• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mythos Fakemon

Ket Shi

Come on and SLAM!
Fakemon are all the rage these days. It's fun to throw out your own ideas for a region. Some of these ideas I've had around for years, so I'm finally putting them here. Many of them are based on obscure animals or mythological creatures.

I will include thumbnails of the Fakemon, their name origins, and commentary. I may also put up unfinished ones so that I can get some advice.
Please give constructive criticism! I'm always looking for a way to improve my ideas. If you think a pose is too boring, a name is too simple, an idea too weird for a Pokémon, or a color selection is off, please do tell me, and be specific.

Also of note is that I have introduced Light type. The Light type is not a "holy" sort but revolves more around sunlight, flashes, and beams of light (much like how Dark is not about evil, but mysteriousness and slyness). Its strengths and weaknesses are mainly present to give Ice, Steel, and Poison more use.
Strong against: Dark, Ghost (my apologies to Sableye and Spiritomb)
Resisted by: Steel, Ice
Weak to: Poison, Steel
Resists: Ghost, Dark

Enjoy!​

= The Starters =

Caprikid (Capri [goat]+ Kid) Grass type: "Caprikids are quite mischievous and playful. They enjoy climbing on top of nearby objects and eating anything in sight, much to the dismay of people."
Goathorn (Goat + Thorn) Grass type: No picture yet.
"Its budding horns are dull yet, and not much use in combat. Instead, it uses its thorn-covered legs to launch painful kicks."

Thorbex (Thorn + Ibex) Grass type: "Its massive horns are actually constructed of thick, barbed vines. They are almost immune from predator attack, due to their formidable defenses."

I was originally planning on having a line of Grass raccoons as my starters, but then I realized an interesting connection I could make with my other starters... These fellows are based off of domestic goats and the last stage, the ibex.

Cuburn (Cub + Burn) Fire type: "Cuburns have a bib of fluffy red fur, which can suddenly heat up if the Cuburn becomes alarmed. Cuburns have a dull, hardened blade at the end of their tail, which they can use to smack and stun enemies with."

Pyrounce (Pyro + Pounce) Fire type: "Their favorite method of attack is sneaking up and ambushing unwary prey. The blade at the end of a Pyrounce's tail is slightly sharp, but it is used more as a bludgeon for stunning than to cut."

Lavion (Lava + Lion) Fire/Steel type: "Lavions can pour torrents of fire out of their mouth to disable their prey. They also can use their jagged metal claws or sharp, scythe-like bladed tail to fight in close range. A Lavion's mane is strangely warm to the touch."

Yeah, I know, a fire lion line! How original! But, keeping a line of starter lions was important for a theme I'm trying to make. Additionally, the spots on Cuburn's fur imitate real lion cubs, who are born with spotted coats.

Surpen (Surf + Serpent) Water type: "Surpens are much more at home in water than on land, but they will use their strong forelimbs and hooked claws to move about out of water. Surpen are more even-tempered than they look."

Serpion (Serpent) Water/Poison: "Serpions have evolved powerful front limbs, making it nearly impossible to escape one's grip. Fishermen hate encountering Serpion at sea, as they often snare up fishing nets and are difficult to untangle without getting clawed or bitten."

Tsunamigon (Tsunami + Dragon) Water/Poison: "With the evolution of a second pair of legs, this Pokémon is comfortable at both land and water. The bold behavior of Tsunamigons was once an inspiration for sailors, who would sometimes wear clothes patterned after their distinctive stripes."

These guys are based on sea snakes (which are striped) and a kind of burrowing lizard that lacks back legs, but has a set of front limbs to tunnel with. This completes my theme: a goat, a lion, and a snake...

= Others =

Anchilla (Andes + Chinchilla) Normal type: "Anchilla are famous for their marvelously soft fur. They are quite popular as pets, due to their friendly nature and cuddliness."

Wiskacha (Whisker + Viscacha) Normal type: "Wiskachas may look lazy to the uninformed eye, but this is just a facade to fool unwary predators. Their keen ears ensure that they're rarely caught off-guard."

The region's Rattata line. The viscacha, a relative to the chinchilla, is quite a bizarre looking animal - it looks very much like a Pokémon as it is!

Purchin (Purple + Urchin) Water type: "Purchins move slowly about the seafloor, vacuuming up nutrients as they travel. If threatened, Purchins will pull in their delicate face and fins and expose their sharp spines."

Seakidna (Sea + Echidna [a spiny mammal]): "Though they are clumsy swimmers, their large fins allow more mobility. Seakidna use the same tactic as their pre-evolution Purchin when threatened, but a Seakidna can also gore the offender with its horns."

Yahoo, more water types! I gave a relatively expressionless creature a softer feel.

Kitgriff (Kitten + Griffin) Normal/Flying: "Kitgriffs are hard to find, as they are usually hidden in a nest high atop trees. If an intruder approaches the nest, the parent Tigriffs will attempt to drive them away."

Tigriff (Tiger + Griffin) Normal/Flying: "Tigriffs are very protective of their young, and both male and female feed and protect them. Their regal appearance has made them popular as mascots, and, further in the past, as a symbol of nobility."

Griffins are a popular mythological creature. I wonder why there isn't an official griffin Pokémon yet? Anyways, the markings on Kitgriff's forehead are like a tabby cat's.

Perilisk (Perilous + Basilisk) Ground/Poison: "Legend says that Perilisks can stun foes with a glare, but it has never been confirmed. However, the paralyzing poison their claws release is believed to be the source of the rumor."

A little twist on the traditional basilisk.

Chikatrice (Chick + Cockatrice) Normal/Flying: "Chikatrices are disarmingly cute. However, one must not look into their eyes if one becomes upset, because an angry look from them is actually quite frightening."

Hoazatrice (Hoatzin + Cockatrice) Poison/Flying: "A Hoazatrice's eyes have the strange power of causing revulsion and fear. The hooks on their wings appear to be useless, but scientists are trying to discover their original purpose."

A cockatrice line to match the basilisk. Hoazatrice takes some colors and features from the bizarre hoatzin bird.

Draconid (Dragon-like) Dragon: "Draconids are apt pupils. They carefully emulate the teachings of their trainers, and are especially receptive to competing in contests."

Solomond (Salamander) Dragon/Fire: "Solomonds are small, but they are very aggressive. If one gets very angry, their fiery wings will flare up."

Blizzaden (Blizzard + Dragon) Dragon/Ice: "A Blizzaden's horns are actually sharpened icicles. While they're too fragile to use as weapons, Blizzadens polish them and make them shine in an attempt to make themselves look beautiful."

Aurosar (Aura + Dinosaur): Dragon/Psychic: "An Aurosar's blue tendrils are constantly in motion, even in sleep. Supposedly, they function like whiskers, constantly gathering information about the Pokémon's surroundings."

The Draconid line. Finally, some contest evolutions to match the oddly lonely Milotic. Of course, since there are 6 members in total in this evolution line, you won't be seeing many other dragons in this series. Some of the typings and contest stat correlations may seem weird, but that's because I was more interested in tying together the characteristic colors the contest stats and types are represented as.

Dizzoso (Dizzy + Oso [bear]) Normal type: "Dizzosos have a unsteady, shambling gait. Their strange movements, combined with their fixed smiles, makes them difficult to predict."

Spindas have some interesting potential, but they are too weak to use seriously. An evolution would go a long way to making Spindas more useful. Though Spindas are bipedal, I knocked Dizzoso down to four legs as to make it not too similar to Ursaring. Dizzoso would retain the unique spots of Spinda. The bared teeth is a motif found in animal figures from South America, and I figured it would be an interesting addition.

Calffint (Calf + Infant) Normal type: "Calffints may be small, but they're surprisingly powerful. Their favorite food is Moomoomilk - trainers raising Calffints are advised to keep a steady supply of it on hand."

Tauros and Miltank, together at last! I tried integrating features and colors of both into this little fellow. At maximum happiness, it will turn into a Tauros is male and a Miltank if female.

Gleamur (Gleam + Lemur) Light/Fighting: "Gleamurs can spend half of their daylight hours basking in the sun, which stores solar energy in their bodies. They travel in large family groups."

Real ring tailed lemurs are avid sunbathers. They also enter into territory wars with other family groups of ring tailed lemurs, and have ferocious fights, thus the Fighting type.

Blockost (Block + Ghost) Ghost/Fighting: "Blockosts can float a short distance off the ground, but their heavy arms limit how high they can rise. Their arms can easily deflect attacks and launch powerful counterattacks."

All Fighting type Pokémon are scrappy bipedal creatures. However, due to this creature's ghostly nature, it doesn't need legs so much, as it can use its huge arms for blocking and punching. This Pokémon would be defensively oriented and single-stage.

Lurkal (Lurk + Jackal) Dark type: "Lurkals often gather just outside of cities at night, searching for any scraps people have left behind. Their golden-toned fur easily identifies them in the dark."

Judgmut (Judgment + Ammut) Psychic/Dark type: "Judgmuts have a very vindicative nature. They have little tolerance for
trainers that make poor decisions, and they've acquired a reputation for turning upon bad-hearted trainers."

Lurkal is the combination of a golden jackal and the ancient Egyptian depictions of Anubis. Judgmut is based upon Ammut, a creature in Egyptian mythology composed of three dangerous creatures (hippo, lion, crocodile) that would eat the hearts of those unworthy of passing to the afterlife. Its colors are muted to reflect upon its rather ghastly origin.

Naljar (Nocturnal + Nightjar) Normal/Flying: "The bristles on their beak help funnel flying insects into its mouth when they hunt. If a Naljar closes their eyes and sit still on a tree branch, they blend in so well that it's almost impossible to spot one."

Naljar is based upon the birds from the bizarre "nightjar" family, which features tiny beaks, huge mouths, big eyes, and mottled feathers. They're nocturnal and superbly camouflaged, so they're hard to see.

Mawglodon (Maw + Megalodon) Water/Dark type: "The skin of a Mawglodon consists of tiny, tooth-like structures, giving it a dangerously sharp texture. When they mature to adults, they are the top predators of their territories."

Sharpedo has an interesting ability, but its fragile defenses mean it can't make good use of it. Mawglodon is mostly a defensive upgrade. Poor defenses aside, Sharpedo is decent, but I think it needed a little more oomph! Anyways, the megalodon is a giant, extinct shark.

= Legendaries =

Pegazuum (Pegasus + Zoom) Light/Flying type: "This Pokémon is rarely seen, as it is usually flying high in the clouds. In legends, it is described as serving as the mount of a great hero."

Based off Pegasus of Greek myth, with a little unicorn in it. In Greek mythology, Pegasus served as the steed of Bellerophon, who used the horse's flying advantage to slay the terrible chimera. (And no, the chimera Fakemon I am making will have no ties with Pegazuum...)

Kelsea (Kelpie + Sea) Water/Ghost type: "Kelsea loves playing tricks on humans. It lures humans into sitting on its back, then dumps them into the ocean. After it's had its fun, it deposits its victims back on the seashore."

Unusually, this is a legendary that goes out of its way to be seen by people. A kelpie/hippocampus mix, the hippocampus being a literal "seahorse" from Greek mythology, and the kelpie a malevolent and ghostly water-based horse from Celtic mythology. The "real" kelpie isn't so kind to its victims, but this is Pokémon. :)

Shocknir (Sleipnir + Shock) Dark/Electric: "Legends abound about this Pokémon's origins because of its bizarre anatomy. Amazingly, Shocknir can keep all six legs working perfectly in concert when it runs, giving it otherworldly speed."

Sleipnir was the 8-legged steed of Odin in Norse mythology. What are his origins? Let's just say it involved a twisted trickster god...

Hyderion (Hydra + Hyperion [a Greek titan]) Poison type: "Hyderion's heads are so useful with manipulating objects that its arms have withered from disuse. The more agitated it gets, the more heads it sprouts from its body."

The hydra was a monstrous snake with an endless supply of heads in Greek mythology. Hercules was tasked to slay the beast, and he found the only way to defeat it was to singe each neck stump with a torch as he severed it, or otherwise it would produce more and more heads. Hyderion imitates that ability by typically only having one head. As it HP drops to 66% and 33%, it sprouts a new head, upping its offensive power.

Ragnarogg (Ragnarok + Nidhogg) Dragon/Poison type: "Ragnarogg embodies the force of destruction. It is constantly beleaguering its polar opposite, Ashdrasil."

This would be one half of the powerful legendary duo, much like Kyogre and Groudon. Nidhogg is a dragon from Norse mythology that spends its days chewing upon the roots of the world tree Yggdrasil (which will be embodied in a Fakemon called Ashdrasil).

Last edited:
I get it! they're supposed to be like a chymera, right? No? Whatever. The only thing that bothers me is that you say Surpen and Surpion too many times in their 'dex entries.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
they're good!

the only criticism is that you should improve more on Caprikid family line, because they look too much like real animals sporting growths of thorn.

I like the image for Lavion, so please don't change Lavion or Purpounce's images no matter what the others say!

Ket Shi

Come on and SLAM!
Good point on repeating the names too often - fixed it! And yes, the theme is "chimera". I'm planning to make a chimera legendary based on a combination of the final forms of these fellows that would work a little like Kecleon.

The goats look too much like the real thing? I was thinking that could be an issue, since I only came up their designs very recently, as opposed to the others which I've been thinking about for a while.

Here is the idea I had for Goathorn:

Got any tips for abstracting them, and making them look less real?

I wonder how they would look with multiple heads...*speculation*

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
maybe you can add some dangerous looking flower on goathorn and thorbex or something. i mean, it would add a bit more colour to it (i've got no objection to caprikid's colour scheme tho).

There all really cool and I particularly like the fire line. I like the blades at the and of the tails.

The thorns were a nice touch on the grass starter line.

The water line is really cool and I can't wait to see what the final evo will look like.

Keep it up!

Bekki

They are not that bad. Wish I could do fake pokemon but I can't. Keep up the good work and you will get better. Wait a minute. What the heck am I saying they are good.

Ket Shi

Come on and SLAM!
Here is the final Water stage evolution, Tsunamigon.

"With the evolution of a second pair of legs, this Pokémon is comfortable at both land and water. The swift and bold behavior of Tsunamigons was once an inspiration for sailors, who would sometimes wear clothes patterned after their distinctive stripes."

I really like your grass starters. They have nice designs and are original (most people I see try to have some type of grass/flying starter or something). I like the overall design of the final stage of the water line as well.

Ket Shi

Come on and SLAM!
I've added a new Pokémon to the roster: Anchilla! See my original post.

For Tsunamigon's picture: You're right, SamuraiDragon1. I'm not entirely pleased with its picture, I'm probably going to remake it at some point.

As for making the grass goat line more interesting, I'm experimenting with a flower, as suggested.

Does that make it look interesting, or does it just look silly?

Spriteman

Sometimes a bit rude
It should be a more aggressive, dangerous looking flower. Not because it looks girly, but because if an animal irl had one, it would be for warding off predators.

They're real nice! I just love their looks but the grass line is a little plain, could look more like a pokemon. I love your fire line (cuties) and the water line is all great! Except the fact that the third evo don't show up on my computer.

Ket Shi

Come on and SLAM!
Well, then, I'll try further working on the Grass line later.

For now, there's two new additions to the roster in the OP: Purchin and Seakidna.

Ket Shi

Come on and SLAM!
I might as well explain my idea for the legendary trio. There has been birds, beasts, golems, and fairies now. What would be a good extra trio?

My idea is legendary horses, since they are rich in legends and folklore. Namely,
- Pegasus, the flying horse from Greek mythology (perhaps with some unicorn).
- Sleipnir, the 8-legged steed of Odin from Norse mythology.
- A kelpie/hippocampus mix, the hippocampus being a literal "seahorse" from Greek mythology, and the kelpie a malevolent and ghostly water-based horse from Celtic mythology.

But, the problem is that I am not used to drawing horses, thus my designs for the things are rather bland. I'd love some feedback on how to make their designs more interesting.

Shocknir (Sleipnir + Shock): Electric/Dark

Kelsea (Kelpie + Sea): Water/Ghost

Pegazuum (Pegasus + Zoom): Light/Flying