• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NBA/NCAAB Thread

Who will win the Larry O'Brian Trophy this year?

• Miami Heat

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • San Antonio Spurs

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Brooklyn Nets (ew)

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Houston Rockets

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • L.A. Clippers

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Oklahoma City Thunder

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Chicago Bulls

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Indiana Pacers

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Golden State Warriors

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Other (Specify in comment)

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

Navin

MALDREAD
I know college basketball has been over with but Mitch McGary is going to the NBA.....He's recieved a year long ban from the NCAA for smoking pot. He failed a drug test...If he gets drafted even in the 2nd round he'll be lucky.

McGary forced to go to the NBA draft because he smoked a joint. I can understand a year-long suspension if he took PEDs, steroids, or the like. But...weed...that probably impairs you more than anything, and probably isn't any worse than alcohol. Dude wasn't even actively playing and passed all his other tests and was a first-time offender and says he smoked once in March and ended up getting tested at the tournament a month later (and he didn't have to admit this...this would have been secret but he was accountable enough to come out and admit his mistake).

The rules are just dumb though. Even the NCAA realized it was dumb and changed it, but since McGary's test was like a week before those changes, he fell under the old rules. Michigan even appealed and it was denied, even though I don't get why. It's rather disturbing how some players commit actual serious crimes and are still allowed to play, but an inactive McGary smokes something that's probably going to be legal in a lot more states soon and faces a year suspension. If the school punishment is 3 games, the 'harsher' tournament punishment if anything should just be like maximum 10 games.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
McGary forced to go to the NBA draft because he smoked a joint. I can understand a year-long suspension if he took PEDs, steroids, or the like. But...weed...that probably impairs you more than anything, and probably isn't any worse than alcohol. Dude wasn't even actively playing and passed all his other tests and was a first-time offender and says he smoked once in March and ended up getting tested at the tournament a month later (and he didn't have to admit this...this would have been secret but he was accountable enough to come out and admit his mistake).

The rules are just dumb though. Even the NCAA realized it was dumb and changed it, but since McGary's test was like a week before those changes, he fell under the old rules. Michigan even appealed and it was denied, even though I don't get why. It's rather disturbing how some players commit actual serious crimes and are still allowed to play, but an inactive McGary smokes something that's probably going to be legal in a lot more states soon and faces a year suspension. If the school punishment is 3 games, the 'harsher' tournament punishment if anything should just be like maximum 10 games.

Excellent post. I think it's really too extreme honestly. A one year ban for only being a first time offender? If that's the case the NCAA better go around and hand out one year bans to every other student athlete that has smoked pot. McGary isn't the only student athlete that has smoked pot. There's players out there getting away with smoking pot, taking peds and they all get away with it. The NCAA is a joke when it comes to discipline.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I don't really see Dallas beating San Antonio, and personally I don't think Dallas deserve to be in the playoffs. I rather have Phoenix over Dallas.

I'm going to spill some truth tea. Phoenix deserved to be in the playoffs, you're right. Compared to Charlotte or Atlanta (no disrespect) and half of what is playing in the Eastern conference, they should have. But there's no such thing as deserving to be in the playoffs. You get in by being in the Top8 teams in the conference, if you're not, then that it's your own damn fault for losing too much.

They came back from 0-1 and it's 2-1 at the moment, with the next game being at Dallas.. You tell me.. If they make it 3-1 tomorrow, then the Spurs are going to be in a lot of trouble.

Portland (vs. Houston): 2-1
Dallas (vs. SanAntonio): 2-1
Memphis (vs. Oklahoma): 2-2
Clippers (vs. GSW): 2-2

So far, my picks aren't that far off.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
lol what happen on game 4 - durant and westbrook combined for 11 out of 45 fg, if not for reggie jackson i think okc won't stand a chance against mem during that time.

ugh rockets lose, its now 3-1 - its now or never, the next game is their last chance for a 3-2 but even if they win on their home court i think it will be impossible i think to win on the road again because of today's outcome.

looks like heat is the only last team standing having a 3-0 lead, i think they will go all the way 4-0 tomorrow i bet.

from what i can see i think the best 1st rd playoffs might be this year, with so many series tied series and some at 2-1 or even 3-1 - at least if there is a 4-0 i bet there is going to be one team doing that - HEAT!!!

and then there's the 8 vs 1 seed, both 1st place are in a bit of trouble

dallas leads series 2 -1 (oh no what happen spurs?)
pacers and hawks 2- 2 ( we'll see game 5 ;))

Last edited:

Puma Italia

There have been so many good games in the first round, and I have missed almost all of them. Except I did see the end of the last Spurs/Mavs game with Vince Carter being clutch. Record wise, the Hawks didn't "deserve" to be in the playoffs, but they didn't just lay down for the Pacers and are giving them a tough time.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Yeah, the whole clippers situation is making me laugh histarically whenever I see it right now (for all those wondering what happened, the owner of the clippers (old white guy) said he didn't want black people at his games (despite over 2/3rds of the nba consisting of black people, notably the head coach and three best players of his team) ). From what I read this morning, Magic Johnson's group (the same group that purchased the dodgers/basically made them the west coast yankees) now wants to have a chance to purchase said team. Out of this entire situation, I see three things happening:

1) The Clippers owner will be punished in a unique way: the guy has a total worth of 1.9 billion, so fining him would be meaningless. If the comish is smart, he'll instead focus on suspending the owner for the first few days of free agency (preventing him from re/signing players or acquiring the "top free agents"). That'll teach him.

2) There will be a ton of players leaving the team: plenty of players have already expressed a desire to leave the team after this, and plenty of GM's have expressed a desire to acquire said players (notably Charlotte, Miami, Brooklyn, and the Lakers). Plenty will flee, few will remain

3) Silver's "legacy" will begin but hopefully won't be defined by this: When David Stern left, I was deeply saddened. The guy made the draft incredibly fun for me (I still have the past five drafts TiVo'd as they were so entertaining), he shared a bond with the players that made him more of the fun uncle than the "boss", and he left a legacy that easily made him one of the greatest comissioners (of any league) of all time. Adam Silver's legacy begins with this situation, and for once we'll finally get to see what sort of guy he is. If he goes too lenient, he'll be portrayed as Selig. If he goes too harsh, he'll be Bettman. In either case, this will be one issue in which people will finally get to see what the next few years are like.

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
I'm not surprised the Heat swept the Bobcat soon to be Hornets next season.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
unfortunately my predictions were true, i didn't know it will really affect the outcome

so my guess was heat wins against bobcats , well this one was no exception and besides with the absence of al jefferson so the game ends like that.

lebron james shakes hands with michael jordan - oh i didn't know that jordan was the owner of bobcats ;)

for the pacers and hawks - my guess was hawks are going to dominate the pacers in which they did - i was shocked with the 2nd qtr where they are able to score 41 pts but mostly scored from their bench Mike Scott and Shelvin Mack

so hawks 3 - 2 pacers ( sorry it looks like the game is going to be over on game 6 :( unless pacers will do a miracle winning the game)

spurs wins to tie series 2 to 2 a piece, oh my what did blair just do why does he need to go far to kick splitter's head :eek:

I'm not surprised the Heat swept the Bobcat soon to be Hornets next season.

i think this was very obvious unless one of the heat best players go missing

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The Hawks are up 3-2 on the Pacers now. I thought the Pacers were one of the better teams in the east that would have a great shot at beating the Heat, but the Pacers have imploded.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Breaking news, sorta: after his racist remarks, Clippers owner Donald Sterling received a 2.5mil fine AND a lifetime ban from the NBA for his racist comments. While I certainly did not see this coming (look at my post above), it does make perfect sense. Rather than having the entire Clippers franchise be "tainted" for the next few years, they decided to do the whole "pete rose" thing and kill off one thing rather than the franchise itself.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Sterling has been saying **** like this for YEARS and David Stern didn't do squat about it. Now when Sterling spouts off nonsense yet again, he gets hammered by the brand new commissioner Adam Silver?

This stinks to high heaven. I am willing to bet Stern covered up Sterling's mess ups.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
wizards close the series beating bulls 4 -1, maybe if only tab gibson continues to play on the remaining quarter, the bulls might somehow had a shot against them but even with that i don't think they can put a win on the wizards court.

wizards will face the winner of hawks and pacers though i think hawks would probably sweep game 6 since its their home court.

grizzlies beat thunders take leads 3 -2 with a 100 to 99 win , okc was so close since ibaka's shot was not counted at the end of overtime - so i guess memphis might probably win the series just like they did on the past years.

clippers beat warriors 113 to 103 and takes the series lead 3 -2, woah it looks like the tables have turned where the warriors will take game 1 but after series tied 2 to 2 a piece the clippers eventually gain momentum to win on their home court.

now i wonder if the game will reach game 7, since its warriors home court for game 6 - at least there's an exciting match for me to look forward :)

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
Breaking news, sorta: after his racist remarks, Clippers owner Donald Sterling received a 2.5mil fine AND a lifetime ban from the NBA for his racist comments. While I certainly did not see this coming (look at my post above), it does make perfect sense. Rather than having the entire Clippers franchise be "tainted" for the next few years, they decided to do the whole "pete rose" thing and kill off one thing rather than the franchise itself.

While I agree Sterling is an idiot and deserved a hefty penalty, I can't help but feel this was an over-reactive punishment. I can understand a 3-5 year ban, but not lifetime. As Zeno said above, people have known about Sterling for years. And c'mon some players and others associated with NBA do worse stuff - like actual crimes, and they receive only minor punishments and come back. Anyway, I hope this race stuff is consistently dealt with - anyone who says racist remarks about whites, hispanics, brown, etc shouldn't receive any less.

ebevan91

Memphis really should consider winning games in regulation and not in OT. 4th OT game in a row man... do you know how nervewracking just ONE OT game is? But 4 in a row? I feel like I've aged 30 years over the past 2 weeks.

Mye

Someone has to win..
While I agree Sterling is an idiot and deserved a hefty penalty, I can't help but feel this was an over-reactive punishment. I can understand a 3-5 year ban, but not lifetime. As Zeno said above, people have known about Sterling for years. And c'mon some players and others associated with NBA do worse stuff - like actual crimes, and they receive only minor punishments and come back. Anyway, I hope this race stuff is consistently dealt with - anyone who says racist remarks about whites, hispanics, brown, etc shouldn't receive any less.

...and this isn't a hate crime? There are two logical reasons why the punishment was what it is: this is the first evidence-backed scenario of sterling doing this, and Silver had to make a point on there being no racial discrimination allowed. Don't get me wrong, there are a bunch of things that could make me hate silver right now (namely if he does this to all of sterling's friends and family, or goes lenient on other crap). From what I've seen though, a harsher brand of justice could help not just make this game fairer, but could inspire other commisioners (bettman) to do the same.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
We get the point. Sterlings an idiot. The NBA dealt with him, now it's time to focus on basketball. I'm sure this story will fade away slowly once the Heat 3 peat. Then Espn will salivate all over Lebron even more. They already salivate over him enough as it is.

Navin

MALDREAD
Memphis really should consider winning games in regulation and not in OT. 4th OT game in a row man... do you know how nervewracking just ONE OT game is? But 4 in a row? I feel like I've aged 30 years over the past 2 weeks.

Westbrook and KD have struggled this series. Honestly surprised with OKC's firepower, they're losing this series 2-3.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Westbrook and KD have struggled this series. Honestly surprised with OKC's firepower, they're losing this series 2-3.

I'm not. Memphis has been one of the better defensive teams for the past few years, and is basically continuing on from where the left off last year. While they do lead 3-2 in the series, having 4 games go to overtime is concerning as it suggests that the games are more luck-based and less skill-based (which'll inevitably favor the thunder should it shift back towards skill being a dominant factor). I could see this going to game seven with OKC winning via blowout to advance to round two.

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
haha Mike D'Antoni resigns as Laker's head coach.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
spurs defeat mavericks (109-103) to take series lead 3-2
raptors defeat nets ( 115-113) to take series lead 3-2, kudos to the nets even if they lost who sets a new franchise record of 44 points during the 4th quarter loss beating atlanta's 41 pts franchise record

oh wait what do we got here, home court advantage reasons?

rockets beat the blazers 108-98 to save themselves on the brink of elimination but probably i think the blazers would probably finish things off in game 6 where they had a home court advantage.

Last edited: