• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nerves Of Steelix! (226)

I'll be honest, I kind of miss gyms battles that Ash loses once and goes back for a rematch. Last time that happened was with Whitney. It get's kind of boring after a while seeing him (not necessarily so) easily beat the gym on the first try, at least to me.

JudySpell

Banned
Magnemite deserved a longer match and Steelix versus Cyndaquil seemed ridiculous due to size differences between the 2 Pokemon. 6.5/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Finally the long awaited Olivine gym battle with the real gym leader this time. Magnemite was kind of underwhelming to me however, but Jasmine's Steelix fixed that and I liked how Cyndaquil won. :D

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Obviously Ash was gonna win no matter what because he had spent too much time beating around the bush in Olivine: He needed the Mineral Badge ASAP.

Just to play devil's advocate, Ash didn't need to win to get the Mineral badge from Jasmine. He could've tied with her here or even lost and she still might've given Ash the badge out of pity like how some Kanto gym leaders did. For a moment while watching Steelix vs Cyndaquil, I kind of considered Ash losing. ^^;

ZilverLox

Banned
The Olivine Gym battle was a good match, the fight between Pikachu and Magnemite was a little rushed sure, but that was more than made up for when the showdown between Cyndaquil and Steelix took place. Ash was clever to make Cyndaquil use Flamethrower to move itself around the battlefield and also using the holes Steelix dug to get in behind it. What wasn't as good was TR's attack scene on the beach. Seemed redundant in retrospect.

Leonhart

Imagineer
It was great to finally see the Asagi City Gym match, which had been delayed enough ever since the Whirlpool Islands arc began. Satoshi versus Mikan was good: Hinoarashi versus Haganeil was one of Jouto's most memorable Gym battles for me, though I half expected Mikan's Coil to evolve against Pikachu.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Wow so Jasmine was tougher than she looked. Steelix almost defeated Cyndaquil and I think Cyndaquil should've evolved during this gym.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Wow so Jasmine was tougher than she looked. Steelix almost defeated Cyndaquil and I think Cyndaquil should've evolved during this gym.

Mikan's Haganeil was what carried the match since Coil lost quickly. As for Hinoarashi evolving, I suppose that this was a good spot for that to have happened, though it didn't occur sadly.

It was about time that Ash returned to Olivine City to get his long awaited Gym match with Jasmine. I didn't like the contrast between Jasmine's two Pokemon however. I think she should've had Magneton instead of Magnemite since Magnemite was really weak and it seemed like Steelix did all of the heavy lifting in this Gym battle. I liked how Cyndaquil's Fire attacks managed to be really useful in defeating Steelix.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
It was about time that Ash returned to Olivine City to get his long awaited Gym match with Jasmine. I didn't like the contrast between Jasmine's two Pokemon however. I think she should've had Magneton instead of Magnemite since Magnemite was really weak and it seemed like Steelix did all of the heavy lifting in this Gym battle. I liked how Cyndaquil's Fire attacks managed to be really useful in defeating Steelix.

Mikan using a Rarecoil against Satoshi here would've seemed more fitting from my perspective as well since that's a species that I could see as being more of a challenge for Satoshi given that this was the sixth Jouto Gym, and I think Satoshi needed to fight a hard battle throughout the whole match. But it's disappointing to think that even if Mikan had used a Rarecoil, it's not like it could've used any Steel-type attacks, regardless.

Great gym battle, and my favorite from Johto so far. Cyndaquil did amazing defeating Steelix and I like the strategy that Ash used of using Flamethrower on the wall or ground to dodge Iron Tail. Pikachu did well to, but I'm perplexed why Jasmine didn't use a ground type attack to OHKO Pikachu.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Magnemite’s blue electricity was pretty cool, but the battle against pikachu was mostly devoid of strategy and I find it hard to buy that it went down after a thunderbolt and a quick attack, two attacks it’s strong against. That being said, Steelix vs Cyndaquil was good in every aspect and that fire tornado at the end was a perfect way to close the match. Enjoyed the rewatch.