• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Names of 4th Gen Towns/Cities

I don't know if this board has been made bedore or whether this should be in another board, so I just made it.

Okay, so I was thinking about the names of the 4th generation towns and cities in Sinnoh and I thought they were a bit silly.

The beginning town is named Twinleaf, what sort of a name is that? Pallet town, that's great. And the other towns names aren't so great. Some are good, like Hearthrome.

What do you think of the names of the towns and cities

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
I've always wondered why it was Sunyshore (one n) instead of Sunnyshore, the correct spelling.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
How are they silly? They all apply pretty well, except maybe for Twinleaf.

Sandgem = sand + gem = Pretty place with a beach, which it is
Jubilife = jubilation + life = Happy, bustling place, which it is
Floaroma = flower + aroma = Duh
Oreburgh = ore + burgh = Ore is mined, so Oreburgh is a mining town, which it is
Eterna = eternal = Said to have been there since the creation of Sinnoh, which it is
Hearthome = heart + home = Home is where the heart is; it's a nice place, which it is
Veilstone = veil + stone = Lots of rocks, so it really is veiled in stone
Pastoria = pastoral = Relating to rural life. Appropriate
Canalave = canal = Duh
Snowpoint = snow + point = A point at which it snows. Duh
Sunyshore = sun(n)y + shore = Duh
Solaceon = solace = Isolated settlement, which it is
Celestic = celestial = Lots of heavenly mythology there.

I personally liked the names of the D/P towns and cities. I was never a fan of the 'themed' names that we had in the 1st and 2nd Generations. I think the more recent 'unthemed' names give a greater sense of realism or something.

Thunderhead

The Worst Nightmare
^idk, Twinleaf town reminds me of two Turtwigs :p

Also, you got to admit some of the names such as Sunyshore, and Snowpoint are a bit basic compared to the other names. I mean these where the only names I could figure out, and they also give a good idea of the location
Sunyshore - Solar Pannles
Snow Point - Snow!

-Matthew K.

Leo The Lucario

I love most of the names. Like Jubilife sounds like a city and it is. Hearthome sounds like a loving place, and it is. Sunysore sounds like a sunny place, and it is.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Actually, Pallet town was a typo/misspelling. It was originally supposed to be Palette town, as in a painter's Palette, hence the names of most of the towns being colour related.

Shadow616

Gold Card Trainer
I think the names suck. Red/blue were colours. Gold/silver were trees. Ruby/sapphire were a bit blah. But all the town names in diamond/pearl are really femanine! Or really uninventive, as the guy who described them all (like we didnt know the reasons anyhu!) pointed out with his rather annoying "duh" comment. Basically the best place names are found in the game "Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow". God I love that game...

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
I like themed city names, but at the same times I don't like them where they're too obvious, so you can obviously tell the theme, but since most of the games had really obvious ones, they're just ok, and nothing more. And for the new generation with the themeless names, well, I guess that's fine, but make them more creative. I like Sandgem, Floaroma, Canalave, and Solaceon, but the rest are just very blah. I think the names in general could use a little more work, or effort.

shaq-attack

.:~:._.:~:.
The only place's name I have a problem with is Sunyshore.
It's not that big of a deal, but I find that it isn't spelled Sunnyshore a bit irksome.

Yami_Wheeler

Stay forever young.
Right, because it's totally realistic to have towns with names based off of what they have in them. I much preferred it back in the 1st and 2nd gens. Even though they were all named after colors and such, at least they SOUNDED like towns. Now we get Floaroma... That's not a town name.

I hope they stop being stupid with them in the next gen and come up with actual names. It's really not that hard.

BCVM22

You're not honestly complaining about the current town names and then claiming that names like "Cerulean" and "Vermillion" and "Fuschia" - all nothing more than color names, verbatum - were somehow of the utmost creativity and/or any better (or any worse, in the interest of equality), are you?

Please. The days when the cities were named for nothing more than colors or flowers are over. Deal with it.

I've always wondered why it was Sunyshore (one n) instead of Sunnyshore, the correct spelling.

Each of the game's elements have maximum character limits, if I'm not mistaken. That's how we end up with spellings like Sunyshore, Victreebel and Feraligatr.

Last edited:

Grimdour

Also, you got to admit some of the names such as Sunyshore, and Snowpoint are a bit basic compared to the other names. I mean these where the only names I could figure out, and they also give a good idea of the location
Sunyshore - Solar Pannles
Snow Point - Snow!

-Matthew K.
Obvious they may be, but it sounds nice.

Snowpoint City is a nice name. Sunyshore, maybe. Simplicity doesn't always mean crap.

Visual

Nine one six ~

Really? I just realised that. I thought it is spelled with double 'n' since...the beginning of D/P? :O

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
I like the DPPt town names - they give you a sense of what you can expect and I think they are a lot more creative than naming every single town after a colour or flower. I especially live Hearthome. Home is where the heart is =]

Zalman

Master of Puppets
The only place's name I have a problem with is Sunyshore.
It's not that big of a deal, but I find that it isn't spelled Sunnyshore a bit irksome.
As people have mentioned, it isn't the only city with a misspelling. People just forget about Pallet Town because it was from the first generation, which apparently was oh-so perfect.
But honestly, I find them a little annoying too.

How are they silly? They all apply pretty well, except maybe for Twinleaf.

Sandgem = sand + gem = Pretty place with a beach, which it is
Jubilife = jubilation + life = Happy, bustling place, which it is
Floaroma = flower + aroma = Duh
Oreburgh = ore + burgh = Ore is mined, so Oreburgh is a mining town, which it is
Eterna = eternal = Said to have been there since the creation of Sinnoh, which it is
Hearthome = heart + home = Home is where the heart is; it's a nice place, which it is
Veilstone = veil + stone = Lots of rocks, so it really is veiled in stone
Pastoria = pastoral = Relating to rural life. Appropriate
Canalave = canal = Duh
Snowpoint = snow + point = A point at which it snows. Duh
Sunyshore = sun(n)y + shore = Duh
Solaceon = solace = Isolated settlement, which it is
Celestic = celestial = Lots of heavenly mythology there.

I personally liked the names of the D/P towns and cities. I was never a fan of the 'themed' names that we had in the 1st and 2nd Generations. I think the more recent 'unthemed' names give a greater sense of realism or something.
Nice post, finally someone who isn't that blinded by nostalgia. I like the names too.

Same, that was the first thing I thought when the name was confirmed, lol.

It may also have to do with how Hearthome is located near the center of Sinnoh, therefore representing it's 'heart'.
Smart, I never noticed that. Now I like the name even more.

Right, because it's totally realistic to have towns with names based off of what they have in them.
Are monsters in balls realistic? Are bikes in your bag pack realistic? Honestly, Pokémon isn't supposed to be realistic. /:

You're not honestly complaining about the current town names and then claiming that names like "Cerulean" and "Vermillion" and "Fuschia" - all nothing more than color names, verbatum - were somehow of the utmost creativity and/or any better (or any worse, in the interest of equality), are you?

Please. The days when the cities were named for nothing more than colors or flowers are over. Deal with it.

[...]

Each of the game's elements have maximum character limits, if I'm not mistaken. That's how we end up with spellings like Sunyshore, Victreebel and Feraligatr.
You are a smart man, man.

Last edited:

MissFrederick

I actually like the town's names. I don't think they're that bad. I especially like Hearthome and Jubilife because they seem like suitable names for those two. I also Snowpoint (I just like the simplicity of it.) The names I see I think are just average and I'm pretty indifferent to them.