• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nanjing Massacre denial is still very much alive.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious

The Nanjing Massacre was was an episode of mass murder and mass rape committed by Imperial Japanese troops against the residents of Nanjing. I thought the only people who would deny it were old farts like Koichi Sugiyama, the 90 year old composer of Dragon Quest. There was some controversy with how the Olympics opening played Sugiyama's Dragon Quest Overture. I saw someone on Twitter defending Sugiyama, saying that cancel culture doesn't exist in Japan and people don't care about Sugiyama's politics. One of the replies was a video attempting to cast doubt on the genocide. I decided to reply to that video, stating that the logic used can easily be used to downplay the Holocaust. I was soon flooded by right wing Japanese war crime deniers, telling me to prove that Nanjing actually happened.

This is a tweet I made, which quotes the video: The video author quote tweeted me. Here is a my reply to that:
Look at all the likes and retweets the Nanjing Massacre deniers got. It was extremely disheartening to learn that this mentality still exists and won't just die with Sugiyama's generation. Japan's education system is known for whitewashing their history to a point that the new generation questions basic truths of the war.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Considering we have tons of denial about the Moon Landing, I’m not surprised this exists.

I always like to pass around the Japanese newspaper which reported the killing contest between the officers as proof of the Japanese actions in Nanjing along with the famous photo of the bayonets.

Besides the rape and killing contests, the IJA got really creative with how they killed people.

People would dig their mass graves and be beheaded, pushed into the mass grave by the people behind them, and they were beheaded.

Lots of infants in boiling pots of water and on bayonets.

Having people walk out into freezing waters. This was December in Nanjing after all.

The most creative of the bunch, forcing people to drink fuel and then shooting them to see if they exploded. They exploded.