wi-Fi was introduced. Breeding and Ev training was simple however I never spent the time to form a proper team that could properly counter it's weaknesses, or worked well together for that matter. So it didn't end well when I actually battled online.
Now with X and Y coming out I'm really wanting to get into it. So I decided to start off with a Sandstorm team. Any suggestions or changes would be great, item suggestions would be great too like Tyranitar for example.

248.gif

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Type: Rock/Dark
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Sp. Def
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
T-tar is pretty obvious for this team, I'll usually lead off with it to start Sandstorm for my team. Crunch and Pursuit are good STAB moves for T-tar. Crunch has a chance of lowering my opponents Def, and Pursuit will be used against Psychic-types that try to flee from it. Stone Edge is another good STAB move due to it's 120 power making it a great move. Superpower is decent when facing up against Steel-types, or other Pokemon that resist T-tar's other moves.

330.gif

Flygon @ Choice Band
Type: Ground/Dragon
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
Flygon is one I used during the 2013 Spring Friendly competition and it was great. So I decided use it on this team a sweeper(mainly just spamming Outrage, lol). Outrage will be Flygon's main move due to being such a powerful STAB move. U-turn will allow Flygon to switch out more easily. I chose Jolly to give Flygon more Spd and Choice Band to give it more power. Stone Edge is decent when dealing with Flying-types instead of resorting to using Outrage and getting stuck. Earthquake is another good STAB move for anything that resist's Outrage.

593.gif

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Type: Water/Ghost
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Sp. Def
Clam Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball
Jellicent is sort of my annoyer for the team. With it's good dual-typing and good defenses it can stall while dealing decent damage as well. Scald not only has a chance of Burning my opponent but it's also dealing damage. Toxic's only purpose is to Poison my opponent. I'll switch into Jellicent to take any Normal, and Fighting-type moves since it's immune great for T-tar and my Steel-type mons, an with Water Absorb it's immune to Water-type moves as well. Speaking of it's ability Water Absorb if Jellicent is hit by any water-type moves it will recover any HP which is always nice especially if I anticipate it. Recover is nice to have considering Jellicent does get hurt by Sandstorm as well as absorbing most hit's for my team, I've also given it Leftovers for more HP giving it better survival.
Note: Instead of having Shadow Ball could I switch it for Substitute?

530.gif

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Type: Ground/Steel
Ability: Sand Rush
EV's: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor/Rapid Spin
I chose Excadrill thx to Loco1234's suggestion. Excadrill will work probably as one of my best sweepers for the team. After I've set up Sandstorm it's ability Sand Rush will double it's Speed which will help it out speed practically everything. Adding on it's high Atk stat this thing will sweep through my opponents team with ease. Setting up a Swords Dance will just ensure an easier sweep. Air Balloon will protect Excadrill from any ground moves until it's hit. Earthquake is a great STAB move that'll OHKO most even some that can resist it. Since Excadrill can't learn Stone Edge, Rock Slide is the next best thing to deal with those that can't be hit by EQ. X-Scissor is a great move to deal with Psychic, and Dark-types, and Rapid Spin is the other option to clear potential hazards.

579.gif

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Type: Psychic
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Focus Blast
I chose Reuniclus due to it's ability Magic Guard which makes it immune to weather effects. Calm Mind is used for boosting up both Sp. Atk and Sp. Def adding on more survival and more power. Psyshock is a rather special move by using your Sp. Atk and attacking your opponents Def instead of Sp. Def. Focus Blast is to deal with Dark, and Steel-types and Recover allows Reuniclus more survival since it's holding Life Orb.

212.gif

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
Type: Bug/Steel
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
This one is pretty simple, a fast revenge killer. I can easily switch into this to deal massive damage with either Bullet Punch or Superpower. Or I can use U-turn to easily escape or just to deal damage for a safe switch in. I wanted to make sure it's as fast as possible with Choice Scarf + Jolly nature. This is a Pokemon I don't want to use not until late in the game, or if I can anticipate an easy kill.

I looked up these pokemon on suggested Sandstorm teams as well as on Smogon for their moves, natures, and abilities, etc. So if anything seems strange, or why on earth did you do that...that's why so go easy plz. I'll learn all this eventually :)

Edit: Added in descriptions as best I can, I didn't really know what to put in at first though so I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Hey there. You seem to be trying a sand balence team. I would recommend adding either for regress or Skarmory onto your team, probably over gastrodon, as they add spikes to your team, and the former can spin.

Also, we need descriptions in order to better rate your team.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Ok I added descriptions for them all. Still need an idea for a held item for T-tar.
Any suggestions or changes will be helpful, thank you :)

SoundofMadness

Speed Kills
Since you appear to be sporting some SDef on your T-Tar, I would start with Leftovers as the held item, and go from there. If you find that you need more "umph" after some testing, you can always change it out with another item.

Also, if you're wanting an Outrage Dragon as your sweeper, Garchomp has slightly more speed and higher Attack than Flygon, though you lose out on the Levitate ability.

Something like:

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Type: Ground/Dragon
Ability: Rough SKin
Nature: Jolly
OutRage
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Dual Chop

GL with your team :)

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Since you've got it with SDef, I would assume you're wanting it to take some hits, so I would suggest Leftovers. :)
Jellicent already has Leftovers since it takes damage from Sandstorm every turn allowing it to survive longer. Besides the Item clause rule won't allow me to put Leftovers on both Jellicent and T-tar :/

SoundofMadness

Speed Kills
Didn't realize there was an item clause against them :?

If that's the case, you could switch your T-Tar to a Choice Band or a Choice Scarf variety and make it more of a trapper...assuming you'd want to go that route...

Or you could scan through the berries and find a nice one for it to hold :)

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Smogon OU doesn't have Item Clause though... And there's nothing wrong with 2 Pokes having the same item if there's no Item Clause

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Hey there. You seem to be trying a sand balence team. I would recommend adding either for regress or Skarmory onto your team, probably over gastrodon, as they add spikes to your team, and the former can spin.
Which pokemon are you talking about when you say regress? Are you talking about Forretress cause it can use spikes/stealth rock, not to mention it actually balances out my teams weakness's verses having that x4 weakness to grass and Scizor being the only one to deal with it.(Yea having two Bug/Steel types gives me two x4 weak to Fire but I've got three other Pokemon that can resist it)

Smogon OU doesn't have Item Clause though... And there's nothing wrong with 2 Pokes having the same item if there's no Item Clause
That maybe true but I'm not going to be facing against people from Smogon over Wi-Fi where those type of rules are removed. I'll be using the Random Matchup since it's easier than trying to ask someone just to have a battle, and one of it's rules is the Item Clause :/

Besides I don't like how they don't enforce the Item Clause, how annoying is that facing against someone with multiple Leftovers, Choice Bands, Specs, and Scarfs, not to mention Focus Sash's. I like how Wi-fi competitions, and in-game battles like Random Matchup has these rules it makes the game more a of a challenge.

Last edited:

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Well, if this is for RMU, I believe Excadrill is legal. Excadrill's literally the best thing you could put on any Sand team it's allowed on ever, since after 1 SD it sweeps everything. It even sweeps in Smogon Ubers.

Alternatively, Pokemon Online and Showdown! (particularly Showdown!) generally have stronger opponents than RMU, although Showdown! follows Smogon rules and PO just kinda does its own thing. Haven't used PO in forever.

But yeah, here's an Excadrill set, I remember fondly when it was OU, if you got an SD off with Sand up your opponent either scooped or got swept.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Trait: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor/Rapid Spin (You don't have a spinner so I'd go Rapid Spin)

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
@loco1234: Yea I've actually done a few rounds on Pokemon Showdown here recently with this team. Must admit though I hate that it doesn't enforce the Item Clause. I faced against so many players using multiple Leftovers, and Choice items so very annoying.
I exchanged Gastrodon for Forretress and I've got to say out of five quick matches I only lost once cause of noobish mistakes :p

But I've heard Excadrill is ridiculously good, Sand Rush doubling it's SPD in a Sandstorm makes it dangerous with it's 135 base ATK. Add on a few SD and it's a nightmare regardless if pokemon resist it's moves. Only thing is which one do I remove from my team if I decide to use Excadrill? Like I said I'm exchanging Gastrodon for Forretress to set up traps. Instead I could exchange it for Excadrill considering I like pretty much everything else on my team.

So I guess my question now is which should choose Forretress or Excadrill?

Last edited:

SoundofMadness

Speed Kills
If it's a choice between Forretress and Exadrill, go Exadrill...hands down...unless you really want a slow poke for some reason...then I'd still probably go Exadrill ;)