• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Myths and Legends: The One shot contest! - CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Saffire Persian - As long as it's based around one of the listed legendaries then yes. You can take it up however you like, both genre, perspective wise and plot. Like as a random example, you could write something a bit like my Arasthe One Shot where what it is isn't actually linked until the final line but a tale is being woven about them throughout without it maybe being realised.

This means that if you want to write more out the box you are perfectly welcome to do so.

Kairi - You know I only just remembered about the previous when I was reading a magazine before before I went to sleep last night >> The answer is yes if you wish as long as it fits the concept BUT it may also be a fun challenge to try something from scratch.
Nother thing I forgot to add but remembered away from the computer is I can and will exchange entries. This means that:

Submit one work, I list
You decide it isn't very good so write another one.
Submit the new work, I replace the orignal in the list.

For me it feels fairer since writting like art can go all over the shot sometimes meaning you might write even better later on :)

Judges are decided by me both in written skill that is of a good quality and any reviews. I will send a little thing over as well if I see a potential with a few questions to be absolutely sure i get a person who I feel will help contribute to fair judging. Here's hoping it works :D

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix - Unown technically are not legendary Pokemon. However, they could see be used in a way such as be the power of a legendary or a visable force of one more discrete.

Long as the legendary is still in there somewhere and it shows in the One Shot it would be very possible to pull it off. It's having a root and running with it to create something that I like to think is what this little contest is about. Thinking outside the box with just one element that needs to be there and being able to oevrcome any at fist seeming limitations :)

Psychic - Well it is 2 months and a bit ON TOP of it's run and with holidays coming up and half terms, hopefully enough time for those who want to enter both. I may extend it to the Friday of that week into Febuary but I need to check with a few things before I do anything.

And bless, don't worry I won't keep you from writting, hell I'm going to and I'm not allowed to enter, woe :D

Willow's Tara - up that's right, I don't want people to be orced to worry till the deadline if it's all right and miss out some potential good reviewing in the meantime. May also help spark ideas fo entrants so long as you mention for this contest, link here as well I'll be quite happy :)

Tomoyo Daidouji - As long as it can be classed a One Shot, doesn't matter if it ends up long or short, just make it the length you feel works for yours.

Right 'll go update the FAQ, you always rememebr these things when you're nowhere near a computer and it's the middle of the night D:

Sandra

Okay thanks I will post my entry now and PM once I put it up[...Well you probably know the pm first;)

Sybot

I'll be entering, as it'll be a good challenge for me. One-shots really aren't my style, I prefer to write long, multi-chaptered fics.

I'm glad for the deadline, since between uni, my current fic and two AARs (Hearts of Iron fanfic) I don't have time for much else.

Shuko

Pippi! Pi!
Does it have to be prose, or can we also write a poem/ballad? (Has something in mind along the lines of Beowulf xD). If not, it's totally understandable. ;) Good luck with the writing/judging in either case! ^^;

katiekitten

The Compromise
*drags up unfinished legend story* Finally, an excuse to finish this! XD

I'll probably enter. I thought I wouldn't be able to, as I don't have enough time to think up another plot with the story Sayonara a third of the way finished and a romance oneshot waiting to be written, but if I can finish Immortality, I will be very happy. XD

In other words, I wasn't going to enter, but now I will. XD

Shuko

Pippi! Pi!
Whay :D

Shuko - To be honest I've never seen Beowolf, do you have an example copy so I can see then I can properly yay nay it for you.

Sandra
Er... o.o Beowulf is a very old poem. One of (if not THE) oldest recorded works in literature.

How about I say that I was thinking of something along the lines of the Odyssey instead? :p Most people have heard of that.

I was just talking about making an "epic." I just couldn't think of the word at the time. xD

Btw, if you want to read Beowulf (it's awesome, btw), you may need to buy a translated text. It isn't long, but I doubt they'll have it available free online. :p

Unless it's British or Shakesphere/Chaucer nobody will say a word in schools :) Gawd I hated Chaucer so much...

I managed to track down/be shown some of the verse. If you could write it for so it's not absolute murder reading old english (Which unless you are very used to it you spend moe time trying to work out what you're reading, not good for a reader really :x) yet manage to still keep that way of telling, I see no reason you can't.

Chaucer about killed me with it's old english, don't think I could survive another one >>

Sandra

Mastercougar

The Infinite Fire
Suddenly you've got me very inspired. And remarkably, brave enough to actually participate in the fanforum. How cool is that?

I thought at first of the Bible-esque creation story I was working out, but then I recalled an older concept...

So anyway, I guess you can count me in for this contest! I have no idea how well I'll place, as I rarely do written fiction, but I'm reasonably confident in my abilities right now, and I'm willing to give this a try. I'm starting work on the story right now. I'll post it when it's done.

Yami Ryu

You know DK, you might have been better off keeping your idea to yourself, as imo just from the plot it looks boring.

<<' so yeah it's probably best to keep your plot 'secret' untill you write the story.

DK

DonkeysKidneys*dance
Yah, I just realised that >.< And I still haven't decided on if I'm doing that yet. Just one idea *shrugs*

Sounds cool. I may not be known by many as for fanfics, but I'll give it a shot. And you say that we can enter a one-shot of an ultimate battle? Hmm...maybe.

~fuzzy out~

Quackerdrill

say yes to love
'nother contest already? Either I need to be.... active more, or this place is going nuts. Prolly both. But meh- since that doesn't really matter, and contests are pretty darn awesome, I think I'll take a swing at it. I like how open this is compared to the genre contests. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of R/S/E stuff coming in... ugh. XD [/ugly opinion]

But yeah. And as for judges, since when do you nominate yourself? >_< Stop biting each other's heads off, guys. It doesn't matter who judges, it matters how awesome the one-shots are. yay!

Well a recent realisation for me as an artist as well did it really, I can't stand being gridlocked into YOU MUST DO THIS, I prefer TAKE THIS AND RUN WITH IT as it helps out everybody in the end :) Only problem is I keep being hit with ideas for my own contest :D

Hope you all enjoy yourselves everybody :)

Sandra

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
I'll enter the contest, it'll give me a challenge since I bearly use one-shots, but I'll give it my best

EDIT: Well, this is a surprise, I'm already writing my one-shot right now O_O. It may not fit in with any of the plot suggestions, but at least it has a plot. Hopefully I'll get it done by the end of this week

Last edited:

~*Nobody*~

samonsterX
*waves* HI I'll enter, legendary writing is my cup of tea. Though I don't drink tea... ANYWAY, I'll be entering. What I write though is still a mystery.

Literate

black cat, black cat
Well, I'll try to do this. And write my entry for the other contest.

Might take me 'til the deadline though. And I need a good idea to do.

-Lit

You don't HAVE to use any of the plot suggestions, they are just that, suggestions.

Gonna add another one thats been running around in my head for the past few days Robo-tech/cyborg legendary, runs so fast I have no idea what legendary it is :D

Sandra

DK

DonkeysKidneys*dance
Oh, no, actually, I withdraw :\ I've got too much going on right now. *shrugs* and I'm trying to write a story already so... yeah, I withdraw.

Remember, you have till Feburary to complete the One Shot, possibly into Febuary but I won;t have that confirmed or a little longer yet. Guilty myself, not even started, just got the research ready :S

Sandra

Status
Not open for further replies.