1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

NaNoWriMo 2011: Are you up to the challenge?

Discussion in 'The Authors' Café' started by Ysavvryl, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Phoopes

Phoopes There it is.

This sounds fun, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to get to 50,000 words. Might as well start the 50,000 words in Chapter 2 of my fic... that is if I can get Chapter 1 done by November 1. I'll try my best with the expectation of 10,000 words for now. If I get more, then I'll be extremely happy.

2. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

Awwww, I'd like to do NaNoWriMo, but I don't think I have the proper time to do it. I'm sure I could hit 50,000 words within a month, but I'd have to come up with something first.

Well... I lied. I do have an idea I'd like to turn into a book one of these days, but I haven't really come up with a good body and resolution for it. I'm sure the challenge would help, but I promised myself I wouldn't write anything else until my current story is finished. I'll strive for next year, I suppose...

Shucks, I was thinking about it too.

Oh, and it has to hit the 50,000 mark precisely, or could it go over?

EDIT: Looked it up, it can be longer.

Ohhhh, it makes me want to do it even MORE. *pouts*

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  3. Ysavvryl

Ysavvryl Pokedex Researcher

@Kutie Pie: Yup, you can go over. But go too far over that the word validator bot can't handle it. If I recall right, the upper limit for the bot is 120K. But then that's kind of an achievement in itself, overloading the bot.

@Cutlerine: haha, that sounds like a great starting point! Of course, what to do with it takes some thought.

@ben_pokemon: You can give it a try. It's a self-imposed challenge, and there's nothing to lose (well except time... and possibly your mind). A lot of people focus on the daily goals of 1600-1700 words.

@Psychic: That sounds really cool, using Pokemon in a Redwall like setting. Make sure to remember the feast scene! Could get quite a word count out of that.

I suppose we all noticed the lack of a thread at around the same time, huh?

If you're curious, my story this year is an original work about the MC being forced on a quest to become ruler of Dreamland, under a mentor that's of the sink-or-swim variety, and being chased down by monster nightmares that want to devour her soul. And just about every character has the ability to manipulate dreams to some degree, so battles end up like wizard duels in The Sword and the Stone, only everything including the local environment can be changed.

Actually, having that much unlimited potential and wanting to keep a clear and coherent storyline is a challenge. But the end result could be worth it.

4. Psychic

Psychic Really and truly

Yay for Redwall fans! :D

She is more based off General Ironbeak...right down to the name, actually. :x Her full title is Ironbeak Swiftclaw, shearer of the skies (she's super modest). I gave her that name when she was just a role-playing character, so if I make a full fic out of her story I feel like I should change it so her first name isn't a complete ripoff. Thoughts?

Even with the similarity to the General, the idea of her is really just based off all the warlords the series has seen. it follows the basic formula of create a huge horde comprised of various species to plunder and pillage, get a seer, and eventually go to war with some rebels. Jeez, I'm sure original. XD

Fffffffffffffffffffffff that never crossed my mind! I mean the fic would mainly focus on the warlord's army and I can't imagine a bunch of birds having an elegant feast, and I don't think I could come up with such wonderful dishes as Jacques (may he rest in peace), but it's too wonderful a wordcount boost to pass up!

That said, it's not necessarily a Redwall setting - it's more just following a formula used in the series. I still want it to be in the canon world, which I see working fine because many of Ash's adventures saw groups of Pokemon coexisting or fighting. Additionally, the series doesn't often have villains as the focus of the story, and I'd like to stick with Ironbeak from her hatching to well after the war.

I'm also throwing in a link to my profile - feel free to friend me, if that system still exists. :) http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/psychic

~Psychic

5. Astinus

Astinus Well-Known Member

I've been debating whether or not to participate this year. I have the time and the want to do so. It's just that I don't know if I want to start a new story completely or try to finish a multi-chapter fic for the first time in...ever. There is a new Digimon fic that I would love to start, but at the same time I have three other Digimon fics to finish that just barely got started. Same with Pokemon (four fics there) and Other Fandom (only one there, but it's a big one).

I might just use NaNo as an excuse to get something finished. It remains to be seen if I'm going to officially participate or not.

6. I'm gonna be doing it this year. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to be doing, but, I've got a few ideas in mind.

7. Alliance

Alliance Re-Arrival

God.
    The possibilities.
    I would absolutely love to try again this year. Last year I burned at about 100 words. I failed that badly.

But this year, I have a lovely idea.
    Pity it's so one-sided in genderration at 1:OVER 9000! boys:girls

Meh.
    Doubt I'll get to the glorious 50k, but hey, 10k looks like a possibility this time around.

8. The Great Butler

The Great Butler Hush, keep it down

Anyone else going to post their entries here too? I wouldn't mind seeing some of what others write for this event.

9. D. Scott

D. Scott Well-Known Member

I'll be participating, yeah. Just dunno if I'm gonna be posting whatever I get done here, because it'll be my first shot at original fiction. Looking forward to it!

On a side note, November 1st is my birthday. Nice timing, there. XD

10. Azurne

Azurne ~ ♥ ~

I can't decide whether I'm rewriting my original story from last year, or if I'm going to write something new. I never finished the story from last year and I'm not satisfied at all with how the first few chapters were written... On the other hand, the lure of writing something fresh is quite seductive. :/

I guess I'll start writing a prompt each day and see if any jump out at me the night before.

EDIT: You know what, I just remembered. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out on the 11th, Assassin's Creed Revelations is also in November, and so isn't the 25th anniversary edition of Phantom of the Opera. Rats. This will be a true test of willpower and squeezing free time. ._.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  11. Alliance

Alliance Re-Arrival

Wow.
    Fun filled month huh?
    I have camp on the first few days of NaNo, so it's gonna take a toll on the end result.
    Not to mention the daily fights between me and my bro over the good computer that is alot better for writing.
    Well, here's for Pokemorphs saving the world...
    In one month.

12. Phoopes

Phoopes There it is.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea... I might do that also.

Also, is anyone else going to have problems getting computer time? I have 5 brothers to share my writing computer with, so I'm going to try my best to get to 50K, but 10K is more reasonable in my case.

13. catzeye

catzeye Writer's Block

I think 10K (maybe 15K) will probably good for me too. I don't have 5 brothers but I have two AP classes that are demanding much of my time.

I would be interested in participating in this as well. I'm just wondering if I should use it to continue my current fic (I really should) or use it do a smaller story.

14. storymasterb

storymasterb Knight of RPGs

I was always intending Dawn of Dusk to go up on here because it's a Digimon Epics spin-off fic. It's more fitting to have it on the same forum as the Epics RPGs as such. Plus, really this is something more specialized than the sort of fics I put on FF.net. It will work as a fic in its own, but it'll be more poetic and fitting if you know the RPG stuff I'm working from.

15. FireTypeLover

FireTypeLover Mr. Soul Stealer

I plan to join NaNoWriMo this year! I have many ideas in my head anyways, so why not write something for the NaNoWriMo? For reference, look at my Author Profile which has eight story ideas in it, though I have a few other fan fics I don't feel like posting there...

Anyways, the story I feel like doing is...THE ZUBATMAN: NO MAN'S LAND!! Despite how stupid the title is and how it appears to be a comedic parody of Batman, IT IS NOT. It is dark, but not too dark, with tons of humor that prevents it from being too dark. The humor pokes fun at Batman, Kingdom Hearts, Minecraft, and more media!

Anyways, away from stuff about my fic, I hope to reach the 50k mark and even if I don't, I still hope to get lots of stuff done in the fic. I'm pretty sure it has enough content in it to reach the 50k mark, with tons of villains and arcs, but if I can actually write all this stuff in one month is the question...oh and if you want to know, I plan to post the draft on the NaNoWriMo site, polish it on FF.net, then polish it some more before posting it on Serebii!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  16. Phoopes

Phoopes There it is.

So, is anyone else doing a Pokemon fan fic as their novel? I'm going to continue my current fan fic to try to get to 50K words.

17. JX Valentine

JX Valentine Ever-Discordant

In all honesty, I'm trying to figure out a way to answer this without sounding like I'm being really sarcastic because I'm really not trying to mean anything negative at all when I say that several people in this thread have already mentioned doing Pokémon fics for NaNo.

- Dramatic Melody has mentioned doing a sequel to Stars (a Pokémon fic).
    - The Great Butler is also doing a sequel to a Pokéfic, The Victory Star of Fate.
    - Dragonfree may or may not do a rewrite of Morphic.
    - purple_drake is trying to finish Tabula Rasa.
    - storymasterb has one Pokémon plot bunny involving Darkrai and legendaries.
    - Griff may continue his new Pokéfic.
    - elyvorg has two Pokéfics to continue.
    - Psychic is doing Redwall meets Pokémon.
    - Hanako Tabris is considering a Pokémon plot bunny among other things.
    - FireTypeLover has Pokémon's answer to Batman a dark fic in the works.
    - catzeye is continuing Avarice.
    - I have a fanfiction of my own I'd like to get back on track. *motions to sig* Plus a few other plot bunnies I may be pursuing.

So a better question would probably be who isn't writing or thinking of writing a Pokémon fic for their NaNo? (On the other hand, there have been people who have mentioned in this thread that they're doing original fic or fanfic for other fandoms as well. So maybe a better question might be to ask about plot details of what people are doing or what they're doing to get geared up for NaNo or something else along those lines. Or maybe query this question to people who haven't posted, but I'm pretty sure it's safer in a discussion thread like this to ask questions to just the people who have already posted.)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  18. FireTypeLover

FireTypeLover Mr. Soul Stealer

And, of course, my Batman meets Pokémon fic. Like JX said, not trying to sound negative, but my post about my fic is right above yours, phoopes. And, once again, I hope it works out well!

19. Phoopes

Phoopes There it is.

Oh, I should really go back and read through the thread next time... I'll look for you all on the NaNoWriMo site. Happy writing to everyone!

20. JX Valentine

JX Valentine Ever-Discordant

Haha, yeah, sorry about that. I don't know how I managed to miss you and catzeye and other folk I edited in last-minute, but somehow, I was just that talented.

It sounds like an awesome idea, though, because parodying Batman is hilarious no matter which version you're going for: Christian Bale, Adam West, Michael Keaton, the wacky foreign adaptations...

Curiosity speaking, will this be the latest Batman adaptation that you're parodying or all of them? And why am I so amused by the idea of fusing it with Minecraft?