• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mystery on a Deserted Island! (796)

An00bis

Wicked Witch
You know that the fandom is starved for a good battle when a maybe 30 second battle is the highlight of an episode.

When was the last time Ninetales made a major appearance?

Just Waiting for a Friend in Johto.

I still don't know why we couldn't have had a Pikachu and Thudnerstone close call moment or Cilan getting a Leaf Stone for future use.

They already did the former in Best Wishes.

I guess the latter not happening closes the door on Pansage evolving before the end of Unova.

I loved the episode. It was so cute with the Eevee and how they evolved at the ending was so cool. Ninetales looked so majestic and elegant, it was amazing. :D Might just use one if it's in the Kalos dex. I was a little disappointed that there weren't that many Pokemon that evolved from stones in this episodes, only the ones that were owned by that pirate guy appeared. Anyways, I give it an 85 out of 100.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
You know that the fandom is starved for a good battle when a maybe 30 second battle is the highlight of an episode.

Sounds about right.

I'll scope out the good and say that I liked seeing Pokemon that we normally don't see often. Ninetales and Shiftry of course, but Honchkrow and Mismagius too despite being introduced last gen.

And I'll take whatever battling we can get at this point, a sad acceptance. I'm really not fond of the starters appearing when Boldore and Palpitoad could have replaced Pignite and Oshawott, but you gotta milk the merch during the funeral march. Props for Snivy though.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
What's wrong with this fanbase? It's a wild Ninetales, it spammed Flamethrower and Hidden Power, and suddenly the majority here is all ecstatic because Charizard has won a battle. I repeat, WILD NINETALES. Pignite beat a wild Shiftry, and Snivy beat a wild Mismagius - And you don't see me jumping for joy. It's a wild Ninetales, get real people (read Eevee-Silveon, Lucario at Service, Royal Qeca, Lucas MV, Charizard-Fan, though I guess the latter can be excused). Charizard has still done zero of note in his cameo appearance. Twenty episodes already, and NOTHING to show for.

I agree. It was a wild Pokemon so it doesn't really count for much. My previous comments about "glorification" seem oddly relevant now though.

Anyway, this episode was a complete waste of time imo. Nothing happened to progress the plot and even the "cute" and "funny" moments felt tiresome and unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. Oh and the constant Eevee marketing was ridiculous imo. Yeah we get it, that evolutionary line is super popular at the moment but do we have to see them in the anime all the time? Really. Also that pentagram on the mountain will almost definitely get edited in the English dub; that place seriously looked like a wiccan ritual ground or something.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Wait the treasure was just some fancy rocks? I at least expected piles of gold.

Evolution stones are expensive.

Yea, this was pretty much just a marketing episode. Not much happened.

Not really actually I though it was going to be bascily because of the Eevees but the Eevees didnt really get much focus, they got saved. just traveled with the kids, ddin't have many I'm cute and marketable moments and then at the end evolved, it was an adventure episode with some battles.

Rohanator

@Locormus/Charmed: What the hell is wrong with people being happy? Good lord.

Good episode, short battles but at least Ash used most of his on hand Pokes. I liked TR's gag at the end cause it showed them being nice to their Pokemon. Woulda been better if they were about to call out Amoonguss and Frillish though before getting blasted, just to acknowledge that they do have other Pokes lol.

Hidden Power is a standard competitive move for Mismagius and Ninetales so I ain't complaining.:] Standard sets. Optimal plays. Scrubs getting popped. That's what I like to see.:]]

Last edited:

Lucas MV

I agree. It was a wild Pokemon so it doesn't really count for much.

What's wrong with this fanbase? It's a wild Ninetales, it spammed Flamethrower and Hidden Power, and suddenly the majority here is all ecstatic because Charizard has won a battle. I repeat, WILD NINETALES. Pignite beat a wild Shiftry, and Snivy beat a wild Mismagius - And you don't see me jumping for joy. It's a wild Ninetales, get real people (read Eevee-Silveon, Lucario at Service, Royal Qeca, Lucas MV, Charizard-Fan, though I guess the latter can be excused). Charizard has still done zero of note in his cameo appearance. Twenty episodes already, and NOTHING to show for.

I Just can't believe how desperate people are grasping for straws here.. "Charizard really owned that Ninetales".. If that Ninetales was a trained pokemon, then yeah, sure, finally something we can attribute to Charizard, but really all it has done in its return is an unfinished battle against Iris' Dragonite. Stop overtly glorifying something that's barely a feat.

SNIVY REALLY OWNED THAT MISMAGIUS, FINALLY A WIN FOR SNIVY! SNIVY SNIVY SNIVY!!! <- See how ridiculous this looks? "Charizard avoided all attacks" - Not true, and who cares.. Charizard fell into a volcano once and didn't get hurt.. I doubt a Flamethrower by a wild Ninetales was going to do anything regardless.

Ninetales wasn't a wild pokemon. It was the pirate's Vulpix evolved. Probably the pirate died and his Ninetales became a wild Pokemon. But before that it was trained, and most likely stronger than the rest of the pokemon in that island. So it does count for something.

Let people be happy, for f-uck sake.

XXD17

Draco rex
Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Question...Did that ninetales know hidden power AND energy ball? the hidden power was obvious but the one right before the one shot at the gang before charizard was called out looked like an energy ball: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2872/9377356712_22450bebc8_m.jpg ...it's not in the pictures posted on serebii...but the hidden power that followed it is: http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/bestwishes/796/DP253.jpg
I think both were Hidden Power, but I really can't tell atm. I really wish they would change up the animation of Hidden Power, it looks so cheap and pretty much every second Pokémon in this show seems to know it. -.-

XXD17

Draco rex
I think both were Hidden Power, but I really can't tell atm. I really wish they would change up the animation of Hidden Power, it looks so cheap and pretty much every second Pokémon in this show seems to know it. -.-

Energy ball has a hazy green center and faint rings...hidden power has the sparkles on the inside...you can check leavanny's

Energy Ball is an explosive move, even if it's x0.25 effective on Charizard, the explosion will hurt it. That's what happened over there. Other than, Charizard took the attack pretty well.

I liked the episode very much. It was pointless, yes, but it was also entertaining to me. Alexa's character was more concrete in this episode than the last one. She seems to be a matured version of Bianca. There are a few hints of ditsy-ness covered up by maturity. And what is up with her and her laptop? Do, the writers like to show her laptop that much?

And TR, god they were really trolling (in a fun way) this episode. When they blasted off for the first time, I thought "Phew, they are gone for this ep" because they blasted off hastily in the last ep too, but they popped out of nowhere in the end and recited their oh so boring motto. Then when I was about to facepalm, Woobat and Deathmas(forgot the english name :x) were shown to be exhausted after all that battling. Yeah that was awkward, even for comedic TR.

I loved the minor Charizard fanservice. He was doing nothing and did something this episode. The Ninetales seems to be a strong one, but Ash and Charizard pulled off a few good moves. Naruto needs a Charizard to stop Kyuubi . I am surprised they didn't over do the "Pokemon are good" mantra and actually attacked the wild Pokemon mercilessly. I mean they did it before, but it still seemed fresh for some reason.

jrizza88

Meteorite
Ninetales wasn't a wild pokemon. It was the pirate's Vulpix evolved. Probably the pirate died and his Ninetales became a wild Pokemon. But before that it was trained, and most likely stronger than the rest of the pokemon in that island. So it does count for something.

Let people be happy, for f-uck sake.

I agree, and Charizard was dealt with a bit of damage, hence the black/slightly not in 100% best shape appearance Charizard had while fighting. Anyway, I think that Ninetails was powerful. I remember some wild pokemon being really strong, like the one torterra fought in one of those exploratory episodes.

Anyway, it was a decent battle/ filler-esque episode.

RVD_fan

This episode to me stood out as an example of a fun episode in concept that was really hurt by the over-the-top, hyperbolic animation of the battles in Best Wishes. Attack animations are so fast and attacks are so explosive that every battle takes seconds each. It's one thing if it's just beating up Team Rocket, but the Pokemon on the island should've been a lot more difficult to get past instead of just throwing hidden powers around and getting taken out in one hit (even the final battle between Charizard and Nintales, despite three attacks each, was so quick you could barely register it).

I still enjoyed the episode, but I really hope they address this sort of thing in XY.

jrizza88

Meteorite
This episode to me stood out as an example of a fun episode in concept that was really hurt by the over-the-top, hyperbolic animation of the battles in Best Wishes. Attack animations are so fast and attacks are so explosive that every battle takes seconds each. It's one thing if it's just beating up Team Rocket, but the Pokemon on the island should've been a lot more difficult to get past instead of just throwing hidden powers around and getting taken out in one hit (even the final battle between Charizard and Nintales, despite three attacks each, was so quick you could barely register it).

I still enjoyed the episode, but I really hope they address this sort of thing in XY.

Omg yes!!! The battles should have been far more intense. Snivy/Dragonite should have hed to deal with dodgy ghosts, Pignite should have had a fight with the Shiftry that would have forced him to use a fire pledge at his last breath before a KO to defeat the group of Shiftry?, or what about Charizard vs. Ninetales? I wish there was more damage dealt maybe.

Sidenote: The anime makes Dragontail really strong for non stab pokemon (Charizard, Serperior).

Last edited:

Pokegirl0102

This is episode was better than i expected and i am really loving Alexa tagging along with the gang, while i enjoyed all of the mini battles i wished Charizard vs Ninetales could have gotten more time since it was really starting to get good, and i am also so excited for the genesect movie and XY sneak peak coming on today.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Cilan, your Pansage was this close to becoming Elvis. Don't you remember how you put the poor thing against a sumo Pokémon?

This was a pretty decent episode, but that Charizard VS. Ninetales fight should've been longer... Also, I dislike Ninetales saying its name. It just doesn't sound right.

SmartD

The treasures Team Rocket talked about made me think of the games. It was a good episodes.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It was a good episode. It would have been nice if Pansage evolved though.