• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NBA/NCAAB Thread

Who will win the Larry O'Brian Trophy this year?

• Miami Heat

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • San Antonio Spurs

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Brooklyn Nets (ew)

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Houston Rockets

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • L.A. Clippers

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Oklahoma City Thunder

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Chicago Bulls

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Indiana Pacers

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Golden State Warriors

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Other (Specify in comment)

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

ger9119

They also said that Lebron joining the team would be the only way Cleveland could have a legitimate chance at winning a title, and that without him they'd be a .500 team at best. Oh wait...

Your point about them winning versus Atlanta with Irving only playing one game, while hilariously bad on multiple levels, is still a point. Atlanta was an average-at-best team going into this season that got lucky in the regular season by having a weak schedule, and got lucky in the playoffs by facing two teams who "realistically" weren't going to be making the conference finals (and even then, they lost two games to brooklyn and two games to washington). The warriors had a far more difficult schedule (primarily because they play in the notoriously more difficult western conference), and had to play Memphis and houston prior to this (one and half of one team that could've won the championship). If Cleveland can't win game 2, it'll be a surprise if they win any more than 2 games after that, as while Lebron is strong he's facing a team that has a pretty hard time losing 3 games in a row this season.

They have the best player going, I'm not going to count Lebron out of this series based off one guy going down whose been ineffective the entire playoff run and his backup has outplayed him the entire playoff run.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
They also said that Lebron joining the team would be the only way Cleveland could have a legitimate chance at winning a title, and that without him they'd be a .500 team at best. Oh wait...

Your point about them winning versus Atlanta with Irving only playing one game, while hilariously bad on multiple levels, is still a point. Atlanta was an average-at-best team going into this season that got lucky in the regular season by having a weak schedule, and got lucky in the playoffs by facing two teams who "realistically" weren't going to be making the conference finals (and even then, they lost two games to brooklyn and two games to washington). The warriors had a far more difficult schedule (primarily because they play in the notoriously more difficult western conference), and had to play Memphis and houston prior to this (one and half of one team that could've won the championship). If Cleveland can't win game 2, it'll be a surprise if they win any more than 2 games after that, as while Lebron is strong he's facing a team that has a pretty hard time losing 3 games in a row this season.

Lebron scored almost the amount of points as the "Splash Brothers" combined. I think that the four most mediocre performances of game one were of Thompson, Dellavedova, Shumpert, and Smith. This is most likely due to the fact that they have never played such a big game before. With the PG position again resting on Dova's back and the Smith/Shumpert duo most likely bouncing back and making some key plays for us, I believe the Cavs still definitely have a shot. Thompson, on the other hand, had a great game with several rebounds, but didn't rack up as many points as we needed. We all watched it go into overtime. Just one player making one more shot throughout the game would have sealed a win. If they get angry and recover like I believe they will, I see the series going far.

John Madden

resident policy guy

Literally everything in this post until the last sentence is wrong and I'm kind of proud.

(Well, aside from the .500 crack, but the team was something like 51-21 with him playing to 2-8 without, and that's including the two months of Dion Waiters and Mike Miller in or near the starting lineup.)

Atlanta wasn't anywhere near "average at best" given that they wrecked basically the entire Western Conference all year long and given that they were solid with Horford last year; the cause of their playoff disappointment wasn't much of anything other than the NYPD's assist in breaking Thabo's leg (given how badly they beat Cleveland in March at a time when the latter team was going off on everyone); and both Memphis and Houston (alongside the Western Conference as a whole outside of San Antonio and GS) weren't nearly as good as you're making them out to be - particularly in comparison to the team GS is currently playing.

Speaking of which:

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/RUaFpfI.jpg[/img139]

Last edited:
Atlanta was an above average team. They weren't one of those teams that you would characterize as the best ever in any particular area but their team play was excellent. The reason they got throttled in their last series and had trouble in the playoffs, to me, is pretty similar to that of the Chicago Bulls year in and year out. Their team was simply riddled with injuries to the point where they could not put up a lasting series against a highly skilled team. Atlanta was definitely more than an average team. Winning 67 games should be enough by itself to show that. Yes, they had many games where they played terrible teams. Is that their fault? No. They play in the Eastern Conference, which in the past decade has been the lesser of the two conferences. In head to head match-ups they were also able to whip on a majority of the Western Conference teams that they faced off against. So in summation: Atlanta Hawks prolific? Nah. Excellent? In some areas yes. Above average/Good? Definitely.

Last edited:

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
[video=youtube;0Z2O6K1GiQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z2O6K1GiQk[/video]

I'm not really surprised by this, though. Then again, there's plenty who simply root for the team without any prior in-depth knowledge about the history or players......or both.

Speaking of which, Marshawn Lynch will definitely win the championship for the Warriors.

That stuff is so dumb. Why can't people just say they don't know who or what they're talking about? I am a Cavaliers fan, hands down, because I am from northern Ohio. I know enough about LeBron and Kyrie and most of the squad based on ESPN and watching all the playoff games/bigger regular season games, but I would never make a fool of myself by saying I know something about which I don't. It's silly.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
It looks like Golden State finally woke up in game 4. Iggy had one heckuva game. Honestly, that game was do or die for Golden State in my opinion.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Jimmy Kimmel pays people to do stuff like that on his show, right? I remember reading that some talk shows do that when they can't get actual guests, purely for entertainment (apparently Maury Povich would have interns/local actors come on and use their performance on there as their "audition tape" for other roles, and that a few MTV stars actually started as maury guests). Also incredibly annoyed to see that the warriors won, purely because they didn't do so in a blowout that I really want to see at least once in these playoffs. Until either team wins by at least 30 or we see one team score 130+ points, I will not be satisfied.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Jimmy Kimmel pays people to do stuff like that on his show, right? I remember reading that some talk shows do that when they can't get actual guests, purely for entertainment (apparently Maury Povich would have interns/local actors come on and use their performance on there as their "audition tape" for other roles, and that a few MTV stars actually started as maury guests). Also incredibly annoyed to see that the warriors won, purely because they didn't do so in a blowout that I really want to see at least once in these playoffs. Until either team wins by at least 30 or we see one team score 130+ points, I will not be satisfied.

You don't consider a 21 point game a blowout?

Mye

Someone has to win..
Not a traditional/old fashioned one. I still remember when I was a kid, and Jordan would throw up 50-60 points with his team winning by 45 or 50 by the end of the game. Now THOSE were blowouts.

Lord Scalgon

What title?
Jimmy Kimmel pays people to do stuff like that on his show, right? I remember reading that some talk shows do that when they can't get actual guests, purely for entertainment (apparently Maury Povich would have interns/local actors come on and use their performance on there as their "audition tape" for other roles, and that a few MTV stars actually started as maury guests).

That I'm not sure...but I know Maury does, however.

Speaking of the upcoming Game 5 today, given I am from the Bay Area, it's just not surprising when driving through hectic traffic is inevitable. But then again, I always have to take that freeway, so...

Wow...I actually picked a series right for once (GS in 6). Glad to see that Lebron James did not win another Championship.

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
Didn't really wanted the Golden State Warriors to win but congrats to them for winning. I heard the Cavs fans were booing them during the ceremony -smh-. Anyways now that the NBA season is done, we should breakdown the game on Space Jam. I find this video to be entertaining for those who watch the movie :)

The Breakdown of Space Jam

Last edited:

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Free agency starts tomorrow. I pretty much know the answer, but what do the Celtics have that can land them anybody of actual value?

Free agency starts tomorrow. I pretty much know the answer, but what do the Celtics have that can land them anybody of actual value?
Basically their argument is the same as the Lakers minus Kobe Bryant..."Hey we were great once and can be again, but we're in rebuilding mode. At least if you go with us you don't have to worry about a late 30's player hogging the ball all the time."

Snivy18

Basically their argument is the same as the Lakers minus Kobe Bryant..."Hey we were great once and can be again, but we're in rebuilding mode. At least if you go with us you don't have to worry about a late 30's player hogging the ball all the time."

Speaking of the Lakers, I'm pretty happy for Jeremy Lin to leave to Hornets. Kaminsky and Lin on Hornets sounds good for me, since I'm from Wisconsin! :D

Snivy18

Spurs getting Aldridge was amazing, didn't think they'd ever chase a big name in free agency, but they did. Glad we resigned Danny Green and Kawhi too, as well as David West.

Honestly, I think the Spurs might actually make it to somewhat near the NBA Finals again. They seem like a very bulky team now with Aldridge on board.