• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My Simple Sprites.

squirrel boy

A.K.A. myrandomness
yes i know there not as good as some of you people but whatever.

Totadile revamp:
totadile.jpg

By squirrelboy at 2009-05-15

Cyndaquil Revamp:
cyndaquil.jpg

Chikorita Revamp:
chikorita.png

Larvitar:
larv.png

By squirrelboy at 2009-05-16

Mesazux:
havingfun.png

Pikachu:
pikachudevamp.png

Kanto starters:
starters1.png

By squirrelboy at 2009-05-18

some more:
revampinprogress.png

By squirrelboy at 2009-05-19

Last edited:
Hmm, not bad, but not that good, either. Your revamps are more like..... recolours, then anything. A revamp takes a sprite from a previous gen, and ups the quality to the current generation. F'rinstance, that Chikorita? You got the recolour part down pat, but you didn't give it any shading. It needs shadows.

squirrel boy

A.K.A. myrandomness
oh. well thanks for the criticism at least its constructive ill try to make some better stuff.

Not bad at all, but need some definite work.As shiningsloth said, you have recoloring down, but you need to learn about reshading and outlines. Oh and golden rule of spriting- NEVER save as a JPG! Nobody likes icky JPG artifacts in their art, and it's a pain to see the sprite.

Going one by one, Totodile isn't bad. The outline is too light in alot of places but the shading is fine. I can't see enough of it because of the artifacts to say much more.

Cyndaquil isn't looking too perky though. Far too much black in the outline and not nearly enough shading. The fire is weak too, but thats mostly because of how it was originally. Stuff like that should mostly be redone by scratch or edited heavily. But hey, fire is pretty tough to get down in general, so not blaming you too much.

Chikorita is by far my favorite. There isn't alot of shading, but I somewhat prefer it will less shading rather than more. The leaf does look a little flat so maybe add some shine to it and fix up its black outline. The animation looks like it'd be pretty smooth too, so good job!

All in all, a pretty good start. Keep up the work and practice!

squirrel boy

A.K.A. myrandomness
thanks. and i could have sworn i saved the totadile and cyndaquil as bmt.

Arekku_Koro

Meh. Not the best, but larvitar looks pretty good. Cyndaquil is kindof bad... but if your only starting, than, well, you show promise.

squirrel boy

A.K.A. myrandomness
the Kanto starters and there evolutions

starters1.png

By squirrelboy at 2009-05-18

i messed charmander and its evolutions up badly and also blastoise a little.

squirrel boy

A.K.A. myrandomness
do any of u guys have advice on how to get a good system going to successfully revamp a pokemon?

Umm, well, you could start by doing some more with the outlines. You're doing better then last time I was here, but you still need to smooth out the rough spots. The official sprites have intricate, lustrously coloured outlines, while your sprites have mostly black outl;ines. Study the officials, then try again.

Yami Ryu

togetogekiss8186982165i.gif

This is an example of scratching/editing and shading.

mewvampsrt9.png

This is a Revamp example.

girafvamp.png
is another.
revampdevamp.png

MORE EXAMPLES. Now do you see what you're doing wrong? Just splashing color however you want or using the eraser trick, is NOT revamping. Especially saving as JPG like it appears you do half the time. Leaving old shading on or no shading, and trying to add different shading, isn't any better either.

Your sprites are, to be honest, crap. You spend no time or effort really trying to revamp them. You think quickly, and speedily, rushing thru things will get you praise. And all it does is show you really don't know how to do anything that won't make them look tacky.

Do ONE sprite at a time. FOCUS on ONE SPRITE. Take ONE old sprite. Take it's UPDATEd EXAMPLE put them together, and then this is the hard part.

Make the old sprite, look as updated as the new sprite. Coloring, outlining, shading, etc. Revamping is NOT just about slathering on new colors.

I suggest you look at the examples I posted- and then if you are still confused, head over to the Tutorial thread.

squirrel boy

A.K.A. myrandomness
togetogekiss8186982165i.gif

This is an example of scratching/editing and shading.

mewvampsrt9.png

This is a Revamp example.

girafvamp.png
is another.
revampdevamp.png

MORE EXAMPLES. Now do you see what you're doing wrong? Just splashing color however you want or using the eraser trick, is NOT revamping. Especially saving as JPG like it appears you do half the time. Leaving old shading on or no shading, and trying to add different shading, isn't any better either.

Your sprites are, to be honest, crap. You spend no time or effort really trying to revamp them. You think quickly, and speedily, rushing thru things will get you praise. And all it does is show you really don't know how to do anything that won't make them look tacky.

Do ONE sprite at a time. FOCUS on ONE SPRITE. Take ONE old sprite. Take it's UPDATEd EXAMPLE put them together, and then this is the hard part.

Make the old sprite, look as updated as the new sprite. Coloring, outlining, shading, etc. Revamping is NOT just about slathering on new colors.

I suggest you look at the examples I posted- and then if you are still confused, head over to the Tutorial thread.

geez, your the kind of person i need to motivate me, and thanks for being honest. but i only saved totodile and cyndaquil as jpeg

but really, thanks for the examples and i think i understand revamping a little more, which I'd probably be better at then just recouloring shittyly, becuase yes i know i rushed on just about everything but pikachu, bulbasaur, and ivysaur