• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Net Neutrality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falthor

The Magma Incarnate
An important issue that should be raised, which discusses the idea of Net Neutrality, which basically is the government's way of saying, "We own the Internetz!"

Google Article said:
A Guide to Net Neutrality for Google Users

"Net neutrality" is an issue that will shape the future of the Internet. Google has created this guide to net neutrality, which includes a brief overview of the subject, an update on where things stand in the U.S. policy debate, a set of actions you can take to protect the Internet, and the text of an open letter from our CEO, Eric Schmidt.

What is Net Neutrality?

Network neutrality is the principle that Internet users should be in control of what content they view and what applications they use on the Internet. The Internet has operated according to this neutrality principle since its earliest days. Indeed, it is this neutrality that has allowed many companies, including Google, to launch, grow, and innovate. Fundamentally, net neutrality is about equal access to the Internet. In our view, the broadband carriers should not be permitted to use their market power to discriminate against competing applications or content. Just as telephone companies are not permitted to tell consumers who they can call or what they can say, broadband carriers should not be allowed to use their market power to control activity online. Today, the neutrality of the Internet is at stake as the broadband carriers want Congress's permission to determine what content gets to you first and fastest. Put simply, this would fundamentally alter the openness of the Internet.

What is the Current Status of Net Neutrality?

Net neutrality is a major issue as the U.S. considers new telecommunications laws. The U.S. House of Representatives passed its telecommunications bill, H.R. 5252, in May, without adequate net neutrality protections. Now the fight has moved to U.S. Senate. On June 28, the Senate Commerce Committee passed its own telecom bill, S. 2686. While an amendment to the bill that would have added meaningful net neutrality safeguards failed 11-11, this tie vote marks a significant political victory and gives the effort new momentum. The debate now shifts to the full Senate, where advocates will be working to get strong net neutrality language is any bill that the Senate considers.

Original link here

I think you guys should be aware of the current status. I don't know if this is a debatable topic or not; I'm playing it on the safe side and just informing you of what is happening here. Feel free to move the thread to the Debate Forum if necessary, mods.

Topaz Archer

TheWorldIsQuietHere
Wait.
I know this is probably wrong, but isn't the Internet the WORLD WIDE WEB?
And the government isn't the world.

I hate this. I do not want ANYONE to discover I go to SPPF.

Rave

Banned
Shit, Jay beat me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.