• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mysterious Characters in Anime-Manga

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Discuss mysterious characters of the anime/manga, from favorites to... well favorites. Why discuss a non-favorite lol?

I'll start with a particularly interesting one, Phantaminum of Tower of God.

latest

An image of Phantaminum as he appears in the webtoon.

latest

So for those who never read Tower of God, it's a webtoon which features the main character Baam who climbs the "Tower" which is comprised of floors that each contains its own world. One of, if not the most mysterious character of Tower of God is Phantaminum who is declared by the Ranking Administration Office as the most powerful being in the tower, surpassing the main antagonist of the series, Zahard. How did he get this ranking? Through just one battle. That's it. This mysterious being showed up out of nowhere, going after the second strongest being at the time, Zahard, massacring his followers who are composed of mostly high-rankers, people who make up 1% of the strongest known beings in the tower. He eventually met the main antagonist himself but simply vanished without a fight, leaving behind almost no witnesses that as of now, it's hard to separate fact from fiction. Creepy right? So what is he?

According to the author of Tower of God, Phantaminum is essentially an "Axis" who started out as a regular human being who one day "awakened", his powers flowing through him as an axis. An "Axis" is an author of a "story", a literal god whose power cannot be denied and cannot be harmed by a non-Axis. What's interesting is that not a single person in the Tower of God universe knows this fact because this information of an "Axis" does not exist in the Tower of God but to us, the readers. No one in the Tower of God knows Phantaminum is essentially a god but instead know him as a monster who simply appeared out of nowhere and vanished. Interesting right? Although it does explain why he's so powerful, it doesn't explain his actions, including leaving behind certain people unharmed, one of the great mysteries of the tower.

Leonhart

Imagineer
One of the most mysterious anime/manga characters that I remember is the Florian Triangle monster from One Piece. It was only seen once at the end of the Thriller Bark arc, but it was massive and probably the largest creature in the whole series thus far. I really want to know what it was since it was hidden by mist and never fully touched upon.

Sakuyamon

The Soul King from Bleach. He was only shown in a few panels and was being hyped up as being an important character in the final Bleach arc and he had been mentioned earlier in the manga but then he got killed off and was never given any interactions with the main character. I think the novels gave him some extra back story but those aren't canon afaik.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The Soul King from Bleach. He was only shown in a few panels and was being hyped up as being an important character in the final Bleach arc and he had been mentioned earlier in the manga but then he got killed off and was never given any interactions with the main character. I think the novels gave him some extra back story but those aren't canon afaik.
Kubo may have had more extensive plans for him. At any rate, he was forced to cut the final arc shorter than he would have liked due to health issues and pressure to wrap up the series.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I guess Kisara from the original Yugioh series. Im still unsure where she was originally from and how/why she can summon the Blue Eyes White Dragon since i don't think they ever said anything about that. Plus her appearance is pretty mysterious for someone living in ancient Egypt in that time i guess.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pokegirl Fan~ said:
Plus her appearance is pretty mysterious for someone living in ancient Egypt in that time i guess.

If you mean her light skin tone and white hair, I think she looked that way because of the Blue-Eyes White Dragon spirit's influence on her physical body.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

Enryu from Tower of God is an extremely mysterious character in the lore. His lore is introduced early on if I remember as the second strongest being in the tower, having done the impossible. Something not even Emperor Zahard, the 3rd strongest being who once ranked 1st, could achieve. He killed a Guardian and for those who don't know how big of a deal that is, a Guardian is in many ways like a God who rules over a floor, each floor containing its own world. What happened basically is that Enryu somehow manage to kill a Guardian of the 43rd floor and this resulted in drenching the entire floor's world in the Guardian's blood and corpse, turning it into an uninhabitable and lawless place where the energy, Shinsoo, is so weak that even powerful beings wouldn't dare go near that floor.