• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mystery At The Lighthouse! (013)

Shayuin

Banned
Bill didn't do much and I wish we had learned much more about his PC Storage System instead of his Dragonite fetish.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Bill didn't do much and I wish we had learned much more about his PC Storage System instead of his Dragonite fetish.

What more did we need to learn? Bill's PC system wasn't exactly worthy of too much focus, anyway.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I still wonder if the Kairyu that visited Masaki's lighthouse here was gigantic due to an error by the animators, or if it was done on purpose to make this Kairyu seem exotic and special.

Wow who spit in Misty's breakfast? She had no right to belittle Ash or make up facts about his Pokemon pitying him. Bill scared me as a kid when I saw his big Kabuto costume.

gentwoer

I still wonder if the Kairyu that visited Masaki's lighthouse here was gigantic due to an error by the animators, or if it was done on purpose to make this Kairyu seem exotic and special.

I still wonder how an expert like Bill can't recognize a Dragonite? I guess it's the same leap in logic in how Ash is supposedly a huge Pokemon fan and yet he only seems to know the Kanto starters (and not even their evolutions) And I HIGHLY doubt it was an animation error.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Wow who spit in Misty's breakfast? She had no right to belittle Ash or make up facts about his Pokemon pitying him. Bill scared me as a kid when I saw his big Kabuto costume.

Kasumi was just messing with him I believe, although there was some truth to her teasing since Hitokage and Zenigame approached Satoshi of their own accord and weren't captured in the orthodox way via a battle.

gentwoer

This episode raised so many questions.

If the 6 Pokemon only rule is enforced by any extra Pokemon being transported to where the trainer had their pokedex registered what about trainers who don't have pokedex like Brock and Misty?

So people eat Pokemon? At least Ash fears Oak will eat his Krabby and Oak doesn't dismiss the notion other than Krabby being too small.

On top of that in a (dub only) line Brock says he's making bacon double cheeseburger for the group. I guess at this point real world animals still exist since we've seen fish and worms at least and other real world animals have been referenced but I can't help but thinking a Milktank and Tepig had died to feed Ash and company. Do Pokemon rights activist exist? Team Plasma doesn't count.

Bill has a drawing of a Mewtwo at his door. The real world answer is the first movie probably wasn't thought of yet but in universe no one but Giovanni and the scientist hired were suppose to know Mewtwo exist (if he even existed at all at this point) so odd....

If Bill knows so much you would think he'd recognize the silhouette of a Dragonite.

andrewscott48209

This episode raised so many questions.

If the 6 Pokemon only rule is enforced by any extra Pokemon being transported to where the trainer had their pokedex registered what about trainers who don't have pokedex like Brock and Misty?

So people eat Pokemon? At least Ash fears Oak will eat his Krabby and Oak doesn't dismiss the notion other than Krabby being too small.

On top of that in a (dub only) line Brock says he's making bacon double cheeseburger for the group. I guess at this point real world animals still exist since we've seen fish and worms at least and other real world animals have been referenced but I can't help but thinking a Milktank and Tepig had died to feed Ash and company. Do Pokemon rights activist exist? Team Plasma doesn't count.

Bill has a drawing of a Mewtwo at his door. The real world answer is the first movie probably wasn't thought of yet but in universe no one but Giovanni and the scientist hired were suppose to know Mewtwo exist (if he even existed at all at this point) so odd....

If Bill knows so much you would think he'd recognize the silhouette of a Dragonite.

On the first question, they probably get sent to their gym, though it's just my guess. I believe the second question is more a case of early installment weirdness (that or it's a dub change).

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
On the first question, they probably get sent to their gym, though it's just my guess. I believe the second question is more a case of early installment weirdness (that or it's a dub change).

I figured that a Zukan (Pokedex) was needed to transfer Pokemon, however. Of course, we'll never know for sure how the storage feature works in the anime for side characters like Kasumi and Takeshi.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
Funny how Bill had a Kabuto costume even though the species was meant to be extinct. I gotta say, I found his forced British accent super annoying.

It was an extinct Pokemon sure, yet it was apparently well-known since the Zukan had information on Kabuto when Satoshi scanned it in the Ptera episode.

The Krabby part of the episode after Ash ran away from his friends and caught the wild Krabby was funny. I didn't think that trainers could catch Pokemon manually like that without weakening them first. Bill's lighthouse replacing his cottage from the games was interesting and the Dragonite moments when it approached the lighthouse made me scared as a kid. Team Rocket really messed up Bill's chance of meeting Dragonite when they used their bazookas against it. 8/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
It's hilarious that Bill literally had a whole chart showing 150 Pokemon from Kanto with Dragonite right there at the bottom of it, but for some reason he could not tell that the mystery Pokemon was a Dragonite. o_O

That part was kind of confusing, although I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since the Kairyu's huge size in this episode might've made it difficult to identify as that species.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerGoldenhandtheJust said:
Guess we now know the answer
It was a dynamaxed dragonite!

I wish that the giant Kairyu here could've actually been foreshadowing for that feature, although I can only assume that the Kairyu got to be that massive because of its diet or some random mutation similar to Godzilla.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Or age. People used to think certain reptiles, like alligators & crocodiles, kept growing their entire lifespan.

Dragonite was giant because at that time the writers had no problem with adding giant Pokémon, is Gen l anime, after all. Pokemon was still maturing..

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ragnarok4 said:
Dragonite was giant because at that time the writers had no problem with adding giant Pokémon, is Gen l anime, after all. Pokemon was still maturing..

They've never really had a problem showcasing giant Pokemon in general considering that we've seen plenty of giant Pokemon throughout the series even outside of OS and Pocket Monsters 2019. But in hindsight I think that maybe the reason why the wild Kairyu was so big was that the writers wanted it to be more intimidating and mysterious, and making it huge was the only way to achieve that.

I can't imagine the last three minutes of the episode being quite as memorable if the Kairyu had been regular sized for instance.