• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Need Competitive Team Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaArrow

Cobalions Wrath
I am currently making a comp team on Pearl and need help.

I know about EVs, IVs, and Natures. I know about Sweepers, Annoyers, Walls, Tanks, etc.

What I need help with is I have no idea what 4th gen pokemon are tanks (Physical and Special)

My team is being composed of: P.Sweeper, S.Sweeper, P.Tank, S.Tank, Wall, and Annoyer.

What pokemon in your opinion are good tanks for comp battling?

Note: Blissy is my Wall pokemon.

Please reply, I've been asking around for a while now, googling for a few days, but nothing is really helping. All I am seeing is "Dragonite, Flygon, Salamance, Tyranitar, and Rydon" and I personally don't like any of them.

Thank's in advance.

I am currently making a comp team on Pearl and need help.

I know about EVs, IVs, and Natures. I know about Sweepers, Annoyers, Walls, Tanks, etc.

What I need help with is I have no idea what 4th gen pokemon are tanks (Physical and Special)

My team is being composed of: P.Sweeper, S.Sweeper, P.Tank, S.Tank, Wall, and Annoyer.

What pokemon in your opinion are good tanks for comp battling?

Note: Blissy is my Wall pokemon.

Please reply, I've been asking around for a while now, googling for a few days, but nothing is really helping. All I am seeing is "Dragonite, Flygon, Salamance, Tyranitar, and Rydon" and I personally don't like any of them.

Thank's in advance.

Walls, Sweepers etc are outdated terms that should not be used to create a team. While team building and EV / moveset creation is a highly technical staggeringly complicated process there is a simple way to do it.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/ou

Go to the above link and select a Fire / Water / Grass / Steel / something holding Choice Scarf / filler. Make sure one Pokemon knows Stealth Rock. Pick a good lead as well (Azelf, Metagross, Infernape, Dragonite, and Swampert are all solid lead choices). Get something either immune to, or able to absorb (through Natural Cure) Thunder Wave. Try to have at most one Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock (zero weak is best). If you MUST have two you need to protect them with Rapid Spin support and / or a Taunt lead like Aerodactyl or Azelf.

Don't use Dusknoir, Umbreon, Weavile, Togekiss, Ninjask, or Electivire. These Pokemon are terrible.

DeltaArrow

Cobalions Wrath
Well on the "Pokemon Online" (unoficial) thing (the battle simulator, I'm sure you've heard of it.) I tried a team consisting of: Ninetales as lead to set in sunny day, houndoom to just slaughter everything with its now boosted fire attacks, Snorlax (not gonna explain him, he was a failure.) Grumpig to Taunt and then "Wall" (but since that's outdated term, I dunno what to say other than stand there and take damage while Toxic played out) Lanturn (which was my favorite tactic) to Parafus the opponent and then surf the **** out of it, and if it got dangerous it had Volt Switch. And Cobalion. I just added him because I like him. But yeah, I think the only thing I learned from my first attempt at a team is that Taunt is a definite must have.

And thank you, I'll be sure to try Aerodactyle or Azelf out tomorrow :) I'm using the pokemon battle simulator thing to test out any teams and/or strategies before wasting my time on EV training pokemon.

DeltaArrow

Cobalions Wrath
Oh, and one more question. Since the terms are out dated, does that mean the strategies are as well? Like, Blissy can no longer "Wall"? Or did I miss something while reading your reply about the terms?

Wait, so are you playing 4th gen or 5th gen?

4th gen games are Diamond / Pearl / Platinum / Heart Gold / Soul Silver
5th gen is Black / White / Black 2 / White 2

All simulators like Pokemon Online play 5th gen by default (you use Cobalion which means you are playing 5th gen) but are capable of playing 4th gen.

My advice depends on what you want to play. Probably 99% of people currently play 5th gen, though a small pocket of players still play 4th gen games.

DeltaArrow

Cobalions Wrath
Well I don't have a 5th gen game, only 4th. I was using 5th gen tactics on the simulator, but I'd imagine since I used movepools available in 4th gen i could try to decide which pokemon I like better.

Oh, and one more question. Since the terms are out dated, does that mean the strategies are as well? Like, Blissy can no longer "Wall"? Or did I miss something while reading your reply about the terms?

Nah, some Pokemon can still "wall" things, and others can still sweep. The point I believe Mag is getting at is that the old archetype of Physical Sweeper + Special Sweeper + Physical Wall + Special Wall + Revenge Killer + Support (or other variations, like what you're going after now) is very outdated. Nowadays, there are so many Pokemon and team archetypes that you have to be worried about that you really should be less concerned about fulfilling certain roles on a team and more about keeping as much as you can in check while also creating some sort of win condition. This is obviously more true to a greater extent in 5th Gen than 4th Gen due to the increased number of threats and variety in team archetypes, but even in 4th Gen it is more efficient to just focus on building a solid team and not on filling slots for certain jobs.

But yeah, teams in late 4th Gen OU have become pretty standard ever since Salamence was banned before the release of BW. Mag's advice about the FWG core + other stuff is pretty simple but effective. Of course, any great DPPt OU player would probably kill me for saying that, but it's a good way to get you started, lol.

DeltaArrow

Cobalions Wrath
I've been playing Pokemon since I was 6, but this is my first attempt at a comp team (other than on the battle sim), so it's very confusing. And I know that the release of x&y is coming soon, but I will probably update to a 5th gen game so I don't have to buy a 3DS for one game. I'm currently too poor at the moment to get any new game, but I might as well EV train some pokemon for my future 5th gen game to trade over. I might just have to wait until I can come across some cash to buy the 3DS and update to both 5th and 6th gen to play comp, since not many people really do comp 4th gen anymore, to my knowledge anyway. As for the battle sim, I can still enjoy finding different strategies to take out other players. Especially since it connects with other players doing the exact same thing I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.