• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Netflix's Live Action Pokemon Adaptation in the works

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Burn it with fire if its going to be an adaptation of the anime.
Hoping for Detective Pikachu 2 or something similar.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I mentioned this in the General News thread, but I think it COULD work if they have a strong enough story, but it depends on the writing and the kind of director Joe Henderson is. If this make it a dark-but-not-too-dark series like Stranger Things, His Dark Materials, or Stephen Spielberg films, it would work a lot better

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic about this since Detective Pikachu was actually a great adaptation. I still think the best way to handle the first live action pokemon series is to make it a 2-3 season show based on Gen 1 (then make sequel shows based on each generation). The Gen 1 games already feel like a Spielberg movie if you look at them when the franchise first started, and there are shows to look at for reference like His Dark Materials or Stranger Things, though I also hope they use the Adventures manga too.

It also depends on how good of a director Joe Henderson is and the quality of work his previous productions were, though I haven't seen any of them

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
If (and big if) this is going to be a live action adaption of the anime, then I have mixed feelings. Like I'd be excited and just watch it to see what Ash and the other characters and Pokémon will look like in a live action movie (will probably be based on the original series). Some people like Ash, Misty, and Gary, Professor Oak and maaaybe Brock I can see as live action. Not too sure about Team Rocket lol.

Then again, I don't think I'd want to see a live action adaption because I'm so used to the characters in the anime with how they look and all that. Plus you know how it is with these live action adaptions. Either they're really good or just no.

Detective Pikachu 2 sounds more probable though.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
If (and big if) this is going to be a live action adaption of the anime, then I have mixed feelings. Like I'd be excited and just watch it to see what Ash and the other characters and Pokémon will look like in a live action movie (will probably be based on the original series). Some people like Ash, Misty, and Gary, Professor Oak and maaaybe Brock I can see as live action. Not too sure about Team Rocket lol.

Then again, I don't think I'd want to see a live action adaption because I'm so used to the characters in the anime with how they look and all that. Plus you know how it is with these live action adaptions. Either they're really good or just no.

Detective Pikachu 2 sounds more probable though.
I feel like a live adaptation of the anime is doomed to fail from the start. The only way I can see this series working is if it's either based on the mainline games, one of the side games like Colosseum or Mystery Dungeon, the Adventures manga, or it's its own thing

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I feel like a live adaptation of the anime is doomed to fail from the start. The only way I can see this series working is if it's either based on the mainline games, one of the side games like Colosseum or Mystery Dungeon, the Adventures manga, or it's its own thing

No, it can only work if it's own thing because live-action works differently from animation, and you play the format by its strength rather than forcing it to a certain format. Adventures can be dark but also light-hearted and cartoonishly funny. I can see it as anime but not a live-action show because by this point, the characters are as distinct and iconic as the anime characters (and not some generic player that you can easily take liberties with like Tim Goodman). Mystery Dungeon, that's all Pokémon so it might as well be an anime.

I just hope these folks watched the first episode of Pokémon. Especially in the original Japanese because it is so easy to make a darker and edgier show and completely miss what Pokémon is all about.

TwilightBlade

What does this ew man have to do with pokemon???? Dont touch it !!!! I dont want to see a slutty Misty:/
There's no guarantee that she'll be in this series because so far they haven't told us if it'll be a live action version of the main cartoon or not.

The idea of a live action Pokemon show isn't necessarily bad it's just that after seeing how Detective Pikachu turned out I'm not eager to see Netflix try their hand at something like that. And yes I'm saying that I didn't like Detective Pikachu no matter how many other fans might've. :[

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I'll reserve judgment until some actors are cast, filming starts, or we get a trailer. But what I will say is that I loved Detective Pikachu, so it would be great if this new series is cut from the same cloth as that, even if it isn't in the same continuity or anything.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Only an actual Pokemon fan should make this kind of series. What does this shameless actor have to do with Pokemon?
Pokemon is pure and love. Dont ruin it
They haven't announced any actors. Joe Henderson the writer and executive producer. While I've never watched Lucifer, the main thing he's known for, I have heard it's good. And what makes you think he's "shameless"?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm optimist they won't use the anime because OLM seems very protective of it and seems keen on keeping the aesthetics recognizable. Gee, we've never got Ash's oriignal anime clothes in the games. Closest being the SM cap and we can only emulate his SM look because he was using nearly the same outfit as the PC (except for the hat)
My only fear is this turning out to be a gritty and edgy mess that so many Live Action Adaptations end up becoming (Avatar, The Powerpuff Girls, Winx Club, etc)
Same here. I have no faith until proven otherwise

Jangobadass

Surprise!
I mean, how will they handle this?

Like, how good are the budgets for NF shows anyway? How many Pokemon can they even afford to have on screen at the same time? Will they use practical effects here and there? Because I'm not sure if they can afford a may-as-well-be-animated CGI fest...

Though one thing that could help is making the Pokemon less detailed this time. Real animals are smoother than in Detective Pikachu. Also, only let Pokemon appear if they have a role. DP had a bunch of Pokemon...but most of them had small, functionary roles, or didn't actually DO anything...

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
They haven't announced any actors. Joe Henderson the writer and executive producer. While I've never watched Lucifer, the main thing he's known for, I have heard it's good. And what makes you think he's "shameless"?
Have u watched Lucifer? Its very slutty

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't have high expectations for this, because I have a feeling that it'll be just as whitewashed as Detective Pikachu was. Not that it was a bad movie per se, but I felt that it was out of touch with what the franchise is primarily about. I hope that this series at least sticks closer to the core games, but I don't want it to mimic the main anime.