• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Need Help Starting Up A Computer

Golde

Always Searching~
Yeah, hi...My computer isn't working, and hasn't for a while. But, the weird thing is, is I know what's wrong but can't figure out what to do....

So...I was told that the drives weren't getting read right, that the drives or processes or something weren't getting read right...That it was Drive A then Drive B, up to Eish, but apparantly they're going in the wrong order...and my computer freezes every time I load it up, unless I'm really lucky and careful with it...so, if anyone knows, even if you need more info...also, it says some floppy diskettes weren't found, so I'm not sure what that's about....

Thanks if you can help...

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
So, doesn't load Windows at all? Or not properly? If it's the first, you need to go into your BIOS settings and change the boot device order by pressing F1 or DEL (usually) when you first turn your comp on.

Golde

Always Searching~
What happens is, is when I start up the computer, it has the Dell Logo, and the loading bar underneath. This bar doesn't...fill completely up, it just ends like half an inch from the end. Then it says floppy diskette seek failure. Then, once I actually do start it up...it kinda freezes sometimes. And that's what I was told....the things not loading in order that is.

I'm going to bed, so I'll try that tommorrow. Thanks a lot, I'll say if it works or not...

Golde

Always Searching~
Allright, I did that, and it seemed to be working fine. Then, to test it, I restarted it. It looked OK at first, then froze up again. Then I restarted it again, and the mouse didn't even come up. However, it has done that before....

So...another question...

After it loads (which, yes, thanks, it does now), it says a whole bunch of essentially useless stuff, like copyright info. However, it does say, "Drive 1 Not Found-Serial ATA, SATA-2". Anyone know how to fix this, or does it really affect my computer?

Golde

Always Searching~
Well, it is a desktop, and, cause I'm a computer n00b, if the hard drive is broke, how much will that affect my computer? And I have no idea what you meant by then whole, "See if it picks it up" thing...and what cables?

Sorry...

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Broken hard drive = no Windows

If you are a real computer noob, then at this point I wouldn't recommend opening up your PC and looking inside; take it to a shop, but if your computer is as old as I am getting the impression it is I have a feeling they will say it will cost less to get a new comp than get the one you have working properly.

Golde

Always Searching~
Well, I don't think its that old, like, 5 or so years. And, chuboy, if Broken hard drive does infact = no Windows, then it's not that because I can still go on the internet. The only two things wrong with it are those 2 drives mentioned earlier and the fact that it freezes when you start it up sometimes.

So, Latios, it's probably not under warranty, and we're about 1,000 miles from where we got it, and that was from someone else.

And, I'd really prefer to not buy another one, because I'm jobless, and I have other priorities when I do get a job, like, a car and stable income for college. So, if it is at all possible, I'd like to fix this one.

BTW, how exactly does a hard drive crash?

Golde

Always Searching~
Uh...wow...my mom would be frickin mad if I did that, tbh. I'll probably try that sometime here....So, there's no other way to see? Because computers aren't really my forte, I don't understand a lot of it...If I do...I'll probably have to ask a lot...

Do you have any idea how much it would be if I just brung it into a random computer hardware place and asked them to fix it? Because I know it was only $150 to replace the fan on my secondhand laptop...but that was just the fan.

um, on a completely unrelated note, is there a way to manage internet memory? I got a pop-up a few weeks ago that said I have low internet memory.

Golde

Always Searching~
1) I am really paranoid, so, I may not do that...thanks for the help and taking the time to explain it though.

2) Over $50 doesn't sound like that much...but I'll definetly take your advice and remember that...but I'll probably try to find someone who won't, as you so eloquently said, "Rape my wallet." Can't you just specifically ask for them to do one thing?

3) I thought something like that, I'd never heard of internet memory. But it wasn't a pop up, it was one of those little things on my desktop...down where the volume and Local Area Connection are...so I was a little confused, too...*disregards*

Well, thanks a lot, Latios, for the advice and stuff...

Golde

Always Searching~
Oh...wow then. Geek Squad sucks then. Unfortunately, I still think I'd rather get it repaired professionally. But, thanks a lot, you did help me quite a bit.