• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Need Help With a Title

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271

Not Giving a Crap
Ok, I'm new to the Fan Fiction section, and I'm not sure where I should post this, so I'm posting it here. If I'm wrong, can a mod please move this?

Anyway, I'm thinking about doing a chapter fic on Silver's journey around Johto, and I can't think of a good title. Got any ideas?

Diddy

Renegade
This one is awesome "It's your own fiction and it's not up to us to decided what happens in it or what it's called"

Don't you agree?

I'll help you think of one though. What I try to do is make slightly jokey, pun titles. Play on words and stuff. Think of anything you can do with silver, anything related to silver, even use Silver to mean the precious metal.

Or you can think of the point of the journey. Why exactly is Silver journeying? What does he want to achieve? Those answers can sometimes give good title ideas.

If you don't know those answers yet then write the fic untitled until you think of something that suits it.

You don't want to have a stupid cliché title like Silver's Johto Journey, trust me.

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271

Not Giving a Crap
Thanks for the advice. I'll take it into consideration.

I'm still up to hearing some titles, if other have them.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
I usually figure up the main themes of the story and use that for the title. Mrs. Lovett (think I got that username right) had a one-shot around here called Cheater, which tied into one of the themes.

You can also use an important detail to make that detail really stand out. I did that with Bamboo and Cherry Trees. Both of those items are representations of the character development, but might not be noticed as much if they weren't in the title.

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271

Not Giving a Crap
Thanks Ysavvryl, although I'm not really sure want want details I can do with a fanfic like this.

*notices Ysavvryl has an evil number of posts*

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I've done this a couple of times where I've used a song title for the title of the story (as long as it fit the whole concept, of course). It's actually helped quite a bit, since there would be times I would forget what it was I wanted to put in this chapter, or for this other chapter in the future. If there's a song title that fits Silver in a way it's going to follow him through his journey, go for it.

Mine, titled Finding the Golden Rule, ended up coming to being after watching the Veggietales version of Sherlock Holmes involving the importance of friendship (lol, but the title didn't come from the video itself). When I found out the Golden Rule meant friendship, I knew it had to be the story title. Which is strange, because its a pair of twin sisters who hate each other, but are forced to be together throughout this whole journey, and thus have to get along. Throughout the story, it's apparent the two bicker and just scream at each other constantly, but deep down inside, they do care for one another, but are denying it. There's a point in the story where one of the sisters almost died because of her twin's anger.

This also, I'm realizing now, refers to a Pokémon character who has a dislike for humans, but is forced as well to stay with this group of sisters in order to find his parents. He has a twin himself, and tends to lash out his anger on her when she's really done nothing wrong. So in a way, he's fixing the bond with his sister, his only family he has left, and regaining the trust for humans, and learn that not everyone will hurt him.

At the moment, the meaning of the story hasn't unfolded yet, but it's getting there. When it comes to titles, when you give a hint as to what's in the story, do you think you should take your time on bringing that into play, or does it show up fairly quick? It depends on your story.

I hope I haven't gotten too off-topic, but I think what I've written out helps.

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271

Not Giving a Crap
Yes, it seem like more of a promo than advice, but thanks kutie pie.

In other news, I have post my fanfic and used Silver: 2nd Best as a working title.

hailflameblast

I'm coming...
Suggestion: A sliver of Silver. Ok, that didn't have anything to do with Journeys, but it was just a suggestion all the same.

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271

Not Giving a Crap
Suggestion: A sliver of Silver. Ok, that didn't have anything to do with Journeys, but it was just a suggestion all the same.
I'll take any suggestions in consideration, so thanks, but as you said I don't think it has anything to do with the story.

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
Uh... I haven't read your fic, but maybe. The Greatest Challenge: Finding Myself. that is if it is a first person fic.

Desert_Rain

delusional existence
How about "Every Journey Has a Silver Lining"

Taken from the idiom "every cloud has a silver lining, obv.
Basically, "every cloud has a silver lining" means that the sun shining at the edges of every cloud reminds us that every difficult situation has a bright side.

I thought it'd be a good title for a journey fic, since it's about overcoming struggles and becoming stronger, but i dunno. :p

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271

Not Giving a Crap
How about "Every Journey Has a Silver Lining"

Taken from the idiom "every cloud has a silver lining, obv.
Basically, "every cloud has a silver lining" means that the sun shining at the edges of every cloud reminds us that every difficult situation has a bright side.

I thought it'd be a good title for a journey fic, since it's about overcoming struggles and becoming stronger, but i dunno. :p

It is a good title, but I'm not sure it fits with where I plan to take my fic.

To All: Thanks for your suggestions, but I still haven't seen anything that would really work for my fic. I understand it id hard to give good suggestion when you are basically in the dark, so I thank everyone for their ideas.

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
I can't help you.

We don't know what sort of journey it is. Are you going to write an angst-fueled, nitty-gritty gore show like everyone seems to be fond of doing right now? Are you going to have him prance around the region with a Chikorita and hug everyone he meets? We need more information. But please, for the love of Mew, don't call it "Silver's Johto Journey" or something silly like that. So maybe explain where you aim to take the story more and we can aid you then.