• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Need help with Crystal team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
Playing Crystal right now (haven't played this game in ages), It's so much different than HG/SS and I was expecting to have my team planned but the game forced me to change my mind. Anyways, I officially have all 8 badges, still in Johto since I have a lot of training to do and I need a hand with my team.

So far I have the Pokemon team as listed below () planned move

Typhlosion lvl 40 (@Charcoal)

Quick Attack
Flame Wheel
Thunderpunch
Ember

Eevee lvl 34 *currently trying to get Umbreon. Umbreon will be holding Blackglasses*

Tackle
Shadow Ball
Quick Attack
Bite

Pidgeot lvl 36

Wing Attack
Fly
Gust
Quick Attack

Poliwhirl lvl 37 (@Mystic Water)

Surf
Hypnosis
Body Slam
Ice Punch

Dratini lvl 24 (@Dragons Fang)

Waterfall
Thunder Wave
Dragonbreath
Extremespeed

Donphan lvl 36 (@Soft Sand)

Mud-Slap
Strength
Flail
Rollout

I think the team is solid and I haven't ran into any real issues with it but they're lacking moves.

I gave Typhlosion Thunderpunch for the lack of electric moves or Pokemon on my team and it was always a must for Typhlosion in Crystal in my book. Poliwhirl has Ice Punch because if I'm correct ice moves are physical and Poliwhirl/Poliwrath have a higher physical than special. I can't trade so getting a Politoed isn't possible, but I also don't have a Water Stone yet to get Politoed only 2 Fire Stones, a Sun Stone, and a Leaf Stone (still waiting for the character to call me for the Water Stone) I was planning to use Lapras but now it's too late and it isn't Friday anyways. I plan on teaching Typhlosion Flamethrower and Donphan Earthquake when they reach the designated level.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

arceus03

Poliwhirl has Ice Punch because if I'm correct ice moves are physical and Poliwhirl/Poliwrath have a higher physical than special.

Nein. Ice Punch is special in this gen. The physical-special split for individual moves only happen in the 4th Gen upwards; before it was based on type. Ice falls under the special category. Still, Poliwrath has usable Special Attack, so it's fine. You might want to consider a fighting move as well since he gets STAB for that.

Give Pidgeot Steel Wing for... some variety, I guess. And to hit Ice types. You totally want Return > Gust / Quick Attack as well.

You can have Dragonite cover the rest of types your team lack. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt would be stronger than their respective punches, for example.

Umbreon doesn't need both Shadow Ball and Bite; coverage-wise, they hit about the same type for SE damage. Bite gets STAB, Shadow Ball has higher base power (and a chance to lower Special Defense, which is stupid... since Shadow Ball runs off the Attack stat). Umbreon has about the same stat for Attack and Special Attack, so it doesn't really matter which. IMO, Screech and Moonlight would make nice filler moves. Or Psychic, if you want.

Though, yeah... In-game, you could pretty much go with anything and still beat the game, given you train enough.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
Thanks for the reply! It's my mistake, I was thinking Ice moves was Physical and Ghost was special up until about 2-3 days ago. I've still yet gotten the Water Stone in this game (also been playing LG and Emerald on my phone more) but I think I'm just gonna take the train back to Johto catch Lickitung and Staryu so I can get the Water Stone. Do you happen to remember the order the evolution stones come in? I know in Crystal it's Lickitung first for Everstone, Staryu for Water Stone, Vulpix/Growlithe (can't remember) for Fire Stone, Oddish is Leaf Stone, and Pichu for Thunderstone, just don't remember the order.
Poliwraths stat's are a major boost, and I was thinking about teaching it Dynamic Punch and Mind Reader since they're both level up moves for Poliwrath? Good decision or is there any other recommendation?

As for Umbreon, it actually ended up evolving into Espeon at level 35 or 36 so I do have Psybeam. If I remember correctly it evolved around 4 in the morning when I woke up, I was a little upset but I guess stat wise Espeon is the way to go. It can be used as my special sweeper for it's lightning speed and high Sp. Atk once it learns Psychic. So I guess it's not the worst that could happen in the game.

Do you know where I can get Steel Wing and Return? I was planning on teaching it Steel Wing, it may not be STAB but it can dish a lot of damage with Pidgeot's decent base attack. I completely forgot about Return, I'm glad you recommended it for Pidgeot because now it's gonna be it's most powerful STAB move since he does have max happiness; 100+ attack?

And for Dragonite, too bad Dragon Claw wasn't introduced until RSE so I'm just gonna go with Outrage, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam as you recommended and probably Fly for a decent STAB move. I think Dragonites Dragon/Flying so Fly with his massive attack should do quite a bit of damage. Too bad Dragon type is special in this gen.

Last edited:

arceus03

Growlithe for Fire Stone. And no, I don't know the order. Bulbapedia listed them as Everstone - Fire Stone - Thunderstone - Water Stone - Leaf Stone, so I would assume it to be in that order.

Yeah, except that Espeon only has Psychic and Zap Cannon as special moves :p And Zap Cannon has 50 accuracy. Then again, you could try Hidden Power and Morning Sun, maybe.

Looks good to me. I had a Poliwrath once with those two moves, plus Hydro Pump and Blizzard to really make use of Mind Reader. Earthquake is also another option, if you didn't use that TM on Dragonite. And Return, if you want to go fully physical, but then you'd miss out on Water moves.

Steel Wing you can get from Rock Tunnel or Route 28 (requires Cut), that house near the Pokemon Center. Return you can get from a lady at the counter in the Goldenrod Department Store (the floor that sells the TMs); she comes every Sunday and you can get it once every week I believe if you show her a lead Pokemon with high happiness.

Yup, I believe the max base power for Return is 102. Given your Pidgeot is happy, it should easily reach 151 base power with STAB.

Also... Seeing Donphan has Rollout, you could consider Defense Curl as another move for him. It doubles Rollout's base power.

Status
Not open for further replies.