• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Need help with traing a jolteon

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I'm trying to train a great Jolteon but i can't find any good electric moves for it. So far i've heard TR08 Thunderbolt is in the Isle dlc but i don't to buy dlc. Any suggestion for it?

so far

Jolteon lvl 44... Mild Nature

HP 120 MOVES
ATK 70 Discharge
DEF 57 Pin Missile
SPD 125 Swift
SPC DEF 93 Thunder Fang
SPC ATK 115

Ghost94

@Pokefan_1987 Thunderbolt (TR08) is a drop reward from Max Raid battles and does not require the Isle of Armor DLC. You can find a list of raid dens here: Max Raids with TR08 Drop

Another move I’d recommend for a Jolteon is Shadow Ball and typically you’d want Timid nature on a Jolteon. Also be careful what moves you give your Pokémon because Pin Missile and Thunder Fang are both physically-based moves whereas Jolteon is a specially-based Pokémon.

Golden_Arcanine

You're going to want to mint it's nature to Timid. Mild makes it's defense weaker, and it needs all the defense it can get. I'd probably put Shadow Ball on it as well like Ghost mentioned. I'd probably give it Volt Switch to allow it to pivot out if needed. The fourth slot has a lot of options. Toxic, Hyper Voice, etc. are all options.

Pokefan_1987

Still what are the chances of breeding a eevee with ditto and getting a preferred nature. is it random or passed down?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Still what are the chances of breeding a eevee with ditto and getting a preferred nature. is it random or passed down?

With just Eevee and Ditto and no modifications, it's 1 in 25, as it's all random and there are 25 Natures in all. If one is holding an Everstone, all of the offspring will be of the Nature of the Pokémon holding the Everstone.

Pokefan_1987

that sounds like a huge pain testing eevee's and giving leftovers in surprises. my eevee families are

vaporeon quirky
flareon naughty
umbreon hasty
espeon docile
glaceon impish
leafeon relaxed
sylveon sassy

Golden_Arcanine

What does Leftovers have anything to do with it?

I think they were referring to surprise trading the rest of them away.

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Jolteon, Modest, Thunder/Shadow Ball/Weather Ball/Volt Switch is what I run with Drizzle Politoed. Timid is another option if you need Jolteon to be super fast. I like the raw power coming with Modest/Life Orb. Then again, I don't use Jolteon in serious matches.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm going to be brutally honest.

After looking at the natures you have posted for your Eeveelutions. Well, you're a long way off from grasping the basics of these specific pokémon - and I honestly doubt you'll get the best out of Jolteon (let alone the less straightforward Eeveelutions like Umbreon).

If you care about having the right nature: Get a Modest Mint. Jolteon is already fast so Timid is not necessary.
If you don't want to get a Mint and would rather breed: Jolteon is in the Field Egg-group, which is enormous. Just get a female Eeveelution and search your boxes for a Modest Pokémon. Chances are you'll find one that's in the Field Egg Group.
If you don't care about Natures at all, Mild is fine. At least it gives your Jolteon an offensive boost. The Defense drop from Mild is not that bad, as it's likely to die to most hits anyway since it's a paper towl defensively to begin with. Especially considering that the Ground-type is mostly physical. But Modest would be better since you shouldn't be using it's Attack-stat to begin with.
Additional tip: Catch a BUNCH of Indeedee or start breeding them if they've got Synchronize as their ability. It's a small investment, but leading off with either an Adamant or Modest Indeedee when you're looking for either a physical or special-based Pokémon gets you a long way. Yes, defensive pokémon might be better suited with a defensive nature, but each Pokémon will run at least one attacking move and you'll end up not using the other stat. Unless you've got a mixed set in which case stuff like Naughty, Lonely, Mild and Rash might become helpful, but that's another bridge to cross when we get there.

MOVES:
- Thunderbolt: Ghost94 has given the Denlist.
- Shadowball: Straight of the bat telling you that coverage is important and unfortunately, Jolteon doesn't get a lot.
- Hyper Voice: This is basically the last move with a decent power output that it gets in normal play. Unfortunately, it's a Normal-type move and often times your better off using one of the other two moves.
- Volt Switch: You do some chip damage, you send out something that can wall their next attack and they need to restrategize. Like if they're using a Choice Item, and you Volt Switch into something that's immune - they'll need to switch and you've gained momentum.

These are the moves that most people will tend to use or advise to use when thinking of Jolteon. But if you honestly don't see yourself commiting to online battling, then Hyper Voice and Volt Switch will rarely see usage.

Which leads me to this next section: Moves you personally could arguably be better off with for the 3rd and 4th slots.
- Yawn: If you're going to die and don't have that KO in range, use Yawn. It will either end up putting the opponent to sleep or if used online, it will cause a switch, which at least will cause some momentum change.
--- How to get Yawn on your Jolteon:
-------1. Catch a Male Wooper/Quagsire, it learns Yawn at level 21/23 based on the stage it's in (Wooper evolves in lvl20) so you're best off holding off the evolution for that 1 level.
-------2. Breed it with a female Eevee/lution. You'll now have an Eevee with Yawn.
-------3. Evolve that Eevee into Jolteon.
-------4. REMOVE a move from your Mild natured Jolteon at a Pokécenter.
-------5. Put the two Jolteon in the Nursery together and after a short while, you'll have both Jolteon knowing Yawn.
- Thunder Wave: It's easy to forget, but a paralysis can give you the win sometimes and could help a slower teammate get a win.
- Attract: Yup, that's how barren the moveset actually is.

If you do try out online battles:
- Weather Ball: ONLY ON DOUBLE TEAMS WHEN YOU ARE USING A WEATHERSETTER. Weatherball can offer additional 100bp Water, Fire, Ice or Rock-type coverage. Huge, since Jolteon's moveset is barren otherwise. But worthless in singles since Jolteon can't set weather itself and wasting a turn of weather to switch to Jolteon, well, chances are you're just wasting the turn of weather being up in the first place (which is why Hyper Voice is listed in the above set over WeatherBall). Also, IF you're using a RAIN-setter, you should change Thunderbolt to Thunder, since it loses the accuracy drawback in rain.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Modest Jolteon sacrifices the only real reason to consider using Jolteon in the first place; its great Speed tier. Jolteon will never really have adequate damage output, but Timid at least lets it threaten weakened offensive Pokemon like Cinderace, Weavile, and Alakazam who outpace Modest Jolteon.

That being said, Jolteon's SwSh movepool is borderline unsalvageable. Weather Ball on a Rain team seems like a neat gimmick but is overly reliant on Rain to touch Ground types and is still walled by bulky Grasses, Seismitoad, Gastrodon, Hippowdon, etc. Seismitoad and Gastrodon in particular see very high usage in most official formats due to the prevalence of Dracovish.