• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Netflix's Live Action Pokemon Adaptation in the works

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Actually, as long as it's live action, it IS tokusatsu. The word is literally to describe special effects.

I guess you mean "if it's not a live action show in the same vein of the likes of Godzilla or Ultraman" ;)
I was talking about something in the vein of Ultraman or Super Sentai, but it was just faster to use that word, since it's most commonly associated with that genre of shows and movies. And I think most people understand that this is what I was referring to.

This would be the type of show I could see working well as a live action Pokémon series.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
It's not that bad but they get basic things wrong like Electric moves working on ground.

What the h*** the whole premise is worse than Sonic's CGI FUR before he was changed for the movie.

Guns,insults, bearded ash, extremely scrawny pikachu all look like something that doesn't belong in pokemon.
For the record, Pokémon Apocalypse was created as a joke parodying live action adaptations being darker and edgier. There have been similar things done with Super Mario .

Seems like everything wants to be live action. I mean, I get it, I want to see what this stuff would look like in real life to but I still don't think shows like Pokemon need to be seen in live action. Superheroes, Scooby Doo if done right, and Kim Possible can be live action but things like Pokemon and Lion King don't work for this kind of stuff.
Live action brings in more money than animation, at least before merchandise is factored in.

There hasn't been a successful mainstream animated series in North America aimed at adults that isn't a comedy in some way. Morel Orel and Final Space are the closest there has been; Moral Orel was canceled BECAUSE it got too non-comedic, and Final Space keeps an oddly low profile in the modern zeitgeist.

Batman is a good case example of this. There have been many attempts since the 90s to put Batman in primetime, or at least in places with general adult audiences, both animated and live-action. Only the live-action series have succeeded. Now Time Warner, which owns DC (and thus Batman), puts their animated TV-14 or TV-MA Batman output straight to video or streaming or is shown on Toonami, while the live-action Batman stuff with similar content ratings are shown on broadast primetime or are featured shows on servces like Hulu and Amazon Prime.

I feel like nobody asked for this. If they wanted to expand the Pokemon franchise they could just make more movies instead of a series because I think that's where the real money is.

The only way I'll watch this series is if it's based on another spin off game like Snap or Conquest. :D
It's not aimed at the fans who would be here on Serebii; it's aimed at non-fans who know about Pokémon but may have not played since Generation 1, played only GO, or haven't played at all. It's the people who are interested in the franchise but don't want to be associated with its "babyishness" or that it's an old-fashioned turn-based JRPG series.

The Pokémon movies have fallen into the "continuity lockout" trap. They're aimed at pre-existing fans but at the cost of being unwatchable to anyone not already familiar with Pokémon. Outside of Japan, this is bad for revenue (which is why the Pokémon movies, outside of Japan, eventually migrated to direct-to-video, then direct-to-streaming, as theatrical screenings would render them unprofitable). And there have been enough Pokémon movies in this vein that film fans just shut them out immediately. They can't understand them, and as a consequence, they find them boring. Detective Pikachu got to be the exception to this because, as mentioned prior, it's from the perspective of someone who has lived most of his life without much Pokémon influence, so the movie eases him, and by extension, the viewer, into it.

It's these people, who tune out all Pokémon movies and the anime out of expecting to be locked out, that this is aimed at.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
For the record, Pokémon Apocalypse was created as a joke parodying live action adaptations being darker and edgier. There have been similar things done with Super Mario .
That still doesn't excuse it from being a complete disgrace and a disservice to the original show done by someone who probably never even watched, probably just read a few summaries based on the 4Kids version (which distorted the original).

It was a stupid parody that just validated the wet dreams of the anime haters who now start saying it should've been like this.

(I hate that thing and I greatly regret ever losing time of my life to watch that flaming pile of garbage)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pokemon Apocalypse was an interesting fan project and I can appreciate it if only because it wasn't official and nothing came of it, but I'd hate to see a live action series that's even remotely similar. I keep thinking that this new series will be similar to the American live action Death Note movie, which was horrendous.

MrJechgo

No, I haven't heard of it, and I wish I didn't o_O

Unless it's on the same level as Sonic the Hedgehog and Detective Pikachu, I fear the worse :S
  • Likeable characters; yes even the rival, because people can root for a jerk rival :p
  • Pokémon that LOOK like their games' counterparts, like Detective Pikachu
  • Battles that feels both grounded and over-the-top
  • A deep and immersive world, which shouldn't be that hard
  • Respect for the franchise
These are the key ingredients, and there's no need to check boxes in order to please every possible audience...

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
No, I haven't heard of it, and I wish I didn't o_O

Unless it's on the same level as Sonic the Hedgehog and Detective Pikachu, I fear the worse :S
  • Likeable characters; yes even the rival, because people can root for a jerk rival :p
  • Pokémon that LOOK like their games' counterparts, like Detective Pikachu
  • Battles that feels both grounded and over-the-top
  • A deep and immersive world, which shouldn't be that hard
  • Respect for the franchise
These are the key ingredients, and there's no need to check boxes in order to please every possible audience...
And sadly it won't because going by Netflix's track record they're going to shove in identity politics and SJW pandering.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
That still doesn't excuse it from being a complete disgrace and a disservice to the original show done by someone who probably never even watched, probably just read a few summaries based on the 4Kids version (which distorted the original).

It was a stupid parody that just validated the wet dreams of the anime haters who now start saying it should've been like this.

(I hate that thing and I greatly regret ever losing time of my life to watch that flaming pile of garbage)
That's the thing--that Pokémon Apocalypse video was made to not only parody darker-and-edgier adaptations, they're also poking fun at the people who want this sort of thing. It was made in such an over-the-top style that it wraps around to being absurd and illustrates how immature these people are for thinking this is a good idea and not recognizing it as a parody.

TwilightBlade

Pokémon Apocalypse was creative but I wouldn't want to see something as gritty as that in this live-action series which I do worry might be the case. Whenever Hollywood gets involved in producing live-action anime they always do too much. :[