• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Not for the weak minded

Sapphiredragon929

A r t i f i c e.
Okay I decided to make a thread specifically for Evangelion just for discussion since Rebuild and new OVA's were announced. And Neon Genesis Evangelion: Gakuen Datenroku is coming to America.

I personally enjoyed the series...as blatantly sickening, and negative as it was. My favorite character was at first Shinji but I disconnected from him after...I realized all he ever did was suck. XD; My favorite character is Asuka - despite the fact on how I hated the god-loving crap out of her at first.

So thoughts on the characters? Plot? The ending (oh god the ending)? Or the horrifically unfitting background music?

Just discuss them all here. XD;

Last edited:

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Okay I decided to make a thread specifically for Evangelion just for discussion since Rebuild and new OVA's were announced.
OVAs???

I personally enjoyed the series...as blatantly awful
wait what

My favorite character was at first Shinji but I disconnected from him after...I realized all he ever did was suck. XD;
Would you put a clinically-depressed/mentally ill teenager in charge of saving the world?

Or the horrifically unfitting background music?
wait how

Just discuss them all here. XD;
It's a cool series.

Sapphiredragon929

A r t i f i c e.

Yeah. I heard they're making Evangelion into 12 OVA's or something along those lines.

wait what
I should have rephrased it better: As much as it was like, no happy endings or anything, it is still a great series.

Would you put a clinically-depressed/mentally ill teenager in charge of saving the world?
pfft never.

Ever notice the somewhat light happy music playing in the background? Hell, as Asuka is getting mind raped they're playing Hallelujah. XD;

Sapphiredragon929

A r t i f i c e.
NGE would have been better if Norio Wakamoto was the one who sang the opening theme.

My favorite character was Gendou because he was an awesome bast@rd. Gotta put NGE on my rewatch list sometime.

I kinda laughed....a lot.

Despite the fact that Gendou is widely hated - I don't exactly hate him. You have to respect his brilliance and at least he's a believable antagonist (coughAizencough). He's definitely what makes the series all the more enticing.

hobby

Ever notice the somewhat light happy music playing in the background? Hell, as Asuka is getting mind raped they're playing Hallelujah.
Well, it is by an angel, so it kind of does fit. But seriously, I never saw a problem with the bgm, but that may just be me.

These OVAs intrigue me, do you have a link or something where we can read a little more about them?

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
You reminded me of one of my favorite re-imaginations for the opening. Though for a different series!
The happy music as you put it while bad things happen to asuka are sort of there for a reason mostly to be as a contrast to what is happening to her. And yeah I'm watching the Rebuilds which had a similar "nonfitting" song playing while Asuka was ripped to shreds by Eva-01. I thought it fit perfectly though.

Last edited:

ForeverFlame

This thing confuses me. There are so many remakes and movies that my mind is just a blur. It's like starting Higurashi or .hack at first. I have no idea what to watch first.

If there's a half-decent remake, I'd prefer just to watch that instead of the old version. I'm very prejudiced against old Anime. Especially if it's low-quality. Oh God.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
This thing confuses me. There are so many remakes and movies that my mind is just a blur. It's like starting Higurashi or .hack at first. I have no idea what to watch first.

If there's a half-decent remake, I'd prefer just to watch that instead of the old version. I'm very prejudiced against old Anime. Especially if it's low-quality. Oh God.
Evangelion animation from the past isn't that old. Just watch the original anyways the remake still has a long while till it's done completely. Luckily the last two movies will b released back to back but there no real release date for the two yet. I have a feeling if you watch the original you'll appreciate the remake a bit more.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Yeah. I heard they're making Evangelion into 12 OVA's or something along those lines.
where

pfft never.
Exactly. Not that Shinji shouldn't try to get better, but he does alright considering all the **** he goes through.

Ever notice the somewhat light happy music playing in the background? Hell, as Asuka is getting mind raped they're playing Hallelujah. XD;
They're musical juxtaposition made in order to unnerve you. Ever seen a Kubrick film?

Original work: Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV) ---> Death & Rebirth (recap movie) ---> The End of Evangelion (film; provides a different perspective on the ending of the series)

Rebuild of Evangelion films are rough remakes of this original work.

Easy to keep track of.

Uh would you be prejudiced against watching Cowboy Bebop? If not, then you should have no problems here.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
>"Switch the language back to Japanese!"

I always found that scene hilarious in the dub. xD

It's even funnier in German for obvious reasons...

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
I saw the second remake movie not too long ago... I gotta wonder what the hell they're doing

[spoil]attempting to kill off Asuka just to replace her with this new Mari girl. Gainax just blatantly trying to add a new member to their long-running overly-hyped cast of female characters, from the looks of it (the numerous figures she gets is further convincing of this). Fortunately, the preview to the third movie suggests Asuka ultimately survives this incident, and somehow or other ending up just as she appears in End. For what it's worth, it was nice to see a berserk mode for Eva-02, along with Touji's sister (though her role is ironically reduced now that Asuka's become the new Touji), over a decade after the original series ended.[/spoil]