• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My semi-competitive team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here goes:

Empoleon @ life orb
252 sp.atk, 120 spd, 136 atk
Torrent
Mild
Hydro pump
Ice beam
HP fire
Aqua jet

I chose empoleon mainly for it's typing. Steel gets lots of resistances, and water is the first part of my FWG core. Hydro pump hits like a truck, and aqua jet helps my team with it's lack of priority. Ice beam hits dragons and grasses. HP fire OHKOs Scizor, and is the main point of the set. The EVs outrun and Guarantee the KO on Scizor. Thanks to Blue Harvest for set, EVs, and nature suggestions.

Latias @ lefties
252 sp.atk and speed, 4 HP
Timid
Levitate
Calm mind
Thunderbolt
Psyshock
Dragon pulse

Calm mind latias. This thing sweeps so well, it's not even funny. I chose it for a nice sweeper that can take out skarm. One CM, and sweep. But because of it's decent typing, I find mself getting off 2-3 CMs regularly. Thunderbolt for coverage, hitting skarm and other steels neutrally. D-pulse and psyshock for STAB. I use dragon pulse over draco meteor because of draco meteor's stat drops.

Heatran @ air balloon
252 HP, 252 sp.def, 4 def
Calm
Flash fire
Stealth rock
Lava plume
Iron defense
Roar

This thing sets up rocks and phases. I chose it for a sun counter, and it works well at it's job. Earth power hits foe Heatran. This is the second poke of my FWG core. It works very well to complement Azumarrill, both offensively and defensively. It gives nice resistances and a select immunity to fire, which is nice for Virizion. If I didn't have this thing, the team would be super weak to dragon.

Virizion @ lefties
252 atk, 252 speed, 4 HP
Careful
Justified
Leaf blade
Swords dance
Sacred sword
Quick attack/reflect

Final part of my FWG core, and probably my favorite on the team. It just works so well. I chose it for a rain counter as well as a sweeper. It is my other setup sweeper. Set up one swords dance and boom, sweep. I figured sacred sword was better than CC for a more defensive set, thus, the nature. Quick attack helps because I often find myself wishing I had more priority on my team. Reflect works if I've got extra turns that I don't want to SD on for some reason. Very nice for switching into dark attacks aimed at Latias as well. Just love this poke.

Gliscor @ toxic orb
Impish
Poison heal
252 HP and atk, 4 spd
Roost
Protect
Substitute
Earthquake

Originally, I had defensive Scizor here. But after a couple of battles, it became clear that it was the weak link. So I decided on one of the best physical walls in the game: Gliscor. With toxic orb and poison heal, Gliscor can absorb status and heal at the same time. Protect is to let the orb kick in, as well as get some healing from poison heal. Roost heals you even more, while getting rid of that atrocious 4x weakness to ice. Substitute forms the infamous SubRoost combo, which is feared for obvious reasons. Earthquake is a nice, powerful STAB, as wll as an actual attack so that you are not taunt bait.

Blissey @ lefties
Calm
Natural cure
252 HP and sp.def, 4 sp.atk
Softboiled
Toxic
Thunder wave
Ice beam/seismic toss if possible

Dual status support Bliss. I chose her because I needed a special wall to compliment scizor. Ice beam so you're not taunt bait, softboiled for dem healz, and dual status to cripple stuff. I would like to note that it struggles with Reuniclus, as well as anything immune to toxic. That's why I wish I had access to emerald for seismic toss.

So yeah, that's pretty much it! Note: I don't play too competitively, mostly just with my friend (hence the title). But I still want my team as competitive as possible. Just without the minor nitpicks.
Edit: Sorry for no pics. Maybe someone could tell me how to do the animated 5th gen sprite things?
Edit 2: Mods, let me know if I don't have enough description on my pokes. I'll be happy to add more if need be.

Last edited:

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Seismic toss > ice beam on bliss, it's generally more useful but ice beam is good too.

Give azumarill adamant, it doesn't need to take hits, it's an attacker, a bulky one, not a wall.

I'm not even sure if this follows all the rules.

Good luck.

Thanks, I'll try that if I use a simulator. I put ice beam because I don't have access to emerald for seismic toss. And yeah, I hope I'm not breking any rules. Kinda new to the site lol
Edit: Some more description, just in case.

Last edited:

Atrocious

Choice Band > Muscle and Aqua Jet > Superpower or Ice Punh depending on what you want to hit. I'd recommend Superpower as Water + Normal has excellent coverage.

Protect or Earth Power > Iron defense on Heatran. EQs will still demolish it regardless of a boost and change the nature to Calm or Bold.

I think Wish pass Blissey would be better for this team.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Choice Band > Muscle and Aqua Jet > Superpower or Ice Punh depending on what you want to hit. I'd recommend Superpower as Water + Normal has excellent coverage.

Protect or Earth Power > Iron defense on Heatran. EQs will still demolish it regardless of a boost and change the nature to Calm or Bold.

I think Wish pass Blissey would be better for this team.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Alright, thank you. I will change Azumarrill and heatran. However, I'm not going to use wish pass Bliss because I don't have access.

Uhh... Well, to tell you the truth, I am pretty good with GTS negotiations, so I'll see what I can do. If I get it, I'll edit the OP. But only if I get it. Besides, my current Bliss works really well on this team, believe it or not.

Last edited:

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
If you need to get a specific Pokemon, join a clan and get it from their shop. They can give you Shiny, non-Shiny, flawless IVs, a specific Hidden Power type, anything legal really.

Try this Empoleon instead...

Empoleon (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 136 Atk / 252 SAtk / 120 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Hydro Pump
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Beam / Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Outruns Scizor and OHKOs it. Hydro Pump hits about as hard as Latios's Draco Meteor so it packs a punch. Aqua Jet is nice for finishing off a damaged Volcarona or Terrakion. Ice Beam takes down Dragons without much effort but Grass Knot also works to beat Jellicent and Gastrodon. Your set uses wasteful EVs and misses out on some important speed tiers. Drill Peck is also useless. Empoleon isn't too bad in OU if used well.

Atrocious

Is Aqua Jet even useful tbh? Seems like a waste of a moveslot and EVs as what BH mentioned it can take a weakened Terrakion and Volcorana but the team handles Terrakion pretty well with Gliscor, Latios, and Virizion being able to take it out and Volcorana gets walled by Heatran, at least the Roost variants do. So I really don't see the point of it.

Atrocious

Get that but devoting all those EVs and a nature that hinders your defenses for a move that won't hit hard outside of rain, IMO the gain doesn't outweigh the loss.

The point of Aqua Jet, besides checking Volcarona and Terrakion, is to pick off things that just barely survive your other moves. For example a Latios will always live through a LO Ice Beam, but an Aqua Jet in most cases will finish it off. The same goes for Jolteon, Metagross, Specially Defensive Heatran, and others.

Grass Knot is a usable move over Aqua Jet but it is mostly just good for Gyarados and Jellicent.

Status
Not open for further replies.