• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

My Trip tothe End of Time, by Pearl Gideon

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
I... I haven't read this yet. YAY FOR NEW STUFF.

LEt's see, who's that Pokemon: Cave crawler-Sabelye? And the leathery thing Marley used, I haven't a clue, so I'm gonna say Aerodactyl. And I love that Marley is more than a shrug-off character who only servewd to double my chances of finding a wild Pokemon I wanted.

Ah, we've got to that point? Good! Now we're beginning to get to the meat of the story.

As for Marley, she's definitely recurring, so stick around to see more of her. In fact, I have quite a lot planned for her, but I can't reveal it now.

The leathery thing, as you will have worked out if you looked up Marley's team on Bulbapedia, is indeed an Aerodactyl; Pearl doesn't know, so it's never mentioned - but it isn't exactly a secret. And the other thing was a Drapion, which I'm fairly sure I mentioned in the chapter.

My compliments to you, on the usage of ghost and Ghost to make a clean and easily understood difference. Capitalization is such a simple but effective tool when properly used.

Yeah. I'm glad I worked out rules for capitalising Pokémon types back when I was writing The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World, because when it comes to having a story where regular ghosts and Ghost-types exist side by side, you need a way to distinguish them.

Can I just say, I absolutely love the bits of dialogue between Cyrus and the Desk Sitter.

After the ominous ending of the last chapter, making us think there was some ultra evil assasination attempt, he has a rock. Amazing.

Well, he hadn't actually expected to meet Pearl there. (It's quite unlikely, if you think about it.) He hadn't time to come up with a proper plan, so... yeah. A rock. Presumably a big one.

XD Can't wait to see who/what the Desk Sitter is. I love the name "Desk Sitter" as well.
I really like the way you've taken the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum storyline and messed it up into something totally awesome. I read The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying The Universe as well and I really like your writing style. Especially Puck. Puck is COOL.
Yeah, basically, I think your writing style is overall awesome, I'm running out of very positive adjectives and I can tell you I am really looking forward to reading more of this.

Ah, the Desk Sitter. Hopefully, their true identity should come as a surprise; if not, the means by which they're involved certainly ought to.

Messing up stories is what I do; I've done it for all the main-series games except Black and White now. Although my Gold/Silver one was sort of a failure; I plan to redo that at some point, probably before I do the Gen 5 one. It will involve boulders, teen angst and someone to make fun of both.

Anyway, I'm glad you like my writing style and that you like Puck; I think that pretty much all of us can agree that we like him. I hope you continue to enjoy my weird little stories.

F.A.B.

I have a theory for who/what the Desk Sitter is, but I won't say anything just yet.
I do get your point about Cyrus not having had time to come with an actual plan, but that doesn't make it less hilarious in my opinion. :)
A Gold/Silver rewrite involving boulders and teen angst sounds like a lot of fun as well. *imagines a lonely Gold spilling out his deepest, darkest thoughts to a boulder with Puck secretly recording everything*

DarknessInZero

<- Es mío! MÍO!
^ o_O Okay, I won't say anything. Also, I think that that would be Crystal.

Are you going to do it on HG/SS style? It would be (somewhat) better, so you have moar Pokémon.

Yay. Mt. Coronet and random stuff. Also, you're picturing Cyrus as a helluva lot weirder and crazier that I had. Oh, well.

What the hell are Puck and co. doing in Sinnoh? Are they going to reunite with Pearl and Ashley? Maybe when something makes boom. Yay for explosions.

So.... That confirms a point of one of my theories over Ashley. Yay for me. Yes, I do like to say Yay.

Enough for now. Now it is quarter to twelve in the night, and I'm sleepy.

G'night an' C ya.

DiZ out.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
I have a theory for who/what the Desk Sitter is, but I won't say anything just yet.
I do get your point about Cyrus not having had time to come with an actual plan, but that doesn't make it less hilarious in my opinion. :)
A Gold/Silver rewrite involving boulders and teen angst sounds like a lot of fun as well. *imagines a lonely Gold spilling out his deepest, darkest thoughts to a boulder with Puck secretly recording everything*

I actually expect people to guess who the Desk Sitter is; the real fun is what they're doing, why they're doing it and where they came from. And I'm not saying that Cyrus' bit with the rock isn't funny - it's meant to be. It's just that it also makes sense as well, in a weird sort of way.

And there's no Puck in my Johto story, I'm afraid. None at all, except through the magic of self-reference. There is an adequate replacement, though.

Are you going to do it on HG/SS style? It would be (somewhat) better, so you have moar Pokémon.

I never limit the Pokémon. If you remember, there was a Jellicent in Hoenn in The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World.

Yay. Mt. Coronet and random stuff. Also, you're picturing Cyrus as a helluva lot weirder and crazier that I had. Oh, well.

Everyone is weirder and crazier when it comes to my stories. Everyone.

What the hell are Puck and co. doing in Sinnoh? Are they going to reunite with Pearl and Ashley? Maybe when something makes boom. Yay for explosions.

Their paths do intersect, yes... but not yet. Not for a long, long time.

So.... That confirms a point of one of my theories over Ashley.

I guess we'll see how that turns out, won't we?

New chapter, coming up.

F.A.B.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Chapter Seventeen: In Which There is an Unexpected Reunion

'The Lost Tower. Historic burial place of deceased Pokémon, and good for an hour's visit. Spend much longer there, however, and you swiftly become somewhat depressed, if only because the place seems to attract mourners for some reason. There is absolutely nothing suspicious about it at all. Really, nothing. It's not like there was any sort of Ghostly accident there at all.'
— Miss Infa Maisun, The Government-Approved Guide to Sinnoh

Tristan was feeling good. He had what amounted to a free day – they didn't seem to be going anywhere – and he had three Kinder Eggs left in his private stash to consume over its course.

In short, today looked set to be fun.

“Heh,” he said to himself, holding his little plastic rabbit up to the light and turning it this way and that for a full examination. “Finally! Alone, in a nice hotel, in the city – and no Liza.” He leaned back in his chair, almost tipped it over backwards and hurriedly re-verticalised himself. This was not a word, but it did involve much humorous windmilling of arms, and drew the momentary attention of the two old ladies by the fire. However, after but a moment, they went back to their knitting, and were promptly forgotten.

This was not the only consequence of the re-verticalisation. It also made Tristan raise his head, and therefore see the two pale and spectral figures standing by the door.

“Oh, cal,” he breathed. It seemed like his prediction of fun for today was about to be proven very much wrong.

The tall figure in the black tailsuit darted forward, and Tristan attempted to jump backwards out of his way; unfortunately, he was still sitting down, and so he actually achieved nothing whatsoever. In a moment, the ghost was upon him, and Tristan watched in horror as he reached out towards him—

—and held out a calming hand, the index finger of his other hand pressed to his lips for quiet.

“Eh?” said Tristan. This was not, in his experience, how ghosts usually approached their victims. In his confusion, he forgot his fear, and the other ghost, that of the little girl, took advantage of this to join her compatriot. “Er – excuse me, but aren't you going to kill me?” he asked them.

This drew the attention of the old ladies again, who gave him a pair of questioning looks.

“Er, not you,” Tristan said, though as he had turned white as chalk and started to tremble, neither of the two ladies was inclined to believe him. “It's – it's just—”

He stopped abruptly, smiled nervously and then went back to looking terrified. The old ladies looked at each other, raised their eyebrows and returned to their knitting once more.

“What do you want?” Tristan hissed furiously – and the little girl suddenly leaned in close to him, which caused him to produce a curious strangled sort of noise and jerk upwards a couple of inches in his seat. She opened her mouth, and Tristan closed his eyes in preparation for having his soul sucked out...

When, a couple of seconds later, he failed to feel any sort of hideous agony, he opened one eye just a crack – and saw that all the little girl was doing was mouthing something. He frowned. Was she trying to talk?

“Are you – is this a ghostly curse?” Tristan asked cautiously.

The little girl and the tailsuit man looked at each other as two intelligent people will when confronted with a third person of staggering idiocy, and in the background, the old ladies gave Tristan another set of very strange looks. They were beginning to suspect that this young man might not be quite right in the head.

The two ghosts shook their heads, and mouthed some more. Tristan, summoning up some courage, stuck a finger into the tall one's chest.

“Good grief,” he murmured, eyes wide with horrified fascination. “You really are dead.”

This was more than the two old ladies were willing to put up with, and they left abruptly for saner pastures.

“Look, what do you want?” asked Tristan urgently, once they had gone. “I don't understand!” He felt in his pocket and found his wallet; pulling out a handful of notes, he thrust them at the spectres. “Here! I'll pay you, just – go away!”

The banknotes fluttered through the little girl's chest and down to the floor; she and her companion stared at them blankly for a moment, and then returned their gaze to his face.

“Please,” begged Tristan. “Life's not treating me well. I just want a day of rest...” He clapped one hand to his brow in a most melodramatic way, and slumped forward in his chair. “I've been led thither and yon, tugged back and forth and blamed for all sorts,” he went on, in the voice of one gripped by the blackest flavour of despair. “My driver's a joker, my partner's” – here he felt around in midair for the right word, and failed to find it there – “someone, and all in all this whole Galactic thing is more trouble than it's worth.”

The little girl tried to interrupt, but Tristan had got into his stride now, and it would have been difficult for her to stop him even if he'd been able to hear her.

“I thought it was going to be so much more than this,” he went on. “My cousin was in the evil Team business, and I remembered him saying at the Feast of Seymour last year that it was the best career choice he'd ever made. And when I lost my job this summer, it seemed the obvious choice, you know? So I was going to apply to Team Magma, where my cousin worked, but that got destroyed when all that Zero business happened – and I don't speak Kantan, so I couldn't go with the Rockets. And then I heard about Team Galactic, and I thought...” Tristan gave a woeful sort of shrug, and let out a sigh so mighty it almost blew the child-ghost's midriff away. “But it isn't any good,” he said, as if imparting a great secret. “I should have tried to find another job as an accordion-maker. Ah, those were the days!” All at once, Tristan perked up, and his face cracked into the soft, sad smile of fond reminiscence. “One day, I remember, I saw this novice who'd got all the buttons wrong – I had to put them back into the Stradella bass system for him!”

He laughed a little, and the ghosts once again exchanged glances. If they weren't very much mistaken, it was going to be even harder to get through to this man than they had thought – for he was, it seemed, an idiot.

---

Thankfully, I reached the suburbs of Hearthome a few minutes before sunset, saving me from another night in the wilderness; I asked a passerby, got directions to the closest station and took a train to the city centre, where I was once again surrounded by the comforting skyscrapers that came with advanced civilisation.

That was only half the battle, though – I was still pretty filthy, and I desperately needed a change of clothes and some food into the bargain. I wandered around, looking for a hotel, and was suddenly accosted by Ashley.

“Hello, Pearl.”

“What?”

I almost jumped into the traffic in my surprise; as far as I was aware, he hadn't been there a moment ago and there didn't seem to be anywhere he could have been hiding.

“Ashley?” I said, trying to regain my senses. “What the – where did you come from?”

“I was looking for a hotel, and so, it seems, are you.” He sighed. “You aren't going to stay at home, are you?”

“Uh... no,” I replied, still attempting to pull my mind back together. “What – have you been spying on me?”

“Not personally, no,” he answered. “I can't answer for the League, though; they have secrets to protect and you're uncomfortably close to finding them out.”

“Secrets like...?”

“Me,” he said pleasantly. “Come on. I know a hotel that will suit you.”

And with that, he started off down the street. I stared after him for a moment, and then ran to catch up.

“Wait!” I cried. “Aren't – what's with you? I thought you said you wouldn't be helping me!”

“I said that you would be in danger if you kept investigating on your own,” Ashley said. “And then you said you would keep on investigating anyway, and so I contacted Stephanie, who told me you'd be getting a Trainer to take you through the mountain. That was a clever idea, by the way; I should have thought of that myself. Anyway, I went through the mountain and got here an hour ago, to wait and see if you came – and you did, despite being led here by Marley and attacked by a Cave Drapion.” He paused. “If that wasn't an indication that it really wasn't possible to dissuade you, then I don't know what would be. I didn't want you to come – but if I can't stop you, I can at least protect you.”

I gaped.

“This... that was all a test?”

Ashley shrugged.

“I'm quite clever,” he said in an offhand manner. “It wasn't too difficult to set up.”

Something else clicked in my head then: he'd mentioned Marley by name.

“Do you know Marley?” I asked him.

He nodded.

“Very well,” he replied. “She doesn't know me, though.”

“What?”

“Haven't I made it clear yet?” said Ashley. “I stand to face severe punishment by the League if I tell you anything about myself – and believe me, they will find out. You have to find it all out yourself.” He lowered his voice. “Though I will say that Stephanie hasn't quite finished her little investigation of me; you might get some more information from her. Get a new phone before you call her, though – yours is being tapped.”

“What? Isn't this illegal?”

“Yes, and your father's acquisition of Sebastiano del Piombo's The Raising of Lazarus was illegal as well,” Ashley told me. “Hasn't being rich taught you anything? Money transcends the law.”

The conversation was going in an uncomfortable direction – I didn't particularly like to dwell upon the slightly unsavoury side of my dad's business – and I tried to steer it back to the reason for my quest to go East-side.

“Did your friends in Veilstone find anything out?” I asked.

“I don't really have friends,” he admitted. “They're acquaintances. And they've told me that they can't find any trace of the Galactics except a warehouse in the industrial district that's always guarded by those space-suited goons of theirs. They could get a warrant to search the premises, but I don't want to attract unnecessary attention.”

Ashley's contacts could get a search warrant? They must be pretty important, I thought; then again, was it surprising that they were? After all, if Ashley really had been around for a hundred years – something I still wasn't entirely sure I believed – then he was bound to have built up a fairly impressive list of contacts, and even more people who owed him favours.

“Here,” he announced, stopping. I looked up, and approved: this was the Khartoum Hotel, which had nothing to do with Khartoum and everything to do with the last word in Hearthome luxury. Tall, elegant and within easy walking distance of every single one of the city's major attractions – the Contest Hall, the cathedral, the shopping district and the club scene – a night at the Khartoum cost about the same as a new car. I'd stayed here before, but never when I was paying, and I cast a sidelong look at Ashley.

“You've already booked rooms here, haven't you?”

“Yes.”

“And I'm going to pay for them, aren't I?”

“Yes.”

I sighed.

“How long are you staying here?”

“Just tonight. I've only booked one room, as it happens, and that's yours. I don't sleep much any more.”

I filed that away under 'curious information about Ashley' and asked:

“What about Iago?”

“The Khartoum management doesn't allow Kadabra,” he said in disgust. “Illegal, and worse, immoral, but there's nothing I can do about it in such a short period of time.”

“Where's he staying?”

He shrugged.

“He'll find somewhere. Come on, you look exhausted.”

This was weirdly considerate for someone who habitually thrust me into awful situations, and I followed gladly.

The Khartoum was every bit as fantastic as I remembered, and even more so after a couple of days in a cave network; I showered, ordered a colossal meal from room service and promptly fell asleep. I was far less fit than Marley, and the walk had tired me more than anything I'd done for about four years.

I would probably have slept right through to about noon if Ashley hadn't reappeared at nine o'clock and poked me into wakefulness. How he'd gained access to my room I had no idea; it must have been a detective thing, or possibly an Ashley thing.

“Uhhhh,” I groaned, with considerably less coherence than either he or I would have liked. “What the hell?”

“Wake up, Pearl,” said Ashley. “We need to go; there's no time to waste – the nice people at the Gym reminded me of my duties, and now we have to make a stop on the way to Veilstone.”

“What?”

“Just get up,” he sighed. “I've bought you new clothes already – they're on the chair. I'll be waiting in the lobby and if you don't come down by half past I'll send in Iago with the knife.”

The door slammed, and I sat up, blinking sleep out of my eyes.

“What's so urgent?” I wondered, and then, as my mind caught up with Ashley's words: “Wait – he got me clothes?”

I did need them, but I didn't exactly trust Ashley's sense of style. I couldn't imagine him ever having had a girlfriend, or indeed any sort of personal relationship, and had a horrible sinking feeling concerning what he might have bought. Throwing aside the covers, I leaped out of bed as fast as possible, and half-ran, half-fell over to the chair, dreading what might await me—

“Oh,” I said, staring. “That's... that's fine, then.”

It seemed Ashley had good taste – or, to be more precise, an uncanny knowledge of what I liked. I couldn't have chosen anything more me even if I'd gone shopping myself; besides, he'd probably bought it all in half an hour, while it would've taken me at least three hours.

I showered again (I still felt filthy; that had been one grimy cavern) and dressed, noting as I did so that Ashley apparently knew my sizes slightly better than I did. That took me until half nine, and when I opened the door, it was to the unsettling sight of a Kadabra with a knife.

“Whoa,” I said, staring at Iago. “He was serious.”

“Of course he is,” he replied. “He doesn't have a sense of humour.”

I thought for a moment, decided Iago was wrong, and then decided not to tell him, as he still had the knife.

“Right,” I said. “Shall we go, then?”

We did, and found Ashley tapping his foot impatiently in the lobby.

“Finally!” he cried. “Pay them and let's go, Pearl, there's a car waiting outside.”

“A car?” I asked, approaching the reception desk.

“Yes,” he said, as I handed my credit card over to the receptionist. “Since Fantina isn't here, it's my job to keep the mist in check.”

“The mist?”

The machine beeped, and the receptionist gave me back my card, which almost felt lighter with all the money that had left its account. He smiled and thanked me, and I started walking out with Ashley and Iago.

“Yes, the mist,” Ashley confirmed. “At the Lost Tower.”

We went outside and, sure enough, there was a car; it was low and black and looked rather fast. Ashley opened the door for me, and Iago pushed past to get in first; I think he wanted the seat on the left for some reason. I got in after him, and Ashley went around to the front.

“You're pushing it, Ashley,” said the driver, a plump woman with yellow sunglasses, which were very weird but looked surprisingly good on her. “I've been waiting half an hour—”

“Then stop complaining and drive,” he told her. “Go on, go! I want to get this over with as much as you do.”

“Fine, fine,” muttered the driver, starting the engine and pulling away. “I didn't know you had a girlfriend,” she added, jerking her thumb at me.

“I don't,” replied Ashley. “She's a girl, yes, but not a friend; merely a colleague.” He turned around in his seat.

“What's she doing here? We don't need her—”

“She's working in Veilstone with us,” Iago cut in, “and the Lost Tower is on our way. Now shut up and drive.”

Ah. Yeah, I'd forgotten how rude he was. I was beginning to suspect that he wasn't that much like a regular Kadabra; he seemed suspiciously human – real Kadabra, I think, don't use the pronoun 'I'.

The driver said nothing, though the silence that now surrounded her was definitely of the offended sort.

“Where was I?” mused Ashley, apparently failing to pick up on this. “Oh yes, the mist. Pearl, this is a state secret, so I'm going to have to ask you nicely not to repeat anything I say now. Will you do that?”

“What happens if I do?”

“I visit you in the middle of the night,” answered Iago, “and you don't wake up in the morning.”

“O-K,” I said slowly. “In that case, I think I might be able to agree.”

“Excellent,” said Ashley brightly. “In 1982, there was an unprecedented disaster over the Lost Tower, when a migratory flock of Drifloon and Drifblim hit a violent thunderstorm just above it; 95% of them – that's about six thousand – burst in the lightning. Now, do you know how a Drifloon works, Pearl?”

I weighed up the pros and cons of pretending that I did, and decided on balance that I'd better confess that I didn't.

“No,” I admitted.

“There's a surprise,” said Iago, but Ashley silenced him with a look.

“Like most Ghosts, they're composed of living gas,” he said. “In their case, this gas is contained with a balloon-like structure made of keratin. However, this is very fragile, and if a large hole is torn in it the Drifloon can't grow it back fast enough to retain its gas. In this case, six thousand of them lost their gas, and, because that gas is exceedingly soluble, ended up carried down to the ground in the rain of the storm.

“Over the next few weeks, a grey mist was observed rising from the ground all around the Lost Tower. After a while, the area was so thickly covered that it was impossible to see three inches in front of your nose, and a short while after that it started consuming those people who entered it.

“It turned out that it was the gas from the Drifloon flock. It had merged to form one gigantic entity, composed of about thirty cubic metres of Ghost, and it was expanding with every person it devoured; if it kept growing at the rate it was, it would have consumed Hearthome within a month, which would have given it enough power to swallow every living thing in Sinnoh. Something had to be done.

“At the time, there was an Elite Four member who specialised in the Ghost type, Wesley Samuels, and he came down to get it back under control. He couldn't catch it – with that many minds, it found it very easy to resist capture in a ball – but he managed to get it trapped in the basement. Every so often, though, bits of it seep out, and in recent years that's been Fantina's job to sort out, since she's the only Ghost user in the League these days and is conveniently nearby.” Ashley sighed. “However, she's visiting her homeland at the moment, and Cynthia's too busy to come here in person, so the Gym's called me up and ordered me to do it, as someone who 'can probably sort it out'. Right now.” He indicated the driver. “This is Catherine – she works at the Gym.”

I stared at him for a long moment.

“Sorry,” I said, feeling somewhat confused. “That isn't a joke, is it?”

Ashley looked puzzled.

“Why would it be?”

“Er... no reason.” I shook my head. “Wow. How does that get hidden so well?”

“Sinnoh as a region is very prone to Pokémon-based disasters,” Ashley said. “There are minor ones every few days, three major ones every year and an apocalyptic one every decade. The government does its best to keep them hidden, or the country would be in a state of permanent panic; that's why the Sinnish League has so much more funding than its equivalent in other countries.”

“Isn't that sort of immoral?” I asked, feeling faintly uneasy.

“Not really,” Ashley replied. “The alternative is people complaining all the time, and that really would be annoying. To be honest, I thought you'd be more surprised about the Driftenburg.”

I stared at him again.

“You cannot be serious,” I said at length.

“No, I am,” he said. “Wesley had a rather odd sense of humour, and he named the spectral phenomenon the Driftenburg. It's quite clever, when you think about it – crashed dirigibles and all that.”

“Is this your life?” I asked him, slightly in awe. “Is this what you really do?”

He smiled.

“No, I'm just a detective,” he replied. “But since... for a long time, I've been obliged to do what the League wants, when the League wants. Hence this regrettable break in the investigation.”

We were now passing the city limits and heading onto the motorway, and all at once the car sped up; I supposed the Gym wanted the Driftenburg problem sorted out as soon as possible.

“Ashley, I have to tell you to stop talking now,” said Catherine. “You can't tell her any more than that, even if she is working with you.”

“That's all I was going to say,” Ashley told her soothingly. “I was just telling her about the Driftenburg. Speaking of which, how far had it got before you called me?”

“It had leaked out onto the ground floor. I hate to think how far it's got now.”

“You had the place evacuated?”

“Yeah, but it's probably overtaken the whole tower—!”

“No one is hurt,” Ashley interrupted. “That's the most important thing. Besides, it doesn't matter how far it's got. It's always been scared of me.”

A giant, man-eating Ghost, scared of Ashley? I knew there was something weird about him – whatever had transpired in the Galactic building in Eterna proved that. But what could possibly be up with him that he could strike terror into a monster like that?

“Might be the sort of thing that I don't want to find out,” I muttered to myself, and the car tore on towards the Tower.

---

Liza Radley, sitting at her table with a cup of coffee, spread the remaining five identity cards out in front of her. She had already discounted Sophia Wright and Lucy Gardner – but Riley Carter, Samantha Wilson, Jane Smith, Alex Knowles and Berenice Anders all had yet to be investigated. The problem was, she had to find each house first, and none of the remaining ones were in Jubilife.

“Sinnoh was the last place,” she muttered. “I must be close now.” She drank some of the coffee, made a face and set it aside; apparently, she didn't like coffee. That was odd – surely she must have tried coffee at some point since the desert? Or perhaps not, she realised; she had been very busy, and she couldn't remember now what she'd eaten yesterday, let alone six months ago.

All at once, Liza felt that old force pressing at the corner of her mind again, demanding to be let in; she focused hard, and something crystallised behind her eyes: a sunset over an old tower, and she was with a hundred other people, facing something huge and twisted that bore down upon them like the wrath of God—

Then the moment passed, and Liza sighed. Why could she never remember the whole thing? Everything occurred in fractions, bits and pieces of history bursting out of the box in her skull in fits and bursts. But whenever one fragment slotted into place, it revealed a hundred more holes; when she remembered one thing, she forgot a dozen others.

“There's something there,” she said aloud. “But what it is, I just can't see...”

“Do you want more coffee?” asked the waiter, abruptly interrupting her ruminations.

“What? Oh, no. Actually, can I have some tea instead?”

“Sure,” said the waiter. “I'll bring it right over.”

Liza smiled at him until he'd turned around, then let her face relax into a scowl again. Something was rotten here, and the key was in one of the five cards laid out before her. And if Cyrus' plan progressed at the planned speed, she only had two weeks left to find it.

Last edited:
Huzzah! new chapter!

Since it refers to itself as "we" all the time, and you showed us what a Mismagius is capable of doing if it's bored in TTMGTDTU, I think it's a Spiritomb.

This isn't going to be a proper review, but I will highlight mistakes if I spot any. Which is pretty unlikely.

There is absolutely nothing suspicious about it at all. Really, nothing. It's not like there was any sort of Ghostly accident there at all.'

Goven what you've told us about the Sinnish government in the past, this actually doesn't surprise me.

Tristan was feeling good. He had what amounted to a free day – they didn't seem to be going anywhere – and he had three Kinder Eggs left in his private stash to consume over its course.

Only three? Those toys must take up a lot of his time, I thought he would need more than that. They are rather yummy.

He leaned back in his chair, almost tipped it over backwards and hurriedly re-verticalised himself. This was not a word

It should be. I am now going to use that word as much as possible.

“But it isn't any good,” he said, as if imparting a great secret. “I should have tried to find another job as an accordion-maker. Ah, those were the days!”

I can see Tristan as an accordion maker. He just doesn't seem cut out to be a Grunt. Will his ability to fix accordions play any part in the story? I would LOL so much if it did. Not that I don't LOL already.

That took me until half nine, and when I opened the door, it was to the unsettling sight of a Kadabra with a knife.

“Whoa,” I said, staring at Iago. “He was serious.”

“Of course he is,” he replied. “He doesn't have a sense of humour.”

I thought for a moment, decided Iago was wrong, and then decided not to tell him, as he still had the knife.

I think both of them are right here.

I would pick out some more points, but it's ridiculously late, so if I have some time tomorrow I will extend on this. Another awesome chapter, in my opinion. I especially love the little quotes you put at the beginning of the chapters - curse my friends for not understanding the one about the Staraptor...(well, not really, but you know what I mean)

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
Huzzah! new chapter!

Since it refers to itself as "we" all the time, and you showed us what a Mismagius is capable of doing if it's bored in TTMGTDTU, I think it's a Spiritomb.

I have this nagging suspicion that
Ashley's some legendary, possibly that Liza is too and is seeing the Spear Pillar, and that the Desk Sitter is an incarnation of the Unown prodding the universe along in ome intended direction
but I like you're theory much better.

Miss Infa Maisun
Puh-dump bum!

The tall figure in the black tailsuit darted forward, and Tristan attempted to jump backwards out of his way; unfortunately, he was still sitting down, and so he actually achieved nothing whatsoever.
You know, my wild imagination wants to see Tristian push down on the chair, vaultin g stright up, ossibly wracking his knees on the table, and over the back of the seat, before succombing to gravity.

The little girl tried to interrupt, but Tristan had got into his stride now, and it would have been difficult for her to stop him even if he'd been able to hear her.
Poor Ellen, Even in death stupidity willl haunt you.

I want to know what Tristan will do if he finishes his monologue and finds two ghosts playing with his Kinder Egg toys, broken chocolate all over the table. Or more probably, Ellen playing and her butler dutifully assisting her if she asked for a playmate.

---

Thankfully, I reached the suburbs of Hearthome a few minutes before sunset, saving me from another night in the wilderness; I asked a passerby, got directions to the closest station and took a train to the city centre, where I was once again surrounded by the comforting skyscrapers that came with advanced civilisation.
Slight nitpick, but you're usually so good at not doing this, but Tristan's monologue ends with I, and then you use a short linebreak before changing PoV to Pearl. It was a little rough, not having a transition there.

Something else clicked in my head then: he'd mentioned Marley by name.
Ashley, Liza, and Arceus! The world's going to end! Pearl's *gasp* making actual connections!

I showered again (I still felt filthy; that had been one grimy cavern)
I've been getting drilled that parentheseseseses are best not used in fan fiction, although it desn't bother me much here.

and when I opened the door, it was to the unsettling sight of a Kadabra with a knife.
Saw. that. coming. From a MILE away... Still funny.

“In 1982, there was an unprecedented disaster over the Lost Tower, when a migratory flock of Drifloon and Drifblim hit a violent thunderstorm just above it; 95% of them – that's about six thousand – burst in the lightning. Now, do you know how a Drifloon works, Pearl?”
This is another one of those things I find it hard to believe Mother Nature/Mew/Arceus hasn't corrected already, as lightning is not a new thing...

You know, I find it funny and probably more than ironic: I had finished Scott Westerfield's Leviathan not too longh ago) and now so many stories I read in the Pokemon lore revolve around some of the scenie fiction ieas he used, which probably stem from a long line of works predating me, but I go with what I'm familiar. Such as Hydrogen or otherwise gas-filled creatures. (Could that be how Rayquaza survuves on just water vapor?)

“It turned out that it was the gas from the Drifloon flock. It had merged to form one gigantic entity, composed of about thirty cubic metres of Ghost
What's it with you and metrically large amounts of ghosts, anyway? jellicent, now this,

which would have given it enough power to swallow every living thing in Sinnoh. Something had to be done.
Wait, so you're telling me that Zero wasted all that time bringing two ancient gods back to life from the stone age, and all he had to do was let his cousin out of the closet? I don't know, this just seems a bit over-the-top instant evil for such a realistic world. Also, Drifloon and to a much lesser extent Drifblim were largely harmless creatures.

and he named the spectral phenomenon the Driftenburg
Now I want to go and evolve my Drifblim. I'm picturing some Spriter crossing a Wailord and a Drifblim or Loon

I hate to think how far it's gotten now.”

Besides, it doesn't matter how far it's gotten.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Huzzah! new chapter!

There are always Ghosts. Always, always Ghosts. I'm afraid I can't stop myself. Notice how I neither confirm nor deny anything.

Goven what you've told us about the Sinnish government in the past, this actually doesn't surprise me.

Oh yeah. Sinnoh as a nation is pretty big on censorship - but the public don't know. It's not a very nice system, but the only alternative is almost constant panic, and that would get annoying after a while.

Only three? Those toys must take up a lot of his time, I thought he would need more than that. They are rather yummy.

Tell me about it. I've eaten seven in about an hour and a half before, much to my chagrin. I can only assume that Tristan has superhuman powers of self-control.

It should be. I am now going to use that word as much as possible.

I think Liza invents another new word in chapter twenty-two, so if you like that sort of think you won't be disappointed. You could even look forward to it, if you were so inclined.

I can see Tristan as an accordion maker. He just doesn't seem cut out to be a Grunt. Will his ability to fix accordions play any part in the story? I would LOL so much if it did. Not that I don't LOL already.

It kind of does, actually. There's something he's good at doing because he used to be an accordion-maker, and that plays a role in chapter twenty-two. Man, it's all happening there, ain't it?

I have this nagging suspicion that
Ashley's some legendary, possibly that Liza is too and is seeing the Spear Pillar, and that the Desk Sitter is an incarnation of the Unown prodding the universe along in ome intended direction
but I like you're theory much better.

Ooh, conflicting theories. Who is right? Or is no one right? Find out... in about twenty chapters' time!

Poor Ellen, Even in death stupidity willl haunt you.

I'm not sure she's stupid. It's just that she died at a really inconvenient age - and you have to remember how she died. Go back and check the little quote at the beginning of the chapter about Wickham Manor, and you'll see what I mean.

Slight nitpick, but you're usually so good at not doing this, but Tristan's monologue ends with I, and then you use a short linebreak before changing PoV to Pearl. It was a little rough, not having a transition there.

Not entirely sure what you mean. I've read it over again and again, and, while I picked up on several other mistakes that I corrected, I haven't found the transition too jarring at all. Would you mind expanding on that?

Ashley, Liza, and Arceus! The world's going to end! Pearl's *gasp* making actual connections!

She's not stupid, as I keep saying. She just needs practice.

I've been getting drilled that parentheseseseses are best not used in fan fiction, although it desn't bother me much here.

There's no reason why they're intrinsically worth less in fanfiction than in original fiction; parentheses are often a valuable construct (especially when you're writing in the first person). For instance, I have half a chapter of the beginning of a future project worked out, and the protagonist keeps interrupting herself with parenthetical comments. In that case, it's more an experiment on my part to try and communicate something about her state of mind, but you get the point. There's no reason to ban them outright - although, of course, they can get misused with frightening ease.

Saw. that. coming. From a MILE away... Still funny.

It's what you call a telegraphed gag. They almost rely on being expected; they work off dramatic irony. You see it coming, the character doesn't, and bam!, there's a knife in their face.

This is another one of those things I find it hard to believe Mother Nature/Mew/Arceus hasn't corrected already, as lightning is not a new thing...

I know. I can't see how Drifloon and Drifblim aren't extinct already. I mean, they're balloons.

You know, I find it funny and probably more than ironic: I had finished Scott Westerfield's Leviathan not too longh ago) and now so many stories I read in the Pokemon lore revolve around some of the scenie fiction ieas he used, which probably stem from a long line of works predating me, but I go with what I'm familiar. Such as Hydrogen or otherwise gas-filled creatures. (Could that be how Rayquaza survuves on just water vapor?)

I reckon Rayquaza only eats every couple of hundred million years, when life on the moon has recovered and is getting along nicely. Then it goes up there, eats it all and comes back to leave the moon people to cry over their devoured children.

What's it with you and metrically large amounts of ghosts, anyway? jellicent, now this,

Wait, so you're telling me that Zero wasted all that time bringing two ancient gods back to life from the stone age, and all he had to do was let his cousin out of the closet? I don't know, this just seems a bit over-the-top instant evil for such a realistic world. Also, Drifloon and to a much lesser extent Drifblim were largely harmless creatures.

Now I want to go and evolve my Drifblim. I'm picturing some Spriter crossing a Wailord and a Drifblim or Loon

I've had the idea of the Driftenburg since halfway through The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World; it only really worked with the Lost Tower, so I put it aside and settled for a Jellicent instead. Now I finally get to come back to it, and that's why the two ideas are so similar.

The reason Zero knew nothing of the Driftenburg is... well, because Sinnoh is very, very good at keeping its secrets. No one except people who are too fond of tinfoil hats for anyone to believe them really knows anything about what the League has hidden there; this isn't Hoenn we're talking about. Ashley said that Sinnoh is prone to apocalyptic disasters, and he was right - though of course, he is exaggerating a little when he says it would swallow the whole region, probably as some sort of an ironic prod at Pearl, or a test of her gullibility.

As for why it's so aggressive... what makes you think Drifloon and Drifblim are peaceful? Read their Pokédex entries: they're failed child-snatchers. They try and eat children, but children hold onto their strings and use them as balloons. This makes them fairly malevolent, in my view; when released from their trammelling casing, I assumed they'd merge and multiply to form a greater evil.

And it is over-the-top, yes. But then again, the whole world is. You only have to think about the version of the Pokémon world I've created to realise how many ways there are for most of the population of a country to die that take less than a day. While this probably wasn't the best handling of the subject that I could have done, it's more or less consistent with the rest of the universe of the story.

And also... well. Come on. How could I not include the Driftenburg once I'd thought it up?

F.A.B.

Last edited:

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
I'm not sure she's stupid. It's just that she died at a really inconvenient age - and you have to remember how she died. Go back and check the little quote at the beginning of the chapter about Wickham Manor, and you'll see what I mean.
I meant Tristan when I referred to stupidity. Poor girl expected to Rest in Peace, and instead she gets to listen to his bumbling because Fate commanded it.

Not entirely sure what you mean. I've read it over again and again, and, while I picked up on several other mistakes that I corrected, I haven't found the transition too jarring at all. Would you mind expanding on that?
As I said, it's a minor one, but to me, after reading that monologue of Tristan's we take a line break and the next sentence is again told by "I". You know who it's coming from, you've had them in your head for weeks on end, and it's not long before I figure out "I" is referring to Pearl, but for such a long time of see I and Me, this reader at leastwas still trying to figure out where the shift was to one of your other three plot threads, or if Tristan had finally run out of things to say.

Too many Is, not enough referring Nouns. I'm used to your, how was it put in Guide by one of the reviwers: Narrator sitting on the fourth wall directing us to each part of the story. But hey, if you fixed other things, than my work here is done!

As for why it's so aggressive... what makes you think Drifloon and Drifblim are peaceful? Read their Pokédex entries: they're failed child-snatchers
No, I actuslly knew that, have been planning a skit with a Drifloon for some time, involving it casually trying to sneak off withone of my main chars while she's talking to someone, and after itnurrupting her a few times, she ends up grabbing it by its strings, bopping it around on the ground, and then after a few moments, remebers that shes a trainer, looks at the confused and nearly beaten Drifloon still in her hand, puts two and two together (getting a reasonable 3.99 recurring) and catches the thing.

I was going more along the lines of them being failed child snatchers. It's almost comically funny how a balloon thinks it's going to flow away with a kid. (Although I could definately see them imoitating a blaoon, then getting the kid to unknowingly chase after their escaping balloon, get lost, and then Whoop! Right through to the Ghost World!)

I'd expectect something like a Driftenburg to try and fly away with a schoolbus, not eat someone. That would make too much sense.

There's something he's good at doing because he used to be an accordion-maker, and that plays a role in chapter twenty-two.

YAY!

Find out... in about twenty chapters' time!

...>.<...>.<...

I believe that I am very much inclined to look forward to Chapter 22. However, that applies to more or less the whole of this fic, so I will wait for the next chapter and pray that I do not need re-verticalisation at any point in the waiting. :)

Azurus

The Ancient Absol
Long time reader 1st time poster here. Enjoyed TTMGTDTU and am enjoying this as well. Nothing I say can accurately express how awesome this and the other story were since I'm really bad at describing things. But keep up the good work, you give me something to look forward to when I'm bored at work (which is all the time)

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
I meant Tristan when I referred to stupidity. Poor girl expected to Rest in Peace, and instead she gets to listen to his bumbling because Fate commanded it.

Actually, because I commanded it. To these people, I'm like a god. And the Cutlerine thy God is a crazy God.

As I said, it's a minor one, but to me, after reading that monologue of Tristan's we take a line break and the next sentence is again told by "I". You know who it's coming from, you've had them in your head for weeks on end, and it's not long before I figure out "I" is referring to Pearl, but for such a long time of see I and Me, this reader at leastwas still trying to figure out where the shift was to one of your other three plot threads, or if Tristan had finally run out of things to say.

Ah, OK. That I can alter.

No, I actuslly knew that, have been planning a skit with a Drifloon for some time, involving it casually trying to sneak off withone of my main chars while she's talking to someone, and after itnurrupting her a few times, she ends up grabbing it by its strings, bopping it around on the ground, and then after a few moments, remebers that shes a trainer, looks at the confused and nearly beaten Drifloon still in her hand, puts two and two together (getting a reasonable 3.99 recurring) and catches the thing.

I was going more along the lines of them being failed child snatchers. It's almost comically funny how a balloon thinks it's going to flow away with a kid. (Although I could definately see them imoitating a blaoon, then getting the kid to unknowingly chase after their escaping balloon, get lost, and then Whoop! Right through to the Ghost World!)

I'd expectect something like a Driftenburg to try and fly away with a schoolbus, not eat someone. That would make too much sense.

The Driftenburg doesn't really fly anymore. It just skips straight to the eating. I assume that as its size altered, so too did its behavioural patterns; it would probably drift apart under the pressure of the wind if it tried to fly away.

The more you think about it, the less sense it makes; I advise simply looking at it and thinking: there's the work of a crazy guy.

YAY!

...>.<...>.<...

I believe that I am very much inclined to look forward to Chapter 22. However, that applies to more or less the whole of this fic, so I will wait for the next chapter and pray that I do not need re-verticalisation at any point in the waiting. :)

If you ever go to sleep, you will need re-verticalisation. Unless of course you sleep standing up or sitting down, in which case you're either undead, very old, or very tired.

Long time reader 1st time poster here. Enjoyed TTMGTDTU and am enjoying this as well. Nothing I say can accurately express how awesome this and the other story were since I'm really bad at describing things. But keep up the good work, you give me something to look forward to when I'm bored at work (which is all the time)

Why, thank you. I hope I continue to brighten your days.

F.A.B.

Your point about re-verticalisation is very good. I meant unnecessary re-verticalisation, such as falling off a chair in a manner similar to Tristan. Thanks for pointing that out.
Caan't wait for the next chapter! :)

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Chapter Eighteen: In Which Pearl Has a Close Encounter of the Spectral Kind

'I met a most singular man to-day, a detective who works under the name of the Diamond. I believe he learned his trade from Mr. Sherlock Holmes, the renowned consulting detective. However, none of this is half so peculiar as what he has shown himself to be capable of today. It took five of the Gym Leaders and two Elite Four members to suppress him, and he was brought to me so firmly imprisoned that his bonds could have held back an army of demons. Within five minutes, he was loose again, and in the end we had to take exceedingly drastic measures to secure him, the likes of which would doubtless have killed any other man. Whatever he is, I am quite certain that this man cannot be human, and though I fear what he might do, I am eager for him to calm down, that I might question him and find out precisely what he is and from where he came.'
— Allegra Fairfax, private diaries​

We were about half an hour out of Hearthome when Iago threw up.

It was very abrupt: he wound down the window, stuck his head out and vomited an impressively large stream of greenish fluid in a line down the road.

“Jesus—!” I jerked away from him reflexively, hunching up against the window. “Iago? Are you all right?”

“It's the Driftenburg,” replied Ashley distantly. “He can feel it.”

Iago flopped back into his seat and wiped sick from his moustaches.

“Christ,” he moaned. “Every damn time...”

“What? What's happening?” I asked. Things were rapidly getting very confusing, and quite foul-smelling with it.

“He's a Psychic type,” said Catherine. “They're weak to the Ghost type – and they can sense them when they're nearby, too.”

“However,” continued Ashley, “such is the strength of the Driftenburg that he can not only sense it from miles off but is also seriously disturbed by it.”

“Disturbed doesn't sodding cover it,” groaned Iago. “Aauugh... Stop the car!”

“No,” replied Catherine. “We've delayed enough already.”

“I'll die—!”

“No, you won't,” interrupted Ashley calmly. “Not unless you walk right into the mist. You just feel sick.”

Iago howled wildly and clutched at his temples; I regarded him uneasily.

“Er, maybe we ought to stop—”

“No,” said Catherine. “The Driftenburg's probably filled half the tower by now. When it leaks out even a little bit, it breaks the doors right open with the pressure and rushes out.”

Iago fumbled in the depths of his tail, and drew out an odd joint and a lighter; the way he was shaking, it was a miracle he managed to bring them together, but he did, and stuck the lit cigarette between his teeth.

“Hey, you can't smoke in here,” began Catherine, but Ashley waved her into silence.

“It'll calm him down,” he said. “Which should make for a quieter journey.”

Cal!” screeched Iago, thumping as hard as he could on the seat and not even making a dent. “My head's going to explode!”

I wondered whether I could edge any further away from him, and decided in the end that I couldn't; I'd run out of room.

“Inhale,” Ashley advised. “Get those toxic fumes inside you.”

“Sod off,” growled Iago. “Can't – why doesn't this hurt you?” He leaned forwards as far as he could, thrusting his muzzle into Ashley's ear, and shrieked: “Why doesn't it hurt you? I know it should, it should burn your sodding brains out, but—”

“I'm human, Iago,” answered Ashley patiently. “Whatever happens to me, I'm still human. That's why it doesn't hurt.”

“I hate you,” snarled the Kadabra, and, flinging himself back into his seat, took a furious drag on his joint. “I hate you, even if you do smell like jealousy...”

“That'll be the odd kicking in,” said Ashley, wrinkling his nose in distaste. “One of the few times the vile stuff has its uses.”

I shook my head. This was getting seriously surreal.

Within a minute or two, the car was almost entirely full of sweet smoke, and Catherine and I wound down our respective windows to avoid getting stoned ourselves. Ashley didn't seem to mind too much; he appeared to have retreated into that strange trance state I'd seen him in on the bus.

“Pearl,” whispered Iago into my ear, sounding vaguely scared, “I don't want to alarm you, but I think I'm dead. Do you think I'm right?”

“I think I preferred it when you were just in pain,” I sighed.

“Your hair is really blue,” he said frankly, picking up a lock and staring at it, open-mouthed. “Did you know that?”

“Yes. Yes I did.”

At that point, another spasm of pain gripped him, and he curled up into a ball on his seat, whimpering about the ceiling coming down to crush him. I wondered if this meant we were close, and looked out of the window to see a side road signposted 'Lost Tower 4 miles', and Catherine bringing the car onto it. We were getting close, and looking ahead, I thought I could make out a dark shape further down the road. My breath caught in my throat; was this the Driftenburg...?

When we got closer, it turned out just to be a stopped car, but that in itself was cause for worry, because there was no one in it.

“Damn it!” Catherine slammed her foot down on the brakes, and turned to scowl at Ashley. “See what you've done with your delays? We've probably lost someone already!”

Ashley frowned.

“There's something wrong here,” he said. “The Driftenburg doesn't retreat after killing someone, it keeps on spreading – which means that whoever this car belongs to stopped it of their own accord and went ahead on foot.”

“But it's in the middle of the road,” I pointed out. “Who'd leave their car there?”

“Ashley's right,” said Catherine slowly. “If you were being eaten while you were driving, what would you do? You'd brake reflexively, or try and drive away – either way, the car would probably crash.”

“Or at the very least, it would come to a halt at some angle other than perfectly parallel with the road,” Ashley added. “Quite right, Catherine. Let's take that to the logical next step, shall we? Pearl, it's your turn to answer a question: why would someone stop their car and get out?”

“Uh... they wouldn't run away from the Driftenburg, because they'd get away faster if they drove, so... they were going towards it?”

“That's right,” replied Ashley. “Which can only mean one thing.” He opened his door and got out. “Someone's interfering with the Driftenburg.”

Cal!” cried Catherine, thumping the steering wheel. “This is turning into a total disaster.” She took off her sunglasses and rubbed her eyes furiously, then got out and slammed her door shut. “Pearl!” she snapped, turning around. “Stay here and keep an eye on Iago. We'll be back soon.”

I looked at Iago, who looked back, smiled slyly and told me that he was in agony beyond all human comprehension.

“Can't I come with you?” I asked.

“We can't leave him on his own,” Ashley replied. “He's stoned and sick from the Ghosts. Don't worry, we'll be back soon.”

With that, he turned and walked away down the road. Catherine at least gave me another look, even if it was hidden behind her sunglasses, and then followed him.

“God,” said Iago, leaning back and staring upwards. “Pain is really something, you know? It's just so – so painful, yeah?”

“Yeah,” I agreed. “It is, isn't it?”

In a couple of minutes, Ashley and Catherine were out of sight, and I turned to speak to Iago again.

“Back in a minute,” I said, opening the door. “I'm going out.”

“If you see a fishmonger's, can you buy me some crabs? I really want some crabs.” Iago licked his fangs. “Actually, make that langoustines. No, prawns. No – well, something with a shell that lives in the sea, all right?”

“Shellfish? Uh, got it,” I replied as I got out. “If I see some, I'll get it for you.”

“Thanks, Pearl. You're the – well, not the best, but you're pretty good.” Then he started screaming again, so I shut the door on him and walked off in the direction the others had taken. Maybe Ashley had forgotten, but I hadn't: I still had things to find out about him, and following him on his secret League business seemed a pretty good way to find out.

---

“Bond, what are we going to do now?” asked Ellen. “He can't hear us, and I'm afraid I think he might be—”

“An idiot, madam?”

“Well, yes, Bond. An idiot.”

They were sitting on the sofa on the other side of the lounge; they had swiftly grown tired of listening to Tristan's ramblings, and had wandered off to think of a new plan. After a while, he had noticed that they had disappeared and, thinking that they had dematerialised or some such ghostly thing, he had got up and left.

Now they were alone, and neither of the ghosts of Wickham Manor really knew what they should do next.

“Perhaps we ought to ask that Duskull, madam,” suggested Bond. “He might have an idea.”

“He might,” agreed Ellen, “but he said he never wanted to see us again when we got here – that was why he left.”

“Ah,” said Bond, thinking that if only he had the ability to talk to Ghosts and not Ellen, he might have managed to get something done. “Did he perhaps leave his address, madam?”

“No.”

“Any means of contact at all?”

“Well, we could always ask Mans to talk to him again,” said Ellen, “but I rather think that Pigzie Doodle wouldn't answer.” She looked thoughtful for a moment. “It was probably because we didn't know anything. He didn't seem to like that – which I thought was very unreasonable of him,” she added petulantly.

“Indeed, madam,” replied Bond, though he knew exactly how the Duskull must feel. “In that case, might I suggest we do a little research?” He tapped Ellen's books, which he had been carrying with him all this time and of which he was thoroughly sick.

“Research?”

“Yes, madam. Research – into ghosts.”

“Whatever do you mean, Bond?” asked Ellen, puzzled.

“There are a great many stories that mention ghosts moving things around or possessing people to speak through them,” he explained. “If we can see if there is any truth behind these, and how we might perform them—”

“—then we might be able to talk to Tristan!” exclaimed Ellen excitedly. “Bond, how clever!”

“I try,” replied the servant with estimable modesty. “Besides, what sort of butler would I be if I could not even come up with such a simple plan as that?”

And so saying, he stood up and conducted Ellen out of the hotel and off in search of a public library.

---

I could see the fog from here.

Ashley and Catherine had been fairly easy to follow; they hadn't got too far before I'd seen them, and I'd kept pace fifty metres behind them without them noticing. I had stuck to the edge of the road, where the trees grew close to the barrier rail, and in their shadow I was reasonably well hidden.

“Do you need any help?” asked Catherine. “Should I get my Misdreavus?”

“I don't think so,” replied Ashley, staring into the mist. It was dense and grey, and seemed almost a tangible object; it resembled nothing so much a twenty-foot concrete wall. “All right,” he said, addressing the fog. “Go back now, or I'll have to make you go back, and you won't like that.”

The surface of the fog suddenly began to boil; I started, and a strong wind whipped up out of nowhere, blasting outwards from the wall of mist. My hair was instantly ruined and I held it in place as best I could while still trying to concentrate on what Ashley was doing. All at once, a series of images and sounds flickered through my head: screams, thunder, a blue door, grass rippling in the wind, a man passing through a gate, half an orange, an eerie whistle...

“Stop complaining,” said Ashley dispassionately, and the mental slideshow ceased abruptly. “Now get back in the cellar, or I'll start torturing you.”

The Driftenburg boiled more furiously than ever, its surface rippling and twisting as if two monsters were fighting just beneath it, but it obeyed: slowly, it began to withdraw through the silent forest, shrinking back foot by foot across the leaf litter.

“That's better,” said Ashley. “Now—”

Suddenly, the Driftenburg lunged forwards, punching forwards in one powerful tendril towards Ashley's head—

—only to stop dead a few inches before it, as if it had hit an invisible wall. I couldn't see Ashley's face, but I would have bet anything that right then his eyes were burning yellow.

“I told you to go back,” he said, and the same awful transformation had come over his voice as had in the Galactic building: deeper, harsher, and accented in a way that indicated he didn't properly know how his own mouth worked.

Catherine swore and backed away from him, hand on the Poké Ball at her belt; obviously, she knew what this was, and feared it.

“Ashley!” she cried. “Calm down!”

“I am perfectly calm,” replied Ashley, still not looking at her. In front of him, the Driftenburg quivered, little waves of it trying to pull away and retreat – but it was locked in place, incapable of moving. I stared in horrified fascination; what the hell was going on? What was Ashley doing, and how? “I just think this foolish creature needs to learn the error of its ways.”

What happened next was indescribable; there wasn't actually much to see. The wall of fog began to shake, its outlines blurring as every molecule of it tried to pull away from Ashley and was drawn back by some irresistible power. That was all that I could see – but it wasn't even the half of it.

The Driftenburg screamed, and everyone in East Sinnoh must have heard it: it tore through my head like a bullet, shedding images of blood and pain at random. I saw a howling fox, its leg caught in a trap; a screeching monkey in the grip of a Braviary; a child with a round red hole where its face should have been, lying on a barren clifftop...

I must have screamed myself. I don't remember, but it seems impossible that I didn't. My mind was on fire, memories and thoughts burning in an all-consuming heat; I dimly recall falling over without even trying to stop myself, and landing hard enough on my face to draw blood, as I later found out.

Ashley!” shrieked Catherine. “Stop! I order you to stop!”

“Why?” he asked, and his voice seemed to issue from every point in space at once, a fearsome cacophony of misaligned syllables. “It must learn.”

“For one, you're killing your assistant!”

“Pearl?” Ashley sounded very far away. “She is... exceptionally bad at spying.” He sighed, and his breath whirled about the forest like a tornado. “I shall stop,” he said reluctantly, and all at once the Driftenburg's screams died away, down to a low moan. “Will you go back now?” he asked, and I sensed the big Ghost leave – very, very quickly.

It was about then that I came properly to my senses, and sat up. My face felt wet and tasted salty; I touched it, and saw blood and tears on my fingertips.

“Oh God,” I whispered, drawing in a deep, shuddering breath. “Oh God.”
A shadow fell over me, and I looked up to see Ashley standing there, holding out a hand and looking very normal.

“Pearl,” he said softly, “this really wasn't a very good idea on your part.”

I felt tears gathering at the corners of my eyes again; I blinked furiously, trying to get rid of them, but there was no stopping them and they ran freely down my cheeks.

“Oh,” said Ashley. “No, don't cry. You're just in a mild state of psionic shock. It'll fade in a moment.” He took my hand and pulled me up; instinctively, I leaned into his chest, burying my face in his shoulder. “Ah,” he said, sounding vaguely uncomfortable. “Um – I haven't done this in a while. Er, there there.”

He patted my shoulder uncertainly, and gently peeled me off him. I sniffed deeply, pulled myself together and wiped my eyes.

“Sorry,” I managed to say. “It was – well, sorry.”

“Yes, weaker minds than mine find it hard to take the Driftenburg's voice,” he said thoughtfully. “I suppose I should have considered that, but when I... do that, I tend to get a little carried away.” He paused, perhaps thinking of some time when he'd got too carried away. “It usually ends badly.”

“You don't say.” I pulled away from him, and felt my nose, satisfying myself it wasn't broken. Then, this necessity over with, I looked Ashley square in the eyes – the normal, grey eyes. “Ashley, what are you?”

“I'm a detective,” he replied. “Isn't that enough for any one man?”

“Stop being cryptic, Ashley,” said Catherine, coming over with a certain weariness in her step. “That's one of the reasons people hate you so much.”

He raised his eyebrows and turned away.

“Very well,” he said. “Go back to the car; I need to go to the Tower and check that the Driftenburg is doing as it's told.”

With that, he stalked off to the Lost Tower. I think Catherine might have offended him. After all, wasn't it a detective's prerogative to be cryptic?

---

“Pearl!” cried Iago. “What the hell did you think you were doing, leaving a stoned, ghostsick Kadabra on his own in a car? I could have died!”

“I'm happy to see you too,” I said, dropping back to my seat and sighing. “How are you still conscious? I'd have thought your skull would've exploded when the Driftenburg screamed.”

He looked puzzled.

“It screamed? I didn't hear anything.”

“Well, it was sort of in your head—”

Iago threw up his hands in exasperation.

“That's it, then. Obviously I wouldn't have heard it – I have no psychic powers, not even enough to hear something like that.”

“But I heard it, and I'm not psychic,” I pointed out.

“Hum. OK, I'll give you that,” Iago said grudgingly. “Fine, I guess I was just too stoned to notice – which is sort of what I was aiming for, so that's really not such a bad thing.”

A moment later, Catherine got back into the driver's seat.

“Damn,” she said. “Iago, how d'you stand that guy?”

“Ah. He released?”

“Not fully. But even so... he's terrifying.”

“Yeah, I know.” Iago shook his head. “Have you seen the photographs of Darkling Town?”

“No...?”

“Don't. You'll have nightmares.”

Darkling Town? What was this? I made a mental note to get Stephanie to look that up for me. From the sound of it, it was some place where Ashley had 'released', as Cynthia had put it, on an epic and very scary scale.

Just then, Ashley arrived.

“It's sealed,” he said. “The wax holding the Cleanse Tags in place had broken; I melted it and stuck everything back down.”

“That thing's held in by wax?” I asked. “Isn't that basically asking for trouble?”

“Cleanse Tags don't work if not held by wax,” replied Ashley, as if it were something that everyone should know. “No one knows why.”

“There seem to be a lot of things like that in this country,” I muttered.

“So you fixed it all?” asked Catherine.

“Yes.”

“Good,” she said. “What about that car? Did you pick anything up with your detective skills?”

“A member of a known criminal syndicate,” replied Ashley smoothly. “There were signs of interference at the cellar doors; I would hand the whole case over to your people, but I happen to have a vested interest in this group, so I'll deal with it myself. As long as you have no objections,” he added.

“No, that's just one less thing for me to do. Where can I drop you off?”

“Since you've come this far, do you think you could see your way to dropping us in Solaceon?” asked Iago. “We're going to Veilstone.”

“Fine,” said Catherine. “If it'll get rid of you, it's fine by me.”

And with those less than encouraging words, she put the car into reverse, turned around and drove off back to the motorway.

---

“Have you found anything, madam?” Bond looked around. “Madam?”

It seemed that Ellen was not where he had left her.

“Madam, are you in here?” he asked.

A pale hand rose up over the back of the sofa and gripped it hard; a moment later, the top half of a face joined it.

“Bond,” said Ellen, eyes wide, “I think ghost stories have moved on significantly since I last read any.”

“Is that so, madam?”

Ellen stood up slowly, vaulted over the sofa and went to stand by Bond, all just a little too quickly for it to be convincingly nonchalant.

“I think children nowadays might be a little more, um, jaded than they were in 1939,” she said, as calmly as possible. “I... thought I needed a break.” She smiled up at him weakly. “Did you find anything?”

“There are lots of reports of ghosts being able to possess people, madam,” Bond said, deciding to humour her. “However, there seems to be very little academic literature that takes the possibility of the existence of ghosts seriously, and I couldn't find anything that would tell us how to use any spectral powers we might possess.”

Ellen chewed her lip.

“I suppose we have no choice,” she sighed. “We need to plan this properly – and talk to Mans to see if he knows anyone who might help us.”

“Such as Pigzie Doodle?”

“I'm not sure we'll be seeing him again, Bond,” said Ellen stiffly. “No, we'll have to see if Mans knows anyone else.”

“It would be much faster to ask Pigzie—”

“He never wants to see us again,” Ellen told him. “I think we offended him by existing for too long in the same area as him.”

Bond nodded deeply, to better give the impression that he understood.

“Ah. Of course. I should have known.”

“Well, I wish you'd told me earlier, Bond. Then I might have been able to stop him getting so cross with us.”

“I think, madam, that you would have tried to console Pigzie Doodle, only to find him... inconsolable.”

“Perhaps you're right,” said Ellen. Then: “Now can we leave? I don't like being in the same room as... these books.”

Bond hid a smile – it would hardly be proper for a butler to laugh at his employer – and, taking her by the hand, led her out.

“That's better,” said Ellen, as soon as they were outside the library. “Would you get hold of a motor-car now, please?”

Bond's inner smile disappeared in an instant. Of course. He had to arrange transport.

“Right away, madam,” he said, through gritted teeth. “If you would just care to wait here, I will return momentarily.”

A lesser man might have muttered angry nothings under his breath as he glided away. Bond, needless to say, did not.

Ellen watched him until he turned a corner, and then turned to look at the traffic – only to see a rather familiar shape hovering before her.

Well, well, well, said Pigzie Doodle, trying and failing to cross the stubby protuberances that passed for his arms. Look who's come crawling back.

---

If there is one person who is liable to be overlooked in this chronicle, it is Stephanie Sinistral, loving daughter, excellent student and annoyingly right best friend to Pearl Gideon. We must not forget, however, that it was she and not Pearl who was making the most headway with the investigations, being the one with ready access to a computer and no criminal organisation breathing down her neck.

And so we will take a brief moment to see what she was doing as Pigzie Doodle met with Ellen, as Liza languished in a coffee-house, and as Pearl was driven to Solaceon.

Having some free time, a curious mind and a helpful disposition, Stephanie was seated in front of her computer with a mug of hot chocolate (it was cold that day in Jubilife) and wide eyes. Where Ashley Lacrimére was concerned, the Internet had some very interesting stories to tell.

“In 1891,” she read aloud, “Lacrimére returned to Sinnoh after travels abroad, first alighting on Newmoon Island, at the now-forgotten port of Darkling Town. What happened next is nothing less than the stuff of legend...”

Osha Say What?

I have a theory on Ashley:

I think Ashley is either part Darkrai, or is somehow able to channel Darkrai.

Evidence:
-He returns to Sinnoh in Darkling Town, on New Moon Island, the home of Darkrai.
-The Driftenburg is scared of Ashley, because Ashley if he really does have some connection with Darkrai, as a Dark type can seriously harm Ghosts.

Possible Evidence
-Does Darkrai even need any sleep in the first place, what him inhabiting nightmares and all that.

Evidence Against
-Iago. If he really is a Dark type, why give him a handler who is weak against him?
-Eye color. When he is ready to "release" his eye's turn yellow. Darkrai, it at least looks like, has blue eyes.

Well, that's my theory. You can tell me if you think I'm totally off base here.

Knightfall

Blazing Wordsmith
Time: so much of it, and yet so little of it can be put to good use.

As is the current situation. I have been very busy these past few weeks and in that time I have missed several wonderful chapters.

They were a pleasent mix of adventure, fear, Ashley being well... Ashley, and thus causing more fear, some mildly irritated ghosts, Iago, conspiracy theories, cave monsters, rocks, more theories, yet another huge mass of ghost that can possess a large piece of land, and more Ashley terrifyingness.

Rest assured that I AM still reading this and cannot wait until my schedule calms down and I can post my reviews again.

As always, great work.

Until time allows,

Knightfall signing off with this mega short review...;005;

Ememew

Emerald Mew
Just one question. How does Iago sense the Driftenburg when he lacks Psychic powers? Is the Driftenburg so potent that just being a Psychic-type is enough to be affected by its presence even without powers?

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
I have a theory on Ashley:

I think Ashley is either part Darkrai, or is somehow able to channel Darkrai.

Evidence:
-He returns to Sinnoh in Darkling Town, on New Moon Island, the home of Darkrai.
-The Driftenburg is scared of Ashley, because Ashley if he really does have some connection with Darkrai, as a Dark type can seriously harm Ghosts.

Possible Evidence
-Does Darkrai even need any sleep in the first place, what him inhabiting nightmares and all that.

Evidence Against
-Iago. If he really is a Dark type, why give him a handler who is weak against him?
-Eye color. When he is ready to "release" his eye's turn yellow. Darkrai, it at least looks like, has blue eyes.

Well, that's my theory. You can tell me if you think I'm totally off base here.

Whyever would I tell you? It's much more fun all round if everyone keeps guessing. The more theories that get raised, the higher the chance that someone will stumble onto the right one eventually. Maybe someone already has. I'll never tell.

Time: so much of it, and yet so little of it can be put to good use.

As is the current situation. I have been very busy these past few weeks and in that time I have missed several wonderful chapters.

They were a pleasent mix of adventure, fear, Ashley being well... Ashley, and thus causing more fear, some mildly irritated ghosts, Iago, conspiracy theories, cave monsters, rocks, more theories, yet another huge mass of ghost that can possess a large piece of land, and more Ashley terrifyingness.

Rest assured that I AM still reading this and cannot wait until my schedule calms down and I can post my reviews again.

The Driftenburg doesn't possess a piece of land. It's just a vaguely sentient fog that eats people. Completely normal, of course.

Anyway, it's good to see you're still reading. I hope you continue to enjoy the story.

Just one question. How does Iago sense the Driftenburg when he lacks Psychic powers? Is the Driftenburg so potent that just being a Psychic-type is enough to be affected by its presence even without powers?

Yes, this is something that occurred to me when I was writing it. I presume that there's something about the very nature of Ghosts that attacks Psychics; it exudes some sort of aura of Ghostliness that would affect all Psychics in the surrounding area. Sort of like how if you raise the temperature drastically all the nearby plants will die. That's probably the worst metaphor I've come up with in a long time, but you get the picture.

Anyway. Looks like it's about time for me to scrounge up a new chapter. You can expect it later today.

F.A.B.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Chapter Nineteen: In Which There is Pseudo-Science and Philosophy

'Technically, those wanting to visit a Kadabra reserve need a permit, but in practice, the Kadabra let in those who they want to see and no one cares. The ability to read minds gives Kadabra an incredible ability to slice through bureaucracy; if ever one becomes President, the country will probably be four hundred times as efficient. Unfortunately, we'd probably also get a thought police who can actually read your thoughts, which would be utterly terrifying.'
— Simon 'Si' Onix, Si's Guide to Psychic Politics

“But I didn't come crawling back,” pointed out Ellen, puzzled. “You just appeared.”

Pigzie Doodle did something that resembled a barrel roll, which was presumably his way of indicating irrelevance.

You were about to, he said. I just cut out the middle man.

“Are all Ghosts as confusing as you?”

No. Most of them just hate you. There is a certain select group of us, however, founded by a Dusclops in the nineteenth century, who hate you with style. Pigzie Doodle paused. I am a member of that group.

Ellen wondered if she was meant to be impressed, decided that she was and widened her eyes, which seemed to please him.

Finally, I get through to you, he crowed. Excellent. Now, first things first, I need to tell you that I'm not helping you out of compassion.

“I was wondering why you were.”

No, it isn't compassion. He rolled his eye back and forth in a pensive sort of way. I'm even older than you, Ellen Dennel, and Sinnoh is just the latest stop in my grand tour of the world. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Battleships on fire off the Cape of Good Hope. I watched London burn in the dark, near the Tanhauser Gate. None of those moments will ever be lost in time; they're locked behind this skull, unfading. I will never die. Do you understand how insignificant you and your problems are in comparison?

Ellen did not.

“I do.”

Lying minx. Anyway, the point of my inverted Rutger Hauer homage was to ram home the fact that I am eternal, and despite being a ghost, you are transitory. One day, whatever ties you to this earth will dissolve and you will leave. I will remain. When the world turns to dust, I will be here; when the sun explodes, I'll ride the shockwave to new planets. Do you understand?

If anything, Ellen understood even less.

“I do,” she said again.

You are such a bad liar. The point is... it would be rather magnanimous of me, wouldn't it? To help you, when I could just as easily drift away and leave you to your own helpless devices. But... Pigzie Doodle attempted a shrug. If I were to help... then there might be a place in history for me.

“What? Why would there be a place in history for you?” Ellen was really confused now. What on earth was he talking about?

Do you know what will happen if you contact Tristan Shandy and tell him who Liza Radley is?

“No...”

She will remember, replied Pigzie Doodle simply. She will remember everything. And there will be one almighty fight about it.

Ellen started.

“You mean to say...?”

Exactly, he replied. She lost her memory. I've been keeping an eye on her since she showed up, to tell the truth; I felt her presence right away and wanted to see whether it was time to flee Sinnoh. It seems she doesn't remember much from before last year.

“Then she doesn't—”

Remember killing you all, no. I read about that in the papers, actually. It seemed commendable, cleansing a nice spooky manor of humans – until I realised she'd killed most of the Ghosts as well.

“Do you mind? That was my family!” A mixture of anger and sorrow rose in Ellen's chest, to be swiftly joined by excitement: she hadn't felt so much about her family for many years.

I refuse to apologise on principle. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes: Liza Radley. The point is, if you tell people about her, it will be the final unmasking. People these days are a lot more knowledgeable about her kind than in the olden days. If Liza is revealed for what she really is, then either the people she works for or the Pokémon League – or both, I suppose – will destroy her. And therefore, if I am a part of that process... Pigzie Doodle trailed off.

“You are written into the history books as someone who helped to destroy... whatever she is,” finished Ellen, finally understanding. “I see, I see.”

Yes, replied the Duskull smugly. And that's why I'm helping you. Not for you, not for Sinnoh – but for a place in history, something I can look back on in four hundred years time and boast about to whatever Johnny-come-lately Ghosts are around then.

“Very well,” said Ellen. “We would gratefully accept your help, Pig— Ishmael.”

Well remembered. Now, you want to contact Tristan Shandy, yes?

“That's so, but if we are aiming to defeat her, don't we need to tell someone more important?”

Hey, let's start small, eh? Firstly, my dead little child, there's no way for you to talk to the living.

No way to talk to the living? That couldn't be! There had to be something they could do...

“Can't I write him a note or something?” she asked.

You can try, but something will always stop you, said Pigzie Doodle. The pen will break, the paper will be blown away, the ink will run out... It is a law of the universe that no communication may occur between the living and the dead, and so the universe itself will stop you.

“But we have to tell him!” cried Ellen. “That woman he's with—” She broke off. “Can't you tell him?”

I suppose I could, admitted Pigzie Doodle. But see, there's a little problem with being a Ghost: humans never believe you. They mistrust you on sight, especially Ghosts who feed off them like Duskull. It's the same reason that Wurmple never trust a Starly; they know better than to trust their predator. So, unless you can produce a Ghost that humans respect and love who is willing to work with a cruel and vicious emotivore like myself, we can't use that method to contact them.

“But we really have to find some way—!”

I know, I know, sighed Pigzie Doodle. You feel you have to warn him before he comes to any harm. He paused again. And I can tell you how to do it.

“You can?”

Yes, I can. He sounded very pleased with himself. It's a lovely old-fashioned rule, rooted in ancient magic, or possibly ancient science. It's often difficult to tell them apart if you look at the olden days. Arthur C. Clarke said something similar and yet totally different.

“How?” asked Ellen. “How can we break a law of the universe?”

Where the universe is weak, so are its laws, replied Pigzie Doodle. There is one place in Sinnoh where the fabric of space and time has worn thin from repeated abuse; there, the laws of nature are... more like guidelines.

“There is? Where's that?” asked Ellen eagerly.

I don't know that yet, replied the Duskull, somewhat anticlimactically. But I know how we can find out.

---

“Do you recall that I said I'd found evidence that the man in the car was a member of a known criminal syndicate?”

I thought for a moment. We were walking through Solaceon Town, a nice enough village with aspirations to be something larger and more important; Catherine had dropped us off near the edge, and we were making our way... somewhere. Ashley hadn't actually told me where.

“No,” I replied. “Can we get something to eat?”

“What?”

Ashley appeared to be suffering from selective deafness.

“Can we get something to eat?” I repeated. “I'm really hungry. And you probably are as well,” I added. “Or you should be.”

“I'm with Pearl on this one,” said Iago. “Shocking as it may seem, I'm going to agree with the idiot.”

“You just don't want to go there,” Ashley told him. “You hate it there.”

“Correction: they hate me there.”

“You could stay here—”

“I'm not allowed to leave you alone.”

I watched this curious exchange with a now-familiar feeling of confusion and vague hopelessness, and asked at length:

“What are you talking about?”

“We're going—”

“After lunch,” interrupted Iago, and Ashley glared at him.

“Fine,” he conceded. “After lunch, we're going to Veilstone via the Kadabra reserve on Route 215.”

A faint thrill of excitement and nervousness ran through my stomach.

“The Kadabra reserve? Why?”

“I told you I had East-side friends,” he replied. “I did, however, neglect to mention that they are not actually human.”

“That's... unexpected,” I said. “Uh, can we discuss it over lunch?”

“What is this unnatural obsession with lunch?” wondered Ashley. “Everyone wants it today!”

This was singularly weird, and both Iago and I informed him of it in no uncertain terms.

“Fine!” he snapped. “Find somewhere to eat, and we'll eat – but you're paying, Pearl.”

I was only too glad to, and just a few minutes later we were seated at a table in pleasant little café in a pleasant little square (with a pleasant little fountain) in the pleasant little village that was Solaceon.

“This place is very... pleasant,” said Iago suspiciously. “I'm not sure I like it.”

“It's fine,” I told him.

“Yes, you wanted lunch,” grumbled Ashley. “So you'll eat it and like it.”

The food arrived, and Iago and I set to eating; I'd got something for Ashley, but he still didn't seem interested. I wondered if he'd eaten anything at all since we'd first met.

“As I was saying before lunch so rudely interrupted,” he said, “the man who was in the car left a Galactic uniform by the cellar doors.” He threw a scrap of silver fabric with a stylised G on it onto the table.

“Wait – you're saying Team Galactic let out the Driftenburg?” I asked, fork hovering forgotten an inch from my mouth.

“That's right,” replied Ashley. “And the unfortunate man who actually cracked the seal was devoured for his pains – either that or he ran away naked and without his Pokémon, which seems implausible.”

“He had a Pokémon?”

Ashley fished in his pocket and came up with a ball.

“Yes,” he said indifferently. “I wasn't sure what to do with it.”

“Is it valuable?” asked Iago, eyes lighting up. “I could sell it on...”

That reminded me of the ton of scorpion-demon I had; I looked down at my bag on the floor, and nudged it further away from me with one toe. When Ashley wasn't looking, I'd give that to Iago and see if he could sell it for me – but right now, it was just dangerous.

“We'll see later,” replied Ashley. “I doubt the proprietor of this café would look kindly on me releasing it in here. Anyway, the Galactics released the Driftenburg, presumably to slow us down; if they know the Driftenburg exists, they must also know that I would be called in to stop it, and that I wouldn't fail to do so. It was too much of a coincidence for it to escape just when I reached Hearthome.”

“OK,” I said. “So what does this mean for us?”

“Nothing, really,” Iago told me. “Just that the Galactics know we're going to Veilstone. Also, we should now start assuming that Team Galactic knows everything about Ashley – which is plausible, given that pretty much every single fact about him is written down in the League headquarters, where someone could break in and read it.”

“OK,” I repeated. “Why are we going to the Kadabra reserve? You said your friends could get a search warrant, and Kadabra can't get warrants.”

“Well done,” said Ashley. “Very astute of you. The truth is that the acquaintances I have in Veilstone are not the same acquaintances I have in the reserve. The former are important; the latter are simply likely to have overheard what the Galactics are doing. Kadabra are gossips by nature, sharing their thoughts in common, and the collective mental power of the reserve's inhabitants covers the west side of Veilstone. If we can get any information about what the Galactics are doing that necessitated delaying me at the Lost Tower.”

Damn. How could one brain get so much information out of one car and a discarded silver spacesuit? And more to the point, when was I going to get even half as good as Ashley?

“Are you finished?” asked Ashley, as soon as I'd put the last forkful into my mouth. “Right, we're leaving.”

“Hey, what's the rush—?” Iago began, but Ashley grabbed him by one scrawny wrist and dragged him outside. It was quite entertaining to watch, actually: Iago kept wrenching at Ashley's fingers, and completely failing to dislodge them. I shook my head. It must be hard to be a Kadabra without psychic power; they were more or less completely useless without it.

I threw down a few notes on the table, then rushed out to join them as Iago, claws scoring lines in the pavement, was hauled off around the corner. I ran around and almost tripped over Iago's tail: Ashley had dropped him, and was nowhere to be seen.

“What's up?” I asked.

“Not me, that's for sure,” muttered the Kadabra angrily, and climbed awkwardly to his feet. “Damn it! That was very undignified!”

“You're not really a dignified sort of person,” I pointed out.

“Shut up,” he grumbled.

“Where's Ashley?”

“He went in there,” he said, jerking a clawed thumb at a nearby door. “It's a cab depot.”

“They have a cab depot in Solaceon?”

“Yeah. They do surprisingly good business, actually – they get the people wanting to travel between Hearthome and Veilstone, because the cab firms in the cities charge a hell of a lot for trips outside the city limits.” Iago's eyes suddenly lost their focus. “They have twenty-one staff in total and sixteen cars; their registered Sinnoh business number is 4923787; they're jointly owned by Roy Lamperouge and Steve Plath—”

“Iago?”

“Eh?” He looked at me. “Oh. Sorry. I think I hit my head when Ashley dropped me, and that tends to trigger a burst of memories.”

“Those were pretty specific memories.”

He shrugged.

“Well, I have a pretty specific memory,” he said. “By which I mean it's millions of times better than yours.”

“Yeah, but you can't forget the bad stuff, can you?” I pointed out. “Like when you were conned out of everything.”

“Oh, how wonderfully human,” growled Iago sourly. “I show you a miracle of nature, and you point out its disadvantages just because you can't have it.”

I smiled at him, and he growled at me again; the argument would probably have escalated, but Ashley reappeared just then, and guided us into a taxi that had mysteriously appeared in the road behind us. I supposed that with sixteen cars and not too much business, the firm probably had about five stockpiled at their depot.

“To the fox reserve, yes?” asked the taxi driver. Iago looked like he was about to smite him, but, realising that his smiting would have no effect at all, abandoned it.

“No,” replied Ashley coldly. “To the Kadabra reserve, if you please.”

“All right, if that's how you have it,” said the driver mildly. “But to the reserve?”

“Yes. Stop half a mile before the entrance to let us out, then use a different road to go half a mile after the entrance; wait there, and we'll join you to be taken to Veilstone.”

“How long is this going to take?” asked the driver.

“You'll be paid far more than you deserve,” Ashley told him.

“Oh. That's all right then.”

And he drove off and took us out of Solaceon.

---

“So, Kadabra,” said Ashley, as the countryside flashed by. “Tell me what you know about them, Pearl.”

All right, I thought, challenge accepted. I could talk about Kadabra better than most – they're pretty important in philosophy, and though it often seemed like I didn't, I did actually study that.

“They're all one,” I replied. “They have a belief system that seems a little bit like Taoism, wherein they perceive themselves as being participants in a single stream of life that pervades all members of their species.”

“Well done,” said Iago dryly. “Now do it without quoting the textbook.”

“Leave her alone,” Ashley told him. “I don't mind how she gets the answer, as long as she gets it.” He returned his attention to me and smiled encouragingly. “Go on, Pearl. Tell me more.”

“The key difference is that they believe this life force only fills them,” I said. “Because every single Kadabra, Abra and Alakazam is part of a huge network of psychic connections, they believe that there is only one of them alive, and they therefore have only the bare minimum of individuality.”

“Yeah,” said Iago. “Like you humans are any better, following your fashions and your systems of government and your scientific progress. What's that if not an excuse to give up individuality?”

“Ignore him. If he speaks again, I shall quell him.”

This was apparently a serious threat, and Iago shut up.

“Kadabra sincerely believe Alakazam to be the most perfect organism in existence, being a higher form of Kadabra,” I said. “I say 'organism' because, like I said, they believe there's only one of them. Consequently, they've never had a good relationship with humans, and there've been quite a lot of wars between them and us.”

“Which we won,” pointed out Iago, unable to contain himself, and Ashley stared at him so intensely and for so long that his triangular eyes almost retreated into his skull in fright.

“Carry on,” Ashley said.

“Which the Kadabra did indeed win,” I conceded, “and so kept the humans out of their ancestral homelands until the invention of machine-guns, which fired consecutive bullets so rapidly that they couldn't block them all with their minds, and later flamethrowers, which fired fire with the same effect.”

Iago pouted.

“There were a few genocides and a really nasty period of slavery and oppression and such, and then, when more enlightened times came around, a lot of Kadabra tribes were given their old land back, where they're allowed to live mostly unmolested.”

“You know more than I expected,” Ashley said. “Perhaps it's all that food; I ought to feed you more often.”

“I also know that Kadabra eat mainly meat and that most of them are allergic to gluten,” I added helpfully.

“Yes, that'll do,” he said. “What do you know about Kadabra social gestures?”

“Er... nothing,” I admitted.

He sighed.

“Oh well. So much for your philosophy, Pearl; it seems there are things in heaven and earth not dreamt of in it.”

“Is that a joke?” I asked, not quite daring to believe it.

“It was a good one when I first thought of it,” Ashley said gloomily. “But times have moved on, it seems. When you meet the Kadabra, don't try and shake their hands, keep looking them dead in the eye, and let them speak first. If they offer you anything, accept it with gratitude. If the Abra want to play with you, don't let them. Even if you can, don't try and hide anything in your mind from them. Most importantly, don't pretend to be sorry for all humans have done to them, don't pity them, and try not to lie.” Ashley looked grave. “Humans lie in everything they do: they phrase things to imply something other than what happened, or to spare someone's feelings; the way they dress or the way they stand are all part of a desire to project a certain image. It's anathema to Kadabra; they can neither lie nor be lied to, so they prize truth.”

I looked down at myself. Ashley had carefully chosen these clothes so that I'd like them – but I was willing to bet that Kadabra were less fond of expensive designer jeans and dyed hair than I was.

“Crap,” I said.

“Indeed,” agreed Ashley, raising his eyebrows. “You'll have to try extra-hard, I'm afraid – though at least you aren't wearing any make-up. They hate that.”

The car stopped, and Ashley opened the door.

“Come on,” he said. “Enough discussion; there's work to be done.”

Outside it was raining, and there are few things quite as depressing as a forest in the rain; the ten-minute walk to the reserve was a pretty nasty one. If I had been wearing make-up, it would have been ruined; as it was, my hair turned into wet blue strings and refused to go back. I supposed it was probably better for meeting Kadabra – if the style was all gone, it would be more truthful.

After a while, the trail rounded a sharp corner, and the large wooden gates of the reserve appeared as if by magic before us. There was a large blank plaque atop it, and absolutely no sign of anyone around.

“Is there a bell we can ring or something?” I asked, trying to shelter my head from the rain and failing.

“No,” replied Iago. “They'll hear us thinking and someone will come along to let us in.”

Silence fell again, and while I was waiting I started to worry about the reception we were going to get. I knew Kadabra lived their lives at the speed of thought; they would have heard us by now. They must have noticed me, and decided to make me wait.

“The Kadabra must like you too though, right?” I asked. “I mean – since you are a Kadabra, and you're... well, you're Ashley.”

“No,” replied Ashley.

“Me neither,” said Iago.

My heart sank.

“Oh dear.”

“Admittedly, it's Iago who causes the most problems,” Ashley said. “They don't hate him any more than they hate me, but they're more wary of me, since I could make trouble for them if they irritate me.”

It was at that point that the unmistakeable voice of a Kadabra sounded in my head: slow and laboured from the effort of converting thinkwaves into inefficient words.

Humans. We are Kadabra. Who are you?

“You know who I am, and that is enough to earn our entrance,” replied Ashley; I supposed this was the sort of blunt talking you had to do with Kadabra, but I couldn't help thinking how rude it was. “With me is my attendant, Iago, and a student of philosophy, Pearl Gideon.”

I felt curiosity drip into my skull, and knew it came from the Kadabra.

Philosophy...

For a moment, everything tasted very strongly of cantaloupes – even stronger than cantaloupes themselves – and then the sensation abruptly stopped.

The philosophy of Pearl Gideon is incomplete, partially incoherent and worthless, the Kadabra decided, and I realised with a small jolt that they'd just read my mind. What do you want with us, Diamond?

“I have questions to ask you,” said Ashley. “I would like to ask them inside, so that I and my companions don't get wet.”

Two humans and a demon.
The voice paused, the Kadabra presumably mulling it over. You may enter, Diamond.

“Demon?” I asked Ashley in a whisper. “What do they mean, demon?”

“It's interesting,” he replied as the gates swung open, “that you looked at me when they said 'demon', and not Iago.”

Not really knowing what he meant by that, I followed him through the gate, across a little clearing and into one of the four large, dome-shaped buildings that I could see nearby. Cloaked by trees and dead leaves, it was almost invisible; when I got close, I could see it was actually made of cement, which dented the fairyland sort of impression. We passed over a roofed veranda, through a small round door, and ended up in a dimly-lit chamber which was full of Kadabra.

I stopped and stared. I couldn't help it. I must have seen about twenty Kadabra in my whole life up until then – and here were at least double that, all in one place. They sat on low benches in rows, facing inwards towards a central aisle; this aisle lay between us and a dais at the other end, on which three immensely ancient- and sagacious-looking creatures sat, legs crossed and eyes shut. Before each one was a little pot containing a pair of polished silver spoons, and I had no doubt that I was in the presence of a trio of Alakazam.

Three, I thought. All in one place! Most people never even see one. Then: Crap. They'll have heard that. Crap! That too. Aah! Stop thinking!

“Don't stop thinking,” Ashley whispered to me without moving his lips. “You'll come across as a liar.”

Diamond.

The voice was so old, and so slow; it brought with it ideas of glittering clarity, of unparalleled strength, of cold and mines and harsh white light...

“Pearl,” said Ashley softly. “Come back.”

I blinked, and the diamonds disappeared from around me.

“She has never heard Alakazam speak before,” Ashley told the assembled company.

We know, replied the ancient voice. We have seen it already.

I couldn't have said which one the voice came from, but it didn't matter: they were all one, weren't they? Their outlines seemed to blur together before me, and I felt beads of boiling hot sweat break out on my forehead; I wiped them away, blinked hard and willed the blurring away. Listening to these people was much harder than I'd thought it would be.

Diamond. What do you want?

Why didn't they already know, I wondered. Surely they had already read Ashley's mind?

“I want to know what you know about the humans who call themselves Team Galactic,” he said. “They want me dead.”

Your death would not be a loss.

“They also want Iago dead.”

His death would not be a loss.

“They also want Pearl dead.”

Her death would not be a loss.

“Talk about a limited vocabulary,” I muttered under my breath, and then bit my tongue: the Kadabra had probably overheard me thinking that.

“Iago and Pearl would miss their lives, if no one else would,” Ashley replied. “And I intend to see to it that they do not have to.”

The Alakazam and their attendant Kadabra were silent for a while.

You are always so difficult, they said at length. Why are you always so difficult?

“You do not exactly make things easy for me,” he retorted. “Tell me what you know about Galactic.”

Send the man who looks like a Kadabra away. We refuse to speak to him.

“You could broadcast the thought directly to me only—”

You will do it our way.

Ashley turned to Iago.

“Wait on the veranda,” he said, and Iago left without another word.

And the woman, the Alakazam said. The walls seemed to be crawling around me; Ashley turned to me, took one look at my face and asked if he could be excused for a moment. Without waiting for a response, he took my hand and led me from the room; I took one step and almost fell over, and the rest is quite blurry until we joined Iago on the veranda.

“Pearl? Are you all right?” Ashley tipped me backwards gently until my face was in the rain; that did the trick and I snapped back to reality with a jerk.

“Whuh? What – how did we get out here?”

“You had a bad reaction to the telepathy,” Ashley told me. “How do you feel?”

“Like a bubble made of lemon,” I replied, rubbing my head. “Also drunk.”

“I see.” He nodded, as if he really did. “Wait here with Iago. I'll be back soon.”

He went back inside, and I looked over at Iago.

“Seriously, what happened?”

He shrugged.

“You went weird from the telepathy. You're probably just not used to it; don't worry about it.”

“Oh... OK.” There was something else I had to say, something weird that I'd heard while in my trance... ah, that was it. “Iago?”

“Yeah?”

“Why do they call you a man who looks like a Kadabra?”

He was silent for a while, and I began to think he wasn't going to answer; I was just about to apologise for being insensitive when he said:

“Because that's all I am, Pearl.”

I knew something was up even before I'd processed what he'd said. This wasn't his usual tone; this was bleak, and unattractively full of self-pity.

“Kadabra and humans are both – relatively – smart creatures,” Iago went on. “There's just one key difference. Humans have their own minds, and Kadabra share theirs in common.”

“But you can't,” I said softly, seeing it.

“There's a brain cell somewhere in that skull of yours after all,” Iago said. “Yeah, this” – he indicated himself – “is what happens if you're a square peg in a society of round holes. I'm defective and I don't fit and—” He broke off sharply, aware that he was starting to ramble. “Shut up, Pearl,” he said eventually, and took to staring at the rain.

I had no idea what to say to him, and was pretty sure that whatever I did would only make it worse, so I said nothing and looked out at the rain with him. Even if he hated me, even if Iago hated everyone, company might make him feel slightly better. We stayed that way until Ashley returned; when he did, he immediately detected that something was wrong, worked out what it was and told Iago to go on ahead back to the car. Unusually, he obeyed without a word.

“He's really quite pathetic, isn't he?” remarked Ashley, leaning on the veranda railing and watching Iago hurrying away through the driving rain. “Split in two down the middle, with a mind that makes him think like a human but a body unfit to bear his thoughts. Humans discriminate against him for his body, and Kadabra for his mind. It's little wonder that he hates everyone around him. He's not really proud to be a Kadabra; it's just an excuse to dislike humans.”

“That's horrible,” I said. “It's just... God. Isn't there anything—?”

“Don't pity him,” Ashley advised. “Humans are at their worst when driven into a corner, and Iago has been in a corner for a very long time. If there ever was anything but bitterness in him, it's long since rotted away.”

“How can I not pity him?” I asked, starting to get angry. “How can you not pity him?”

“Because if he thought it would benefit him, he would kill you without a second thought,” replied Ashley. “He thinks like a human, yes. But don't make the mistake of thinking that he has the morals of one. He was raised by Kadabra, after all, and they do not understand morality; since they all exist as one organism, they don't need a code of ethics for how they treat one another. Iago has, of course, come into contact with the idea of right and wrong – but he sees it as a construct for the continued functioning of human society rather than an immutable law. For him, there is only what is good for Iago and what is bad for Iago. Someone as amoral and intelligent as him...” Ashley shook his head. “He is dangerous, Pearl. He's entertaining and often funny, but he is a very dangerous creature.”

“I'd kind of already worked that out, Ashley. You know, on account of how he keeps almost murdering me with a knife. It's noticing little details like that that gets you ahead in life.”

“You're angry with me,” observed Ashley. “How odd.”

“I'm not angry, I'm being facetious.”

“It is a very angry sort of facetiousness.” He sighed, took off his glasses and rubbed the raindrops off them. “Come on. Let's go back to the car. I need to tell you and Iago about what I heard from the Alakazam.” He glanced behind us. “Besides, I think they wanted us gone a while ago. The only reason I stayed to talk to you here was to annoy them.”

“Why would you do that?” I asked as we started walking.

“Because, contrary to popular opinion, I do actually have emotions, and one of them is annoyance,” he replied frankly. “The Kadabra and Alakazam are superbly talented at eliciting it from me. They're worse than swans.”

“Swans?”

“I hate swans,” Ashley said. “I can't stand them.”

“What, to eat?”

“No, in general,” he replied. “I don't like geese either. They're very angry birds, and they all seem to hate me in particular.” He shivered. “I was chased for two miles by a goose once.”

I suppressed a grin. Ashley Lacrimére, the great detective, the Diamond, Sinnoh's great national secret, was scared of waterfowl.

“Don't you laugh,” he said, glaring at me and pushing open the gate. “Have you ever fought a swan?”

“No.”

“They're much stronger than you think,” he said darkly. “I've only broken a bone once, Pearl, and it was a swan that did it.”

“Are you looking for sympathy?”

“No,” he said firmly. “I simply wish for you to understand that my fear of swans and geese is wholly rational and rooted in real trauma.”

“I don't think it can be rational,” I said.

“Well, I don't think it's rational to change your entire wardrobe every time the fashion changes,” he countered. “I also don't think it's rational to think that wearing sunglasses and a long coat makes you a detective. And I think it's very irrational to pretend that you don't need glasses to read.”

“Stop stalking me!” I cried.

“I'll stalk whosoever I please,” Ashley replied. “I'm a detective.”

“Aagh! You're so annoying!”

The really annoying thing was that he'd somehow managed to turn a conversation about his inadequacies into one about mine. I hate it when people do that.

“I know,” said Ashley, smiling. “I'm often told that I would be the worst person to be trapped in an elevator with. Although personally I'd find it worse to be trapped in one with you, if only because you would probably get cross enough to punch me eventually.”

“Gah!” That was all I could manage now, and it was a sign that I should probably stop talking before I got worked up into a vengeful fury and did something stupid like kick a tree. I've been down that road before, and it only leads to a broken toe and a night in the Accident and Emergency ward. So I shut up, and we made our way back to the car in silence.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Chapter Nineteen: In Which Little Happens but a Lot is Said

'After Jubilife, Veilstone is the second most important city in Sinnoh. Boasting a hugely successful financial district and the world's oldest suicide booth (a sixty-metre spike-lined pit inside a steel hut), it is far and away the biggest contributor to the Sinnish economy. It also has a long history of meteor showers, and even today there are strike shelters strategically placed around the city.'
—Ordi Nannsevei, The Big Book of Sinnish Cities

“Doesn't it seem to you like ordering their deaths was actually what got them involved?” Cyrus asked the Desk Sitter.

“Perhaps if you had done it as we told you to, things would have gone according to plan,” they replied haughtily.

“Look, I know you're knowledgeable about murder, but you are a little out of touch,” Cyrus pointed out. “When was the last time you killed anyone?”

The Desk Sitter paused.

“It does not change the fact that they are not dead yet.”

“Yes, I'm working on it,” said Cyrus irritably. “Stop needling at me.”

“There is very little else for us to do,” the Desk Sitter told him.

“Well, this trap should work,” Cyrus replied. “I mean, Liza came up with it.”

“Ah yes,” said the Desk Sitter. “That one. We like her.”

“I know.” Cyrus pinched the bridge of his nose and leaned forward on his desk. “But you can't deny that it's the actual order to kill them that got them involved. If they end up stopping us, you'll be to blame.”

“We were told they had to die,” the Desk Sitter said. “We do not fully understand why.”

“That's what makes it hard to see what's going on,” Cyrus replied. “I can only hope this all becomes clearer when we reach the point that the other you came from.”

“It is enough to make anyone confused,” agreed the Desk Sitter. “Even us.”

“You're very arrogant for a hallucination.”

“We are not a hallucination,” said the Desk Sitter indignantly. “We are great and powerful, and humankind has feared us since—”

“Since they first looked out of the cave and saw the eyes looking back out of the dark, yes, I know,” said Cyrus wearily. “You've said it all before.”

“You keep forgetting our fearsomeness.”

“You don't give me a chance to.”

Cyrus and the Desk Sitter glared at each other for a while.

“Well, I'm going to get back to work,” Cyrus said eventually. “Don't bother me.”

“We do not bother. We destroy.”

“Not right now you don't, you lunatic monster,” muttered Cyrus, and went back to his papers.

---

“How's your head now?” asked Ashley.

“Better, thanks,” I replied, vaguely surprised that he'd bothered asking me.

“Good. I thought you might faint in the reserve, and that would have been bad – the background consciousness of the Kadabra would have given you horrific mind-altering nightmares that could well have driven you permanently insane.”

“Really?”

“No, not really,” admitted Ashley.

“Are you going to tell us what the Kadabra told you or not?” asked Iago snappishly.

“All right, all right,” said Ashley mildly. “Calm down. They told me that they haven't been listening out for Galactic, so they don't know much about them – but they did overhear an unusual series of thoughts moving around the city.”

“What do you mean, an unusual series of thoughts?” I asked. “Are they thoughts about unusual things, or what?”

“Thoughts about unusual things in Veilstone? Come on, Pearl, you're smarter than that, aren't you?” asked Iago. “In a big city, people are thinking about all kinds of things, from murder to fraud to any of about four thousand fetishes.”

“All right. So what are unusual thoughts?”

“They were a dialogue,” said Ashley. “A dialogue between Cyrus Maragos and someone else, all taking place within Maragos' head.”

“OK, that is unusual,” I said. “How do they know it was Maragos?”

“Because the other person kept calling him by name,” replied Ashley. “During the course of this dialogue, several references were made to a message that was apparently delivered to the other person, who then passed it on to Maragos.”

“And this message is...?”

“To have the three of us killed,” said Ashley matter-of-factly. “Which means that there is someone beyond Team Galactic who wants us dead, presumably to stop us interfering in the Team's affairs – which means that it must be in their interest to see to it that they succeed.”

“Does that help us at all?”

“What do you say to doing some of the detective work for once?” asked Ashley. “Tell me if that helps us.”

“Uh...” I thought about it. Come on, Pearl, you're a detective now. You can do this! “I guess it means we need to look for who this person is...”

“No, it doesn't help us,” interrupted Iago wearily. “To find this person, we need to find Maragos. Ultimately, everything ends with him.”

“Yes, it does,” agreed Ashley. “It's strange... What I want to know is whether this is the same Cyrus Maragos who gave the speech in Sunyshore – and if so, what changed him from minor politician to criminal mastermind.”

I hadn't made the connection before, but now that Ashley had said it, it was so blindingly obvious that I felt like an idiot for missing it. He'd been in the news, I remembered; there was definitely something weird about him, and there couldn't be that many people named Cyrus Maragos in Sinnoh...

“You think he's the guy we're after?”

“Maybe,” replied Ashley. “Anything is possible, after all.” He looked out of the window. “Ah. It's stopped raining.”

“I hate comments about the weather,” said Iago. “They're so irrelevant. Then again, humans like to busy themselves about inconsistencies, don't they?”

I gave him a look, and he looked back for a minute before glaring at Ashley.

“What did you say to her, you mutant bratchny?”

“I merely enlightened her about the precise differences between Kadabra and humans,” he replied with a little smile. “She was very sympathetic, actually.”

Iago turned his eyes on me, and they blazed with such ferocity that I shrank back in my seat.

“Well, it wasn't sympathy as such,” I began weakly, and trailed off with a nervous laugh.

“Don't you ever—” snarled Iago, but Ashley tapped him on the shoulder.

“Ah, leave her alone,” he said. “She can be very annoying, yes, what with her insistence on eating and coming along with us, but I have to say that Pearl is growing on me. Haven't you noticed that I've stopped being horrible to her?”

“Don't worry, I'll do it enough for both of us—”

“No,” said Ashley sharply. “I like Pearl now, and that means she has my protection. Do I make myself clear?”

Iago muttered something into his moustache and fell silent. Ashley smiled at me over his head, and left me feeling slightly weird for the rest of the journey, though I couldn't have said why.

---

“So, Ishmael,” said Ellen, “how is it that we can find out where this weak point is?”

Following Team Galactic, replied Pigzie Doodle. It's simple. From listening to what Liza says, they're conducting some sort of investigation into space and time – that's where I got the idea of there being a weak spot from.

“You aren't basing this on any factual evidence, then?”

Hell no! cried the Duskull. I made up this whole plan on the spot. But it makes sense, right? If there's a weak spot in the fabric of spacetime, it stands to reason that the laws of nature are weak there, too. And if they're going to find this weak spot, then we can follow them and find it too.

“You made this all up, didn't you?”

Yes I did. Do you know why? Because I'm smart. And hey, here comes Jeeves.

“Who?”

Ellen looked up, confused, and saw a sinister black motor-car coming around the corner, apparently driverless; as it came closer, she could make out the translucent form of Bond at the wheel.

“Madam,” he said, bringing the car to a halt next to her and getting out to open the back door. “Your motor-car.”

“Where did you get it?” asked Ellen. “It looks just like the other one!”

“There is a chain of shops, madam – purveyors of sinister black motor-cars to those of ill intent. They appear to have branches in most major cities. I... acquired... both of the motor-cars from them.”

“Oh. That's all right, then.” Ellen indicated Pigzie Doodle. “Bond, Pigzie Doodle came back!”

Bond looked. Indeed, he said, it seemed that the Duskull had returned. Why, he enquired politely and without the slightest hint of suspicion, was this?

Fortune and glory, kid, said Pigzie Doodle. Fortune and glory. He chuckled, and the energy made his eye bounce up and down inside him. No, but in all seriousness, I'm going to help you guys speak to Tristan Shandy so you can alert everyone to what Liza Radley is, and then I'm going to earn my place in history.

Bond turned to Ellen.

“Madam, what precisely did he say?”

“He knows of a way we can contact Tristan!” And Ellen explained it all to Bond, only she was a little confused by all this 'spacetime' business, and it might have come out a little garbled.

“I see,” said Bond, who, having had things explained to him by Ellen, almost certainly did not. “Most intriguing. In that case, we ought to make our way to Veilstone, should we not? I believe Pigzie Doodle—”

Ishmael! snapped the Duskull furiously.

“—said that they were based there,” continued Bond without pausing, which was understandable since he could not hear him.

Good God, I need to change my name, said Pigzie Doodle dispiritedly. Why on earth haven't I done it already, that's what I want to know. And I suppose my question's never going to be answered. Actually, who named me? And he fell into a pensive silence.

“Yes, I believe that's right, Bond,” said Ellen, getting into the car. “Shall we go, then?”

“Naturally, madam,” replied Bond, shutting the door behind her and returning to his seat in the front. “Is our spectral benefactor coming?”

Yeah, yeah, muttered Pigzie Doodle. I'm coming. He drifted in through the roof and came to a rest above the passenger seat. Hit it, Jeeves.

“Did he say something, madam?”

“He said: 'Hit it, Jeeves',” Ellen told him helpfully. “Whatever that might mean.”

“Very good, sir,” Bond said to Pigzie Doodle, who looked at him in an appreciative sort of way.

Now, I like that, he said, and the sinister black motor-car made its sinister way through the darkening streets of Jubilife.

---

On balance, I decided I didn't like Veilstone. OK, so it was huge, full of shops, clubs and some amazing hotels – but it was also full of dust. There was a thin grey layer of the stuff over every street; you'd have thought that all the people walking down each street would have churned it away years ago, but it seemed to cling tenaciously to the ground like a drowning man to a rope. It wouldn't rise into the air and dissipate; it stuck to the soles of your shoes, and to the sides of buildings, but that was as far as it would go. It was like the whole city was painted grey, and it made the place pretty ugly.

“What's with this dust?” I asked, as we left our taxi behind and headed for the nearest subway station. “It won't go away.”

“No, it won't,” agreed Ashley. “No one knows why.”

“That is such a shoddy explanation.”

“Yes, but you can't very well dispute it. It's not as if you know why.”

He had a point; I sighed and tried not to get any dust on my jeans. It probably wouldn't wash out.

“I have a theory that it isn't really dust, but tiny Rock-type Pokémon that resemble granite dust,” Ashley said.

“Really?”

“No, not really,” he said. “Come on, Pearl. You've fallen for exactly the same trick twice this afternoon, and it's not even three yet.”

“Huh. Are we going to the Galactic warehouse you mentioned?” I asked. “The ones your East-side 'acquaintances' told you about?”

“Actually, we're going to see my acquaintances,” Ashley said. “I don't actually know where the warehouse is, and the fastest way of finding it would be to ask them.”

“Some detective.”

“That was wholly uncalled-for,” Ashley said, raising his eyebrows. “I don't have to keep being nice to you, you know. I could go back to treating you like a lobotomised Panpour.”

“What's a Panpour?”

“Something that should never have been born,” Iago replied darkly, which kind of put an end to the conversation.

Ten minutes later, we got to a subway station; as we descended the steps, I asked Ashley why he was taking public transport instead of a taxi, and he replied that he was tired of paying for them. At that point, I pointed out that I'd been paying for them, which he chose to ignore.

The train was quite crowded – which struck me as strange, since it was only three o'clock. Most of the people on board were kids as well, and a lot of them were dressed pretty weirdly. I didn't actually realise the significance of any of this until we got off and went back up above ground to the street, where I saw that we were directly opposite Veilstone City's Pokémon Gym.

Like Eterna's, it was old and belonged to a time before the rest of the city had even been dreamed of; it had once been a watchtower or something, judging by the look of it, and it had been expanded at the base to accommodate the arenas within. That wasn't the main attraction, though – that was the huge crowd of weird-looking kids gathered outside in the street, and the large temporary stage that had been set up in their midst. TV cameras and boom mikes were dotted around, swinging from side to side as if looking for prey; there even seemed to be fencing at points around the street, to keep the traffic out. Whatever was going on, it was planned and it was big.

“What's this?” Ashley wondered. “Oh, I remember – Wake was supposed to visit Marlene for a televised battle today.” He sighed. “How tiresome. I'd better catch her before the fight begins.”

Of course – the odd kids were Trainers. That made sense, given what I'd learned about Trainer fashion sense from Marley.

“A Gym Leader battle?” I asked, interested. “Can't we stay and watch?”

“Well, you can,” he said. “But I have a Galactic warehouse to infiltrate, and I'm not putting that off.”

I would have said more, but at that point I was shoved forwards by a group of Trainers trying to get out of the subway station and almost knocked over.

“I think we need to get out of this crowd,” murmured Ashley, and started to slink off to the left. Iago and I followed close behind, and after a few uncomfortable minutes, we had reached the barrier fence and got out of the crush. We made our way along the edge of the crowd, dodging the occasional surge of excited teenagers, and then along the side of the Gym building; it took far longer than I would have liked, but we did eventually get to the door, whereupon we were immediately stopped by a man who looked like he was strong enough that he had to register his hands as deadly weapons.

“Sorry, guys,” he said. “Gym's closed. Can't you see that?”

“Maylene will make an exception for me,” said Ashley.

“Really.” It was not a question. The big man leaned back and folded meaty arms. “What, you her boyfriend or something?”

Ashley raised an eyebrow, which made me ridiculously envious – I can only lift both at once.

“To be honest, I would have thought you were too busy grieving to come into work today,” he said. “In my experience, jilted lovers tend to be a lot less composed than you are. But then you are composed,” he went on, sounding interested now, “so you either have incredible emotional strength or you didn't care about her, which was rather nasty considering you've been married a year already. Now why wouldn't you care? I suspect an affair – and in fact you're going to take your new lover out today, right after you finish work. I think she'll like it, unless she's allergic to seafood.”

The man stared at him, and so did I. Unless I was very much mistaken, I'd just seen the full power of a true detective at first hand.

“Wha...?”

“Oh, please,” said Ashley, shaking his head. “You make it far too easy. There's a pale band of skin where your wedding ring used to be; since the skin is quite noticeably more tanned, you've obviously been wearing it at least one summer. Now, I'll admit that I guessed at the length of your relationship, but I was fairly certain it would be a year or under; if I recall correctly, 65% of Sinnish marriages currently end in divorce, and 81% of those fall apart within the first eighteen months. In addition to that, you don't seem the sort of man who'd have the intellect to conceal an affair adequately for any length of time.

“I knew you had broken up because the ring was gone and yet you're far too well-turned-out for a martial artist Trainer coming to work at the Gym, even on a day like this. You're wearing an expensive aftershave, your fingernails are freshly cut – you missed the left edge of that one, by the way – and you're also freshly shaven. Finally, and most obviously, you aren't dressed like your colleague over there.” Ashley indicated another massive man over by the stage; he literally towered head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd, and was dressed in that white outfit that martial artists wear. “Why would you be in work and so nicely prepared when you should still be upset over the collapse of your marriage? You must not have cared about your wife at all, so chances are you were having an affair, something that becomes more likely when we consider that the extent of your preparations today indicate that you probably planned to meet with your lover straight after work – which wouldn't leave you time to prepare later.

“As for the seafood, I noticed as we approached the edge of the tickets in your pocket. I can make out the word 'The' and the first letter of the next word, 'C'; the only shows in Veilstone at the moment that begin like that are The Cheese Thief, a play at the Morlow Theatre, and The China Dragon, a ballet at the Dupont. You are clearly not a ballet man, so it's far more likely you're going to the Morlow; The Cheese Thief is also a romantic comedy, ideal for a date. And what do you eat after you've been to the Morlow? You're a Gym Trainer, you don't have enough money to go to an expensive restaurant – and there is an excellent cheap seafood place two streets away from the Morlow that would suit your purpose admirably.”

The big man was still staring, and so was I. I had been hit by a horrible feeling that I was never going to be a good detective.

“You...” He seemed to be struggling for words. “How...”

“I just told you how. Now let me in.”

“Uh... no!” He recovered himself. “You can't come in.”

“Actually, I have an I.D. card here that says I can,” said Iago, holding it up.

“Yes,” said Ashley, far too quickly, “we have I.D. Look.” He grabbed the card off Iago and thrust it at the giant guard. He studied it carefully, suddenly looked very worried and opened the door.

“Right,” he said. “Go on in, sirs, ma'am.”

“Thank you,” said Ashley. “Come, Pearl.”

He swept in through the doorway, and I followed, still in a sort of trance.

“That. Was. Incredible,” I hissed. “Jesus, Ashley, that was like something out of a movie!”

“Yeah, it was also completely pointless,” said Iago, more cynically. “Was that really necessary?”

“I forgot about the I.D.,” Ashley said stiffly. “And it sometimes works. The surprise makes people rather suggestible.”

“Huh? Ashley, is that you?”

“Oh, Lord,” groaned Ashley. “It's Wake.”

Standing before us were the two people who'd be competing in the battle outside, and they could not have been more different: one was the size of a bear and muscled to match, and the other was about eleven, tiny, and skinny as a rake. If my senses hadn't been dulled already by the shock of Ashley's detective power, I'd probably have been almost as shocked as I was when we met Cynthia: these were two of Sinnoh's Gym Leaders, 'Crasher' Wake and Maylene Roberts, and they were both within three feet of me.

“Ashley!” roared Crasher, snatching up his hand in a bone-crushing handshake. “It's been too long – I was beginning to think that you were avoiding me!”

“Yes, I wonder why that is,” said Ashley, withdrawing his hand and shaking it back into shape. “I actually came here to see—”

“And Iago!” cried Crasher, grabbing for the Kadabra's hand and missing; Iago had jumped backwards to avoid having the wrestler break his arm. “I guess it's because you go around with Ashley, but I don't see much of you either.”

“Yeah, blame Ashley,” muttered Iago. “Why don't you meet Pearl?”

Crasher turned to face me, which was actually quite alarming – it was like watching a mountain suddenly rotate on the spot.

“So you're Pearl, eh? I've heard about you!” He lurched towards me, and I stepped to one side before he crushed me. I decided that perhaps I didn't like him quite so much; he wasn't a nasty person, but he seemed to be quite dangerous. “Cynthia doesn't think much of you,” he confided.

“She doesn't?”

“I think she thinks you're trying to st—”

“Crasher!” interrupted Maylene suddenly, in a clear, high voice. “I think Mister Lacrimére is in a hurry, and I'd like to deal with it soon, so we can start our battle on time. Would you like to go outside for a while?”

“Outside?” Crasher considered. “Aha! To entertain the crowd, of course! Leave it to me, Maylene. I am a fabulous warm-up act!” And he strode out, bellowing his famous theme song: “The ring is my roiling seeeaaaaa...!”

The four of us who remained stood still for a moment, savouring the sudden silence. Then Maylene jumped up and wrapped her arms around Ashley's neck.

“Ashley!” she squealed. “You've come!”

Much to my surprise, Ashley smiled and hugged her back.

“Yes, I have,” he said. “Evidently you missed me.”

“Have you brought—”

“Not today,” he said sadly, peeling her off him and setting her back down on the floor. “Another time, yes?”

“OK,” agreed Maylene. “Did you come about the Galactics?”

“Yes.”

“I'll go get the address,” she said, and ran off down a corridor. She looked like a nimble little monkey, all thin limbs and spiky hair. Ashley watched her go for a while, and then turned to see me staring.

“What?” he said. “I like children.”

“I have never seen you show so much affection,” I told him. “What have you done with the real Ashley?”

“No, seriously,” said Iago. “If he wasn't a detective, he could be a children's entertainer. For some reason, they love him, and his massive ego feeds off that.”

“That's not true. I just like them, that's all, and they like me back.”

Maylene came back a moment later holding an envelope.

“This is what my people gave me,” she said. “This is the address.”

“Thanks,” said Ashley, ruffling her hair and taking the envelope from her. “You were right, Maylene, I was in a hurry, so I can't stay today.” Maylene looked disappointed, but nodded understandingly. “But I do have another favour to ask of you.” Ashley indicated the door, through which we could faintly hear the sound of Crasher's singing. “Can we use the back door?”

---

Fifteen minutes later, we were in the heart of Veilstone's industrial district, looking up at one warehouse among a sea of hundreds; here, the dust on the ground had mixed with spilled oil to make a black paste, and there was graffiti on almost every wall you looked at. Ragged cranes rose up in their hundreds from behind the buildings; somehow, they seemed to me to be trying to escape. This was a bleak place, and it wasn't friendly.

It also had a lunatic Frenchman in it, which was something I wasn't expecting and didn't really want.

“Ah, Mademoiselle Gideon!” cried Looker, abandoning his staring at the warehouse and coming over to join us. “And le Diamant!”

“What about me?” asked Iago. “Actually, no, I don't want to talk to you.”

“Monsieur Looker,” said Ashley, smiling. “I suppose your investigation of the Galactics brings you here?”

“Looking for the Galactics, ah, it can only lead me to Mademoiselle Radley,” explained Looker. “But I am not so sure now that this place is, how you say, of any significance.”

Ashley looked interested.

“What makes you say that?”

“Why, monsieur it is completely empty!” said Looker. “There is nothing in there. I can find no secret passage or concealed clues.”

“Nothing at all?” I asked. “There has to be something, right?”

“If there is, I expect le Diamant could find it,” said Looker, casting a reverential glance at Ashley. “If you would thank?”

“Eh? I think you mean 'If you please',” said Ashley. “But yes, I'll take a look. Pearl, you're coming with me.”

“Why?”

“Because I need someone to explain things to as I find them out, and Iago has been in a bad mood since we left the reserve.”

“Why not Looker?” I asked. “He's your number one fan.”

“Yes, why not Looker?” asked Looker eagerly.

“Because he's too eager,” said Ashley. “There's no point if someone agrees with everything I say. I need someone who fights back a little bit – just enough for me to prove them wrong.”

“Oh yeah. That really makes me want to go with— hey, let go of my arm!”

“I am not listening to you right now.”

So saying, Ashley dragged me into the warehouse and slammed the door behind us.

---

Iago and Looker exchanged looks.

“He knows what he is doing, non?” asked Looker.

“How the hell should I know?” replied Iago irritably. “He's Ashley Lacrimére. Half the time he's a genius and half the time he's making stuff up as he goes along.”

“Ah, I see,” said Looker, who, thanks to the language barrier, did not. “Let us hope this is the best of halves!”

Iago stared at him for a moment, tried to decipher what he'd just said and gave up.

---

“Wow,” I said. “Looker was right.”

There really was nothing in here. The warehouse wasn't that big, and even in the gloom we could see clear across to the other sides; there was nothing there. No crates full of suspicious artefacts, no cages full of unevolved Pokémon, no gigantic van-based batteries... Nothing that seemed connected with Team Galactic at all. In fact, nothing period. This place was empty.

“Oh.” Ashley looked around. “Ah. Pearl, I'm sorry.”

“What? Why?”

“This is a trap.”

What? How can you tell?”

“When I walk into a room and the door locks behind me, it usually indicates a trap.”

“The door what?”

I turned around and wrenched at the handle – but Ashley was right. It was stuck fast.

“What do we do?” I asked, trying not to hyperventilate. “What do we do? Is there going to be nerve gas? People with guns? A giant, angry Pokémon? Will they flood the place? Oh God, they're going to flood the place, aren't they? Drowning sounds like such a painful way to go—!”

“Pearl!” snapped Ashley. “Shut up!”

I did. He grabbed my shoulders and looked at me very intently; far away in the back of my head, a little voice told me that life was finally turning into a movie, and that I'd seen this exact scene in the cinema a few weeks ago.

“Listen very carefully,” he said. “I shall say this only once. You're not going to die, Pearl. Do you remember what I said in Hearthome? The reason I've let you come with me is so that you don't get hurt. I can guarantee that whatever is in this room, I can protect you from it.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really,” snapped Ashley. “My God, this is like trying to talk to a stuffed animal.”

“Sorry.”

“Now, as to your earlier question...” Ashley let go of me and cast his gaze across the room. “This warehouse is definitely smaller on the inside than it is on the outside, which allows for the possibility of hidden compartments in the walls and ceiling. Look up at those ventilation ducts there: they're abnormally large. This can only be one sort of trap.”

“What is it?” I asked, noticing for the first time a low, booming droning. It had been there all along, I realised, but now it was getting louder, as if something were coming closer—

“A honeytrap,” said Ashley, and the bees arrived.