• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

my second and favorite competitve team

i admit my first team (raging rampardos) was bad and not thought through very much but i think this team has much more potential

Serperior contrary
ev:124 defense
124 sp defense
252 speed
10 hp
+sp atk -atk
gastro acid (use on slaking)
leaf storm (contrary will boost sp attack)
light screen (most fire type moves are special attacks)
reflect (bug and flying moves are usually physical)
grass gem (to power up leaf storm before the sp atk increase)

this pokemon will eliminate slaking's truant making him that much more powerful, but, it also can damage quite a bit on its own, if it uses leaf storm, the grass gem will boost it a lot, then it will give it double sp atk because of its contrary ability

Slaking truant
ev: 252 sp defense
252 attack
6 defence
+atk -sp atk
slack off
return (STAB
ice punch (tpunch and ice punch are like bolt beam)
thunderpunch/or maybe gunk shot
ice gem ( why? salamence, dragonite and garchomp)

thanks to gastro acid, slaking will be incredibly OP with a legendary stat total (570) it is worth using a turn to do

Blaziken speed boost
ev: 120 attack
120 sp attack
120 defense
120sp defense
30 speed
neutral
heat wave (STAB hits both foe pokemon)
hi jump kick (STAB 130 power)
thunderpunch (deals with water types)
protect (low defense will attract hits and speed boost will boost his speed by one)
wide lens (gives hi jump kick a 1% miss ratio)

this is a pretty solitary pokemon, it can use protect to boost its speed at the end of the turn and after that can outspeed most pokemon

Cresselia levitate
ev: 252 defense
252 sp defense
6 sp attack
+sp atk -atk
calm mind (powers up psychic and icy wind)
icy wind (slows both opponents down)
psychic (STAB)
focus blast (for dealing with dark and steel types)
leftovers (works well with her)

with OP defenses she can with withstand almost any attack
and after using calm mind a bit it will have an awesome attack power too

escavalier
ev:252 attack
129 defense
129 sp defense
+atk -sp attack
mega horn (his most powerful move)
iron head (STAB a chance of flinching)
swords dance (obvious reasons)
protect (stops fire type moves)
steel gem (powers up iron head)

i personally like this guy better than scizor even though he can't baton pass but whatever, escavalier has WAY better sp defense and also is resilent to almost all attacks and can switch with starmie for fire attacks

starmie
ev:252 defense
252 sp defense
6 sp attack
+sp atk -atk
rapid spin (clears entry hazards)
psychic (STAB normal effective against lanturn)
thunderbolt
ice beam
air balloon (prevents entry hazard damage for rapid spinning)

starmie is used for rapid spinning and a halance for my team's general fire weakness

*i appologize for any spelling mistakes, this was done on my old ipod*

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Well, upon revision of the OP, it would appear this is a Doubles team. So I'll rate it as such, for the VGC metagame. I like to do these Mon by Mon, so I'll start at the top and go down. But first, I gotta say... Doubles is all about synergy, and I'm not seeing much of that here.

Serperior contrary
ev:124 defense
124 sp defense
252 speed
10 hp
+sp atk -atk
gastro acid (use on slaking)
leaf storm (contrary will boost sp attack)
light screen (most fire type moves are special attacks)
reflect (bug and flying moves are usually physical)
grass gem (to power up leaf storm before the sp atk increase)

this pokemon will eliminate slaking's truant making him that much more powerful, but, it also can damage quite a bit on its own, if it uses leaf storm, the grass gem will boost it a lot, then it will give it double sp atk because of its contrary ability

Leaf Storm + Contrary barely even works in Singles, and even with that Serperior's stuck in the depths of NU. What, may I ask, will this set do to Heatran and Volcarona? Both are pretty popular in VGC, and both eat this alive regardless of how many Contrary boosts you stack. Dual Screens to cover weaknesses, like you appear to be doing here, is also a bad idea. Dual Screens is a perfectly usable strategy, but not really on this set. Gastro Acid does not warrant use simply for Slaking any more than Guts + Facade warrants poisoning your own Pokemon. I still laugh at the Colosseum AI thinking that was a good strategy, but then again it worked a bit better in Gen 3. Yes, 670 (you put 570, slipped out a digit there) is a beastly stat total. But trust me, if taking a turn to give Volcarona a Quiver Dance isn't worth it, taking a turn to Gastro Slaking isn't either. If you're using Gastro Acid it should be to shut down opponents like Kingdra that rely on their abilities to be dangerous (Drizzle + Swift Swim is legal in VGC). Serperior works as a supporter, not as what you're using it for. If you REALLY wanna use it though, go for something more like this:

Serperior @ Mental Herb
Trait: Overgrow
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 244 Spe
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Brief explanation here: This set supports your team. Although really Cresselia's better at that, in my opinion. Reflect and Light Screen for your dual screens, Mental Herb to shrug off the first Taunt, Giga Drain keeps you healthy (and is the reason for Overgrow) and Protect... well, you could use Taunt or Glare here, but of the 3 Protect is my favorite option, as it's basically staple in Doubles. I strongly recommend changing this to something else though.

Slaking truant
ev: 252 sp defense
252 attack
6 defence
+atk -sp atk
slack off
return (STAB
ice punch (tpunch and ice punch are like bolt beam)
thunderpunch/or maybe gunk shot
ice gem ( why? salamence, dragonite and garchomp)

thanks to gastro acid, slaking will be incredibly OP with a legendary stat total (570) it is worth using a turn to do

Nearly anything is better than this. There are viable Mons that have beneficial abilities, do not take a turn to set up, do not rely on setting up and hit with perfectly-sufficient power. Scizor, for example.

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
- Protect

Bullet Punch gets priority, STAB and a Technician boost, which really hurts. There's a reason Scizor's dangerous, and that's a large part. Bug Bite also gets STAB and Technician and wrecks Psychic-types. Superpower's here for the Steels, and Protect is staple, more or less.

Blaziken speed boost
ev: 120 attack
120 sp attack
120 defense
120sp defense
30 speed
neutral
heat wave (STAB hits both foe pokemon)
hi jump kick (STAB 130 power)
thunderpunch (deals with water types)
protect (low defense will attract hits and speed boost will boost his speed by one)
wide lens (gives hi jump kick a 1% miss ratio)

this is a pretty solitary pokemon, it can use protect to boost its speed at the end of the turn and after that can outspeed most pokemon

Blaziken's perfectly usable in VGC, but NOT with this set or spread. The EVs are all over the place, which hurts more than it helps, and never use Hi Jump Kick in a metagame as full of Protect as this one is. And Wide Lens is another no-no. I'd recommend the following:

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Sky Uppercut
- Rock Slide
- Protect

You start with Protect for the Speed boost, then start attacking. Flare Blitz hits hard, has decent coverage and might burn anything that survives, which is nice. The recoil's not fun especially after LO recoil but Blaziken doesn't tend to stay around that long as it is. Sky Uppercut is a strong and safe option over HJK mainly because HJK will kill YOU against a smart opponent. Rock Slide wrecks opposing Fire and Flying-types (and Volcarona, especially Volcarona), hits both opponents simultaneously and has a handy little Flinch chance. Protect, staple, almost everything in VGC wants it, etc. etc.

Cresselia levitate
ev: 252 defense
252 sp defense
6 sp attack
+sp atk -atk
calm mind (powers up psychic and icy wind)
icy wind (slows both opponents down)
psychic (STAB)
focus blast (for dealing with dark and steel types)
leftovers (works well with her)

with OP defenses she can with withstand almost any attack
and after using calm mind a bit it will have an awesome attack power too

This set.... Wow. You are definitely new to the Doubles metagame. First off, always maximize HP before you invest in either Def stat, unless your HP hits a special number with what you have left to invest. Second, Cress is not an attacker. Cress is not an attacker. Cress is not an attacker. I don't care if it reaches +6 from Calm Minds, it shouldn't be running that in the first place. It's a GREAT supporter though. Seriously, this thing is so bulky I'm using it on my Uber Sand team. Walls the hell outta Groudon. Try:

Cresselia @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Icy Wind
- Psychic
- Helping Hand
- Rest

It's a supporter, plain and simple. Icy Wind slows 'em down, Psychic is for when you need to hit something, like if you get Taunted or something, Helping Hand helps your teammate (who's hopefully using a spread move) and Rest + Chesto Berry is a one-time full heal. Cress loves that, especially since it also clears status.

escavalier
ev:252 attack
129 defense
129 sp defense
+atk -sp attack
mega horn (his most powerful move)
iron head (STAB a chance of flinching)
swords dance (obvious reasons)
protect (stops fire type moves)
steel gem (powers up iron head)

i personally like this guy better than scizor even though he can't baton pass but whatever, escavalier has WAY better sp defense and also is resilent to almost all attacks and can switch with starmie for fire attacks

You don't quite seem to get EVs, since you have 6 useless ones on this set, which is enough to boost another stat. Every 4 EVs, stat goes up 1. Anyway, nah, Escavalier only outclasses Scizor under Trick Room, which you have nowhere. Baton Passing is meh in Doubles to begin with. And, uh, Swords Dance is a bad idea in Doubles. Especially since Escavalier's molasses and has no priority. You SD, before you get the chance to use it I KO Esca. Easy to do, especially if I have Fire handy. Since I've already suggested Scizor for the team, I'll suggest a Fire answer that does it better than anything here:

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice
- Protect

Protect is standard, yeah, been over that one 4 times already. Heat Wave hits both opponents hard and tends to KO both unless they resist coming from Heatran. Earth Power is for the Fire and Rock types that don't care about Heat Wave, and HP Ice hits Dragons that laugh at the other moves, especially things like Salamence and Dragonite. Shuca Berry helps with the Ground weakness. A side note: This loves Helping Hand for Heat Wave. Use alongside Cresselia for good results.

starmie
ev:252 defense
252 sp defense
6 sp attack
+sp atk -atk
rapid spin (clears entry hazards)
psychic (STAB normal effective against lanturn)
thunderbolt
ice beam
air balloon (prevents entry hazard damage for rapid spinning)

starmie is used for rapid spinning and a halance for my team's general fire weakness

Don't waste your time with a spinner in VGC. Hazards practically don't exist. You could really benefit from a Fighting-type (every VGC team can), so here's Terrakion (NOT TerraCott, that combo worked for a while but then people got wise to it and now when Whimsicott and Terrakion come out together odds are good Whimsicott dies before it can use Beat Up)

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Trait: Justified
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 4 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Attack
- Protect

By now you should get why Protect. So Close Combat and Rock Slide are a great STAB combination, nearly unresisted. One hits one target like a truck, the other hits 2 like a car. Quick Attack picks off weak opponents and the Sash is a wonderful thing in a nearly Hazard-less metagame. All there is to it really.

And if you read the rules sticky you shouldn't have to ask why your last post broke them...

Last edited:

Mowz

Eh.
Contrary Serperior has not been released yet, so you can't use it.

Also, is this team for VGC (bring-6-pick-4) or Smogon Doubles (6v6)?