• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My Special Team

I like all out attack, but I can't seem to get behind Hyper Offense because of the need for a dual screener. I've used them and they always leave me hanging in the end. I like every pokemon to be able to fight. But I still like the ideas behind HO, so I took the "single attack style" strategy and used it for 6 pokemon instead of five. What I ended up with was a team full of special sweepers that have done pretty good so far in my testing. But tell me what you think. Any suggestions are welcome.

Lead
385.png

Jirachi (Expert Belt)
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 HP
Moves: Psychic
Water Pulse
HP Fire
Grass Knot

Jirachi actually makes a great lead for this team. I ran into a lot of weather in my testing so I have adjusted his move set to compensate. HP Fire takes advantage of sunny weather and helps against other Steel types. Water Pulse takes advantage of rainy weather and has a 40% chance of confusing with Serene Grace. Grass Knot hits Tyranitar and Hippowdon hard as well as Politoed. Psychic is his STAB and wrecks most fighting types.

381.png

Latios (Leftovers)
Ability: Levitate
Moves: Dragon Pulse
Psyshock
HP Fire
Surf

This is a pretty basic Latios set. Dragon Pulse for STAB. HP Fire for Steels trying to resist me. Psyshock for a second STAB and to do a little physical damage one Chansey/Blissey. Surf for at least neutral damage on what resists the other moves.

448.png

Lucario (Shell Bell)
Ability: Inner Focus
Moves: Agility / Psychic
Shadow Ball
Aura Sphere
Dragon Pulse

Lucario really needs Agility to work properly but I dislike set up moves. Since he's Steel, he resists a lot and may have a chance to get one off. Shell Bell will help recover some lost health. Aura Sphere is for STAB and can't miss. Dragon Pulse is for Dragons. Shadow Ball is for Ghosts that want to come in on a fighting move and for Psychics.

392.png

Infernape (Wide Lens)
Ability: Blaze
Moves: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
Focus Blast
Grass Knot
HP Ground

I have liked Infernape since he was released. Flamethrower is my main Fire move but I may run Fire Blast since I get a slight accuracy boost with the Wide Lens. Focus Blast is my other STAB. Grass Knot is for bulky Waters, Grounds, and Rocks and HP Ground is for some extra coverage.

65.png

Alakazam (Life Orb)
Ability: Magic Guard
Moves: Psychic
Grass Knot
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball

Alakazam is the work horse of the team. Most of the time, this guy gets more kills than any of the others just because of his speed. I know a lot of people don't like Alakazam but I have found him to be extremely useful this gen so please don't tell me that he has to go because he's staying. Psychic is the obvious STAB. Shadow Ball hits Ghosts and other Psychics but also does signifigant damage to anyone that doesn't resist it. Focus Blast is for those pesky Dark types and the odd Steel type though most Steels I run into only take neutral damage from it (Jirachi, Metagross, Scizor, etc). Grass knot is a nice little addition to the set and it nets a lot of KOs against bulky waters especially when they think they are safe in the rain.

649.png

Genesect (Douse Drive)
Ability: Download
Moves: Techno Blast (Water)
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Bug Buzz

This is the first time I had used Genesect since he hasn't been released yet but he's actually pretty versitile. Download is about 50/50 when it comes to increasing my Special Attack but when it does, he gets on a roll. He has amazing coverage with the BoltBeam combo and Bug Buzz hits the Lati Twins hard. Techno Blast is to cover his Fire weakness a little as most Fire types don't expect me to stay in and then get hit for super effective damage.

Well there's the team. Let me know what you think and tell me how to make it better. Thank you!

Changes in BOLD.

Last edited:

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
Um, you only have 1 boosting sweeper. You need to have pretty much all set-up sweepers. Also, the point of a Dual Screener is to boost defenses needed to set up. Jirachi is awful on an HO team. It has nowhere near the stats and boosting capabilities to have a place. Alakazam must go, as does Kingdra. You should also get rid of Genesect, as it gets no significant boosting move. Also, why would you ever use an Absorb Bulb? You should get an NP Thundurus, put CM on Latios, get either an NP Ape or Lucario (or both), and get a Dual Screener. I recommend Deoxys-S.

Oh - Romeo

Romeo Romeo...
Latios should be running Life Orb instead of Lefties.

Sniper/Scope Lens is a cool gimmick but it's generally not recommended to put your faith into hax. Quite slow without the opponent running rain and not powerful enough to score many OHKO's, consider scrapping Kingdra for somebody like Shell Smash Omastar, or CM Keldeo.

Since you are not running a Duel Screen lead, you sacrifice the ability to Taunt hazard setters. This will DRASTICALLY damage the effectiveness of your team if Volcarona is too damaged to set up with Quiver Dance. Consider NP Infernape if you want a Fire type, whose Fighting typing helps to keep ST damage to a minimum. You have Gensect for Bug type STAB anyways.

I don't recommend using Jirachi as your lead but it's your personal opinion.

Also, I have to disagree with you on this occasion complete legitimacy, my friend. I use Alakazam on my team and he is totally underrated. He's often the star of the show for me :)

IF you would accept an acception, DD rest kindra would work as it boosts AND is powerful without having to rely on critical hit hax.

If you love Jirachi, keep it (cause im a beginner) but just because I love typlosion, I would totally suggest it as your lead...Eruption does massive damage under sunny day, and if it is rain, just switch to kindra and swift swim away!!!

This would be the (potential) set
Typlosion @ life orb
Rash
Standard sweeper EVs
-Eruption
-Overheat
-Earthquake
-Focus Blast

Does good damage, (to bad it does not set up hazards) =(

@complete legitimacy
This is not a HO team so its not going to use what a HO team needs. Alakazam is a beast and will stay.

@Oh, Romeo
I would run LO on Latios but the competition I'm trying to create teams for uses the item clause and I love the LO on Alakazam. And since I didn't want to choice item my Latios, Igave him leftovers, though I appreciate the suggestion. Kingdra is the pokemon I am most inclined to replace so I will look at Omastar and Keldeo. And I think you've convinced me to use Infernape over Volcarona. I'm not shooting for set up sweepers since I'm not running screens but I think I liked him so much that I tried to force him on the team. I've never run a special Infernape before but I'll check it out and like you said, Genesect has bug STAB. I am open to suggestions for a Jirachi replacement though I do like Jirachi. Most people expect him to be physical.

@Planet2Bob
I'll check out Typhlosion but I won't promise anything. I do like that move set, though with lower health Eruption does little damage.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll edit the first post when I change anything.

Mayu808

GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!!
Good gravy what is that?!?! Jirachi has got to have the weirdest set evar and I like it XD one thing though, genesect is a jerk ANSI would consider replacing him since one: he's not released, and two; he will probably be bumped to ubers IMO when he is realesed. But I could be wrong and you could just keep it. Last thing though, why an absorb bulb? Like, what the he'll does that do you?

@Mayu808
I thought I'd try something different with Jirachi. It works pretty good. The Absorb Bulb was just a trial item but it doesn't matter because Volcarona is out now. And as for Genesect, I'll keep him in there for now. He may be Uber later but until then, I'll use the heck out of him. Thanks for the look and reply.