• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Networking between myself and Vista: A strange fusion of technology and biology?

Eszett

one love
(This was adapted from a post I made on the Linksys forums, but might be copied verbatim. The more people that can help me, the better.)

Hello all,

I have a Linksys WRT54G router and two machines hardwired to my router. One runs Windows ME, the other Windows Vista.

Naturally, the Linksys Easy Link Advisor (hereafter called LELA) does not work on the ME machine, so I had to run it on my Vista machine. It worked fine and detected the ME machine, but it's also detecting some "other device" under the Computers option which I am not quite sure even exists (but still has an IP and MAC address nonetheless).

There exist a few problems, though: when I try to access My Entire Network on the ME machine, it claims that it cannot detect any other machines on the network, even though LELA on Vista shows the ME machine. Secondly, when I try to open the Network dialog in Vista Explorer, it stalls for at least thirty seconds without doing anything, then finally displays a blank screen.

The network dialog next to my clock in my Vista taskbar is also similarly unresponsive. Firstly, it claims that I have no internet connection (which I do, since I am using my Vista machine to post this message), and when I hover over it, it displays a blank dialog box for about 10-15 seconds, which then fades away without displaying any information.

I must say this is the oddest problem I've experienced. If you need me to, I can list IPs and MAC addresses for all machines. I'm on a secured network.

Thanks for looking into this strange issue.

Eszett

one love
Done and done. My Vista computer is recognizing the ME computer and the one shared resource, though ME isn't reciprocating this good favor.

Thing is, though, Vista prompts me for a username and password when I'm trying to access the folder. I have no clue what to do! I've exhausted nearly every username and password combination I could muster. Do I need to give my Vista login password? my ME password? the password of the resource?

I'm up in arms, I tell you!