• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mysterious Dungeon Red, First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrike Flamestar

Video Game Addict
I, um, "obtained" the Red version of Mysterious Dungeon and played a bit of it. I can't understand a word of it, however, through trial and error I managed to turn myself into a Cyndaquil, choose Squirtle as my partner, figured out that the first name entry dialogue is actually for your partner and not you, got to the first dungeon and messed around in the menus, managed to get though the first "dungeon" (and level up twice!), named what I can only suppose is our Rescue Force, and finally quit shortly afterwards when you get your first piece of mail, as the incomprehensible items and not knowing what four out of five of them did was finally getting to me. All I could tell was that one of the four or five I had heals your HP.

It's extremely awesome, however. One thing I greatly appreciate is that Pokemon finally have a move that can be used infinitely without worry of PP, even if you do have other attacks you can use.

Controls seem to be simple, however I can tell there's a lot I don't understand still. Your standard, non-PP move is executed with A (for Cyndaquil it's a kind of tackle); the Menu is accessed with B; special attacks are accessed by going to the menu, choosing the first option, choosing an attack from the list, and then choosing the first option in the pop up box (second seems to assign it to a shortcut, but I have no idea what that shortcut is.). From what I could tell Cyndaquil starts with a 25 PP move that looks like a tackle, a 20 PP status lowering move, and gains Smoke Screen after the first level up, I forget how much PP it has. A and B pressed together causes your Pokemon to wait a turn, allowing wild Pokemon to move while you stand still. Press R once and you can change the direction you're facing; if an enemy is right next to you the direction "line" will automatically line up to face them. L seems to do nothing, but my keys seemed to be picky today, some times I had to press "B" *cough* about five times to get the menu to open, hopefully that's my, er, "system", and not the game. Select turns the screen black, I guess it's a pause or something. Start acts the same as R. Movement in dungeons is square by square as in the previous games, however in town movement is completely free. Also, in town the only control that works is B for the Menu (and A to select/talk/use things, of course) Saving I’m not sure of, however I believe it saves when you sleep in your bed. I just got some kind of error message or something though, however the same tends to happen with Fire Fred and Leaf Green on this same “system,” if you know what I mean...

I've been thinking about how great a Pokemon Tactics game would be, and this comes very close to my vision. It's not quite the same however, from what I've tried so far, it has the potential to be tied for my favorite Pokemon game along with Ruby and Fire Red. The gameplay is just pretty much perfect from what I played, the graphics are clean and smooth, and the art that pops up when a Pokemon talks is cute and expressive (Squirtle is hilarious when it’s surprised). The music is okay, however the music in the first "dungeon" got repetitive fairly quickly.

I really only have two problems with it. The first is the map overlaying the screen can be pretty annoying. In the options menu (which is buried deep in the main menu) it can be set to off, outline (default), and an outline filled with dots. It can be very helpful to see where you've been and haven't been, so setting it to off isn't a good idea, however even the normal outline can be annoying. The dotted one is almost unbearable. If these games come out in English (and they better), it may very well be the map that forces me to get Blue.

My only other complaint is that there's TO MUCH TEXT!!!!!! From what I can see, there's no Kanji, so people with a basic, fundamental understanding of Katakana should be able to handle it fine, however I know nothing about any type of Japanese. The menus are pretty much torture. I mean, there's a few obvious things, the last entry in any menu is "back," the first in a pop up box is usually "accept/use," and so on. From there it's pretty much trial and error.

Oh, another minor annoyance are the complex menus. If I could actually understand what everything was, however, that wouldn’t be so bad.

This is the first truly original Pokemon game in a while, and the only that is able to stand with the likes of the core RPG series to me. If this doesn't come out in English I will be sorely disappointed. After all, only a few Pokemon games haven't come out in English; The original red and green versions (obscure fact, the original Japanese red and green versions had even worse graphics then the English Blue/Red. Japanese Blue was a sort of promo and pretty much the only differences between it and the original red and green were the better graphics. That Japanese Blue became the English Blue, and our English Red was never even released in Japan. At least, that's true if Nintendo Power didn't lie to me...), TCG 2 (It's a shame, I guess the first TCG didn't sell well out of Japan), and the original Stadium (Another slightly obscure fact, our Stadium 1 was Japan's Stadium 2; and our Stadium 2 was their Stadium 3. We never got the true Stadium 1)

EDIT: You can become a water starter in Red! And thus, a fire starter in Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!! I first heard about this happening on GameFAQs, and so and went to check it out for myself. Conveniently, the very first new game I tried, I was a Squritle (it's random who you will be, by the way, so you'll have to keep on reseting until you get who you want)! In this case, if it comes out in English I WILL get the Blue version now, since I guess the version merely changes which team is good and which is evil, and probably also there are some exclusive Pokemon that only pop up in one version.

Last edited:
T

TheBlueDragon

I have played it a little, too. Unfortunately, I only know basic katakana, so all I can do is read the pokémon and item names.
Apparently, the questions asked to you when a new game is started define which starter you're getting, like a personality test.

You recover HP while walking, which is great.

I still didn't understand what those green arrow panels on the floor are for, and sometimes it's just annoying to die from repeated 2~3 attacks while paralyzed.

But it's a pretty cool game, and I hope it's released in English. ;D

L

LordGek

TheBlueDragon said:
...I still didn't understand what those green arrow panels on the floor are for...

Those green arrow panels heal you from "having a big yellow down arrow" over your head (so, assumably, only statistic modifiers like lowered attack or defense but not poison or confusion).

metabee14

The Silent One
Shrike Flamestar said:
Controls seem to be simple, however I can tell there's a lot I don't understand still. Your standard, non-PP move is executed with A (for Cyndaquil it's a kind of tackle); the Menu is accessed with B; special attacks are accessed by going to the menu, choosing the first option, choosing an attack from the list, and then choosing the first option in the pop up box (second seems to assign it to a shortcut, but I have no idea what that shortcut is.). Press R once and you can change the direction you're facing; if an enemy is right next to you the direction "line" will automatically line up to face them. L seems to do nothing, but my keys seemed to be picky today, some times I had to press "B" *cough* about five times to get the menu to open, hopefully that's my, er, "system", and not the game. Select turns the screen black, I guess it's a pause or something. Start acts the same as R. Movement in dungeons is square by square as in the previous games, however in town movement is completely free. Also, in town the only control that works is B for the Menu (and A to select/talk/use things, of course) Saving I’m not sure of, however I believe it saves when you sleep in your bed. I just got some kind of error message or something though, however the same tends to happen with Fire Fred and Leaf Green on this same “system,” if you know what I mean...

About the shortcut, go the the menu with your moves and press select on one of them, then in battle press L and A to do your "stored" move.
About the B menu, I also have the same problem, you have to press a lot B to get the menu screen up. They definately should fix that in the english version.

The error you mention is what I believe the "this overwrites your previous save file" message (cause it can save).

Yes I got my totodile and then chose charmender, water, fire, grass, normal, ground, it all depends on your chose of anwsers(only tried once but heard a lot about it). Still the name entry bothers me, my charmander is named Cor and totodile is named Char:/.

Currently I am at Zapdos and I'm at level 20 with both and I have a couple of other pokemon for my Rescue Force.
The max you can have on a mission is four pokemon.
In dungeon stairs are your friends cause they completely heal your team.

JazzJazz

You guys that are playing it... please tell me that the whole feeding thing is not that big of an issue in the games.

L

LordGek

Not really.

Also, it appears only YOU (the transformed one) gets hungry since there is only the one food meter, its pretty easy to come by in town, and at least in these early dungeons, pretty common in the dungeons. I think its sole purpose is just to keep you from loitering on a level forever (baddies are spawned endlessly but the items, other than the rare drop with a baddy, are only generated when the level is first made).

T

Takuya

Where is the food meter anyways?

All I can see is that green bar on top and thats the HP...

metabee14

The Silent One
Press B to open the menu and it's right next to your HP of your pokemon.
When you first enters a dungeon it will show 100/100.
It takes 10 steps to lower the meter by 1.
So you have 1000 steps before you need to give your pokemon any kind of food that will restore your hunger.

EDIT: you know when you are hungry when the interface flashes red.

Last edited:

JazzJazz

That's all a relief... thanks. I was worried that the whole feeding thing was going to be too much of a distraction from the main focus of the games.

L

LordGek

JazzJazz said:
That's all a relief... thanks. I was worried that the whole feeding thing was going to be too much of a distraction from the main focus of the games.

Nah, this is nothing even like Emerald's "having to find the right food for a particular pokemon's nature/type".

Shrike Flamestar

Video Game Addict
To everybody saying the long string of questions determines who you turn up as, I don't know if that's quite the case. The first time I tried I chose the first answer for all of them straight through and ended up as Machop, however once I did a full reset I once again chose the first answers all the way through and ended up as Squirtle.

It might be that your answers determines a set of Pokemon, each set with about five or six different Pokemon in it, that you are drawn from randomly, however.

Thanks for the L+A tip, Metabee. That will be very handy. It can get annoying having to go to the menu every time I want to use a stronger attack.

About the B button not responding thing, maybe they're both the "same" game *coughromcough* and that's just an error with how they were made *coughdumpedcough*

frogla

He Has Returned
What are the blue orbs items and how do you get partners?

Last edited:

Faerie

MONS
I don't know very much about this game, but it seems cool. As far as the battling style, overworld graphic style and text organization, it seems as if it's been influenced by KH: Chain of Memories, but the plot dosen't seem to much resemble it at all. I'd like to buy this game if it's ever released in English. The text, overworld and battling in the other Pokemon TOTALLY ticked me off. Expecially the battling. X__x;

metabee14

The Silent One
frogla said:
What are the blue orbs items and how do you get partners?

The blue orbs are attacks you can use against wild pokemon. They are attacks that are usefull if you don't have a parallyzing move on your pokemon for example so you can use an orb for that.

You can get partners randomly, just fight wild pokemon and keep attention while attacking. Sometimes a pokemon will join forces with your team.
Chose the first option to accept his/her offer and you can give him/her a name.
To have more starting pokemon when you begin a mission you have to go to the left of your house and automatically a menu pops up with the extra pokemon.
Be aware that you can only have up to four pokemon with you at a time.

frogla

He Has Returned
You Sir are my new best freind. thanks Cna pokemon evolve also

Status
Not open for further replies.