• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NBA/NCAAB Thread

Who will win the Larry O'Brian Trophy this year?

• Miami Heat

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • San Antonio Spurs

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Brooklyn Nets (ew)

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Houston Rockets

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • L.A. Clippers

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Oklahoma City Thunder

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Chicago Bulls

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Indiana Pacers

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Golden State Warriors

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Other (Specify in comment)

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

Mye

Someone has to win..
The Knicks are so bad lol. I don't think Carmelo will be there much longer.

That's the beauty with him/the knicks right now. Yes, he'll probably be long gone at the end of the season, but if he is they're probably gonna have to eat a massive amount of that contract. Melo's proved that he can't do much in the playoffs, and that he HAS to have it his way in order for him to actually be productive. Minus one of the crappier teams in the league and/or Sacramento, I'm doubtful anyone would want that.

Volcer

Shur'tugal
As part of three-team deal between the Thunder, Knicks and Cavs, Dion Waiters goes to the Thunder, J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert go to the Cavs and three players with nonguaranteed contracts -- Alex Kirk and Lou Amundson from the Cavs and Lance Thomas from the Thunder -- join the Knicks. Also, the Thunder are sending a protected future first-round draft pick to the Cavs, who are sending their 2019 second-round pick to the Knicks.

Thunder win this by far. They got Waiters for essentially spare change and now their bench is stronger, but there might be chemistry issues, but good deal for them anyway.

Cavs should have made an attempt to find a good rim-protector, but Shump provides some good perimeter defense and Smith is an ok backup at shooting-guard.

Knicks clear a good amount of cap space, and manage to dump Smith, so good trade for them too.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I don't really blame them. The Pistons have been a massive dumpster fire since the late 2000's, it's about time the fans had something to celebrate about. Granted, I'm not 100% convinced Josh Smith was basically the entire difference between them being a laughingstock and being a legitimate playoff team, but they're more fun to watch now than at any point since the late 2000's.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The Pistons haven't had a winning season since 2007. After 2007 the Pistons became a dumpster fire. Honestly, when I said fans were partying like it's 2004 I didn't mean that in a sarcastic/negative way, lol. I can't blame Pistons fans for celebrating. I'm happy for the Pistons.

Mye

Someone has to win..
The Pistons haven't had a winning season since 2007. After 2007 the Pistons became a dumpster fire. Honestly, when I said fans were partying like it's 2004 I didn't mean that in a sarcastic/negative way, lol. I can't blame Pistons fans for celebrating. I'm happy for the Pistons.

Yeah, the last time they even had anything more than a 4 game winning streak was back in 2009 (and they followed that up by losing 20 of their following 24, including two different 8 game losing streaks). Considering the fact the pistons are actually trying, and don't have the firepower and/or luck other teams do (ie: the Toronto Faptors), I actually applaud the pistons for this much like I applaud the Pelicans. Many people thought they'd suck balls this year, and while they probably will after this winning streak ends, at least they have that going for them (unlike the city of Philadelphia, that has a bad NHL team a poor excuse for an NBA team and a soon to be slaughtered MLB team).

ebevan91

Jeff Green to Memphis. I like this move for us as it gets rid of aging Prince's expiring contract and we get a little younger with Green.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The Pistons 7 game win streak was snapped by Atlanta. Well, the streak was fun while it lasted. Dang.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Jeff Green to Memphis. I like this move for us as it gets rid of aging Prince's expiring contract and we get a little younger with Green.

Yeah, the Celtics are confusing me as of late. I get that they're trying to rebuild, but if anything now is the worst time to do so. The heat are crappy, the Cavs showed they can't win consistently without Lebron, and the best teams in the league (atlanta, toronto) relied heavily on luck for the first part of the season. I understand that many people think that they have no chance to win a title, but even in the east they could still make the playoffs as a 7th or 6th seed. Unlike the west, in which 50wins will probably guarantee a 6th seed at best.

Also a fun fact: the last time the pistons had a streak of 7+ games, it too was snapped by the hawks (at least from what I heard, go go gadget espn).

Navin

MALDREAD
The Pistons 7 game win streak was snapped by Atlanta. Well, the streak was fun while it lasted. Dang.

Atlanta dominated that first half so badly I stopped following the game. Then I checked back in the 4Q and saw that Detroit came back. The pre-win streak Pistons would have lost by 30 so there's the silver lining.

Also Michigan basketball came down from 9 and won against Minnesota. The tournament is still a reach but wins like these help.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Atlanta dominated that first half so badly I stopped following the game. Then I checked back in the 4Q and saw that Detroit came back. The pre-win streak Pistons would have lost by 30 so there's the silver lining.

Also Michigan basketball came down from 9 and won against Minnesota. The tournament is still a reach but wins like these help.

Good points about the Pistons.

Yeah, Michigan was down by like 9 points and came back. This is a nice win, hopefully Michigan can keep winning more games.

XYMewtwo

Rising Star
Being from Detroit, I'm actually happy with our basketball team at this point in time :3. They beat the Raptors yesterday, and are now a few games away from being an 8th seed in the playoffs. Not bad, considering we were 5-23 to begin with.

I don't really pay that much attention to UofM basketball anymore, especially after Stauskas left for Sacramento. They're looking good though, the win against Minnesota and all.

Last edited:
I'm from LA, the Lakers are my favorite team, despite having a whopping 12 wins. Kobe needs to retire or get traded asap...

Mye

Someone has to win..
I'm from LA, the Lakers are my favorite team, despite having a whopping 12 wins. Kobe needs to retire or get traded asap...

Yeah, I doubt either of those will happen until 2016. Kobe's said constantly that he wants to retire a Laker, and that he wants to do everything he can to make his team 'playoff ready'. Unless him retiring would make his team better, which it wouldn't (the lakers have a winning percentage of .280 with him out of the lineup dating back to 2008) he's very likely gonna stay and try his best to make sure his team is the best it can be, even if it means taking 50 shots a game.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
Looking back at this year's Kentucky team, I'm seeing a lot of similarity in a mix of the Wall team and the Davis team but better.

Yeah, An undefeared season would be great; but, Winning it all come April is better since the postseason is more important than the regular season after all.

Alabama does look like a good team but I don't see the best chance of being upseted until @ South Carolina next weekend following with the surprising February 17th matchup up @ Tennessee. Yeah, Tennessee ain't all basketball; but, after their upsets of then high ranked Butler and the recent upset against #19 Arkansas shows that they could pull upsets at Thompson Bowling Areana.

Other than that, Best thing for LAL to do for the rest of the seaoon is just to in sense tank and start planning for post-Kobe because it's coming here soon and they are not going to keep their draft pick this year if they don't get in the top 5 due to Phoenix owning the right after the Steve Nash deal back in 2012.

Cancer0081

Team Aqua member
so the Thunder FINALLY beat the Warriors this season. winning the game 127-115. also that's the most points allowed by the Warriors this season. so there's a plus in the win. another would be that Westbrook got his ninth career triple-double.

ebevan91

so the Thunder FINALLY beat the Warriors this season. winning the game 127-115. also that's the most points allowed by the Warriors this season. so there's a plus in the win. another would be that Westbrook got his ninth career triple-double.

His stat line last night was downright nasty.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Well, the Cavs have won 9 in a row. LeBron's return is working out nicely. Tonight is the game in Minnesota, K-Love's first since the trade.

Under my proposed "crossover" playoff format, right now New Orleans and Oklahoma City, ranked 9 and 10 in the West, would cross over to the Eastern Conference playoffs, displacing Miami and Brooklyn as the Pelicans and Thunder have better records than those two teams. The East would look like this for the playoffs:

Seeds:

1. Atlanta (39-8)
2. Toronto (32-15)
3. Washington (31-16)
4. Chicago (30-19)
5. Cleveland (28-20)
6. New Orleans (25-22)*
7. Milwaukee (24-22)
8. Oklahoma City (23-23)*

* - crossover team

Out under my format:
Miami (20-26)
Charlotte (19-27)

So yeah, this format would, currently, keep the four-time defending Eastern Conference champs, who are not the same now that LeBron's back home, out of the playoffs.

Here are what would be the matchups:
Atlanta-Oklahoma City
Toronto-Milwaukee
Washington-New Orleans
Chicago-Cleveland

So, this format is intended to address the biggest criticism of the current playoff format - strong teams in the West get locked out while weaker teams can get in in the East. This format would no longer reward a team just by finishing in the top 8 in their conference. To get in the playoffs, you have to be be in the top 16 in the league. Whether you play in your conference's playoffs would depend on if you finish below 8th in your conference under the current system or not (for example, right now as mentioned above, Western teams New Orleans and Oklahoma City would be playing in the Eastern Conference playoffs). As well, not only would division winners no longer automatically get a top 4 seed, but also, teams would be re-seeded after each round like in the NFL (and formerly the NHL) - such that the highest-remaining seed in each conference plays the lowest-remaining seed in each conference, and the two in the middle also meet in the conference semi-finals.

These changes intend to make the NBA playoffs more competitive.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Not sure if this counts, but apparently one of the best players in the WNBA is sitting out the rest of the season because the team she also plays for in russia (which pays her 1.5m a season as compared to the max salary of the WNBA being 100k a season) wants her to. I get that women's basketball isn't as popular as men's, but still, losing that much starpower due to the lack of a decent salary is just awful.