• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NaNoWriMo 2011: Are you up to the challenge?

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
It's getting close to that time of year again: NaNoWriMo starts in two weeks! This is the epic challenge to write 50,000 words of a novel in 30 days. They've changed the site to Rails to run better and faster than before (although it's still being worked on), which should reduce November lag.

Anyone else here going to participate? Did you try out the Camp NaNoWriMo earlier this summer?

I'm doing this again (in fact, I first joined because of a thread on Serebii, so I return the favor by mentioning it this year), although anyone who has seen my previous wordcounts knows that I'm one of the really crazy ones. I didn't get to do the summer version, for various reasons, but I'm sure it helped the school-bound writers who have trouble with the November version. Anyhow, if you need help, advice, or encouragement, I'll back you up!

I was about to make a thread like this! XD

Yeah, made it my New Year's resolution to participate this year, following my failure in 2009 and my non-participation in 2010. Winning in 2008 felt great, and I'm determined to do so a second time! =)

I'll be using it to write the sequel to Stars. I've been outlining and planning it for a while now, and I figured, why not make it my NaNo this year? I'm up for the challenge, and it's the perfect way to spend the eleventh month of '11. Here's hoping come December 1 we're all proud winners! =D

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I'll be entering for the first time. I'm going to use The Victory Star of Fate, the sequel to The Firestorm Rebellion, and I already have it entirely planned out so I am fairly confident.

I hope to learn some things about myself as a writer and maybe pick up some new readers too.

Drippy Miltank

Journeyman Breeder
Wah! they have region in Guadalajara! Now I'm seriously considering joining. Oh wait... I'd have to write it in spanish... to the FAQ!

SerenadeSP

My Loyal Feraligatr
Oh **** it's that close?

I plan on actually reaching the deadline this time. Last year I tried to write Heroic Potential for my challenge last year and I failed at 18000 words. (Heck, I just reached 50000 last week XD) But then again, Yugioh stories require a massive amount of planning and checking which really slowed me down.

This year I plan on writing a rough draft for a work that I'm thinking about publishing someday (and, obviously, it's not going to be posted here). It's mostly because I need an excuse to get started.

Dragonfree

Just me
I may rewrite Morphic, which doesn't quite count but it is just over fifty thousand words and I think I'd be up for writing Morphic for a month. And currently I can't look at it without going "aaaahhh everything is inconsistent and makes no sense" but I know it would take years to complete a proper rewrite otherwise.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
For this year I'm actually going to be finishing off a couple chapters of a (non-Pokemon) story I had been working on already and get started on a long story. Don't think I'll hit 50k but that's fine as I want to just get those projects done. I'm pretty excited as this will be the first time I'm going to be doing NaNo seriously!

Psychic

Really and truly
I got the reminder e-mail and started looking around the forums in class a couple hours ago, actually. XD (Their Adoption Society subforum is pretty sweet.)

I'm in the pattern of participating in NaNo every second year for some reason, and this is the year. Regardless, I really should be participating anyway - I've only ever gotten halfway before, and I'd really like to write something already. I just have zero ideas at the moment, and don't really expect any to pop in any time soon. Also school's bad this semester. We shall see - fingers crossed, I suppose.

~Psychic

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
I'm going to try and finish Tabula Rasa for this one, I think. It doesn't technically qualify because it's not a new story, but I've got too many unfinished stories to keep starting new ones every November. I should have more than enough story left for 50k, though. XD

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Might give it a shot with a brand new story rather than try to pick up something I gave up on long ago. It won't be a Pokemon fic, though. I'm more out to try using my own universe that's a mix of a post-apocalyptic setting with some fantasy elements in there as well. Imagine something that's somewhat like Fallout, but has dragons and a little magic in there as well. I also plan on creating completely original races in there as well. So no typical elves or dwarves. I plan on making races that are much more in sync with the setting.

As for storyline, main idea is to have a group of raiders and bandits slowly turn to the good side as a more dangerous enemy reveals itself. Meanwhile, once blood sworn enemies have to become allies in the face of a much greater threat. But will these shaky and unstable alliances be enough to overcome this threat? And how do they plan on challenging it?

Should be fun to write, I'm sure.

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
Hell yeah, NaNoWriMo! I've never participated in it before, but this year is going to be my year. I'm planning to use this time to start and finish an original work, actually. Better now than ever. Dagzar and I have decided to participate and reach that damned 50k finish-line. We SPPers need to support one another and help the other cross the line.

I've actually rather unfamiliar with the mechanics of Nanowrimo, though, and am hoping that SPP could enlighten me. Sure, I could access the website, but it's far nicer to hear about it from friends. =)

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Hm, I want to participate for the first time this year. I'm either going to -finally- get that Digimon: Civil War backstory fic I've been talking to Griff about for ages started and written, or I have an idea in my head about Darkrai and Legendaries and stuff I'd like to try. Leaning towards Dawn of Dusk (the CW backstory) more right now, I want to write some of the characters in that so much. And I have nostalgia. And stuff.

Either way, hopefully I'll hit that 50,000 word mark.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
I'm considering trying at NaNoWriMo, but I'm really not sure. I've written long things, but I don't know if I can hit the 50 000 work mark in only a month. I do have a few ideas though. Possibly an original Digimon fic. Possibly a Digimon: Unholy Crusade backstory fic (there's two to choose from). Possibly continuing my new Pokemon fic. Not really sure.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
I did NaNo a few years back and prompty burned out in less than a week. This year, Draco talked me into trying again, so I hope to get some work done on my fanfic and an original story. Maybe if I'm lucky, it'll all go well. D8

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
Hah, not again for me. The only reason I succeeded last year was because the story for it had already hijacked my brain long before November; if I don't already have an idea that I love that much (which I don't, this time), it's not going to happen, I know.

What I might try and do in November, however, is some kind of vague Get-Back-On-Track-With-Lost-Evolution Month. Thanks to last year's NaNo distracting me, I've been massively neglecting LE and haven't actually written a new chapter in almost a year. Hopefully I can use November to motivate myself into rectifying that.

Psychic

Really and truly
I was thinking about what Pokemon to give a trainer for an RPG in the wee hours last night when I remembered a Skarmory character of mine whose backstory I love. I'm actually starting to seriously think about writing about her for my NaNo. It would be about the rise and fall of a Skarmory warlord and the war that follows, heavily inspired by Brian Jacques' Redwall series. I don't know if I could get it to 50k, but it might be worth a shot.

This requires research! Time to get out the old Redwall books...

~Psychic

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
I was thinking about what Pokemon to give a trainer for an RPG in the wee hours last night when I remembered a Skarmory character of mine whose backstory I love. I'm actually starting to seriously think about writing about her for my NaNo. It would be about the rise and fall of a Skarmory warlord and the war that follows, heavily inspired by Brian Jacques' Redwall series. I don't know if I could get it to 50k, but it might be worth a shot.

This requires research! Time to get out the old Redwall books...

~Psychic

He wouldn't happen to be inspired by King Bull Sparra, would he? =P

Janovy

Banned
I never, ever managed to complete a fic. Should I even bother trying to write something huge like this?

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Ah, NaNoWriMo! I've known of it for quite some time, but this is the first year I've registered. I suppose it probably won't be too hard after 56,000 words in fifty hours for the Three-Day Novel Contest. At least I'll have time to eat with a month to do it, which will make a nice change.

The downside to that is that the little people in my imagination have thought: Oh, we have a whole month! Let's think up this really elaborate comedy about a demon and a Catholic and a 1978 Ford Thunderbird! Naturally, this has led to a colossal idea that's actually going to be something of a challenge to complete in just one month.

Ah well. I'll enjoy it anyway.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
The downside to that is that the little people in my imagination have thought: Oh, we have a whole month! Let's think up this really elaborate comedy about a demon and a Catholic and a 1978 Ford Thunderbird!

Sounds like the plot for Supernatural.

I kid, I kid.

On a serious and more egocentric note, I'm honestly not sure if I'll participate. The only reason why I won last year is because besides work, I really had nothing better to do. Now that I'm in grad school, most of my time is already taken up by writing -- only not the happy, fun kind of writing. Never mind other obligations anyway.

Still, I have ideas for both original fiction and fanfiction, and like elyvorg, I have a fanfiction of my own I'd like to shove back onto a sane update schedule.