• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Needing help on names

Absol6028

What did you say...?
I honestly have never been good with naming characters in my FanFics. I remember having a fic where I named a Lopunny 'Fuzzy'. How original ikr. Anyways, I'm looking for help in naming a couple characters. Some main and some minor. Allow me to describe their personalities so that may help.

Main Character: Very laid back and lazy. Not a big fighter but will when needed. Can be very sarcastic at times but when it comes down to 'business', he will get VERY serious. Generally a funny person who can be known to take it too far.

Main characters 1st Pokemon: A Glaceon. Like her trainer, very laid back and lazy. Has a tendensy to pull pranks on anyone and everyone given the oppurtunity. Not sure how else I can describe her.

Soon-To-Be-Added Main Character: Sneasle. Very, Very shy. Whenever she has gotten used to you, she will be very sociable. Can be stubborn at times and also is very easily scared. Can jump to conclusions on how people act, look, are, etc but is very forgivable given the chance. She is quite a good Pokemon when you get to know her.

That's all for now. If any other detail is needed for a character, please let me know. Also, as for thanks for helping me with this, I'll be sure to give credits in my story. Thank you in advance!

I'll make you some names:

MC: Joe Schmoe (A lazy-sounding name)

Glaceon: Glacey (Very simple) or Eve (from Eevee, which Glaceons evolve from, once again, just a simple name change)

Sneasel: Slice-N-Dice (A good name for any Sneasel (or Weavile), since they are so good in battle)

Good luck on your fic.

Absol6028

What did you say...?
I like the first 2. Thank you :) Could you at all possibly come up with a different one for the Sneasle? Something short if possible :\

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Hm, rather than giving you names myself, a suggestion I might have for naming would be to have their names mean something from another language. I only know German besides English, and I don't think you'd like the sound of German names for your Pokemon, but it's something to think about. Choose a quality from their personality or, if they're a Pokemon, typing, and see what it means in another language. I just like to give meaning to my Pokemons' names, so if you're interested I'd say it's worth a try.

If you don't like that idea, you could have their names allude to someone famous who had a personality like theirs, though I can't think of any examples and I'm not too fond of this method myself...

If that doesn't go down with you, then I guess a name for your Sneasel could be Rue, since Rue is similar to Ruhe, which (if I remember correctly) is German for 'quiet.'

Absol6028

What did you say...?
That's the type of thing I was going for. Names with a meaning. Not really with the Trainer but the Pokemon. Possibly got one for the Glaceon? I'm still considering some names

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Sorry, but I can't find any synonyms for anything to do with your Glaceon's personality, unless you count 'happy', which is 'froh' (pronounced with a long o, I'm fairly certain), so you could twist that any way you like. You could do something type-related, like cold (kalt), and I know that ice cream is Eis (pronounced 'ice'), if you want to go down that road :)

Breezy

I personally try to work with the characters first before naming them. Sometimes the characters will "speak" to you and provide names for themselves.

Example: I have a mudkip/marshtomp/swampert character in one of my stories. He's generally goofy, a bit of a dunce, sarcastic and protective/fatherly. For a while, he was just known as "Mudkip" (played off as the trainer not knowing what to name him as well). It was only when I was a few chapters in that this Mudkip character told me "My name is Muddy." Creative? Not at all. Fitting for him? I think so. As it turns out, Muddy later told me that his actual name is Bemired but goes by Muddy as a nickname. (His full name is Bemired Muddy Swampert. In comparision, Muddy has a "twin" brother that oddly goes by the name of Shawn. Inorite? But Shawn fit that particular character when I worked with him.)

I guess my point is that it's hard to really "feel" a name for a character if you don't try working with them first. I'm not saying go the route I did (start the story anyway with no name for it and introduce the name later), but try writing small scenes with these characters or imagine different scenarios with these characters in your head. You, as the author, need to feel comfortable with the name as well. And don't stress if your characters' names aren't on the most "creative" side either.

Absol6028

What did you say...?
I personally try to work with the characters first before naming them. Sometimes the characters will "speak" to you and provide names for themselves.

Example: I have a mudkip/marshtomp/swampert character in one of my stories. He's generally goofy, a bit of a dunce, sarcastic and protective/fatherly. For a while, he was just known as "Mudkip" (played off as the trainer not knowing what to name him as well). It was only when I was a few chapters in that this Mudkip character told me "My name is Muddy." Creative? Not at all. Fitting for him? I think so. As it turns out, Muddy later told me that his actual name is Bemired but goes by Muddy as a nickname. (His full name is Bemired Muddy Swampert. In comparision, Muddy has a "twin" brother that oddly goes by the name of Shawn. Inorite? But Shawn fit that particular character when I worked with him.)

I guess my point is that it's hard to really "feel" a name for a character if you don't try working with them first. I'm not saying go the route I did (start the story anyway with no name for it and introduce the name later), but try writing small scenes with these characters or imagine different scenarios with these characters in your head. You, as the author, need to feel comfortable with the name as well. And don't stress if your characters' names aren't on the most "creative" side either.
I did that in a story with an Absol, Ninetales, Glaceon, Lopunny, Pachirisu, Riolou, and a Charmeleon. Here's what I came up with.
Absol - Uhh.... Ok so I don't remember this one >.>
Ninetales - Err... I don't remember this one either..
Glaceon - Crystal. That's so common and I'm trying, hint word: Trying, to go for something atleast a little different. >.>
Lopunny - Fuzzy. I wonder why? >.> Lol
Pachirisu - Flash Again, I wonder why >.>
Riolou - Ok so I'm bad with remembering as you can tell >.> I forget this one also
Charmeleon - I think this one was Blaze. See how creative I am? :p
So yeah, not only am I bad with names, I'm bad with remembering >.>

Sorry, but I can't find any synonyms for anything to do with your Glaceon's personality, unless you count 'happy', which is 'froh' (pronounced with a long o, I'm fairly certain), so you could twist that any way you like. You could do something type-related, like cold (kalt), and I know that ice cream is Eis (pronounced 'ice'), if you want to go down that road :)

I'm thinking of going with Kalt. That's a pretty cool name (If I'm pronouncing it right that is >.>) Thx for the help :3

Corrosion

Hello Kitty =/= Cat
The Sneasle's name could be "Obscura", meaning "dark", or "unclear". You might as well use a random name generator, but a dictionary might might be a good place to start looking.

Phoopes

There it is.
Well... Here's my suggestion for Glaceon...

For Glaceon: You could go with "Iglecia" or something like that. (ig-LAY-see-a) I think it sounds like a beautiful name for a relaxed kind of Pokemon.

Dilasc

Boip!
I usually DONT name. In fact, if Pokemon have names, the humans do not know them but the Pokemon may chat amongst themselves with them.

I often avoid nicknames because it makes my main characters stand out too much as 'way too important.' This gets apparent if every trainer fought has no nicknames it just seems... elitist to me, almost a Mary Sue trait.

On the flip, if EVERYONE is nicknaming, then it gets confusing to remember what creature is what.

needsalimegreenespeon

Shine, Eevee, shine!
Freaky weirdo coming through... I don't have a name, and I have stories that aren't fanfics.
But I do use babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com for names. There is a meaning search function. Maybe you could type in a trait and see if a name you like comes up?