• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Naruto VS Dragon Ball GT (will probably have spoilers)

You know, I think you already know which two options are gonna be on here...

• Total voters

bookist

As a show naruto is better (till it gets to fillers) but if naruto would fight Goku hed lose (goku can blow chunks off planets)

Sadly GT is a lot better than Naruto, which isn't saying much good about Naruto. Naruto has been bad start and will be bad for a very long time, while GT ended soon with not much episodes. Like Chris said, at least it knew when to end.

Naruto is by far better than GT. I hate that series to death. Burn GT burn, and I am a fan of the D. B. Z show in general. But that one show disapointed me so...Gohan was my favorite character. Plus have you seen the Naruto V.'S Sasuke fight? That fight throws all the D.B.Z fights out of the water, plus good animation to boot.

Naruto is by far better than GT. I hate that series to death. Burn GT burn, and I am a fan of the D. B. Z show in general. But that one show disapointed me so...Gohan was my favorite character. Plus have you seen the Naruto V.'S Sasuke fight? That fight throws all the D.B.Z fights out of the water, plus good animation to boot.

No it doesn't.

Chris

Old Coot
Yeah, because Naruto punching Sasuke square in the face to the point where his fist looks like he's punching a pillow inward is AWESOME ANIMATION!

NO!

HK

Radiance of Shadows
All I know is that one episode where Naruto and Sasuke fight that had one of the key animators (perhaps a few?) from the first two Digimon movies is pretty damn great to watch, and nothing on the Dragon Ball franchise can touch it.

Anzua2

Sadly, there's one(ish) thing that makes that episode fall apart: No Hosoda/bad frames.

Apparently this animator who had worked with Hosoda understood that spending less time on complex multi-layer shading and spending the budget on adding extra frames is a good way to animate action scenes. However, he doesn't seem to realize that to pull one of these scenes off, the actual art has to look like it isn't half-assed. I think the only scene that they spent a moderate amount of time on was when Kyuubito was running head-on into Sasuke's giant fireball-o-doom. Other than that, the entire episode was plauged with frames that even the most unexperienced artists could top.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Sadly, there's one(ish) thing that makes that episode fall apart: No Hosoda/bad frames.

I'm one of those oddballs that prefers actual, interesting animated movements as opposed to consistency and stiffness.

Granted, there are a fair examples of great animation and on-model characters, but those are few and far between with anime.

Take Noein, for example; most who care about animators in anime love the show to death (at least technically). There's really zero consistency in the way the characters are drawn, but that's because each episode has a different person handling it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's still visually one of the most fascinating anime series for sheer animation.

And even the most consistently animated and on-model anime aren't always complete pinnacles of greatness. Texhnolyze has somewhat lackluster key frames (in spite of how sharp the production values are), and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time has a couple rough and low spots in frame rates. (But visually both anime kick the **** out of 99% of anime, anyhow.)

Hell, even Mind Game -- which is the most visually imaginative and fun anime outside of Mononoke (not the Ghibli movie, for you ignorant folk) -- has a director who can't really draw. But that's not really the point of animation.

Kabuto

little punks!
You do mean the beginning of Z before the Cell/Android saga, right?

Please tell me you do.

Also Dragonball, the original DB, trumps all of them by far. :|

It didn't destroy the characters development and appearance at least. GT made gohan even nerdier (and made gohan go super saiyan which basically destroyed his training in the buu saga), goten have a stupid haircut, vegeta have a stupid haircut and a mustache -_-, etc.

While some people did not like the Cell and Buu sagas, I did. The only problem was the whole legendary super saiyan tale being turned to "gain enough power to transform". And dragonball already has a lot of plotholes so its no big deal. I really liked the whole series in general, up to GT.

It didn't destroy the characters development and appearance at least. GT made gohan even nerdier (and made gohan go super saiyan which basically destroyed his training in the buu saga), goten have a stupid haircut, vegeta have a stupid haircut and a mustache -_-, etc.

While some people did not like the Cell and Buu sagas, I did. The only problem was the whole legendary super saiyan tale being turned to "gain enough power to transform". And dragonball already has a lot of plotholes so its no big deal. I really liked the whole series in general, up to GT.

Vegeta's mustache was pretty cool. Almost as good as the pink shirt.

And Super Saiyan was a 'gain enough power' plot device in the first place.

Kabuto

little punks!

No comment

And Super Saiyan was a 'gain enough power' plot device in the first place.

No it was not. It was part of the legend that one would appear every thousand (or was it 3000?) years. Then, Goku was supposed to be that legend. Of course, when DBZ continued and everyone transformed, they tried to justify the super saiyan legend by adding brolly. Which of course created further confusion.

Seeing as how brolly was filler, the only logical explanation is that the super saiyan legend is not related to time but rather skill. But it really makes no difference. Its the same reason why Piccolo grew up in 3 years and Dende grew up in 10.

daveshan

My little friend

No comment

Then I will.
[IMG200]http://www.angelfire.com/mb2/ssurpass/vstyle05.jpg[/IMG200]
OMG HOTZ!!!

It was part of the legend that one would appear every thousand (or was it 3000?) years. Then, Goku was supposed to be that legend. Of course, when DBZ continued and everyone transformed, they tried to justify the super saiyan legend by adding brolly. Which of course created further confusion.

Seeing as how brolly was filler, the only logical explanation is that the super saiyan legend is not related to time but rather skill. But it really makes no difference. Its the same reason why Piccolo grew up in 3 years and Dende grew up in 10.
-Legends are just legends. If one saiyan can do it, they all can.
-Brolly wasn't just a filler. It was the best movie they ever made. The second was ok. The third one sucked.
-Piccalo used growth hormones.

And GT is better than Naruto.

No it was not. It was part of the legend that one would appear every thousand (or was it 3000?) years. Then, Goku was supposed to be that legend. Of course, when DBZ continued and everyone transformed, they tried to justify the super saiyan legend by adding brolly. Which of course created further confusion.

And guess what? They only mentioned that fact when Goku needed to get more powerful. It was a power-up.

Last edited:
With all this Naruto hate I think I might watch Filler Hell just to prove something to myself(and I probably wouldn't resist the urge to watch anyway.:p). BTW, I never watched most of GT(though with all this talk of filler I might get myself to watch the subs).

I'll admit one thing--I agree with Chris in that a good chunk of the fight last week was the soft line, lack of detail drawing style that I'm averted to(like the first 4 Digimon movies and 6th OP movie--I got yelled at for disliking it here, and I hadn't even seen the One Piece movie in question at the time. Internet=serious business.T_T). But there seemed to be constant action so I could shrug it off and keep watching.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
You just have to stop taking it more seriously than you're supposed to. Characters had been getting reduced roles ever since the begginning of DBZ. Vegeta's mustache was a joke, even among the serie's characters. Gohan was nerdy because that's what he does, and GT was employed a lighter tone. Besides, Dragon Ball was never much for character development to begin with, but wouldn't keeping all characters the same over a decade-long time skip be the opposite of character development?

The Super Saiyan was a plot device to carry Goku what should have been, and what was intended to be, the end of the series. It should have been nothing more than a mysterious ending note. Unlike most stories that reach a fully realized climax, however, Dragon Ball had to keep going. In the Cell arc, it was used way too seriously as a means of upping characters' power, and by the Buu arc, it's obvious that the intent was to just take it in as over-the-top a direction as could be done.

-Brolly wasn't just a filler. It was the best movie they ever made. The second was ok. The third one sucked.
It doesn't matter. All the movies were terrible. Anything from GT is better than anything from the movies. Hell, anything from Naruto is better than anything from the movies. Lots of stuff from Pokemon is better than the movies, even.

Last edited:

Seiryu

Resident dragon
With all this Naruto hate I think I might watch Filler Hell just to prove something to myself(and I probably wouldn't resist the urge to watch anyway.:p). BTW, I never watched most of GT(though with all this talk of filler I might get myself to watch the subs).

Good luck with that. I tried back in fall of 2006. Now, I like to think that I have decent willpower, but I still couldn't get through half of it. That crappy Star country arc with the radioactive chakra or whatever the hell it was was the straw that broke my camel's back. Unfortunately, that meant never seeing the goodness of Afro Guy, but I think that keeping what little sanity I had left at the time was of greater import.

On the present topic, I can't really decide which I dislike more. GT did have a lot of crap, but it at least came to an end. On the other hand, Naruto started off okay and had some decent moments, but then came the eighty-five straight episodes of filler (only maybe five of which are actually anywhere near decent) followed by one of the most drag-tastic things I've seen (or rather, read about) since "Five minutes until Namek explodes!" So, I am going to refrain from choosing.

Red Ryu

I'm one of those oddballs that prefers actual, interesting animated movements as opposed to consistency and stiffness.

Granted, there are a fair examples of great animation and on-model characters, but those are few and far between with anime.

Take Noein, for example; most who care about animators in anime love the show to death (at least technically). There's really zero consistency in the way the characters are drawn, but that's because each episode has a different person handling it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's still visually one of the most fascinating anime series for sheer animation.

And even the most consistently animated and on-model anime aren't always complete pinnacles of greatness. Texhnolyze has somewhat lackluster key frames (in spite of how sharp the production values are), and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time has a couple rough and low spots in frame rates. (But visually both anime kick the **** out of 99% of anime, anyhow.)

Hell, even Mind Game -- which is the most visually imaginative and fun anime outside of Mononoke (not the Ghibli movie, for you ignorant folk) -- has a director who can't really draw. But that's not really the point of animation.

I like how you think.

SudovVoOdO

The afro is powerful
Naruto has a bad reputation due to its fillers, dbgt was too painful to watch. I know a lots of people who started recently with watching naruto, they skipped the fillers so naruto stayed as cool as it was.