• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NaNoWriMo 2011: Are you up to the challenge?

Phoopes

There it is.
Anyone else epiclly failing at this...mostly because homework and job are killing ya?

Absolutely. I'm far behind the pace I wanted to set at only 4 or 5,000 words so far because of school and volunteering at my local library. Plus, I've been invited to many parties on the weekend this month, which will certainly cut into writing time.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Absolutely. I'm far behind the pace I wanted to set at only 4 or 5,000 words so far because of school and volunteering at my local library. Plus, I've been invited to many parties on the weekend this month, which will certainly cut into writing time.

For me, I also have big plans for Thanksgiving as well. That, and a pretty big school project that counts for a big part of the final grade.

Still, there's no law dictating you can't try a NaNoWriMo-like challenge during some other month besides November. You can try writing a 50K story in 30 days anytime of the year, really. I don't recommend December though. If there's any month harder than November to write a 50K story, it's definitely that one.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
Yeah I've been struggling as well, mainly due to exams taking up the first nine days of November. I'm hoping to have a few massive writing days now though since there are no more exams, and hopefully I should be able to catch up. I'm not too far behind; only 4k behind :p

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't recommend December though. If there's any month harder than November to write a 50K story, it's definitely that one.
Well, each to their own, really. Although December is certainly not ideal due to Christmas and New Years, for me it's by far a better month because I'm not having to worry about final year exams for over half the month like I am atm. Which is why I don't do Nano, sadly.

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
Still, there's no law dictating you can't try a NaNoWriMo-like challenge during some other month besides November. You can try writing a 50K story in 30 days anytime of the year, really.

This. I'd like to try to get into the habit of doing something like this more than once next year, if only so I know I'm getting things done. Maybe we could even stage an unofficial forum-challenge so we can encourage one another?

As for now, I'm cruising along nicely; I'm not exactly ahead, at least not by more than a hundred or so words, but I was a thousand words or so behind up until tonight, when I churned out almost 4k. Still, since the story I'm writing is most eminently not the story I'm currently posting, I may have to put the latter on hiatus until the month is over and I can build up another backlog of chapters again, since my usual writing time has been taken up by NaNo instead.

The problem is that I'm scared if I do that then it'll unintentionally give myself leave to start being lazy about writing it again, like with everything else I've ever posted.

I actually am doing it, against my better judgment. Especially an "against my better judgment" thing because my computer kind of turned into a kiln a few days ago. I decided to, instead of writing a single story for 50,000 words -- my attention span is godawful -- I'm writing a series of interconnected stories. It's actually kinda fun!

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
So, we're twelve days in now, how's everyone going in terms of their word count and general morale levels?

I've finished exams so I've been playing catch up for the last two or three days. I had my best writing day this month so far, getting pretty close to 3k, and I'm currently sitting at 16356 words, so I'm still quite a bit behind, but at least it's more manageable now and I should be able to catch up more tomorrow, hopefully.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I know someone who's done 41,000 words so far. It's not halfway through the month yet... O.O

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
41,000 by this point is pretty good (but I'm at 80K, so...). Well I've got my first story finished, so I started work on a second story. More dragon killing, as I found that the first project can work nicely as a series. That is, if I make it the last story of the series.

@Mariya Shidou: However it works for you and is still fun. Good luck with it!

Phoopes

There it is.
zhanton said:
So, we're twelve days in now, how's everyone going in terms of their word count and general morale levels?

Morale: F-. I've hit the brick wall of writer's block and can't seem to bust through. Only at 4K words right now, far behind where I wanted to be. My fic is based off Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, but I don't want it to be a carbon copy of the games, so I'm trying to come up with other stuff. I've had lots of ideas, but most of them turn out to be crap. Ugh...

Word count: C+? I'm ahead of the curve, but not as much as I used to be, probably because my computer ate itself alive a few days ago. I usually get up to date by about 1 AM, though, and still fill in a day's worth of words easily.

Morale: D. It's more the character I was writing for a while, but since I changed scene away from her, hopefully this will go up again.

FireTypeLover

Mr. Soul Stealer
Word count: D-, I guess. I had a slow first week, but I picked up speed in the second week. Though, of course, I only have 7k right now and I definitely won't get 21k by tomorrow.

Morale: B. I'm doing better in this regard. My morale is somewhat running out when I found out I might have made many grammar mistakes and I think my main characters act somewhat OOC at times. Who knows, I am a very unconfident person, so I might be wrong.

SerenadeSP

My Loyal Feraligatr
I decided to drop my challenge. After much consideration, laziness, and writer's block, I've figured that I'm more of a page-count guy than a word-count guy. Keeping track of the exact number of words I write every single day is kinda a pain when I honestly don't care. I can't force myself to write when I can't think of anything, so doing this daily isn't working out.

At least I can say I tried. ^_^;

I will continue the story that I started, but I won't stress over it as much as I have been.

Well, today I managed six-and-a-quarter thousand words and broke the halfway mark. I guess I was wrong about that word count rating, really. I mean, this isn't the best, but it still feels good.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Is there anything other than Microsoft Word that can keep track of my word count?(Apart from the old-fashioned way)

Astinus

Do you mean another word processing program? Or just a simple word counter?

For the first, there's OpenOffice (my personal choice) or even Write or Die. If you just mean a word counter, there's wordcounttool.com.

As for my personal NaNo, I stopped typing at around 13,000 words. The past few days have been busy, and I haven't had the time to type anything up. But I've been writing out the story in long-hand, so I'll see where that gets me.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
Day Twenty, and we're now 2/3 of the way through November, and hopefully approaching 33,333 sometime today unless we prefer a challenge in the last ten days and are lagging behind.

What's your word count at the moment? I haven't started writing today, but yesterday I reached 28.6k and I'm hoping to push for 31k today. Yes, I know I'm a tad bit behind; it's taken me a while to recover from missing a few days due to exams.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
I'm only at 12k, but for this NaNo I'm not really shooting for the word target. I actually got done with one of the stories I'm using for NaNo last night and later today I'll get started on the other story I plan on using (too bad though I probably won't finish it by the time NaNo ends, bleh).

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
I'm at just over 30k, so a bit behind, but I've also been bumping out 3k days when I buckle down to it, so I'm not really worried about catching up. I should go have one of those work-writing days today, though, because otherwise I'll be falling even further behind. XD

Phoopes

There it is.
I'm still stuck in the endless abyss that is writer's block... just hoping to get one chapter finished for this. Everything I'm churning out at this point is either a) unoriginal or b) crap.