• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Neon Genesis Evangelion Discussion Thread

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
This is a thread about the animé, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and it's movie counterparts, including the End of Evangelion and the Rebuild of Evangelion. Have fun chatting!

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
I don't really like Shikinami, having previously grown up knowing that Asuka's surname is Soryuu.

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
It was said Asuka's surname was changed for a plot of sorts.

Shikinami, Ayanami, Makinami...

Dunno, but it's still Asuka. Just love her. :D

De Giratina

EVA-01 Pilot
Do you guys prefer the Rebuild Movies or the Original series?
They're both good but I just prefer the original.

I'm actually a really a big fan of Evangelion. I'll be the first to admit that it has some very ubiquitous flaws, though. The constant symbolism is almost offensively pointless, and bordering on flat-out pretentious. I'll also say that it is quite boring early on, and only really comes into its own at about the halfway mark, and it is obviously a bit of an ask to have to sit through half a series of relatively mediocre set-up in order to get to the good stuff. But in spite of these things, I really do like it. The story of these almost comically dysfunctional characters is an affecting one, as well as quite scathing and cutting in places.

The characters are extremely well potrayed, Asuka's slow slide into insanity in particular is a joy to watch. And as for the much-derided hero Shinji? I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. Yes, he whines and angsts, but I don't think that's exactly a terrible thing given as one of the main points of the series is that these people are child soldiers. It wouldn't exactly work in that sense if Shinji acted like a typical shonen protagonist, rather than like a human child. And all the people who still see him as a pathetic excuse for a hero should keep in mind that the Eva pilots feel everything that their Evas do, and see how long they can hold onto red-hot metal. I'm sorry, but that was pretty awesome.

Overall, I just really like the series, and of course, End is an amazing movie. I actually haven't bothered to watch any of Rebuild yet, though. I'll get round to it, I guess.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
inb4 2deep4u

Evangelion was okay, I didn't find it to be the godly masterpiece that most of it's fans do.

I think it is, simply because it made me into the pretentious, godly person I am today. Also, I'm more of an OS person, because Asuka Strikes and the episode afterwards are my favorite NGE episodes and they didn't get a single reference in the Rebuild. However, I really love Rebuild's music, and the ending of 2.0 was way better than anything I could've imagined, so....eh, it's all good.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
When stacked up against Gundams, standard EVA's are lame.
The plot is a mess
The ending has nudity but makes little to no sense
Too much talking and not enough fighting

BUT, Asuka is great so who cares about the rest?

madmarine0

Nymph ニンフ <3
im gonna watch this anime soon. dont spoil D:

*comes back after I finish*

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
The plot is a mess

ITP: Someone who thinks Evangelion is trollable.

Just like the abyss, the more you troll Eva, the more it trolls you.

Eloi

Speaking of trolling:

Does anyone else think the Rebuild movies are after End of Evangelion? Or is Anno just screwing with us (again)?

De Giratina

EVA-01 Pilot
Speaking of trolling:

Does anyone else think the Rebuild movies are after End of Evangelion? Or is Anno just screwing with us (again)?

I'm pretty sure Kaworu said something at the end of Rebuild 2.22 that implied this, can't remember the exact wording though. It was something like ''I hope it ends better this time''.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
LOL, it does sound like a troll when you put it that way.
But I do like Neon Genesis Evangelion, I was just getting its weak points out of the way before discussing other parts of the series.

I think that Asuka really is THAT good of a character and that she was cheated out of the spotlight in the original final episode. (no specifics)

Last edited:

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Really, Pikachu? I think Eva Unit 01 is way more iconic than the Gundams, to me at least.
That, and I had a bad history with Gundams ever since starting with Gundam SEED in 2004, and finding it to be a political bore and feeling the same for Destiny and Wing.

Eloi

I'm pretty sure Kaworu said something at the end of Rebuild 2.22 that implied this, can't remember the exact wording though. It was something like ''I hope it ends better this time''.

Not to mention Rebuild having EoE's LCL ocean, blood-striped moon, et. al.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
The plot is a mess

LOL oh wow.

I'm thinking that it's a Groundhog Day style loop, and only Kaworu has any previous memory of the cycles.

Then at the end of the Rebuild movies everything gets fixed because Shinji remembers that he still needs to do his summer homework. Everyone leaves the theaters pissed off.

Really, Pikachu? I think Eva Unit 01 is way more iconic than the Gundams, to me at least.

Show any non-anime watcher EVA 01 and they'll think it's probably a Gundam.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I'm thinking that it's a Groundhog Day style loop, and only Kaworu has any previous memory of the cycles.
That sounds neat, I have not seen any of the newer movies yet.

I am not really a big fan of the design idea to require batteries and extension cords in the giant robots. Altough if you look at the energy limit like a stepping stone for development, it is a bit more forgivable. The EVA's are pretty decent otherwise.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Would a non-anime watcher even know what a Gundam is? I'm thinking Transformers would be a better term for it.

Before I started watching anime one of the few things I know was "Japan has this giant fighting robot series called Gundam" It's pretty common knowledge.

And before I knew what Evangelion was I got the two confused so I thought other would do the same.