• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mythology

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
This is a thread to discuss Mythology.

Every week there will be a new topic, if you want to start the next weeks topic Pm me with the your idea of a topic.

Like usuall lets keep the rules the same for this thread like any other thread, with some add ons.

The thread topic ideas will be put in a poll if there is more than one idea.

I would like to start this weeks topic.

Greek Mythology, Hercules's Tasks.

Ok, Would you have done any of tasks?
Wich one would you do?

If I would have done any of them I would have taken on the Nemanian Lion, and defeating the Hydra.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
This is a thread to discuss Mythology.

Every week there will be a new topic, if you want to start the next weeks topic Pm me with the your idea of a topic.

Like usuall lets keep the rules the same for this thread like any other thread, with some add ons.

The thread topic ideas will be put in a poll if there is more than one idea.

I would like to start this weeks topic.

Greek Mythology, Hercules's Tasks.

Ok, Would you have done any of tasks?
Wich one would you do?

If I would have done any of them I would have taken on the Nemanian Lion, and defeating the Hydra.

Killing the Nemean Lion isn't as hard as you'd think nowadays. It can't be killed by bronze, stone or iron. However you could still use poison or acid on it

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
Yeah I understand, I would like to wrestle it any ways not kill it.
I would take samples while wrestling to study it as well not kill it.

MoonSong

Frosty the Ninetales
I'd go with capturing Cerebrus, the 12th labor. Cerebrus would actually be an exciting creature to study, I'm assuming that due to its unusual habitat (The Underworld), it would have developed characteristics that would allow it to survive in such a gloomy environment for such a long time.

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
Thats cool, wouldn't try to because I don't like snakes but it would be interesting to study.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
I'd go with capturing Cerebrus, the 12th labor. Cerebrus would actually be an exciting creature to study, I'm assuming that due to its unusual habitat (The Underworld), it would have developed characteristics that would allow it to survive in such a gloomy environment for such a long time.

This. I adore Cerberus (hence why I was gutted that Mega Houndoom didn't get two other heads) and would like to see it for myself. It's the sort of creature that I'd probably ride into battle upon as my mount!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
This. I adore Cerberus (hence why I was gutted that Mega Houndoom didn't get two other heads) and would like to see it for myself. It's the sort of creature that I'd probably ride into battle upon as my mount!

I thought Houndoom was based on the hellhound, not Cerebus

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
I thought Houndoom was based on the hellhound, not Cerebus
Yeah Houndoom is based off of a hellhound, not Cerebus.Anyways the hellhounds were giant deadly gaurd dogs of Hades's house in the Underworld.Cerebus just allows people in, but keeps them from going out ( ''He'' { I am guessing its a he } can eat souls if he needs to, to keep them there. )

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
I know that Houndoom's not based off of Cerberus, but it still would've been a nice touch if they had done something like that imo (in fact part of me thinks that it might actually be based off of the Black Shuck, which was a variant of hellhound from the east of England, its the same colour and has the same motive as the Black Shuck).

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
Yeah that would have been awesome but still, they target this game series for younger kids.
It would be really cool though if they made some games for more mature players.

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
I think that next week's topic should be Hawaiian Mythology because of the new Sun and Moon, anyone else like the thought?

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
So is there any favorite god/ goddess that you like?
Why?
Also if you were a god what would be your domain, powers, name, and what would be your sacred stuff( animals, trees or anything else)

Jinjer

my favorite goddess is nu wa, well just about any earth goddess i guess

as for my own portfolio, i like the idea of being a moon deity, being there shining light on people in the middle of the night and guiding them and stuff

Orphalesion

it's difficult, there's plenty of Pagan gods I find admirable, interesting or attractive in some way or other, yet they are all so flawed most I've read about a frequently capricious and cruel.

I do like Athena, with her wisdom and resourcefulness, plus she's one of the more decent Greek gods, unless you boast that you're better than her, then she gets very cranky.

I also like Dionysus, which might be strange because I'm a teetotaler who hasn't been drunk in his entire life, but thing is he's not just the god of wine; he's the god of theatre, freedom, ecstasy, revelry, rejuvenation and rebirth, trans- and homosexuality (seriously, some hymns describe him as dressing and behaving like a woman), transformation, release, transcendence and (by association) a spring deity. That guy sounds alright, even if he was a drunkard. Also can't really recall a story about Dionysus being cruel, he could be dangerous because of his very nature, but he wasn't jealous and angry like the other Olympians. He's pretty much a divine bohemian.

Persephone and Hades are cool. Even if Hades was the lord of the Underworld, he was one of the nicer members of the Olympic Pantheon, could grant mortal fabulous riches (he was also the lord of precious metals) and, bar one obscure myth, he was the only Greek god who has never cheated on his wife.
Persephone meanwhile is another deity associated with rejuvenation, rebirth and transcendence and in some versions of the myths she was the mother of Dionysus' first incarnation.

Then there's the obscure goddess Leto, about whom there's very little known but who one poet described her as "Leto, who is always kind to gods and mortal men, kind from her beginning, gentlest goddess of all Olympus" She sounds nice. Of course, it doesn't take much to be the "gentlest goddess of Olympus" theoretically all you have to do is not actively harm people and you've won already, but Leto sounds like she goes out of her way to be nice to people.

Hypnos and Thanatos, the (stunningly beautiful) twin gods of sleep and death. Interestingly the Ancient Greeks thought that sleep and dreaming was the happiest state a mortal could achieve and always depicted sleeping people as looking very happy. And then they went ahead and made Death the twin brother of Sleep...

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
That interesting, I prefer Nut, (no not a nut, the goddess) Egyptian goddess of the sky and mother of her five god children (I can't remember how to spell their names correctly so I wont try).The sky has always been beautiful but I think she's better than a cheating Zues or than Uranus who got choped up bu his titan children and had his balls cut of and thrown in the sea( there are some stories saying that thats when Aprhodite arose from the sea, from his stuff) ( ouch by the way)

Does alchemy count as mythology? I'm gonna count it as mythology.

It's a damn cool thing, what can I say? Fullmetal Alchemist is cool, plus the whole elements thing the turning metal into gold bit and how much it ties in to Pokemon Sun/Moon. The only things I'm not too keen on are the heavy Christian influences (I don't believe in god or Jesus) or the elixir of life. Chimeras are cool, but I don't think they should exist in real life. The rest I'm cool with.

Orphalesion

Does alchemy count as mythology? I'm gonna count it as mythology.

It's a damn cool thing, what can I say? Fullmetal Alchemist is cool, plus the whole elements thing the turning metal into gold bit and how much it ties in to Pokemon Sun/Moon. The only things I'm not too keen on are the heavy Christian influences (I don't believe in god or Jesus) or the elixir of life. Chimeras are cool, but I don't think they should exist in real life. The rest I'm cool with.

Alchemy itself isn't a mythology but it has a mythology attached to it. Alchemy itself was really just primitive chemistry that used fantastical metaphors and myths to explain simple processes. I'm not subscribing to the Christian interpretation of the divine either, but parts of Judaic and Christian (particularly Catholic) mythology are quite interesting. Lots of freaky looking demons and angels and stuff and obscure references that can be interpreted in a really dark way.

The Unknown Twinkie

Lilligant is so cute
So is there any favorite god/ goddess that you like?
Why?
Also if you were a god what would be your domain, powers, name, and what would be your sacred stuff( animals, trees or anything else)

She's not a Goddess but I love Medusa. She's my absolute favorite Mythological being.

Orphalesion

She's not a Goddess but I love Medusa. She's my absolute favorite Mythological being.

Well she used to be a goddess at one point. During the Minoan Age (before the people we now call Ancient Greeks arrived in Greece) the female figure with snake hair and boar tusks that later evolved into Medusa was known as the "Mistress of Animals", the Goddess of all wild animals and of the hunt, as well as protector against evil spirits (she was ugly so that she could scare away ghosts and the like).
The Ancient Greeks adopted that goddess and took all they liked about her and turned her into Artemis, everything they didn't like about her they demonized and turned into Medusa and her sisters, the Gorgons. In most known classical Greek sources Medusa and her sisters were the daughters of an titanic sea god and had another triad of sisters, the Graeae, three old hags who shared an eye and a tooth and had a taste for human meat. They all lived in North Afirca. After Medusa was killed Athena wore her head on her breastplate.
In some version Echidna, the mother of most of the more famous Greek monsters was also their sister, as well as the Hesperides, beautiful Nymphs that lived in a Garden which, to some Greeks was part of the Afterlife.
One Helenistic historian tried to rationalize the legend by claiming the Gorgons had really been a prehistoric tribe of African Amazons of whom Medusa had been the most famous queen and who waged war with the Atlanteans and were later destroyed by the Greeks, but that's of course just fiction.

Then later the Romans wrote some fanfiction in which they made Medusa a human priestess of Minerva/Athena who was raped by Neptune/Poseidon and was transformed into her hideous form, instead of being born that way like in the original.

Last edited: