• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Naruto or One Piece? (Has a poll this time) (May contain spoilers)

Which do you like more?

• One Piece

Votes: 70 40.7%
  • Naruto

Votes: 102 59.3%

• Total voters

pokemaster95

King of pirates
Like I said in AP Monkey D Luffy For a Republican Presindent.
Sry that was very random like here post up there.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Thanks, MJC, for posting that old quote... I SHALL USE IT TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!

Or at least this thread.

Yeah, using a quote that's ancient and from someone whose tastes have changed ridiculously since then is real smart.

I actually agree, even though he doesn't have this opinion anymore... -__-U There seems to be more depth (I accidentally said "death" before I edited it!) to the characters in Naruto... AND their relationships to each other, and how they change over time.

Even though that depth comes from contrived and stereotypical ways. Just because change occurs does not necessarily mean that it is good.

With One Piece, I haven't seen a change.

I'm guessin' that you've been ignorin' the subtle differences in how the crew acts, and Luffy aside, the characters are still different from when they were first introduced while still remaining true to who they are, instead of changing their ways because they get *****-slapped by an punk in an orange jump suit.

Unless they change more later on in the series, which I know little about...

And so you try to compare the two manga in their entirety yet only having read one of them why?

AGH!!! Why did you change your mind from the right side???!!!

Because the supposed right side is delusional?

Okay, One Piece is cool and all, but it does kind of contain sudden random plot twists, sometimes, that somehow makes things feel rushed. (Not all the time.)

And see, you're missing the point of One Piece, as did I when I read parts of it from yesteryear. It's about adventure. It's about encountering the fantastical. It's about appreciating an immense imagination that is able to take you to places of wonder with residents that all have their own quirks. There is an epic, overarching plot but ultimately that is far, far from the appeal of the series. Oda maps out the overall plot and makes excellent use of Chekhov's gun. Yet above all he never loses sight of what makes his manga great, and constantly emphasizes the incredibly varied settings and characters.

And you're complaint about the plot developments is baffling. Do you want the story to suddenly stagnate and not move forward at all (which we have seen Naruto do on numerous occasions, one popular example being the fight between Sakura and Sasori)?

If anyone wants to quote me on anything concerning which is better, Naruto or One Piece, then quote this one.

Anzua2

And you're complaint about the plot developments is baffling. Do you want the story to suddenly stagnate and not move forward at all (which we have seen Naruto do on numerous occasions, one popular example being the fight between Sakura and Sasori)?

It creates drama, duh. I mean, we need AT LEAST two panels of menacing glares between every talk bubble, lolz.

Chris

Old Coot
There seems to be more depth (I accidentally said "death" before I edited it!) to the characters in Naruto... AND their relationships to each other, and how they change over time. With One Piece, I haven't seen a change.
YEAH! Nevermind the fact that Chopper hated humans and could never be friends with them and always hid from them and ended up growing to like the Captain of the Straw Hats and even formed a friendship and partnership with the ship's Marksman, Usopp.

Or how everyone but Luffy treated Robin with complete mistrust before she became accepted among the crew and even risked their lives to rescue her from the World Government after they found out her traitorous acts from before were to protect them.

Also nevermind that Nami couldn't truely befriend the Straw Hats due to the possibility of them being killed by the Arlong Pirates until Luffy and crew took down Arlong Park for her sake.

Let's also disregard how Usopp tried to help his former friends after leaving the crew by donning the Sogeking alias to try and prove that he could help them, even if he knew he was almost useless compared to their strengths and wanted them to accept him again.

Hey! While we're at it, let's also disregard the fact that Luffy saw Franky as an enemy up until his fight with Lucci where he knew he could rely on him to help save Robin.

Yeah, that crap aside, One Piece is TOTALLY shallow in building relationships between the main characters.[/SIZE]

Uchiha Kasai

Sinnoh Champ
The same can be said about Kishimoto copying Sakon and Ukon's names.

Their names were ripped off a series called Ayatsuri Sakon.
Where the puppet master Sakon, controls his puppet friend, Ukon.

And. Pirates with swords, devil fruit powers and incredible skills pretty much overwhelm ninjas who only have ninja stars and silly jutsu.

Oh Hell! I'm sorry that you have to read every Damn swear. As if the kids gave a Crap with the censored words that the site automatically bleeps out.

Oh swearing makes you sick? Since when did you become so holy? As if you're any better.

actually, i meant swearing where children night be...
and sorry i snapped. i was having a bad day and accidentally took it out on you...

Rex Kamex

Thanks, MJC, for posting that old quote...

I SHALL USE IT TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!

Or at least this thread.

Just because I said I wouldn't let this thread die...

I actually agree, even though he doesn't have this opinion anymore... -__-U There seems to be more depth (I accidentally said "death" before I edited it!) to the characters in Naruto...

There do seem to be more deaths in Naruto...

AGH!!! Why did you change your mind from the right side???!!!
Okay, One Piece is cool and all, but it does kind of contain sudden random plot twists, sometimes, that somehow makes things feel rushed. (Not all the time.)

Exhibit A: Volume Fifteen.

This is the most recent volume I've read, 'cause that is the latest English one. It basically goes like this:

Suddenly, a sea monster appears!!

The way Dorry and Brogy were talking, one could tell that something was going to happen when the Strawhats left.

Suddenly, Nami drops to the floor, from a fever!!

Suddenly, the crew is attacked by a giant ship!! And they meet some strange, random people on the ship!!

That's the pirate life. Just kidding, but I don't see what's wrong with this one in particular.

Suddenly, the people on Drum Island are about to kill Luffy's crew!!

But it was either that or they would actually let Luffy and the gang trespass on their island and possibly destroy everything. (Okay, we knew that wouldn't happen, but the islanders didn't.)

Suddenly, those people let them into the island!!

That was after Vivi and Luffy begged them to send them a doctor. And that was after Vivi stopped Luffy from fighting them.

Suddenly, Nami's chances of getting healed are slim because they find out there is only one doctor!!

If there's only one doctor, they might as well find out sooner, right?

Suddenly, Nami's chances of getting healed go down even more because the doctor lives on a steep mountain!!

Um, uh... she has to live somewhere?

But I don't get what's wrong with this "suddenly". If there's only one doctor, they might as well find out where they are. Now if you're talking about the fact that she lives on the mountain, then, well... hey, that just adds to the drama! Yeah.

Suddenly, it is revealed that months ago, a guy on the giant ship used to be the king of the island!! He's gone now, and no one wants him back!!

Which was mentioned because Dalton mentioned that there used to be more doctors, but other pirates caused them to leave. He then mentioned that many people thought it was great because before than, the guy on the giant ship used to be the king of the island. So it's not random that he would bring up so soon that the person on the ship was the king.

Suddenly, he comes back!!

If Luffy and co. were already close to Drum Island before they met Wapol, it's understandable that he could get there shortly after Luffy as long as he went in the same direction. (He could've gone there sooner had he not fallen towards the water.)

Suddenly, Luffy and Sanji get attacked by GIANT SNOW BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!

They were warned about the lapins.

Now One Piece isn't all the time twisty like this, but many times it is! It makes it interesting, I guess, but it also makes the story go by really really fast. (I don't remember the first several volumes being like that, though.)

Still, the first few One Piece arcs were shorter...

Sachi: Uh- 8D EVERYBODY WATCH THE HUNDO!!!!!!!

Aaaaaand now I'm thinking about the quote in my signature.

Anzua2

There do seem to be more deaths in Naruto...

And that's a good thing...why exactly?
The pansies in Naruto get off scot-free with death. They aren't punished. One Piece doesn't have as many deaths because it has a theme of reformation. It's true to the real world in a way, good people can make mistakes or be taken in by the wrong crowd. It shows that you can change your life and make others happy, and only the cruelest of people are unable to change for the better.

Rave

Banned
The pansies in Naruto get off scot-free with death. They aren't punished. One Piece doesn't have as many deaths because it has a theme of reformation. It's true to the real world in a way, good people can make mistakes or be taken in by the wrong crowd. It shows that you can change your life and make others happy, and only the cruelest of people are unable to change for the better.

Very nicely and well spoken. *nods*

Judai-and-sho

The Best of the Best
One Piece hands down. Naruto is an unimaginative, boring story. I had to quit it cause it became so painful to read. The characters are also less likable and annoying. OP has a style and charm to it that is unlike anything else.

Rex Kamex

Red Ryu

So...Asuma got away with it unpunished?

Last edited:

pokemaster95

King of pirates
I got a Question for all you Narutards...Have you read any one piece or only read naruto.

Red Ryu

Oh my, an extremely minor character with little to no character development died. Naruto is so edgy.

This definitely excuses the total cop-outs that were Choji and Neji.

Doesn't change a thing really, he may have been a minor character per say, but it doesn't change the fact that death isn't an unpunished thing in Naruto.

I got a Question for all you Narutards...Have you read any one piece or only read naruto.

I have a question, is all you post in this thread flame bait for Naruto fans?

Anzua2

Doesn't change a thing really, he may have been a minor character per say, but it doesn't change the fact that death isn't an unpunished thing in Naruto.

You don't get it, do you?

First and foremost, I was referring to villains. Asuma is pretty much the only character to die who wasn't an enemy.You're right on some level; Asuma was different. However, did you stop to think that, maybe, just maybe, that had absolutely nothing to do with what I was saying?

Second, Death=/=Punishment. I was stating that the villains in Naruto aren't punished for their deeds. They die. Big whoop. They get off the hook. It's a lot harder to repay your debt to society than to just die (in most cases in shonen manga). Asuma is a completely different topic all together.

Red Ryu

You don't get it, do you?

I'm pretty sure I do.

First and foremost, I was referring to villains. Asuma is pretty much the only character to die who wasn't an enemy.You're right on some level; Asuma was different. However, did you stop to think that, maybe, just maybe, that had absolutely nothing to do with what I was saying?

...Did you even read what happened after he died? Like what Shikamaru did? I'm pretty sure what he did was payback.

Second, Death=/=Punishment. I was stating that the villains in Naruto aren't punished for their deeds. They die. Big whoop. They get off the hook. It's a lot harder to repay your debt to society than to just die (in most cases in shonen manga). Asuma is a completely different topic all together.

In most cases death is considered the absolute highest punishment one can impose on another, this isn;t a case of I was wrong or right, rather you don't think they were punished enough for what they did...and about that...

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3214/1av0.jpg

Anzua2

The death penalty isn't a punishment so much as a justification to take a person's life. Living with what you have done is far harder. Try reading The Bet sometime, it might change your opinion.

Killing Person A for killing Person B isn't punishing Person A, it's a way to try and block out the hatred and sadness felt for the loss of Person B. Person A doesn't suffer nearly as much as they would if they had to actually pay for their actions. Go into solitary confinement for a month and tell me that being killed is a worse punishment than living like that. Do you honestly believe that these characters are being fully punished by being killed?

pokemaster95

King of pirates

I have a question, is all you post in this thread flame bait for Naruto fans?

I dont have a prblm with Narutards its that they make a Dumb post that says."uhhh like that Naruto better.because I never read any one piece and Naruto has better characters".See keyword right there I havent read any one piece.And yet they say they have better characters then one piece If you haven't read both series you shouldn't make a vote.

Red Ryu

The death penalty isn't a punishment so much as a justification to take a person's life. Living with what you have done is far harder. Try reading The Bet sometime, it might change your opinion.

Depends on a person perspective, In this case they are killing villains off as they are trying to kill their own villagers and ninja to get Naruto. That can very well be justified as to protect ones people and such, but it looked more like Shikamaru wanted Payback along with that. We haven't seen much of that in either Naruto or Onepiece?(Correct me on that One Piece one, I have read enough to know the basic story arcs and what has happened, but I'm not sure if the contemplating killing other people thing has happened at all.)

Killing Person A for killing Person B isn't punishing Person A, it's a way to try and block out the hatred and sadness felt for the loss of Person B. Person A doesn't suffer nearly as much as they would if they had to actually pay for their actions. Go into solitary confinement for a month and tell me that being killed is a worse punishment than living like that. Do you honestly believe that these characters are being fully punished by being killed?

I'll be honist, I really don't know, keeping them alive to punish them would be preferable in my eyes, but the fact they were S-Class criminals and that they were killing their comrades without a second thought makes it harder to keep them alive. Being the S-Class criminals they are they most likely would have been able to escape jail and try to get Naruto for the AL considering they can still talk telepathically. They were considered too dangerous to capture and therefore were killed.

Thats what they were thinking, I don't agree that killing them was the best course of action, but considering the details surrounding it, it's really a hard choice.

Crap I'm debating politics again *headbang*

I dont have a prblm with Narutards its that they make a Dumb post that says."uhhh like that Naruto better.because I never read any one piece and Naruto has better characters".See keyword right there I havent read any one piece.And yet they say they have better characters then one piece If you haven't read both series you shouldn't make a vote.

I agree, but just don't post every time stating, "hey lets go on a hunt for Narutards." Your recent posts have been looking like that. I agree that there posts are stupid, but you only need to state that only once not over and over again to bump the topic.

Last edited: