• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NaNoWriMo 2011: Are you up to the challenge?

Astinus

Actually, since November is my Digimon-fic-writing month, it's going to be a Digimon fic for NaNo. I've decided not to start a new one, instead working on one of the ones I already started. It's going to be more of an unofficial typed 50.000 words, since I always write my fics by long-hand first. So it's not going to be a fully fresh batch of 50,000 words.

And to help reach that goal, it'll probably be the fic that I already have four chapters written in. For the plot details, it's an AU of Digimon Adventure 02. And yes, that's all I really have for "planned plot."

Last edited:

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Yeah, this last week of October can seem so slow when you're excited about a novel for November. Although I've once again gotten a new plot to jump out at me trying to replace the one I have planned. I've got to decide now whether I want to write about taking over Dreamland to solve the mystery of a powerful crown or about a silent swordsman who is traveling across strange lands in search of his missing family. Both sound really cool...

As much as I write, it might be possible to do both. But then which to start with? Ack!

I'm not doing fanfiction this year, but I did write the majority of PMD: Loopholes over one NaNo.

FireTypeLover

Mr. Soul Stealer
Haha, yeah, sorry about that. I don't know how I managed to miss you and catzeye and other folk I edited in last-minute, but somehow, I was just that talented.

It sounds like an awesome idea, though, because parodying Batman is hilarious no matter which version you're going for: Christian Bale, Adam West, Michael Keaton, the wacky foreign adaptations...

Curiosity speaking, will this be the latest Batman adaptation that you're parodying or all of them? And why am I so amused by the idea of fusing it with Minecraft?

Well, it's not too much of a parody, but I plan to adapt arcs and characters from all adaptations of Batman, except for maybe the wacky foreign ones.

Oh and I'm not really fusing it with Minecraft, I'll just reference Minecraft a few times which I hope won't be forced humor. Be prepared to see a reference to punching trees in the very first chapter.

Azurne

~ ♥ ~
I've decided to rewrite my original fiction that I've been working on, instead of trying something new. Looking back over the pages of notes I have, there's a lot of background lore I still haven't fleshed out and a few characters are still missing a definitive back story (and personality). The world itself is okay, but still doesn't feel complete in comparison to the huge map I've drawn. I keep feeling like there's something I'm missing.

Quick summary for those who are curious (possible trigger warnings -- the entire story is very dark):
The novel takes place in a fantasy world during medieval times. Magic is apart of society, but not common among normal people, and it can manifest itself in a lot of different ways - including as a disease. One disease in particular is pretty nasty, and has a track record of killing entire civilizations if not contained. The results of it aren't pretty either, and while it appears with the symptoms of the flu, it ends in the victim either dying or transforming into a monster. If a person is bitten, they've also a likely (if not guaranteed) chance to catch it.

The actual story begins with a farmhand named Asline, who's completely uneducated and only knows how to barter crops for a living. She lives in a paranoid, walled-off kingdom which is strict about who it lets in and kicks people out on a daily basis for illegally immigrating. Because it's so very isolated, not much happens and its military is quite lax. Once reports of a certain disease start appearing however, the nobles panic and an order to evacuate the sick is issued. Unfortunately the order came too late, and a servant of the royal princess shapeshifts into a monster, and injures the princess herself.

Overwhelmed with grief and anxiety, the monarch decides enough is enough, and the search for a cure begins. Ironically, they find that a certain stone within their possession said to contain the blood of their patron saint is what staves off the illness. Sadly, over the many years the crimson stone has slowly withered away and it's not enough to completely cure the princess or anyone else. From there it's decided that they must find another source, and there's a rumor one can be found across the continent in the ruins of an ancient civilization.

Because the shadow beasts still lurk beyond their wall, the knights of Oscera are outfitted with both a chip from the sacred stone, and given their choice of a monster to take with them as an enslaved attack dog. Most of the time they find their monsters from citizens right within the walls; pitting the sickly against each other in an arena where they fight until they transform - the surviving beast awarded to the departing knight.

Months later, very few of the knights return alive and none are successful. The princess degenerates slowly as the crimson stone merely prolongs the inevitable. Frustrated, her first and personal knight Jeremy decides to leave and look for the cure himself even though so many haven't returned. At the same time, Asline and her grandmother attempt to flee the kingdom and avoid the raging plague. The night before their escape however, Asline comes down with a fever and they're both caught. She's then forced to fight in the bloodied arena against shadow monsters even though she feels sound of mind. After one long grueling beating, she finally gives in to her darkest thoughts - wanting to die - and she transforms, crushing multiple opponents. Having watched the arena fights, Jeremy spots her and intends to choose her and his accompanying monster. What he finds the next morning in the cell however, is a young girl beaten and bruised badly. Somehow, Asline had pulled herself back into a human being.

The rest of the story is essentially Asline coming to terms with her low self-esteem and self-image, as well as finding a cure for the plague. Mostly though, it's about learning to like yourself - because the more Asline transforms into her monster form, the more deformed as a human she becomes, and thus the more she hates herself. The darker her personal hate and thoughts are, the more powerful she becomes. In the end she has to decide whether to sacrifice her own self-worth and become the most powerful shadeshifter, or return to being herself again and leave the rest of her kingdom in the lurch.

It's essentially a garbled mix of Disney fairy tale gone wrong combined with a gender-swapped Beauty and the Beast/Phantom of the Opera/Hunchback of Notre Dame/The Man Who Laughs, in which instead of the man being disfigured in some way it's the girl. :p

Last edited:

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I'm going to see if I can start it this year, as it sounds like something that could kick my writers block out of me. Hopefully, I should have an idea for a fantasy story of some sorts....if I'm quick.

Phantom Kat

Hobo Writer
You know, I was planning to do this Harry Potter x Full Metal Alchemist fan-fiction I have planned to near 90%, but then I got involved in a group on dA. Suffice to say, though it's not NaNoWriMo, I'll be writing a lot now and this November. Planning plots, writing on a deadline, and all that good stuff.

- Kat

Flame Mistress

Holy moly, 50,000 words? I really want to try it out, but maybe I'm not ready for it.

...Yes, I have secretly been writing stories on my iPhone.

lovetheangelshadow

One heck of a Nobody
My two pet projects Shadow X Shai'ra and Auctor Part 1 are much more than 50,000 words...granted they both took me 6 months because of school and work. Unfortunately...when I had my hard drive reset and I reloaded Word, I apparently had the disk for Word 2002 and NOT 2007 so none of the tales can be opened. Well Shadow x Shai'ra was gonna be rewritten and since I know that story backwards and forwards and upside and down I could write it up...if I only sleep four hours a day. ha ha ha

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
You know, I was planning to do this Harry Potter x Full Metal Alchemist fan-fiction I have planned to near 90%, but then I got involved in a group on dA. Suffice to say, though it's not NaNoWriMo, I'll be writing a lot now and this November. Planning plots, writing on a deadline, and all that good stuff.

- Kat
Oh, your project sounds very neat! I'm quite familiar with both Harry Potter and FMA, though I'm more well versed with FMA as I have been writing loads of fanfics of that series for a bit now (I'm actually going to be doing two FMA stories for this NaNo). If you need some help with planning your plot though, I don't mind. :)

And . IC Ghost ., wow you got quite a bit background for your story already. I'm liking what you're planning already and looking forward to reading it if you get the chance to post excepts and such of it! :D

Last edited:

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
I'm participating in NaNo this year, for the very first time, and I suppose you could say that I'm more than a tad bit nervous about it. I have got a vague idea for an original fantasy fiction which I may or may not have tweaked from an idea posted in the Adoption Centre section of NaNo's website. Good luck to all who are participating!

Handy?

It's that one guy
Heck yeah, Nanowrimo!

This year will be my third year of participating, with two victories in the past two years. I didn't try Camp Nanowrimo in the summer because I was busy for a lot of that time. I'm pretty pumped for november, however, and am really happy with what I'm writing this year. Steampunk Young Adult post-apocalyptic stories for the win.

Last edited:

lovetheangelshadow

One heck of a Nobody
I realized I cannot use SxS. I looked at my older versions and they are already at 100,000 words and they ain't even DONE! Well time ta go plan R. That's R for Russell Trent NOT Team Rocket

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Hey, just a note that the buddy system on the NaNo site is finally back. They're still transferring old buddies, but if you want to keep track of your fellow Serebii writers, that's a good way to do so.

I'm there as Ysavvryl also.

It's less than an hour before Nano begins here, so before I descend into madness I wanna say good luck to all of you! I hope we all reach 50k or whatever our personal goals are, but more importantly, I hope we have fun in one of the most insane and daunting writing tasks we'll ever have. Have fun with the insanity! =D

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists
I have my doubts that I'll get to 50k words, but I'm gonna try my best, since this seems like a lot of fun. I'm gonna do a Stargate fanfic, which I mentioned in the Fanfic Club. I want to tie up the loose ends that were left at the abrupt endings of the series (granted, some of them were tied up by movies, but Atlantis wasn't :/) and give the Furlings an actual PART in it (poor little guys were never even shown, aside from a joke in 200).

But yeah, I've wanted to do NaNoWriMo ever since my fiancee told me about it, but this is the first year where I'll have something to actually do, something planned, y'know? I hope it goes well xD

lovetheangelshadow

One heck of a Nobody
Some of the members of my group Wizard101Central Villians Who Write Literature (CV for short) are gonna try out. My biggest competition shall be my site partner Commodore

Phoopes

There it is.
The suspense is killing me... only a few more hours left until it begins. Wish me luck, as I have a complex part in my plot coming up and no solid ideas for it yet!

Niihyl

Posthuman
Argh. Tomorrow's the day! But today is Hallowe'en. A good time to exorcise your demons for the days to come. Or deal with them of course.

Going to be writing original fiction... I can't write a super-long fanfiction plot without growing bored. Good luck all! Buddy with me~. I'll probably need moral support. My deal with the devil probably won't take me all the way.

Ysa is crazy by the way. 250k words last year, or something. Insane. D:

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
So I meant to be a rebel and continue my current fic. Instead my brain went 'no, you don't need more help to get that done on time, it's going well and you've got time! Do this fic instead!' So now I'm doing a fanfic for the show Numb3rs and just have to stop from convincing myself that it's still early enough in the month to change if I want.

Anyone else having problems with actually following through on their plans? XD